Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I caught this 11" son of a bitch on a Ned Rig in a park in the middle of Seattle, and I can finally post in this thread! I am very proud, and very grateful to Mssr. Bongwizzard for turning me on to the Ned Rig. It catches hella bass and the occasional trout, too!

On Saturday I'm going to the coast to stand in the surf to fish for Red Tails. I am so loving excited to get back in my waders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

The trout tasted exceptional. I dredged it in seasoned flour and fried it in butter, whole. The meat was very sweet and picked cleanly off the bones. City Trout: A+, would eat every day (and the health advisories say that I could, too!).

I caught it in Green Lake in Seattle, which is a total gem. It has a three mile walking path around it which is very popular, but hardly anybody fishes it outside of the weeks immediately after WDFW stocks it. By this time of year the stockies usually get relatively big. This may be the largest rainbow trout I've ever caught, having grown up fishing in fast, shallow mountain rivers in Idaho. Here were some of the small bass that I caught leading up to it:

This little butthole almost hooked himself in the eye. I got the hook out and there didn't appear to be much damage, but I wonder if I should have just put it out of its misery.

Probably the largest I caught that morning, but you can't tell from the perspective.

The blurriest smallmouth (I think?)

I stopped taking pics after this one, but they kept biting.

All hail the ned rig! Also it's worth mentioning that I was fishing off of a pier and it was not possible to keep the fish in the water to dehook them. I wetted my hands before handling and they were out of the water for as little time as they could possibly be.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh? Where? I'm in port orchard squidding n stuff.

I am ordering squid jigs today! I'm considering picking up a spotlight or something at Harbor Freight as well. In addition to being delicious, squid are good surfperch bait. As are razor clam feet. gently caress I want razor clams now.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I got skunked surf fishing on Saturday, but it was nice to get out in the waves. I need to get better at reading the water; I don't think I'm finding the troughs between the breakers where they like to hang out. I'm going razor clamming next weekend and my buddy and I are going to try again to get some red tails. This is quickly becoming obsession for me: they're delicious, the season is year round, and the limit is ten per day. The day I limit I will open some nice whiskey or something.

So to cleanse the bad taste of getting skunked on Saturday, on Sunday morning I went back to my pier at Green Lake and caught hella bass again. It was wet but not cold, and I caught so many small bass that I didn't bother recording most of them.

This smallmouth fought really hard. It was barely dawn so the pic sucks, but the fish was gorgeous.

This motherfucker. This motherfucker here. 11.5", 22oz. Washington has a cutoff where you're allowed 5 to keep bass per day, but only if under 12" except one of them (and only one) can be over 17". This one just barely counted, and I'm eating this motherfucker for dinner tonight.

I totally understand Bongwizzard's disinclination toward eating bass, but my lake is lousy with them and I fish to fill the freezer as much as I fish for sport. The little ones go back to get big, and the big ones come home with me. Also speaking of freshwater fish to eat, what kind of rig setup does one use to catch trout in a lake? I've only done so by accident, but I'd love to make city trout a regular part of my diet.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

You actually want to throw the bigger ones back to spawn as they have the best success rates. If you wanna eat them like 12-15" is the sweet spot in terms of growing a fishery.

Dang, exactly the size that WDFW won't let me take! Well poo poo, I want to be responsible and ethical while still eating my catch when possible. I'm going to send them an email and see what they suggest. Green Lake appears to be a healthy fishery but I don't want to do anything to gently caress that up. And that sucks about your slow day at the pond, man. Given your love of bass and your desire to surf fish, though, you should make it a point to catch a striper when you get the opportunity. You'll be able to feel good about eating it, too.

LingcodKilla posted:

Hit me next time you go to the coast for surf perch. You should really be finding a squid spot. The action is pretty good right now.

I got to talking with a dude on the pier Sunday morning and he said that the public pier at Edmonds is hot poo poo for squid from like 8-11pm, so I'm definitely going to check that out. I also notice that it's a short distance from the ferry to Harper Pier, so that's actually on my radar also.

And thanks for the trout recommendations, all. I've tried power bait and marshmallows and that kind of poo poo in the past, but I must not be doing it right. I have a two rod endorsement so I could have a passive rod fishing one way while I actively fish a lure with the other, but that always winds up being way more work than I think it will. What that probably means is that I'm a whiny bitch who needs to practice more.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

This reminds me of ol' Juanelo, he's always talkin about taking the little bass cause the biologists tell him to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5RAQ2LYqe0

He makes some heinous looking food, lol.

Low-Carb Fish Cakes a New Way (with the usual horseplay)

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

If there is a management plan in place then just do what they say, most spots around me are managed to remove small/medium bass, your lake seems to be all about that trout;

If they are managing for trout then getting rid of bigger bass makes sense.

Thank you for pointing this out! I've come around to your way of thinking about the bass, though. The bass tasted alright, but fighting it was more fun. The trout get stocked every spring, so unless the bass eat all of them I'm going to toss them back. There are supposed to be channel catfish in there also, so I'm going to try to get into that. Monster carp, too. You'll occasionally see eastern European or Asian dudes fishing for carp in there. You don't even need a license for it. They are supposed to be really fun to fight so I wouldn't mind catching one, but I'd never go full-English about it.

Speaking of carp, I buy a lot of tackle and lures from China through AliExpress and eBay, and virtually every item description has the word carp in it somewhere. Sometimes they misspell it as crap and that makes me smile.

Also the 7-Eleven near the north end of Green Lake sells fishing tackle, which amused me.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Uh speaking of Carp I just saw a 2 to 2.5 foot Koi in my lake/pond/river thing. It was loving hilarious, I have no idea how that thing lasted so long. It hangs out at the top of the water and I followed it for around 10 minutes. You can see it from like 50 feet away, I lost it and refound it 3 times

Was it like this?

People throw unwanted pet goldfish in lakes and ponds and they can grow enormous. They're horribly invasive and can out-compete with native fish pretty easily.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Speaking of invasives, I got my first snakehead today!

Went on a little hike/fish outing today and walked by this nice little marsh and made a few casts with a Ned rig. At first I thought I had hooked a pickerel as I could feel it thrashing and spinning underwater, I was shocked as hell when I got him up. Like, sure, the marsh is next to one of the best snakehead rivers in the area, but it wasn't at all on my mind.

This is super dope! I'm glad that they don't appear to be wrecking the local fishery because that sounds like a lot of fun to catch.

joem83 posted:

I was trying to think of something to do on my birthday. I'm kinda weird because unless something is done on my ACTUAL birthday, it has no significance to me as a birthday celebration event. Maybe I'm not that weird, but my wife sure thinks so. Although, this is coming from a family who will celebrate a birthday 2 months after it happens and think nothing of it. Maybe I'm the normal one?

ANYWAY, I decided I wanted to go fishing on my birthday. I was going to go bass fishing or something, but then I realized that bass fishing kinda sucks in the winter (birthday is in December). THEN I realized that the winter is MFin' trout season! I think I'm going to rent a cabin for a night at a nearby but distant mountain type lake all by myself, eat some horrible man type dinner that will consist of nothing but sausage & bread, and then get up at 5 AM to go trout fishing the entire next day. I'm pretty excited. I don't know why I'm giving this very Cool Story Bro here on this forum, but dammit, if someone will appreciate the idea they will probably be a reader of this thread.

Long story short, I'll probably stop drinking now.

Catch trout and drink rye. Enjoy a sunrise joint if your state allows for it.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

drat, the boat rental really sweetens that deal! Maybe next year? Book now and forget about it, then it will be like a gift to yourself.

Speaking of boats, it sounds like next spring one of my buddies is going to have access to a private boat launch on Hood Canal. I cannot tell you how excited I am about this. I'm also going back to the coast this weekend for razor clams and another attempt at surf perch. LCK, I'm not sure which beach we're going to yet, but I will keep you informed.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Babby's First Surf Perch. Wasn't able to meet up with LCK this time, but hopefully by the time that I do I'll know what the gently caress I'm doing. I felt nibbles but no real set hooks; the only reason why I got this rear end in a top hat is that he swallowed the hook. I'm going to switch to circle hooks and not wade out so deep next time.

Clam tide was well after dark at 8:30, but people were starting to show up at sunset and it was pretty.

Limited on something for once!

Also, :justpost: about fishing!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Yeah, the inevitable work time has come. I lost my mind the other week and bought a fancy pants casting combo. I got a reasonably good deal on a reel and was like man I guess my hand is forced, I gotta buy a rod asap instead of waiting a loving month or two for BF like a sane adult. It was like a robbery gone bad, I freaked out, shot a guard, then just killed everyone. Where in everyone is my bank account. So I felt really bad and took a bunch of work that I hate to try and atone for my idiocy. Combo is sick as gently caress but I have had it out twice and have yet to catch a fish on it because I suck.

Steez SV Limited on a GLoomis GLX MBR783.

It's so lightweight that I thought I was going throw it out of my hands on the first few casts. I got it to be my primary walkin around rod. I never take more than one when fishing the bank or wading so figured I would go nuts. I had been using a SV105 on a IMX CR723, but I wanted a little more length for throwing moving baits and more sensitivity for bottom contacts. The rod has been in production for like 20 years and is commonly considered the benchmark for a great "all around" bass rod. I found a dealer sample so I dodged MSRP but still dumb money. If the weather cooperates this weekend I am going to out both days and fish it until I drop.

The color matching so well is 100% happenstance but it would be a lie to say I was anything less than superbly pleased by it. I think I am going to spring for some fancy cork knobs for the reel and call it done.

You made the right decision. Please share your experiences as you become more comfortable and confident with the casting reel. They intimidate me and I fear change.

Edit: Also, surf perch fillets make the best fried fish sandwiches and fried razor clam strips in cornmeal dredge are the bees' knees.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 10, 2017

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

Low profile baitcasters are really not too hard to learn how to use. I looooove them. Don't be afraid!

Thinking about getting a cheap one for catfish.

So I was having trouble setting hooks when I was on the coast this weekend. I'm switching to offset circle hooks, but I may cut my bait a bit smaller, too. Has anybody else had similar issues?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I had a reel seize up on me recently, but fortunately it only set me back $30 on AliExpress. It was entirely my fault, too, so I'm chalking it up as a learning experience. Use sand spikes on the beach when possible, my dudes.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Enigma posted:

What kind of hooks were you using that you had trouble setting?

Also, doesn't being offset defeat the whole purpose of being a circle hook (i.e. not gut-hooking fish)? I only ever use inline circles.

I was using baitholder J-hooks. I think that circle hooks are supposed to be harder to swallow since they're wider than J-hooks. I don't think that the hook being offset would change that, but I'm not 100% on that. I catch surf perch to eat, also, so while I prefer that the fish not be gut-hooked to minimize suffering, it is almost certainly not long for this world regardless. Getting the hook set and the fish landed is my main concern.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

It isn't so much the size of the hook that matters, its the shape that causes the hook to turn in the fish's mouth and catch it in the corner of the jaw as it swims off. I think the issue with offset circles is that the point can catch on other parts of the mouth as the hook turns so you don't necessarily avoid gut or gill hooking the fish.

With circles you need to be very careful to avoid clogging the gape of the hook with bait, and they seem to be more effective if you use baits that can be swallowed whole because if the fish has to sit there breaking the bait into bite size pieces you are less likely to hook it up as it swims off.

Enigma posted:

Yeah, the benefit of circles is the point is directed at the shank. If the hook is swallowed, it should come back out without snagging anything (most of the time). The shape also causes it to locate and pierce the corner of the fish's mouth. An offset circle will likely mean more hookups since the hook is more likely to catch *something* - but the *something* might be the fish's gut.

You don't set circles so much as take in the slack and allow the fish to hook itself. If you try to set it like a J-hook, you will pull the hook out of the fish's mouth nine times out of ten.

When baiting a circle hook, you may need to step up in hook size. You want to make sure the point is unobstructed.

This is exactly what I was hoping to learn. Thanks! If I start hooking guts with any regularity I will use some pliers to reset the offset. I'm definitely going to start cutting my clam necks into smaller pieces, too. I was going for the tactic of using (probably way too much) bait to obscure the hook, but I think I was giving the fish too much credit and loving myself out of some good bites in the process.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Yup, I'm keeping my hooks small. I was using #4 hooks and not setting them and my buddy was using #2 and caught way nicer fish than mine. I've read guides recommending as small as #6 and #8, but that seems unnecessary since I've seen good perch hit larger ones.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sockington posted:

Caught my personal best walleye this morning (big version of a yellow perch, to continue our perch talk). 22 inches.

Tell us about walleye fishing! I have no experience with it, but I associate it with Great Lakes fishing. I've never lived in the upper midwest, but it seems like a whole different beast with a bunch of inland seas all over the place.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 11, 2017

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rape Stink posted:

Many pics of excellent fish

These are excellent pics of excellent fish, forums user "Rape Stink."

Sockington posted:

I live next to the St. Clair River, which connects Lake Huron and Lake St. Clair (which is a Musky heaven). The St. Clair river has a lot of walleye in it, so it's what I am going for most of the time for eating fish.

Awesome, thanks! What's your favorite way to eat walleye? Seems like it would be good in the smoker.

joem83 posted:

You saltwater fisherman, question for ya. How sensitive is "freshwater" gear to salt? I ask because I've taken my Lew's baitcaster combo out to fish the bay a couple times. The first time I went, I was high + maybe a little bit drunk, and I lost my footing on the rip rap. I fell, my rear end went into the water, and my entire rod/reel went into the water. I rinsed it thoroughly and oiled all the parts I could without completely disassembling it, but it developed a squeak and now I'm all paranoid to take it back out to the salt.

A brief dunk shouldn't kill it, and you did the right thing by rinsing it right away. You might keep oiling it and working the action to make the squeak go away, but if it feels like it's seizing up that's bad news. If it works and it just squeaks, though, maybe that is now your designated saltwater reel since it has already been baptized.

I want to ask the thread's opinion about something. More than one surf perch guide I've read have recommended 20-30 lb. test for mainline, but that seems excessive to me since the chances of catching a surf perch >4lbs are virtually zero. I use 8 lb. braid and haven't experienced any problems, even when casting 4oz sinkers. Am I asking for trouble?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Also 8lb braid with a 4oz sinker tied on it sounds like a weapon from a Shaw Brothers kungfu movie or like a redneck version of a monofilament whip from Shadowrun.

It will certainly slice the poo poo out of your (my) finger when you're (I'm) casting if you're (I'm) not careful. A good way to remind yourself that you are made of meat. And it was a reoccurring theme in my group's Shadowrun game to have monofilament shoelaces for casual, stealthy garroting.

Anyway, I tie my SP rigs/terminal tackle with 20lb test flouro for shock absorption. There isn't much danger of accidentally catching something huge on the Washington coast unless you get deep. 8 lb braid mainline seems to me like it should be enough, but I'm usually inclined to go as light as possible and might not be taking all things into account.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sockington posted:

The satisfaction when he grabbed on my second cast is unparalleled. "I adapted and it worked. Holy poo poo"

This is such a good feeling. Also your weapon of choice would slay during salmon runs, especially if it was pink. My buddy doesn't even bother with the grub part and just casts out a pink jighead with a bare hook. Local prevailing wisdom here is that they will hit anything pink, and on the odd-numbered years when the pink salmon run you will not be able to find a 4" pink buzz bomb for love or money.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

You guys are catching excellent fish! And sticks.

I caught a couple of small bass on Saturday morning, but nothing worth posting. I want to go salmon fishing but I'm in the middle of moving hell. Hopefully by the end of the month, though. Also, there were some chicken livers on sale at the store so I bought a couple of pounds for crab or catfish bait. Anybody catch a lot of catfish in this thread?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Danthrax posted:

I've caught so many (unwanted) catfish I should change my name to Tinder.

... go on.

Enigma posted:

Went out on an all-day vertical jigging trip this weekend and, after a nice long fight, managed to haul in a nice amber(almaco?)jack, which smoked up quite nicely!

I am so loving jealous.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Danthrax posted:

Tampa Bay is chock full of gafftopsail and hardhead catfish, neither of which are particularly fun (mostly due to the toxic slime and barbs). Gafftops are tasty but a pain to clean. I've witnessed them eat the following: dead shrimp, live shrimp, dead pinfish, live pinfish, dead greenbacks, live greenbacks, chubs, frozen finger mullets, cut squid, DOA shrimp, Gulp shrimp, and chunks of Oscar Mayer hotdog.

drat, I didn't even know that venomous catfish existed! That's wild. Are they fun to fight? Catfish seem to like the same poo poo that crabs like, which is basically whatever they can get.

Sockington posted:

You're not alone.

Pulled a pair in before work today. I was just looking to make a few casts with the new rod, but got a bite on my second and third casts. Check the clock, and "oh poo poo it's almost work". Ran home and got them cleaned and to work on time. :chef:

This rules so much. I hope that I can dial in how to get trout reliably in my local lake so I can catch dinner before work, too.

This thread is inspiring and I look forward to posting my first salmon in it. Hopefully November will be good to me.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Enigma posted:

The saltwater catfish are a different matter from the freshwater ones. I don't know of anyone who tries to catch saltwater catfish, eats them, or is even remotely happy to have hooked one what with the barbs and venom. Out of ignorance since he's not much of a fisherman, my dad once tried to step on one to hold it in place to dehook it and got stabbed right through the sole of his shoe.

The few saltwater cats I've caught were small and put up zero fight whatsoever, even compared to other fish of their size. I'd rather catch seaweed.

I seriously had no idea. I'm grateful that the peskiest things that take my bait in saltwater are Dungeness crabs. They can pinch you, but at least they taste good. I'm going to be catfishing in freshwater and the extent of my knowledge is channel good, bullhead bad.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Nah just let it tow you around for a bit until it's tired, bang it on the head, cut its throat and get it on ice ASAP. Flake is loving delicious

Dude I really want to see some of your fish if you have any to post.

I cannot wait for my loving squid jigs to arrive, and I'm going to run myself ragged this weekend to finish moving if I can. I'm sick of not fishing.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I got a gummy shark on the weekend, I didn't get a photo of it though. The wind looks like it'll be ok for a fish this weekend although it will be against the run out tide in the afternoon which will make fishing at anchor a headfuck and will probably put an end to the session.

Here's one I got a while ago

:bisonyes:

Kayak fishing looks so fun. I'd love to get into it if I had anyplace to store one.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

This book cover is perfect in every way.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

How do they deal with floaters?

Very carefully.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Just bought another 50W, gonna put a poo poo ton of 80lb braid on this one and use it off the beach, paddling big baits out in the yak or floating them out under a balloon for sharks

It'll do for a second heavy trolling setup too

What's your go-to rig for beach casting?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

This is so cool to learn about. You're in Florida, right? I'm extremely jealous of your options.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Reporting back to say he was loving delicious

I'm keeping this one for later. Awesome.

My squid jigs should arrive this week, and hopefully I will be finished moving and actually be able to use them. LCK, how strong of a spotlight do you need? We have a handheld rechargeable one at work that I could borrow, but if you need something that requires like a car battery I will need to do some digging.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Just got the email saying my little pond got 400 trout dumped into it this morning, my swimbait combo is in my car, and I am leaving work in 8 min.

The excitement is tempered by my 5:0 ratio of hooked to landed bass with my bluegill swimbait, but I am gonna take a razor to the trout one and see if that helps with hookups.

:justpost: :coolfish:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

There are good rods and bad rods on AliExpress; I have bought both types. AE seems to be better for casting rods than spinning rods, but I did get a very decent spinning rod for salmon for less than $30.

I buy a lot of tackle and lures on AliExpress and international sellers on eBay. It's awesome to pay $1 for a lure instead of $6, but it's always good to pay attention to the measurements of the items themselves. The numbering system for hooks and swivels and poo poo has absolutely no international standard. It's totally worth it as long as you don't need the item within a month or ordering it, and it's fun to find a bunch of little packages from overseas in your mailbox.

And speaking of ultralight rods, I picked up a Shakespeare Micro ultralight rod on Amazon for like $20. It's what I've been using for my Ned rig setup and I've been really happy with it so far. It's a really good option if you're trying to get your ultralight feet wet without spending a lot, and it would be a good loaner rod if you find a nicer one to replace it.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

And if you need dick-shaped spoon lure, here you go!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

My squid jigs finally arrived! :peanut: I don't care if I'm dog tired from moving this weekend, I'm going night fishing.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

In addition to the shad rigs, definitely look into Ned rigs/Midwestern Finesse also. BongWizzard turned me on to it and it practically catches bass by accident.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:smith: Getting skunked is the worst. Do you do ice fishing at all up there? That's a sphere of fishing that I know hardly anything about, other than getting drunk in a shack watching hockey.

I have a date on the calendar for salmon in a coastal river on the peninsula. I'll be going for coho and chum to keep, but there might be chinook running in there too. I wouldn't be able to keep any of those, but I'd love to land one.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It's hard to go fishing with my car in the shop. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Did anybody catch a fish this weekend?