Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Gee, do you think the feminists won't turn out to be what Margo imagines them to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SomeMathGuy posted:

Perhaps the colorist hosed up and accidentally made it less racist.

Yeah, offensive Asian stereotypes are supposed to be green!

Ms Boods posted:

I'm a masochist :v: (which is why I keep reading Nancy, Tor Johnson Baby (Rose is Rose), and Rex Morgan, even though they wind me up something fierce).

Rex Morgan can be frustrating but it's almost entertaining in what a black hole of suck it is. The only comics I can think of offhand that really piss me off is Six Chix, because it's sheer low quality in every area every day is revoltingly painful, and Gasoline Alley, because of what self indulgent old man prattling it is.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Serious question: Why is Scott Adams so clever in Dilbert, but incredibly stupid whenever he opens his mouth otherwise? I've seen plenty of disconnects between the quality of an artist and the quality of their art, but Adams seems completely detached from reality.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Fair enough.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Sarah is really cute and can do better.

I'll date you, Sarah.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Whoops Sisters are really creepy. Their like these...thin doll things. Maybe Slender Man is the lost Whoops triplet?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Good Listener posted:

I am curious why there are at least two strips, Rex Morgan and Judge Parker, where the whole on going theme is "the stupidly rich get richer." Is this what the fans of the comic want? :confused:

This is how I imagine the audience for these strips.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Green Intern posted:

Reddick desperately wishes he drew Looney Tunes characters.

It's weird how the main character has all these zany expressions but the girl has the one copy and pasted smarmy eye brow raising.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

goatface posted:

Is gasoline alley the only strip where people get poorer?

Barney Google and Snuffy Smith.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CaptainCaveman posted:

The fact that he put the words on the door backwards, yet drew it so that we're looking at the front of the door so they wouldn't be backwards bothers me way more than it should.

Maybe the hypothetical camera is actually looking into a mirror.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life enters week four of this poo poo.

It remains completely inexplicable why she even likes this guy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It looks like GoAnimate.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Odonata posted:

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Ughhh. I thought Ziggy was just incredibly bland and mediocre, not capable of inspiring as much revulsion as I'm feeling right now.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SpacePig posted:

So, there's an armed guard outside of a bank that is closed, but also that bank's drive through lane is still operating. So... It's not closed? What's going on?

The guard is loving with The Shaft because his presence is intolerable and no one wants him around. The joke is that society has so much contempt for him that they aren't even putting in the effort for a convincing lie.

At least, that'd be the meaning of the strip if I was writing it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

My Lovely Horse posted:

"His father died in the hospital" is an amazingly stupid line for reasons it would take too long to fully explore.

He's Lucky from King of the Hill.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

You know, despite the racism, I thought the set up was kind of clever-this guy makes the meat better, and dohohoho, it's the white guy, cuz their gonna eat him-but I guess they have an actual cow and the joke was just the white guy taking advantage of having a masseuse around? One step forward two steps back Piranha Club.

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

This is :3: as hell. Dick Tracy is a good newspaper comic.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Not Newspaper Spidey's strong suit.

So Strange was intentionally underperforming until Spidey grabbed his shoulders to make him feel like he contributed, right?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Johnny Walker posted:

Good. End this stupid storyline.

Isn't that...every 3-G storyline? Will the next one really be any better?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RandomFerret posted:

Okay, I know Gasoline Alley has the oldest readers of all the comic strips, but are they seriously going to spend a full week reenacting a Jack Benny bit?

Gasoline Alley has done this exact bit with this exact homage character multiple times now.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (July 30, 1943)

:stonk: Jesus Christ. :stonk:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Just when I get interested and think Rex Morgan may be more exciting than already rich people getting richer week after week.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aardmania posted:

Heathcliff

I thought at first someone with such an inflated ego he considers himself the rightful ruler of all of creation should have other people painting him, but then I remembered that other guy who fits that description and was an artist...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Nancy isn't a fetish comic-that'd require a fetish. This is just plain old cheesecake. Arlo and Janis, on the other hand...requiring that the woman you love be unaware of your voyeurism, and being disappointed when she consents? That's a fetish comic. My disgust is matched only by the shame I feel knowing it was allowed to be published.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Darthemed posted:

Oh, and Datta Phuge, one of those two gold-shirt guys, was beaten to death recently, according to the BBC. :smith:

Maybe it was the other one, hoping to increase the value of his own shirt.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Johnny Walker posted:

drat. Hershfield loving hated women and marriage.

"Dear Mr Kabibble,
Why do women live longer than men?"
"Because they suck all life out of you!"

"Dear Mr Kabibble?
What makes a wife good?"
"If she's DEAD!"

"Dear Mr Kabibble,
Have you ever been married?"
"I am happy she left, you hear me? HAPPY!"

Huh, up till this point, I'd been reading Kabibble in a feminine voice and didn't notice the Mr.

Well Manicured Man posted:

That guy who wants to take a picture of his family on a fun outing? gently caress that guy!

I can't tell if this strip is meant as Crankshaft being an rear end in a top hat as usual or it's supposed to be one of his deep cultural observations we're supposed to agree with.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Binary Badger posted:

You know, this was ultimately what caused DC's Identity Crisis story arc, right Stan? Stan? Oh he's buried under too many drunk strippers to hear me.

Welllllllllllllll, actually, the Dr. Light stuff was a pointless subplot for the sake of drama/filler/including a rape.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wait, dead fish buried in graves? God forbid we have too much fertilizer and pet food, I guess?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
TDIET all the way.

SomeMathGuy posted:

I'm thinking the Gay Thirties. Frankly They'll Do It Every Time seems like old school Pluggers albeit not exclusively aimed at the elderly.

I love it because it's very similar to modern observational humor and feels pretty dang relatable. It's truly timeless and matched in that regard only by perhaps Peanuts and Calvin & Hobbes. You could start a successor called That Feel When and there'd be no difference at all.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 17, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I don't get it, where's the last two panels where the judge says "oh, alright" and the defendant's name is revealed to be Brock Turner?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wanamingo posted:

Andertoons

Christ, were people like this about, I don't know, bottled water? "Kids these days are so self absorbed they demand their water be free of minerals and come in convenient bottles! Well, we smart old people know how to get free water, all you need is a sink and a tin can, yes indeed!"

Old people constantly complain about the future not being as good as they expected when they were kids and yet seem to despise every single basic improvement.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Bottled water destroys aquifers and creates an amazing amount of pollution. Selfie sticks are tools, useful in certain scenarios but people misuse them.

People misuse syringes too but I don't wanna go back in time and stop it from being invented before it makes society too decedent.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (February 4, 1930)

I skip straight past Popeye to read Kabibble. Yeah, most of it is "haha, marriage is hell, am I right?", but hey, given how old it is, it predates all the terrible sitcoms and stand up comedians that made it a terrible cliche. It certainly not the Lockhorns, and it usually gives me a hearty internal chuckle, such as today.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Slammy posted:

Guess If They Are Married!

You know, it's an incredibly racist character and all, but Pansy can be pretty funny and should have been the star of the comic.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Julet Esqu posted:

:stare: They did it to me TODAY.

See what I mean? So fun and relatable, even nearly a century later.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nenonen posted:

Were Mr. True be resurrected a century later, he'd be maiming Pokemon hunters.

I like this specific one because it has him just off screen, like some kind of dread shark lingering just outside the edge of vision, gone as quickly as he came with only carnage in his wake.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I hate that this stupid piece of poo poo comic is actually the smallest bit relatable.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Most of the time Dick Tracy is boring. But every now and then, a few times a storyline if we're lucky, it goes balls to the loving walls.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You know, I wouldn't give a poo poo about the skeevyness of Nancy and it's apparent fandom if it wasn't ostensibly a comic about a little girl. That just makes it really, really weird.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nenonen posted:

It all started as a cartoon about Fritzi Ritz, Gilchrist is just returning to the roots with how he even re-introduced Phil Fumble! Truly he's more faithful to his sources than Bushmiller ever was.

Yeah, but then they could just make the strip actually about Fritzi Ritz again. And look, Fritzi Ritz is exceptionally attractive, I admit, if whoever owns the comic thinks sex appeal is the way to go, go for it. But as is it's like if Sesame Street had a stripper walk across the screen every now and then.

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

You know what, I'm shocked, but Sally Forth has it in it to be hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tiggum posted:

This isn't news.

I've only ever known it as the comic with the really weird art, but now I think it's mostly the dad? He always looks kind of unnerving to me.

• Locked thread