Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gaz-L posted:

One for the series. One for Jason. One for Roy. One for DT to bitch about how much he hates Joker's Daughter and that one artist's take on Red Hood's helmet.

I think Joker's Daughter could open some pretty interesting plots and character development for Jason though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dario the Wop posted:

Please elaborate.

Include as much detail as possible.

Mainly because it will be interesting to see a more mature and emotionally stable Jason trying his hand as a mentor of a girl that idolized the man who killed him.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

DT I find your unabashed love of Jason Todd in the face of adversity strangely endearing, but I simply cannot condone someone willingly reading a comic featuring Joker's Daughter in a protagonist role at all.

Oh believe me, I wasn't thrilled about JD inclusion in the book, but Lobdell has managed to make her an intriguing character. So I'm willing to give her a shot and see where all leads.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Die Laughing posted:

Is there much of a difference between Joker's Daughter and that one sidekick Jason had during Batman and Robin?

While the dynamic is very similar, there are a few differences. Sasha was a lost girl being influenced by Jason's ideas while JD is just being steered into the redemption path by Jason and Roy (but the choice is ultimately hers), plus Roy's presence being a new element to consider.

I wouldn't be surprised if JD becomes the new Scarlett though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DrProsek posted:

Any kind of potential for her idolization of Joker and mentorship with Jason being interesting is killed by how blank slate JD is. If you take away idolizing Joker she just becomes a random civilian. There's not much to explore with that idolization because it just boils down to "crazy lady like Jokeyman".

Even if I want to be as unfair as possible to Joker, he at least has a Hannibal Lecter style relation with Batman that gives him more characterization beyond crazy man. JD doesn't have anything like that with anyone and Lobdell isn't building anything.

Like, I agree with DT that on paper there's potential there but Lobdell ain't a writer who can fix just how boring/bad JD is.

I dunno, I think Lobdell's taking her character in an interesting direction.

And hey, he will put her into therapy. That is always interesting to see.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hmmm. I tend to be wary of this kind of fanstuff because it always tend to follow the same plot beats: look how badass Jason is, gently caress YOU DAD, gently caress YOU JOKER and gently caress YOU DICK; I kill because is what badasses do and so on.

However, they mention Roy on their plot outline and a Jason no longer blinded with vengeance so it could be the one fanwork that breaks the trend. I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

Of course, lets see how far they can actually get before

boom boom boom posted:

they'll get a cease and desist letter from DC

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

Yeah now you know how everyone else feels about Jason Todd all the Goddamn time.

Lots of people on CBR and ComicVine love that take on the character though. They can't stop showering with praise Arkham Knight for "taking Jason back to its dark roots, away of the goody two shoes that Lobdell turned him into"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

A few years ago it was rumored that DC was going to release new, edited trades of Batman and GL trades that would be updated to New 52 continuity.

I have to admit that sounds like an interesting idea.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

This would require them to actually decide what did and didn't change in New 52 canon, though.

That is what it would make interesting. Aside of the hilarity of having to deal with the presence of character's missing in the N52 :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Real hurthling! posted:

i heard they had a new lobo kill the old lobo and take over as lobo. i thought he was the main man? wtf, dc?

It happened. In fact that is how the series started.

However, after the series tanked in sales they have started to turn NuLobo into Old Lobo. NuLobo is now starting to look pretty savage instead of the perfectly shaven guy from the past few years.

boom boom boom posted:

I like how people have to talk about the nu52 Lobo situation purely based on rumors, because nobody actually read those comics.

I read them. Is a pretty entertaining story, although it was utter bullshit how Bunn had NuLobo butchering almost all the Lantern Corps a few months back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

boom boom boom posted:

If nuLobo slowly morphed into Lobo One Million, that would be amazing

Here.

This is how NuLobo looks in the cover

And here is how he actually looks in the story

• Locked thread