Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darkest Auer posted:

Classic Dilbert

That last panel, or even just the half of it with Dogbert talking, could be used in response to so many current Dilbert strips as well as Adams's other writings.

It's weird to see strips that are decades old showing more self-awareness than what the guy is doing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endless Mike posted:

So is the solution to this crisis going to be "maybe Atlantis should have some doctors"?

Drowning them in filth and sewage is fine, so long as the "literally killing them" part of it can eventually be stopped.

I really hope that's not how this goes, but it probably will be.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I try not to read Intelligent Life, but from what I've seen of it Barry is the Tiffany of it, the character the author wants you to hate but, because of their own transparent loathing and ineptness, they wind up being the best character and the only sympathetic one of the bunch.

It's for about the same reasons too; all the other characters aggressive poo poo on them, and yet display no redeeming qualities of their own and present no reasons to sympathize with their plights beyond the author telling you to care about them. They've favored by the very universe they inhabit. Meanwhile, the "antagonists" are nearly never actually antagonistic, and are in fact the underdogs of the worlds they exist within, where everyone and everything up to the almighty creator of their universe is against them, and thus you want them to succeed.

This is a surprisingly common phenomenon, though it's easy to see why; bad writers don't have the capacity for nuance or making their characters truly sympathetic, so they declare their protagonists right by fiat. However, their being bad at writing also means that they cannot hide this and their intentions are clear as day, so we see their blatant favoritism and the stacked deck and instinctively side against it. Still, it's interesting; is this an established thing with a name, by any chance? It's sort of an inverse Mary Sue thing, where the one/few characters who aren't designated as Good and Right by the author are the ones we actually like.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 6, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nancy mugging for the camera in front of three rocks. Of course.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that log/rock Spider-Man is carrying is meant to be a part of the sub he ripped off. Wow, why are newspaper colorists so awful?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Holy crap what happened to Dogbert. The art looks really off here, both in comparison to the old, unrefined stuff and the newer "might be employing C+P" comics.

Selachian posted:

Buni

I thought it was a magnifying glass in the second panel at first but judging by the marks in the third, it's an ice cream scoop. Just say no to self-performed plastic surgery!

Wow, this is pretty gruesome.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was about to comment on something someone mentioned a while back, about how all the defendants in Pros and Cons seem to be guilty, and obviously so, and if that was supposed to reflect the author's views or something, but I just realized that it's actually probably far simpler than that: Guilty people are funny, innocent people aren't. Like this last one, the guy is guilty, but he's being found not guilty. There's some banter and comedy and such, and it's funny.

Reverse that, though, with an innocent person being declared guilty, and it's not funny anymore. That kind of situation is a tragedy and would likely overshadow any attempts at jokes, and would definitely bring down the mood of an otherwise rather light, clever comic strip.

It'd also affect our perceptions of the characters a lot. At the moment, Stan and Gillian are funny, despite being jerks fairly often; if they put someone who didn't deserve to be there in jail, though, they'd lose a lot of sympathy from the audience, even if going for a guilty verdict is arguably Gillian's job. Heck, even just having her prosecute someone who's not guilty would probably make her look a lot worse, as the audience might feel that she's "attacking" an innocent person. Samuel, on the other hand, can defend actual criminals and not look so bad, not only because most of the criminals end up in jail anyway, but because, barring a really bad sort of criminal who's not likely to show up in a comic strip anyway, trying to keep a guilty person out of jail doesn't look/feel as bad as trying to put an innocent person in jail.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

"You can claim her." It's 2016, Bernice, what the gently caress.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Bernice and Gunther are both awful.

Also, I like (for a certain definition of "like") how every Spider-Man strip for a while now has had Spider-Man thinking in the last panel how he's going to attack Namor after something that otherwise does not include or have anything to do with him at all. It's like they have to go "Spider-Man's still here! He's doing a thing! He's important!" even as the plot seems like it's going to resolve itself without him so his primary accomplishment is getting beat up long enough for the important people to arrive.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samovar posted:

I still maintain that the 'Paul Gaugin' strip is seconded by 'Calvin impersonating his Dad' strip.

Calvin's dad impersonation might be my favorite strip from the comic ever. I crack up every time I see it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did he just cut that dude's ear off?

I think that's the implication; I'm wondering what on earth the guy was teasing(?) the kid for, though. Is that an old expression or something?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ukonvasara posted:

They're totally believable, assuming Luann's a self-centered jackass--and hey, what do you know!

Her sudden flip to utterly smug is possibly the thing that bothers me the most about this, given both how the breakup actually went down and, you know, how she was acting in the strips leading up to this one.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

This one always cracked me up, for the second panel more than anything else. The way he says it just really amuses me.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Everyone abbreviates everyone else's name all the time in this strip, too. Lu hangs out with Pru and Bern. They go out of their way to avoid it with that dude.

Oh man, you're right. That's pretty ridiculous.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cobweb Heart posted:

I finally caught up to this thread after tracing my steps through the last one - what happened to the girl, Rosa I think, that Gunther was dating? I started reading again when Tiffany was trying to interrupt him from asking out Bernice, like she had a thing for him or something, which is laughable. And now come to think of it the strip got so caught up with the Prudence poo poo, what happened with Gunther and Bernice? Did he ever do it?

Rosa gave up going to Yale to go gather sticks in South America, because the best way for her to help those in need, as a person in her position and with the resources available to her, is to go be another mouth to feed for the people she's trying to help and perform manual labor pretty much anyone there could do themselves. Gunther had gone with her but decided he didn't like it there and left, growing that stupid stubble in the meantime and meticulously maintaining it since (because at this point it would have grown far beyond that if he hadn't been shaving) because it makes him feel like a big boy. No, Gunther and Bernice have done nothing; recent events hint that Bernice might actually be a lesbian or bisexual even, but that's a long shot/wishful thinking on our part. And yes, Tiffany suddenly fell for Gunther out of nowhere, which is terrible and dumb.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 3, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

"I mean my mom. I love my mom."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm kind of amazed at how quickly it swung from "Bernice has a thing for Piro and Gunther's into Tiffany like she is into him" to "Bernice doesn't care about Piro and Gunther's more into Bernice than anything". Do the writers not remember their own strip, or do they just assume the readers don't?

I mean, that is basically how it was going before, right? I'm not misremembering/crazy?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

root posted:

Is there any way I'm supposed to read that last panel other than he's breaking into horrified tears at the thought of being close to... A GURRRRRRRRRRRL!!! :cry:

Abject horror at Tiffany's hideousness.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh wow, this is something that you'd see made in response to a modern Dilbert, not something you'd see in one unedited. Hell, it's the kind of thing Adams would probably complain about on his blog if you showed it to him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LordPants posted:

I know barry is meant to be unlikeable, but he's like one of the better characters so I kinda like him the most.

He's that strip's Tiffany, basically.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, I always love it when Dad busts Calvin out.

Of course, one of the best strips is Calvin making fun of his dad instead:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghostlight posted:

It was more that his neighbour is actually a filthy lay-about who only considers himself.

Also, seven in the morning is very different from five in the morning.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Squishy posted:

Arlo is the horny one so he's saying the left-most bubble.

Actually, that's why he's saying the right one; Janis is telling him "I'm not up for loving right now" and he's like "I get it already jeez".

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Well, they are, sort of; frogs and toads are in the same order, but are in fact different species. There are multiple species of frogs, some of which are toads. So, technically both you and Arlo are wrong actually.

But yeah, toads are just dry, lumpy frogs basically.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

If toads are frogs then toads and frogs are not "two different species". Some species of frogs are commonly known as toads, but they are still frogs.

Point, I see what you were getting at. Sorry; I have a fever or something that's making my head very uncomfortable so I'm a bit out of it.

Also today's Luann is amazing. Gunther sucks so much. Stop Nice Guy-ing around and just say something. And then get rejected because you suck.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Okay, I've been ignoring this except for reading the occasional complaint about it, but is that Guran next to the Phantom? Is that Guran being less than half the Phantom's height? (Fake edit: Yeah, later speech bubble I didn't read until now says so.) What the hell?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

He wasn't that small in the comics people posted before, if I remember correctly.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a good reminder that Adams is a racist, sexist rape apologist, if nothing else. Classic Dilbert and the pseudo-guest strips were making it easy to forget he's a awful person who writes a bad comic, so in a way him making such a blatant reminder is a good thing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Social justice warrior" (or more commonly the abbreviation, which is wordfiltered here) is the catch-all term people who use racist/sexist/etc. slurs use for anyone who objects to them using said slurs, what MRAs consider anyone who isn't an MRA, and so on. Basically it's a terrible phrase used by terrible people.

While there are some areas that not-awful people could argue it's worth using (first time I saw people using it was to refer to a scam artist who tried to use their race and gender to silence anyone who criticized them while also being the sort of person who used really nasty racial slurs towards other people, sometimes in the same posts, and said person's defenders and followers), nowadays it's so commonly used by lovely people that it's not worth trying to salvage and instead just something you keep an eye out for, because if someone uses the term unironically there's a very good chance they're an awful person you want nothing to do with.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh god, your creepiness in ADTRW was bad enough, don't bring that crap here too.

• Locked thread