Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Driving up to Bishop CA this evening, going to rent a boat on South Lake and hopefully post some pictures of nice Rainbow Trout tomorrow.

Here's an old picture of my pops with a big rear end rainbow.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The weather was awful at South Lake, which sits at about 9800ft.

We didn't catch anything crazy, but between 5 of us we had 22 keepers in just under 4 hours.

Overall, was fun.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Jesus man, were you fishing with dynamite? That's a hell of a haul

We went up with what the locals suggested to my uncle, mouse tails (Berekley), fake nightcrawlers and chartreuse marshmallows, ended up killing it on rainbow power bait.

They basically swarmed at one of the inlets and hookups were almost instantaneous once we figured out what they were biting on. All of these came in about 45 minutes after we figured where they were and what they were biting on.

We went out to Intake 2 on Sunday and there were some MAJOR toads swimming around, probably 4-5lb planted fish, but they weren't hungry, just taunting the anglers :(

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Post more photos! All I can pull out of my pond are LMB so it's interesting to see anything else.

I may get desperate and start going after the little guys in my backyard. If I was going to target little guys like blue gills and other panfish, what should I throw out there?

I didn't really take too many pictures, unfortunately. I missed the shot of all of the fish on the stringer, that was a sight to see as we only had one with us heh.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chaosfeather posted:

Hey I haven't fished up at South Lake in a couple of years! Glad you got such a great haul!

You should, it is wiiiide open!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

22nd St landing?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

joem83 posted:

That was out off of San Clemente island, about 60-70 miles from San Diego. I got an invite from one of my IT vendors to go on an overnight trip for free, along with free food/drinks/beer/gear. It was actually pretty awesome, I had no idea what to expect as I'd never done anything like this before. They didn't weigh my yellowfin, but it was the biggest one caught that day and I'd guess 50+ lbs based on how it felt. All in all, the boat caught 20 bluefin (I landed a small one, too) and 2 yellowfin.

Also, in other posting a fish news: After 3 months of trying, I FINALLY landed a freakin bass on a frog. He was a wee guy, but I was pretttttttttttyyyyy pumped. Here's my old gramps holding it up:

Did you eat the heart?

Congrats on a nice fish!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

joem83 posted:

Oh snap, there is a highfive. The little gif is so small I missed it and I Ctrl + F'd "high" and got no hits. Alas, the "body" was just logs. They did find an airplane in the lower section of the reservoir though!

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-world-war-ii-helldiver-bottom-lower-otay-lake-2010aug20-htmlstory.html

There's also a :respek:

Do you ever fish Cuyamaca?

e: St. Croix is having a black friday sale with free shipping IIRC. Hide your wallets.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I hope that the southern Californians reading this post know how good their surf fishing opportunities are. If you haven't tried it before, you really should. It's a blast and you can bring some really nice stuff home for dinner.

Not to poo poo on anyone that eats stuff from the bay, but I'd be hard pressed to take anything home from anywhere along the LA beaches unless it were a big halibut. This does not include north of Malibu or south of Newport.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

SoCal fishers, do y'all do any kind of meetup or anything?

I'm in West LA and fish the marina here often, not so much the piers but jetties/shore all day.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

Got my first proper baitcaster today

I doubt it'll see much use because I much prefer to fish in saltwater but I'm sure there's gonna be some lovely windy weekends perfect for chasing cod up the river

not sure why I immediately jumped to you putting the reel on backwards, then realized that the tip of the rod is possibly pointed left :derp:

edit: Oh, and only two dick spoons left. Claim yours now!

I'll take one, where should I paypal to cover the shipping and stuff?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

No need for payment! PM an address to send it to and I'll pop it in the mail tomorrow.

Who wants the last one?

Got it, btw! Thing is awesome, can't wait to surprise my buddies. Thanks!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Are there any Los Angeles area fishgoons that would like to go catch some fish?

My friends all 'love to fish' but only one actually does, but he just started working graveyard so fishing is tough for him to manage.

Mostly shore fish off the jetties around town, but am open for most any kind of fishing.

Also now this feels like the weirdest personals ad.

e: I need someone to share the joy of the dick lure with

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I am not local, but I'm going to be in LA at least once this year. I'll PM you when I have an idea of when that is and maybe we could go surf fishing.

sounds good!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Going to Bass Pro this weekend with a $115 gift card, most likely going to end up getting a St. Croix spinner to match my Mojo Inshore :D

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ended up picking up that new spinning rod for my camping trip next weekend. ~*~ALLEGEDLY~*~ the fishing is great at Silverwood Lake near Arrowhead right now with big stripers and rainbow trout coming in quite frequently. My plan is to only stay for friday night and fish saturday, but if the fishing is good I'll stay for the entire weekend. This will be the first time being able to use the dickspoon™, hopefully I'll have some good luck with it!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Woodpile posted:

In my experience, tackle shops will always tell out-of-towners that the fishing is great. And that the fishing gets even better if I get some new spoons in an assortment of colors.

I'm going off fish reports and pictures, hopefully they're correct! Anchovies for stripers and powerbait/kastmasters for trout.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 28, 2019

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

joem83 posted:

Lunch sesh

He barfed up a fish which looked almost exactly like the Keitech I was using, match the hatch baby! My slowly dying Tatula went to poo poo when I caught that fish, which sucked, but I found a 1000 size Penn Battle II laying in the dirt by my car so that's cool.

Nice find, just bought one of those, nice fish too!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sadly, I've come to admit that I was not successful with the dick lure :(

However my buddy caught this, which none of us could identify. Any thoughts? We're in SoCal, apparently the lake has catfish, trout (rainbow and brown), crappie (white and black), largemouth, smallmouth and stripers. It had sort of a flat mouth like a catfish, but the body of a trout(ish). Didn't have the standard trout mouth, and wasn't colorful at all, so it didn't become dinner.

He somehow hooked it in the tail and landed it.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 7, 2019

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Think it’s a channel cat.

Small mouth, body shape is about right and boring grey color.

No whiskers though, which we found odd.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

No spines? Scales present?

May be some sort of native minnow, hitch or chub. I don’t know where my taxidermist book of CA fish is but it’s fairly crazy boo diversity of fresh water fish.

Nope, no spines or scales, it looked and felt like a trout scale wise. We even asked another angler about it, "not sure what they're called, I see them every now and then, but they sure are ugly".

I tried using google lens on it, and it came back with a bunch of bass, but nothing similar.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I just came across a Sacramento Blackfish, looks pretty similar. Apparently they've made their way into the socal reservoirs like the stripers via the aqueducts.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 7, 2019

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Well I wasn’t too far off with the native minnow guess. Congrats on snagging one. As a filter feeder it’s not too likely to take a hook.

Yeah pretty good guesses there, we were totally oblivious to what it was haha.

Wonder how they taste?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

I’ve just arrived at the campground at Portland for another crack at a tuna. When I eventually get one it’s going to be a very loving well earned fish with the amount of kilometres I’ve paddled.

Gonna eat the heart?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I'm dumbstruck by daily pond fees in addition to a valid license. That is madness. Why not just make the annual license cost a little more? Why even have an annual license if you need to buy a daily permit anyway? I'm definitely not the sort of dude who gets mad about license requirements or fees (DFW does extremely important work and it's not like any American nonmilitary government agency is properly funded), it just seems like that system is designed for maximum inconvenience, resulting in more citations and revenue generation through fines. :tinfoil:

Our license is already expensive, 55 bucks is this year including the saltwater stamp :(

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Just wanted to say that I'm jealous of those of you that can go fish during lunch. Nice fish!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

joem83 posted:

It helps that I work 12 minutes from Mission Bay and that I work for an extremely small company.
I respect the hustle!

I work 12 minutes from the ocean and can't ever be bothered these days because my fishing friends suck :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Going fishing in Palos Verdes (CA) tomorrow morning, wish me luck!