Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My local sports store has started carrying zman products, including a decent selection of their chatterbaits. They even have the super pricey jackhammers thay everyone fishing for money seems to use. I picked up a couple of the 3/8 jackhammers, one in green pumpking with white and chartreuse and a black and blue. Now if it would just not be so blistering hot out, I could go throw them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

drat it, why isn't icast open to the public, its 2 hours away from me and they have so many shiny new things I wanna find out more about. :argh:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd think an ugly stick would be better used as a whip than a bludgeon. It'd leave some nasty welts.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

joem83 posted:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Spiralite_Custom_Rods/catpage-SPIR.html

These look pretty cool, you don't see a lot of acid wrapped rods for sale out there. Or maybe I just don't look for them, lol. Most every time I've seen them they've been custom jobs.

edit: I'm also oddly excited for these. I bet they would be freaking KILLER with a 2" Keitech.
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamakatsu_Crappie_Jig_Head_5pk/descpage-GCJH.html

What the heck is an acid wrapped rod? Also, Ark rods fo lyfe. I love the 7'6" Viper medium heavy I bought last april and am already looking at saving up for a new rod from them.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/LIVETARGET_Hollow_Body_Crawfish_Jig/descpage-LTHBC.html
I'm betting these will be fantastic here in central/south florida. I spent most of my Okeechobee trip throwing some form of craw immitating bait.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Holy poo poo. Thats awesome looking. Seems like it would actually hurt casting distance with the line tightening around the rod though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Adjust your reel if you are backlashing that much dude. Also get out in your yard/alley/whatever and just practice making casts with an appropriately sized weight. Its like riding a bike one you get it down.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm curious why your mach 2 hates you. I've got a mach crush reel that has been used to throw punch weights, heavy jigs and texas rigs without issue. After I bought it, I put it on a 7'6" mh xf ark viper and currently have it on a 7'11" heavy fast veritas. I just loosened the tension knob way off, used the mag braking to do my actual braking adjustments and pitched/flipped anything that moved with it. Its probably worth mentioning that I learned from my dad, so I tend to do it the same way as him. Its probably wrong, but it works for me.

Edit: Although I am stuck on what to use for my next reel. I'm going to get a 7'3" mag mh ark invoker or sniper, but got no clue what to stick on it. My current list includes one of the new tatulas, a 13 fishing concept A or a quantum smoke s3. I think I just need to get hands on with each, but nowhere I know of sells each option.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 3, 2018

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Danthrax posted:

Florida goons (both current and former residents): Anybody have freshwater experience in the state? My sister lives in Winter Haven which is surrounded by lakes, and there's Lake Maggiore in St Pete that probably has at least seven fish in it. I'd like to fish from shore and kayak, but I have no idea where to begin. I'd also like to buy a dedicated freshwater baitcast rod/reel combo, any recommendations for something under $140 to get started? Buying it is a couple months away but I'd like to get some research done beforehand. I've gone from clueless idiot to partially-clueless novice when it comes to saltwater, and over the next year I'd like to work on doing the same with freshwater. I haven't fished in freshwater since I was a kid fishing for perch/trout with my dad using worms and bobbers. It seems like there are a thousand species to target in this state, and I wanna try and catch as many as possible. Help me fall down another rabbit hole/increase my chances of being eaten by a gator.

I live just north of there in the brooksville/spring hill area area, mostly trying for largemouth bass. Bluegill, shad and craw immitation baits will be the best bets since that'll be the basic forage stuff in the water here. I've done relatively little freshwater fishing in this area in the past, but am learning as well. Mostly trying jigs, chatterbaits, frogs and soft plastics depending on conditions and such. Water clarity and temp seems to make a massive difference here, clear water above 65, but not so hot it makes the bass lethargic specifically. I've heard october into december is really good, then jan into april/may as well. Summer seems to be tricky due to the heat.

I just rigged up a spinning reel with 10lb braid to try my hand at wacky rigged senkos/stick baits since they show 0 interest in more rapidly moving reaction baits.

As for a rod and reel recommendation, I'd probably get a med heavy baitcaster first. Something rated for 1/4-1oz, 12-20lb line preferably. For the reel, I'd balance the amount of line retrieved per turn with a decent drag and decent bearings.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 4, 2018

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It kinda looks like a crawfish, so possibly!

Also, holy poo poo how many tampa/st pete/clearwater fishing goons do we have!?!

Edit: Also, winter haven is near the Kissimmee chain. Which feeds okeechobee. And makes some big bass. :v:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 4, 2018

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've got a handful of those yozuri shrimp, they have a good action, look good in the water and such, but I can't catch poo poo with them. Thats likely more my fault than anything though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

God drat, that line rating and lire rating. I don't think I own a rod where my minimum weight rating is as low as your max. poo poo, I think I have hooks that exceed that. :catstare:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Saltwater and freshwater in florida, with freshwater in texas before I moved to florida. Even before I moved out here, I largely used a medium spinning rod with 10-12lb floro. Ultralight stuff just boggles the mind for me, partly I think because I've never actually seen it irl.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I got to sneak out for a bit today and play with one of my new rods. After around an hours drive, I got to Inverness, got parked and found out that 2 of my planned fishing spots on the main lake had closed in November and were going to remain closed for all of 2019. Welp. So instead I focused on the 3rd spot on a neighboring pond with an awesome dock around it. The water was so gin clear that I could see all the grass around me and in every spot was a clearly visible bed. Sadly, nothing on the beds because it was fuckoff cold (for florida at least) and the fish were likely hiding further out. But, I got to gently caress around with the new rod and found a new place to go once it warms up. And hopefully once the other parks open up, I'll get to fish those too. I think next I need to visit Lake Rousseau.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hooplah posted:

I found a few pics on fishbrain of people fishing ballinger posting "rainbow trout" that look pale like mine, so it might be a common thing in that lake.

People here keep tagging chain pickerel as northern pike, which is hilarious. Also, Fishbrain has been pretty awesome for doing my pond/river hopping thing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'll trade that for us having half a dozen varieties of sunfish, all of which have multiple loving names. Hell, having to explain to my dad that no, red ear and red breasted sunfish are not the same fish, they are in fact two distinct species of sunfish was painful enough. Also, the multiple kinds of shiner we have. And like half a dozen varieties of bass. None of which are smallmouth. These fucks need to quit telling me they caught a smallmouth.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've been trying to learn how to tie a few different braid to floro knots so I can use a short floro leader on my different rods. I use primarily braid due to the sheer amount of vegetation and structure everywhere here in my part of Florida, but would like something stealthier. The double uni knot seems to be easy enough to learn and I'll be trying different variations of the albright knot next, but does anyone have any other recommendations? Except the FG knot. So far every attempt has wound up with the floro leader slipping straight out of the wound up braid.

Edit: As a thank you, have a picture of my fishing spot yesterday. This entire pond was full on covered in pads. I didn't see a clearing bigger than about 10-15ft across.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 7, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

Are you applying enough tension as you do each wrap for the FG? Ideally with each wrap the braid should bite into the leader a little bit.

I've got as much tension as possible given I'm just pulling off a couple spools to try this out. I'll have to try it on line thats actually on a rod. And floro leader thats not older than poo poo. Its leftover from when I was making rigs for saltwater fishing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It was really pretty. Also, I really like the alberto knot. Seems to have excellent strength, easier to tie than the FG with a similar size knot. Thanks fishin' thread! :toot:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I went to the day 4 weigh in for the FLW tournament at Lake Toho. I won a fancy rod from Lews raffle and I can't find any info about it on the internet. :haw:

I'm not sure if its a promo only model or an early release of an upcoming refresh to the mach line. Its specs seem to match their custom speed stick line, but it has the fancy american wave guides. I think I'm gonna throw some good 12-15lb mono on it and use it as a dedicated squarebill crankbait and chatterbait rod. :toot:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sockington posted:

Here I am battling with 18” long ice fishing rods and you’re showing off that big long thang :blush:

End of the day pic before heading home Saturday night. Weather swings lately meant there was a lot of broken up ice a little further out at my normal spot.

I only managed a few but my fishing buddy tossed me his catch.

Thats honestly the shortest baitcaster I own.

I'd love to try ice fishing some time, but given its been around 80°f here this last week, I don't think thats gonna ever happen.

Also, your photos aren't loading in the app and it makes me sad. You catch neat stuff. :(

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 12, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

joem83 posted:

Is there anything worse than braid cuts right in the bends of your fingers?

I use a multi tool or some pliers to wrap braid around if I need to pull it out of a snag and don't want to use the rod to do it. Also, my last package from tackle warehouse arrived. I'm pretty sure this is the fishing equivalent of taking that first hit off the crack pipe.

A few years from now I'll be homeless in a alleyway behind the tackle store offering to suck dick so I can buy another roman made mother swimbait and a new spool of braid to throw it on. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Were they short striking it or eating it and spitting it back out? If they're short striking, maybe use something with a longer shanked hook like a shakey head or a wobble head?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Went out and caught my first 2 fish of 2019! I have a local preserve thats on the site of an old limerock or phosphate mine. The 50-70ft deep pits have filled in with water and has vegetation growing in some of it, so the florida wildlife nerds stock it with bluegill, bass, etc. First largemouth was ~10-11" and less than a pound, the next was about 14" and a pound to a pound and a half. It could have been more if I had figured out what they were doing earlier and not tried fishing in the absolute worst possible location for the first half of the day. It could also have been more if some dude who looked like a lovely 80's miami vice extra hadn't hadn't decided that the pocket I was fishing in (and getting bit in) was the perfect place to crank up some lovely house music and jump out of a tree into the water at. Fucker. But I am 100% going back there, it owned and fishing insanely steep rock ledges is something I've never done before.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sockington posted:

Similar results of no fish, but that’s life. called some guys over to play with my Johnson

No fish from our trip, but it ran like a top all day.

Top speed of 18km/h with the current and 12km/h against.

Thats a nice clean johnson. Did ya'll get it all lubed up good and proper? :heysexy:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I made friends with a scaley boi today. He followed me around for about 30 minutes either trying to decide if my lure was food or waiting for me to catch something so he could steal it. Jokes on him, I didn't catch poo poo.

Cold front moved in last night and had them hiding deep in the grass. I tried punching down into the heavier mats to see if I could get a nibble, but no such luck.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm ok with them when I'm on a dock 2 ft above his head. Otherwise, thats a straight nope.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've caught fish recently! They were very smol though.

I've been having a blast using flukes as a soft plastic jerkbait though. Its definitely an interesting presentation compared to crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs, chatterbaits and other soft plastics. Getting to watch the fluke dart around erraticly and then slowly fall down on slack line was very cool, even more so when I could see bass just beeline straight at the fluke from 10-20ft away and only stop when they noticed the chartreuse tail on the first fluke I was using.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Maybe chuck a superlight ned rig instead?

Edit: speaking of, I just nabbed some mushroom head jigs and some watermelon red trd craws. Gonna ned rig it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

What died in the tatula? I've been wanting one and tend to be not nice to my gear. :ohdear:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A black max is always a good option. Daiwa also has some sub $100 options that are supposed to be super nice for their price point in an "80 size" baitcaster. The CR80 has some good reviews at $80.

If you are willing to step up just a hair, the abu garcia revo x is a hell of a workhorse reel at $100.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 18, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sockington posted:

Casting braid on a super windy day is the only drawback. If your line even goes remotely slack, the wind makes a beautiful wind knot.

I've never really had this issue with braid and I've been using it almost exclusively for a decade. I tend to use 30lb as a all around line on baitcasters, 40 or 50lb on baitcasters for dealing with pads/grass mats/etc, 15 or 20 on spinning reels for finesse work (throwing 1/8 jig heads in heavy wind). I've been using a floro leader for all around and finesse situations, but never more than 6 ft or so. I'll retie when I get to 2 - 2 1/2 ft remaining. I find it much easier to deal with than mono or floro, but there are still applications where I'll use mono, such as a cranking setup or fishing chatter baits in grass to take advantage of its stretch.

Try a spool of daiwa j8 braid. Its mostly what I've been using for the last year, aside from seaguar kanzen. If you really wanna spend money, the seaguar smackdown braid is supposed to be absolutely top of the line stuff and has converted at least one person I know to throwing braid on everything.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Wan't meant as an attack or a "must defend braid", just a differing opinion. Sorry if it came off that way. I'd be willing to bet you could outfish me 10:1 on the ponds around here, and we ain't even got walters for you to target. Also you look 100% better in jorts. :biglips:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Not really. Mono has some very distinct advantages over braid and floro that make it useful for certain presentations and lures. Crankbaits and Chatterbaits are the two that readily come to mind. When fishing these lures in grass, they tend to bind up forcing you to rip them free. The stretch of mono gives it a much more gentle action when ripping free which will get the bait vibrating again rather than the sudden jerking motion of braid or floro. This on its own can trigger a fish to strike. The same thing with a jerk bait. The stretch in mono can impart a more natural motion compared to the violence of the other lines. Sometimes this is more desirable when you want a more subtle approach. The last way the stretch inherent to mono is useful is absorbing a fish's attempts to throw the hook when using smaller hooks and heavier rods, such as with treble hooks. Its sinking properity is also useful for getting a bait down easier and getting it deeper. I've got 6 rods in rotation. 5 are rigged with braid, the last is my lews (7' med hev/fast) rigged with sunline natural 14lb mono and is primarily for throwing shallow running cranks and chatter baits in and around grass and sees plenty of use.

A few brands have also come out with a premium monofilament line in recent years. Thinner and stronger but with the same properties that make mono desirable to use. Suffix is one and sunline also has a few premium monofilimant lines. I think more what we are seeing is mono no longer being the generic "go to" line and instead people are matching their line to the application.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Do you not keep a knife to cut a line if need be? Also, what are you gonna replace it with?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I made a friend while out fishing today! He was super interested in the contents of my bag of worms. Which is more attention than the fish paid to them. I may have skunked, but so did everyone else at the park. At least the old timers I talked to said I was dead on with my choice of a junebug colored strike king cutter worm and a walking frog.

Edit: I swear that rod and reel turns me into a disney princess. Last time I used it, the gator was following me around. This time it was birbs and a couple squirrels. Everything but fish.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 5, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Planet X posted:

I need a new rod. Mainly fish smallmouth. Dobins fury is what someone recommended, but would consider others.

Open face spinning reels too. Any good, quality go tos for 2-6 lb fish?

They have some dobyns furys at my local dicks. I've played with the 7' medium quite a bit. Great action and taper for doing stuff like ned rigs and shakey heads. It would be very high on my list of spinning rods to get, but I have an irrational hate for cork grips when compared to eva and winn grips. I also hate spinning rods with no grip in front of the reel seat due to how I hold them (2 fingers before and after the reel mounting thingy). If those things don't bother you, I'd say consider it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've seen a few submerged cages in an area of Okeechobee thats well known for putting out big bags in tournaments. It doesn't surprise me in the least that you've got guys cheating in a tournament with $15k+ grand prizes.

I've heard of mike long from a couple articles and the like, but never anything really fawning over him. gently caress that guy I guess. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

joem83 posted:

Dennis from security has kicked me out of this spot 4 times now, and every time I'm wearing the same exact thing more or less; he has yet to recognize me. He just gives me a "This is private property and you can't fish here" and I say "Ohhh, okay, sorry man. I didn't see any signs and nobody was out here so I figured it was no big deal."

The reel looks like a diawa tatula sv tws, but what rod is that? Its interesting looking.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I caught a feeesh. So far my biggest this year. He nailed that 13fishing ninja worm as soon as I got the slack reeled in and started my retieve. Little poo poo even managed to bend the tip of the spinner blade on my bladed swimbait hook during the fray. I got another blow up like 5ft from the bank, but wasn't able to get a good hookset and land him. Not bad for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

Edit: holy hell, gently caress the imgur app.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Went fishing for a quick 2 1/2 hours this morning. Tried a new pond in the park I've been fishing. I had some luck.

Hooked 6, landed 3, lost 3, only got pictures of the first two.

They were definitely feeling frisky. 5 of them smacked that crankbait, one hit the 5" swimbait rigged on an underspin. Almost all the strikes came in the same area and I didn't figure out why until I went further down the bank.

I was casting across the mouth of that little pocket and getting bit as I came over the end of that submerged point. Once I got to the other side, I could see bait stacked up in the small area between the bank and the underwater point. Obviously the fish were hanging out on the other side of the point waiting to ambush their prey as it came over the submerged point. A+ day, would happily fish again.

Sadly my box had only shallow (1-3ft) cranks, because I'd bet if I was dragging a crank around 5-10ft down, I'd be setting the hook on some bigger fish. I can let the swimbait drop down, but it wants to climb in the water column too quickly.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 13, 2019