Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is Jam Esallen auditioning to be the next writer on The Phantom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Classic Dinette Set struggles with new technologies.

Appropriately enough, the comic's tiny enough I'm having trouble reading it on my screen. Could you post it in a bigger size?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

How did you get the bigger one? GoComics doesn't let me do that for the old ones.

I upscaled it manually. Turns out deep-learning neural nets are good at that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, it's a moot point because starting with today's they're posting the large size on GoComics again. :v:

It's a very good AI.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is how you get SkyNets, you know.

Don't worry, as long as nobody gives it the idea that humans are worthless fatuous wastes of space we should be fine.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Please, this is Marvel. Everything revolves around Manhattan.

I am disappointed to scroll down and not see the obvious edit.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 7, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

FTFY.

Why would you say 5 in 10,000 instead of 1 in 2000? :stare:

Because it's easier to copypaste from a normalized source than to reduce the fraction :effort:

Kennel posted:

But "were-" means man!
:goonsay:

Goddamn it, manman.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sonar isn't so good in air

http://www.theonion.com/article/study-dolphins-not-so-intelligent-on-land-1896

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Is there a joke here? Arlo gets out his clothes for the day, then puts them on. What? :confused:

He's contemplating suicide.

The man desperately needs help, and won't get it.

Our country's attitude towards the mentally ill is the real joke here.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

We already found that one! :bahgawd:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Test upload with TinyPic, though I probably won't continue using it, since the upload required temporarily opening up firewall ports, allowing an ad server, and then, after the upload was finished, enabling Flash just to get the image link code. Anyone have a recommended alternate image host site? I've tried the four in Tiggum's OP, along with Photobucket, and of those, xomf is the only one that simply works for me (aside from it apparently having display issues for other users).

What issues are you having with imgur?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

A little bug that eats children and erases memories is still pretty terrifying.
In cases like this I always blame Tarn Adams.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

:effort:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Poil posted:

Do you seriously not know the directions to the place where you work?

Sure, give me directions to get there right now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

This kills the crab.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I don't understand why this conversation is happening. She just out of the blue started lecturing Olive about self-control. Olive doesn't do poo poo.

Mary Worth can see what's happening to that Morgan girl, and she wants her creepy psychic prodigy to be more subtle about her powers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DC Money posted:

well, how about the fact that CAVES ARE DARK! where is all that light coming from? how are they going to explore without any light? i mean there's unrealistic, and then there's just completely moronic. i can't even do a suspension of disbelief on this one.

Consistent exposure to the horrible visage of Rusty has rendered Mark Trail completely and totally blind. He navigates solely by echolocation.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Parahexavoctal posted:

It's terrifying how applicable the Feiffers still are.

As if that hasn't been the case for literally the entire history of journalism.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Does anyone remember what the terrible comic in my avatar is called? I know it was by some former government offical woman

Reply All

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oh hey, the baking hobo prophesy in Mary Worth hasn't come true yet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

True hates obnoxiousness in all its forms, including affectations—which is what men's wristwatches were before World War I. He's not gay-bashing, he's punching a hipster.
Updated for today's audiences:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Really a shame when comic artists have to label things to show what they are. Either show some respect for your artistic ability, or at least some for the reader.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So the black cowboy is named 'Big Ick'.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I believe it's short for Ichabod.

Probably. All the cowboys have shortened names.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lime Tonics posted:

That mark trail storyline is ripping off indiana jones and the last crusade.

I am beginning to think Everette true is an alcoholic, or a recovering one.

It seems like the older comics here, besides ballard street, are actually the better ones too.

With over a hundred years of comics to pick from, they'd better be.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

On the one hand, if you used an image host that handled HTTPS I could see Gil.

On the other, if you used an image host that handled HTTPS I'd have to see Piranha Club and 9CL.

Images work for me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Wait until you hear that people on the west coast have to fly east to travel to the Galápagos Islands.

Well, they don't have to, it's just a huge hassle to do it the other way around.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Slammy posted:

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Ugh. I'll be honest, at this point GTG gets very ... illegible (but it's better if you click and enlarge). Many strips were scanned sideways, which makes them hard to read, and a lot of days were skipped. I'll do another search for a better source, but GTG may be on its way out. (to the relief of some of you, I'm sure).

If you Waifu2x it the results are pretty readable.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Simian_Prime posted:

I... I don't think Matt Groening had a very good childhood, guys. :smith:

Ugh, hate it when people propagate the inevitable cycle of abuse myth.

Having an abused parent in a high-risk family means the odds jump from 10% to 23%, yeah. The odds are worse, yeah. That's not a guarantee, and what the pat 'cycle of abuse' story does is both shift blame away from the abuser, and tell the victim that they're a monster now. Neither of those are good things.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just Dan Again posted:

This is another weird little quirk of the past that I'd never have known without Out Our Way. It seems like these "efficiency men" are a constant fixture at the shop, standing in for what would probably be a consulting position today. I wonder when the change happened, where companies stopped employing full-time positions to increase productivity and started outsourcing to consulting firms?

These would eventually become time and motion studies most notable today as the parents' job in Cheaper By The Dozen.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

At least they're not immediately going for the obvious like TIMES SQUARE EMPIRE STATE GETTING MUGGED, although Empire State is right around the corner from Koreatown so I probably shouldn't say anything yet. Generally I get the feeling this is one of these pandering Oh How Much Better Is Life In My Little Bland Midwest Community arcs.

e: I do want to see Greg Evans' version of Times Square. So far the blandest, most :effort: Times Square I've seen in comics was Steve Dillon's work and I'm curious if it can be topped.

Didn't Mary Worth have a rendition of Times Square?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nenonen posted:

But seriously you managed to describe all of their strips in one go. Well maybe not the weird insider joke ones - the witch/hypnotist/medusa strips in particular which are always the same and contain no actual jokes.

it's not an insider joke

it's a fetish

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

dr_rat posted:

Fun fact: Gypsum weighs 1602 kilograms per cubic meter!

That's like a fifth the weight of steel

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hel posted:

The creator seems to be big enough nerd that he should know the LI=U thing in comics so it might be intentional, but why would would you pick that as a cats name in a comic, unless you wanted to sneak some swears into your comic?

because felix is a cat in a better comic

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (March 22-23, 1929)]

Did you skip the 21st?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

One of the most enduring myths promulgated by quack psychologists.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That humming bird thing is inaccurate - ruby throated hummingbirds will migrate across the gulf of mexico.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Ah, I'm not sure I get that last one.

There was a tradition to hide a sixpence in a christmas pudding as a gift for a kid. Some dumb kids swallowed the money and now the doctor is keeping the cash he removes when he pumps their stomachs.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Abstinence is an ongoing theme of luann's relationships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Selachian posted:

You gotta admit, that's some nice coloring.

It's just a gradient.

• Locked thread