Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Idran posted:

Don't forget about Charlie and Jojo's plot, though, the whole thing with Benjamin; that wouldn't make any sense if Charlie didn't know that Transylvito had Parson.

Right, but Charlie's source for that information (as best I can remember, anyway) is Vanna telling him on that same page, and Vanna's intel has now been called into question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Jesus poo poo.

So the previous description of how she became Bad was "she broke an oath for reasons of love", right? Because that's...not accurate, even in the "from a certain point of view" sense.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Well, uh, if any ErfWorld page ever deserved a trigger warning, I'm pretty sure it's that one.

Yeah, I'm sort of letting myself get distracted by canon quibbling here, but I don't know if there's anything more to say than "jesus poo poo" to the rest.

Normally a line like "I think Prince Ponzie mighta been a sicker flip than Bill" would be some kind of false moral equivalence, but the position Bill was in when Caesar entered the room...well, jesus poo poo.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

One: knowledge is power. Two: while this seems like it would really help the Thinkamancers, in practice it seems like more theater--giving Clarence an excuse to know what he knows about Charlescomm. (Especially if the deal is that Clarence personally receives the information, in which case it's not giving away anything Clarence doesn't already know, it lets him lie and distort as he sees fit, and it tells Charlie what exactly GK knows about him now.)

Three: being stuck in a room full of guns making bullets all day is like Sizemore's own personal hell.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The trial's been happening this whole time, it just hasn't been interesting enough to directly show. (Which is reasonable, considering how many other balls are in the air)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Huh. It's a little detail, but Vinny knowing to nod to Albert and then Duncan is the kind of thing that makes him Transylvito's ambassador.

Also, am I misremembering, or did we just cut from Ansom being at Jetstone to Ansom being here without any kind of resolution to the former? (The last thing I remember of that storyline was Tramennis saying Parson should come through the portal to Jetstone, so it's understandable that storyline got cut off. Probably just gonna be covered by a quick flashback where Ansom was awkwardly waiting around that crappy room for a few turns.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

This is delightful.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Why is Jed so lonely if he's got a raging party full of elves happening in his head?

Everyone's probably treating him as a building instead of a person.

Also, it occurs to me that getting an archon drunk and asking how it really feels about Charlie is another good way to keep the city safe. Making sure there's not another Ossomer at a crucial moment is pretty important. Same as what Jack was doing with Ansom before he left to Jetstone, except Jack didn't go the "in vino veritas" route.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Maybe this is by design, but I'm confused about what happened in that last panel. Did Ansom try to attack and fail so spectacularly that all he did was make a marshmellow cry, or what?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Nice. Nice.

I hope Parson takes credit for this after they all kill each other.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

You know. I'm still not sure if Tramennis drastically miscalculated or he wanted Ansom captured for whatever reason. Or maybe he was right, given that Jillian didn't dust him on sight, and it's just going to be extremely strained diplomacy.

Either way, tearing down not just Ansom as he is but Ansom as he was is pretty brutal. Tramennis described it as a show he was putting on for his court, but I bet the main thrust was to try to remind Ansom how much he valued the men under his command, much like how Ossomer turned back by being reminded of what he used to value.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Aumanor posted:

Something that one of the commenters on the Erfworld site noted and that struck me as quite brilliant: We do not actually know what the bracer said in this particular case. The only thing we know is the answer Ben gave to Don.

I don't think that's where this is going, but that's a pretty good point. Ben's previously been really strongly on Caesar's side--"before making this gem, talking to Caesar's exactly what I gotta do" comes to mind.

That said, this is probably just the limitations of the bracer. If it can only calculate odds using information known to the side, then of course its answer is going to be almost exactly what the chief warlord says.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I just realized part of the reason Caesar was so quick to believe Jack and Parson about Jillian turning on her allies and backstabbing them is probably because of that one time she turned on him and tried to stab him.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So this has me looking through back the rest of the book.

page 61 posted:

A very long time ago, when she had not truly known her own heart, or Don's, or Prince Ponzie's, she'd made a choice. Because of it, she had forever lost her connection to those who shared her craft. She had lost her voice. And her lover had lost his life.

For a few thousand turns, perhaps, Bunny had dwelt in the agony of regret. But eventually, she just gave it no thought anymore. This was simply her life now.

That was a dangerous thing to do, where such a hard lesson was concerned. She had forgotten not to fall in love. And now it seemed a hauntingly similar choice loomed ahead.

Now I'm 100% certain they hadn't actually thought out what had happened, since the choice ended up being "continue enduring constant emotional/physical/psychic abuse or let someone know about her experiments with Bill", and that's not "hauntingly similar" at all.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Thanks for that--I read it on my phone, so I didn't realize it was legible writing at all.

Also, "Charlie is a fallen titan who stole the Arkendish and plans to overthrow the other gods" is a hell of a gambit. I have no idea how it's going to work out, but it's pretty clever to take advantage of Charlie's air of mystique by defining him on Parson's own terms. (I think it came up in one of the early Book 2 text updates that GK sort of did this before, by claiming that Charlie was a Toolist as well, which meant no one in the RCC2 would even talk to him except Jillian.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Did Rob confirm that he wrote "flexural"? Because it may kinda sorta make sense but it's still a really, really odd word to use.

I'm surprised too.

Also, I really hope the next comic depicts what Maggie's doing by rotating Jed 90 degrees to the right.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I like the effect they use for Jack doing his trick.

I'm also excited that they're going to just Metal Gear Solid their way out instead of negotiating. It means not getting the bracer back, but it seems like that was on the verge of becoming a deus ex machina anyway. Maybe they can croak Bill on the way to the portal.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

In which Parson goes through this exact chain of thought:

Bobulus posted:

I feel like they still have a chance at an alliance here.

Rand Brittain posted:

Or they could just show up at the bargaining table in the morning, having freed themselves through means nobody knows, and be all "yeah, we could have escaped, easy, but we decided we'd rather be allies."

and then heads back to his usual MO. :unsmigghh:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

isndl posted:

For someone who was quick to push Ansom's buttons for an advantage, Parson seems unwilling to recognize that torture is his button and Transylvito was pushing it, even if unwittingly.

This is a weird parallel to draw. Parson exploited Ansom's pride. Caesar burned Parson and beat him so hard his ribs broke. The situations aren't really comparable in any sense. Parson's not getting righteously offended and indignant about torture in the abstract, he's pissed because he almost bled to death on a cold dungeon floor. (And the same thing or worse happened to his two best friends.)

Anyway, I have no idea where this is going to go. Janis getting ready to cast a peace spell over the Magic Kingdom feels like the real gun loaded over the fireplace here, though.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm still hoping that the whole Arkenshoes thing is a lie, a bluff, or just a partial truth, because compared to the other Tools, the shoes are just kinda... boring.

"Not every smart plan is a good one." Nice turn of phrase, Wanda. Actually sounds like something he might say.

The events of Book 0 appear to be canon, and they were definitely real there (as opposed to the parts of the story which were hallucinatory.)

But the shoes disappeared with their owner, so it might be that the fourth "known arkentool" is something else (since Charlie went to some extreme lengths to suppress all information related to those events).

Rygar201 posted:

Infinite Move and Teleportation are super strong strategic powers. As long as you have units doing stuff you don't have to end turn right? Unknown you can't just idle but given subjective Erfworld time, Infinite Move seems awesome.

In Book 0 Jillian "let the turn end on its own", and more recently a text update referred to the turn "growing stale", so presumably there's some kind of limit. (I think there pretty much has to be, or otherwise Charlie would just never let his turn end and call that a win.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

This is probably the worst possible person who could've found them since, even though it hasn't come up in ages, Turnamancy can apparently let people do stuff they otherwise couldn't off-turn.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Honestly, that sounds like the kind of thing you tell your co-conspirator so she doesn't suss out out you're about to rain down hellfire.

He lied to us through visual metaphors! I hate it when people do that.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I only remembered him because of the Beetlejuice discussion ITT.

Anyway, besides amnesty, they can offer to hire him and get him out of the MK, which is what Claud wanted and Charlie denied. (Which also gets them someone who knows more about making guns on their side.)

Of course, the real question is if Claud's too afraid of Charlie to help, which is very possible since he knows exactly what kind of force Charlie has on hand.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Taerkar posted:

I'm nursing a suspicion that the new royal will be a carnymancer.

The heir's probably gonna have some of Vanna's signamancy because that's who Don's been screwing and (if Albert is any indication) that seems to have an effect on it.

So combining game shows with Italian vampires gets you Snookie from Jersey Shore or something.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Don's counter-offer is great though.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Posting the number like that reminds me that the first book finished up 35 pages earlier than this, and I can't even see an end in sight for this one if the fight in the MK wasn't it.

Anyway, "don't be structuralist" is a good line. Mainly because you could replace Signamancy with "Derrida Magic".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So I'm assuming it didn't just say "100%" at the end, since if Parson's theory is right it'll end up back on his arm with or without Benjamin croaking, but it must've been a lot higher than Ben would've liked or he would've just waved it in Parson's face instead of being like "y'know what, I just remembered I left the king on in the other room"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Onmi posted:

I think Rob just realizes that it's better drama for we, as the readers, to not know immediately.

I figure it's more that giving the exact number is kind of irrelevant if it's not 0 or 100. Dramatically speaking, we know it's something that makes him end the conversation immediately, which is the important part.

NihilCredo posted:

Eh, I doubt that's the reason. If Parson and Benjamin fight the battle together on the same side, Ben will relay to the bracer any question Parson wants to ask.

Aside from that being less efficient, I think Parson's reasoning is basically correct here: the items were part and parcel of his summoning. The lucky charms box described the sword, the 3D glasses and the bracers as an effect of the spell compensating for Parson not being perfectly suited to Erfworld. Units pop with their weapons, warlords can con other units, and as the scene with Caesar comparing his gut to the bracer showed, good ones tend to have a decent intuition about situations concerning the side. Parson's items effectively granted him the "perfected" version of those three traits.

(It's also likely that the scroll would cause those items to disappear, much like the Arkenshoes disappeared with Judy.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

I have no idea if this post was made before or after the most recent text update but if it was before, drat. :holymoley:

Heh, thanks. (It was before; the update went up pretty late.)

This update reminds me of this page. Offering him the scroll is like offering Jillian the ring--trying to gauge what kind of person they really are. We've seen Parson admit that he could never leave his side safer with him than without, and even admit to himself he actually cares about everyone at GK, but Don needs to see that for himself.

Either that, or Parson and Caesar's fears were right and Charlie was able to get Vanna to turn Don even while imprisoned, in which case the back-burner plot about the Transylvitans' various true loyalties is about to come to a very quick boil.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I have no idea where the comic's going with these guys. Which is a good thing--throwing some wild cards into the mix is just what the MK side of the plot needed after all the dealmaking basically ensured the outcome of the trial.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

If you get underneath the bedrock, don't you just fall forever?

You're very clever, young man, but it's bedrock all the way down.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

This still seems like a really bad idea from Don, given that "turned units have notoriously low loyalty".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

It's a somewhat contextual thing. That's generally in the context of "kidnapped an enemy warlord, stuck them in the dungeon until they turned." Very different from "barbarian caster formerly of a very closely allied side."

Well at least Caesar agrees with me. :colbert:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

This is all building up to the punchline n'erf.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I'm sure I'm gonna get tired of Charlie's plans unraveling someday.

But not yet. That's what happens when you don't do a Spy Check!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I'm still not clear on what things a ruler can sense vs. what they have to use a thinkamancer for, but "one of your capital sites is under attack" really seems like it should be something a ruler knows.

Unless she just means an attack is imminent, I guess.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Also, if the point here is just to decrypt Marie, I don't see why he'd have to steal the Arkenpliers for that--they could have just taken Marie's body when they free Wanda and decrypt her on the other side of the portal.

Janis already told Sizemore she wanted Marie decrypted. Between that conversation and her asking Sizemore to do something that violates his duty, she received some Predictamancy we haven't seen yet. So whatever exactly is happening depends on information we're not yet privy to.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

This is referencing a text-only plot development from over seven years ago which has barely ever been brought up since, which I only remember because of the terrible pun.

Also technically that means these guys aren't human.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

scuba school sucks posted:

Are they juggling Order of the Stick's balls? "Bottom line, it's just not that hard to fly through a mountain pass, even a mountain pass full of giants." Meanwhile Order of the Stick has been trying to fly through a mountain pass for the past eight weeks.

I had figured that was another baseball reference I was missing, but wow.

That would probably be a better joke if this guy had any room to criticize someone on either update frequency or the amount of comics dedicated to characters going places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Re the comic's front page: how do you even spend 1000+ dollars in Erfworld store credit.