Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

I am highly skeptical of that thing. The worst part of a hollow body frog is the atrocious hookup ratio.

A 4 to 6 inch soft swimbait rigged weedlessly and fished on top/subsurface is an excellent frog alternative, so much so that I have a combo mostly devoted to it, but I for sure want a big single hook right at the top of the plastic where it’s very easy to pop free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

Yeah I'm like 50/50 on hookup ratio but to be fair they always hit when I'm least expecting it!

50/50 is very good for frogs, even most pros say they don’t do much better. It’s It’s like half an issue with the nature of frog dishing, where the bass might end up with a mouthful of plant matter along with your frog, which might block the hook, but also hollow body frogs are designed for extreme weedlessness, not good hook ups.

I’m going to give the new-ish tailspiner frogs a try the season. I had a Sprinkler and really liked the way it moved, but goose stole it from here the first day I started throwing up and I have yet to buy another one, but the Booyah knock off is getting very good reviews and is about five bucks cheaper, so I’m going to try one of them as well.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

I wanted to try the sprinker out last year but it was like permanently sold out. Also when I say 50% I'm not implying any sort of skill. I've maybe caught 5 bass on the frog total and missed twice as many bites. The sample size here is very small.

Yea, the hype on that thing was crazy. I almost bought another one today but I resisted. I think the concept is a good one, but it seems like the Booyah version might work better.

I am giving 5” swimbaits as a cover/topwater presentation a go this year. I am trying the Gambler Big EZ and that thing is a beast. On a big weighted swimbait hook it weighs in a bit over 1oz and it will cast a mile. It looks pretty nice as a slow rolled swimbait too. I will be fishing the larger Keitechs on the same combo, but they are too fragile to throw into pads.

I feel like I have betrayed my finesse roots, but I am really digging my journey into powerfishing. There is one more heavy rod I have my eye on, but then I think I am done with the heavy stuff for a bit.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Lure chat is appreciated and valuable. I don't have a lot of experience with them, so it's really helpful to hear what works and doesn't work for y'all.

Yesterday evening I saw a guy wrangle a poop trout out of the lake. First one I'd ever seen in the flesh. It fought really hard and it looked like a lot of fun. Maybe one day if I limit on trout early (lol) I'll throw out some dough balls.

Seriously considering contacting this person. I was just looking at the prices for good peddle-powered fishing kayaks and :suicide:. This would be a good happy medium until I have cash and space for a kayak, at least for lakes.

Check out this guy's videos;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXGYBePRuXU&list=PL36A6B7874F6F6567
He fishes from a float tube and you can get a sense for what they are like. I would love one, but I already have some under-used inflatable watercraft I need to get out on first.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Nothing exciting, just a pair of pack-rafts that my bro and I have not used once in the two years I’ve owned them. This is the year however, if we don’t use them I’m going to sell them off next winter.

joem83 posted:

I think you can fish flukes similar to that method, like topwater or on top of crap.

Yeah, flukes are great as they can be finished throughout the entire water column, depending on your level of patience. I use them on lighter line, like 10-12lb floro or mono and with a M power rod, so I never use them in heavier cover. They are a great lure and plenty of dudes fish them on heavier tackle.

I am almost always down for tackle chat if people are interested.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

:justpost:

I'd love to hear about y'all's experience with topwater lures. Fish jump like crazy at my local during dawn and dusk, and that's when I start fantasizing.

Topwater fishing is just a lot of jump-scares. I am going to give it a bigger go this year by finding a lure or two that will work with whatever rod I happen to have it with me that day. I did buy a combo specifically for poppers/walker (and jerkbaits in winter!).

Its an Alderberan 50 on an Avid 6’2” M/XF. It’s amazing little rod and it’s been pretty remarkably versatile. I have a spinning rod with an almost identical rating and I think the two of them are going to become mainstays of my kayak fishing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

I like the paint job on that popper. Or walking bait. Whatever it technically is.

It’s both! Its a Megabass PopMax and the color is called “chartreuse viper” and it is an absolutely sick color scheme. I’ve never really desired a sports car, but if I had one that is the exact paint scheme I would want on it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

I would put that thing into a tree or something so fast, knowing me.

It only comes out on the most open of water. I might switch from mono to braid on that combo, so then I will have 20lb of pull to get them back.

In general, MB has some sick fuckin colorschemes.

They are some really wild ones and people collect them and it is a whole thing. While the color schemes are of dubious utility in terms of catching more fish, their lures are mostly all top notch and in some cases, like the Vision 110, are widely considered best in class. Speaking of dubious utility, here is a silly thing;

Reel is a Daiwa sv103h with an aftermarket carbon fiber handle and some dress-up parts. The spool is from a Zillion SV TW and it is far far less braked then the stock spool. The rod is a Megabass Hyuga 72H. It's an odd rod, rated from 1/2oz to 4oz lures and with a very Moderate action. While I think it does not fish well past say 2.5oz, it is a very powerful rod but the soft action makes it really easy to cast and it really keeps bass pinned. I am somewhat wary of it's power to set big jighook swimbaits, but we shall see! I am also going to try and use it for frogs, which seems crazy, but people seem to say it's great for it.

The lure is a Spro BBZ Rat. It is a blast to fish and I have really high hopes for it!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

That huge range is pretty cool, my heavy is rated for 1/2 to 1 oz, and it makes it feel like I have limited options with it. I typically just use it for frogs or heavy jigs. I'm interested in those moderate action rods, I've heard a few people talk about how that's kind of a shift that's happening right now in the rod market and that there are lots of benefits to it.

Mod and Mod/Fast non-crankbait rods are very much more a JDM thing at this point and hybrid graphite builds are far more common over there. The Hyuga 72H is a good stepping stone into them as it is cheap for a MB rod and it’s pretty versatile. For USDM stuff, some of the Phenix rods are more ModFast then Fast, although they are not labled as such. I am going both ways now, getting more Mod and Mod/Fast rods and more XFast ones. XFast is a weird rating as it can mean some pretty different stuff from line to line.

Sadly, the more I get into tackle-dorkdom, the more it is becomes apparent that you need to read through dozens of forum posts to find out how a given rod really fishes as so so many of them have near identical specs, but fish super differently.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I didnt even know Six Sense made rods, so much tackle In the world and so little time , money, and storage space.

As for the video, I am so glad I never have to worry about being eaten by a fish.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Bro fish are already wet, they don’t give a gently caress about rain.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

First swimbait bass of the year, hit a Gantrel Jr as it passed some pads. The park was super busy and I got swarmed with kids, who were all very impressed.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

a foolish pianist posted:

So I've caught exactly two pike, one on a small gold mepps spinner on a cheap meijer spinning combo, and one, bizarrely, on a topwater frog fly on a tenkara rod. I'd like to target them more specifically. How do I do that? I don't even own any non-fly gear right now, but I can pick up a spinning rod - I just don't know anything about spinning rods or tackle.

Anyway, what do I need to catch some pike in SE Michigan on spinning gear?

I fish a lot for pickerel, who are tiny pikes. Take a look at musky tackle and then find smaller versions to fit the size fish you are targeting.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yo you like stripers?

https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake.kayak.trolling/

This dude literally wrote the book on kayak trolling in the areas I fish. I am going to (as soon as I find my copy) follow his method this season and see how I do. I have my rods/reels figured out (I think), my lures figured out, my yak almost ready. I still need to buy and install a FF/Sonar/GPS, but that will happen next week.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So here's a dumb ol question because I only have ever caught bass...

How do I start nabbing panfish or trout in my river/reservoir backyard?

There's a little cove I live on that goes out to a probably 20' deep area where the river goes into a wide dam.

It's probably 150 yards across at the widest point.

I've only been throwing 5" and up senkos on larger hooks so I'm assuming I just need different bait and smaller hooks

I like Trout Magnet jigs/plastics fished under a float for panfish and small moving lures (cranks, spinners, etc) for trout.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo that’s amazing. I have a kayaking dry suit and while it is a lot more reasonable to that, it is still the most uncomfortable thing I’ve ever paid money for.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Went out in my yak yesterday and today. Yesterday hit up a tidal river with my bro, didn't catch anything but it is early for white perch still. Today I went alone to a little pond by my house. I caught 4 bass about the size as the one pictured and the pickerel. I got most of them in the weeds, which this pond has like 2-3 acres of. There was no pattern I could find, all the fish came on different lures. I saw a ton of panfish beads and was fishing around them, but didn't see any bass beds.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

Did you throw a frog around there? Not sure I could resist doing so myself.

No, not yet. I tried running the paddletail on top for a bit but there were no takers, but today was also a scouting mission as the water was super clear. I found the channels and holes in the field so when the cover is all the way in I know where to cast.

I also don’t really have a good frog-rod solution for my yak yet. In cover this light my pair of MH Loomis rods will work but once the cover really comes in I need to figure something else. I have a iRod frog rod I am fine with risking on the yak, but it’s like 7’5” with a long rear end handle and it sucks to use and deal with in general. I might cut the handle down, but that will only get me like 2” off at most.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Wow, I have always wondered, "what is nastier looking then a big catfish?" and now I know the answer is "a big albino catfish".

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

Took it for an uneventful quick rip.

If you are going to transport it rightside up, I strongly suggest doing a bow and stern tiedown. I use these cheap rope cam-pulleys and they will help a ton if I have have to slam my brakes.

Also is that UglyStick an UL casting rod?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

Makes sense. The rear tie points are eyelets that go through the plywood and into the shell, so they hold tight. I then use the fabric strap behind the rod holder and crank the poo poo out of it with knots on each side. I'm a rope access technician, so my knots are usually pretty good (alpine butterfly works great for making quick Pickerel rigs on the fly).

I'll look into the nose/tail tie down system as it would be less work than what I have going on and way safer.

The Ugly Stick is a "micro" combo setup they sell. There's a bait casting and a spincaster setup available. Our local store charges half price if you just take the rod from a combo setup. It was their shortest lighter action rod under 5 feet.

I think it'll really shine when I take it to the slower moving offshoots of our main river where I can work towards my limit of 50 yellow perch in one day. :quagmire:

Ah, I am/was a stagehand/rigger, so a well secured load is extremely my poo poo. I use straps (that I have cut to length so there is only like a 6-8” tag left after they are cinched) to go across the top of my
yak down to my roof rack, then the cam-pulleys to keep the bow/stern from shifting. Running the yak right side up gives a lot less surface area for the straps to contact so if you end up with a lot less friction holding your boat in place. I would love to find some slightly higher grade cam-pulleys however, the ones I have are plastic and I suspect the metal inner parts are going to rust out by the end of the year. I don’t need anything big or super highly rated, but I’m not finding much with my googlings.

I have a pair of ultralight casing Rods and they are a blast. Look around for a Ray’s Studio/DIY spool for your reel. I’m not sure if they make them for that model, but if they do it will be a casting super light lures a ton easier.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Do pontoon boats have a hard frame? If so just get a kayak, the whole appeal of a tube to me is that you can stash it in the trunk of a car so you’re always ready to fish.

The spawn is fully underway here so things are slowing down a little bit but I’m still able to catch at least a bass or every trip, which is nice. The winter always shakes my confidence and I become convinced that I’m never going to catch a fish again.

I also saw a pair of the biggest bass I’ve ever seen in person the other day. They were fully engaged in the spawn dance so I left them alone, but holy hell they were so big first I thought they were carp.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

This can be done, but my float tube is pretty bulky even deflated, and you also have to factor in a pump, waders, fins, and anything you want to strap to the thing. That wouldn't leave room for much else in the trunk to have it in there full time.

My hatchback currently contains the seat, drive, and paddle for my kayak, plus my PFD. There’s a duffel bag with waiders, waider boots, assorted rain gear. There’s a big tackle bag that holds a rotating pile of gear and between one and four rods. There are generally two backpacks, one for short little walks and loaded for a full day hike also living there, just in case I gotta walk far. I had to pull out dispose of one of the rear seats and am thinking of getting rid of the other one by summertime.

Always ready to fish isnt a fuckin game.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Rape Stink posted:

Took my old man out on a head boat in Cape May for the first day of Black Seabass season. Caught like 6 bigass Tog (which aren't in season), but only 2 keeper seabass between the two of us. I only caught 1 keeper Tog all fall, and like a million keeper sized seabass when they weren't in season over the summer... At least the fish gods have a sense of humor.

Anyway my hatchback currently holds one 2 person inflatable raft in a big bag, two 2 piece aluminum oars, an airpump, a small mushroom anchor, a $50 portable fishfinder, a pair of chest waders, heavy thigh-high socks for the waders, a rain jacket, 3 poles, 2 extra spinning reels, a tacklebox stuffed with gear, a tackle backpack stuffed with gear, a ukulele, and a skateboard... keeping all this in a Fiesta ST from spring to fall should get me a medal or at least some sort of certificate.

My girlfriend and I got into a big fight last summer about me keeping all this poo poo in my car when I stay at her house (can't fit a child seat for her 4y/o son, plus lots of sharp things all over the place), yet it's mostly still in there although I leave the raft and it's related gear at home, break down the rods, and make sure there are no hooks or knives laying around. I mean, she lives 2 blocks from the loving bay, how could I not bring gear?

Always ready to fish is not a loving game indeed.

Dude :sever:

Like you brought a two-person raft, what more can she want !?!?!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

And my dudes, my original point was acknowledging that a default full-time loadout like that was possible but not practical for most people, not hardcore motherfuckers to which fishing anything, anywhere, under any conditions is no game. I'm waiting for someone to be like, bitch, do you even live on your boat? :smuggo:

just lol if you don’t have a surplus survival fishing kit stashed in ur anus 24/7

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

I just landed in DC and I'll be here until Monday. Which one of you mouth breathing, fedora wearing, vape smoking goonbas are taking me fishing?

Where are you actually staying? It’s been raining for like a week solid year so everything’s going to be high and muddy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

Yeah it's dumping rain today, big change from San Diego lol. I'm over by Georgetown, my little brother is graduating from med school so I'm here for the weekend. I don't even think I have time to fish but I had a layover in Charlotte and it gave me the itch, seeing all that water and nature.

I did see some bluegills having sex in the pond by the memorials, so there's that at least.

I think the C&O canal is currently drained and under construction, but if you walk from Gtown down towards the river you will hit it.

My first decent smallie, caught right off of I think 23rd street? Right behind the Four Seasons in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
What type of yak do you have again?

Some of the distances you cover are incredible, I’m so obsessed with casting to every piece of cover or structure that I see that I rarely make it more than 4 or 5 miles in a full day of fishing.