Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

John Major's underpants are still funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

"Down With The Fuzz"

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

One part most of them are relatively new at front-bench politics and haven't yet done anything truly image-defining, one part Steve Bell is a very very lefty man and has literally caricatured Corbyn as an unironic Jedi knight, which is a slightly more sympathetic treatment than Tony Blair or Neil Kinnock got.

edit: have a look at these Ifs from 1996, two years after Blair became leader of the opposition

http://www.belltoons.co.uk/bellworks/index.php/if/1996/3891-15-4-96_MIDDLECLAWSS
http://www.belltoons.co.uk/bellworks/index.php/if/1996/3892-16-4-96_MIDDLECLAWSS
http://www.belltoons.co.uk/bellworks/index.php/if/1996/3896-22-4-96_REDEFINEREDEFINE

He's just figured out the Prescott-as-bulldog gag, and he's also just noticed that Blair has Maggie's mad eye, but he hasn't really started to zero in on serious caricatures of Blair and Mandelson, and the Gordy is just A.N. Person. He's just got the human faces at the moment.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 15, 2016

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

That's not how you spell "magnate"

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm too lazy to do it, but someone should put all of his nightmare/political figure asleep cartoons into one post.

I did this on New Year's Day 2015, apparently. IIRC he's done about four more since then.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Bit late, but also a bit cheeky of Rowson not to acknowledge the iconic John Hassall railway poster advertising the myriad delights of Skegness

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Cloud Potato posted:

Evening Standard:

The Terry relaunches?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MREBoy posted:

Kind of odd that "Stasi" was used, as that was the East German secret police guys. I'm a USAer so I have no idea if Corbyn has/had any E. German connections, or it could be Mac is stuck in time somewhere prior to Jan 1992.

The Stasi thing is a reference to an even more made-up attempt to imply that he was also a Stasi collaborator, based on the following line of reasoning.

1). He went on a motorbike tour of the DDR in the late 70s or early 80s with Diane Abbott
2). This would have meant the Stasi would have opened a file on him because he was a foreign tourist and politically active and very left-wing
3). This would have meant the Stasi would then likely have tried to make contact with him to see what could be arranged because why wouldn't you
4). This would have meant that he would have happily informed on the entire British population to the Stasi, it stands to reason, look, he was already selling us out to this Czech fella...

Unfortunately it's complete bollocks; they did go on a motorbike holiday, to France. Which as far as I know, is not in East Germany.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

That line about Matt being undeniably funny makes me apoplectic but it also explains the absolutely loving dire nature of the Private Eye cartoons, which are abysmal.

Other than Scene & Heard, which is almost certainly the most unique thing appearing in a national organ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Trump-Putin summit in Helsinki – The two leaders have met for highly sensitive private talks in Finland"

The title at least is an allusion to St Petersburg–Finlyandsky station, often known as Finland Station (because it was built by a Finnish company as the terminus of their line from Finland), where Lenin got off the train when returning to Russia in 1917.