Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Anidav are you the type who goes through every bottle of milk to make sure you got the one with the most life left? Because lol if you can't negotiate a price in Brisbane retail stores that compare with dodgy.biz and their rock-bottom prices. Just talk to the retailer haha maybe if you lived in charleville or something you'd need to go online otherwise theres no reason to send money away from Brisbane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Anidav posted:

Most retail stores don't price match with online, except officeworks.

Negotiate, don't just march up to the closest 16 year old at jb and mumble about price matching. Buying local is harder than choosing public transport but easier than going vegan on the ideological purity scale.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Anidav posted:

*goes to the manager and demands $1 milk*
*gets arrested by security for disturbing the peace*

*goes home and gets milk from the internet*

asio
Nov 29, 2008

norp posted:

Is it possible to have a thread that doesn't spend 3 pages on this argument?

Maybe if this thread wasn't so borgeoioes - white bread and margarine is how its served - we could argue semantics on more important issues instead, like illegal/unlawful

asio
Nov 29, 2008

open24hours posted:

Replace weed with heroin if it makes it easier.

There are a lot of things that I don't think the government should regulate, are you arguing that because the regulation of some things is necessary the regulation of all things is necessary?

For example, cheating in motorsport is endemic. Should we have a government department whose job it is to measure boost pressure and injector size in racing cars, or is it something better left to the race organisers?

All professional sport should be publicly owned. At a local government level sports teams can help the community in an actual meaningful way and the unhealthy advertising for gambling can be banned at the federal level.

Government dept with community consultation could then draw up standards wrt drug taking using input on how it can effect younger players. As always, the answer is public ownership.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

BBJoey posted:

Why would they bother? They don't let asylum seekers in in the first place.

This was literally the ALP until neoliberals got their hands on it.

Nah, the alp was just protectionism and exclusion of asiatics. Everything else was trying to get themselves rich enough to be real tories.

The greens are talking a lot about evidence-based policy. Although, "We don't want ideology" is still ideological.

I think the most accurate one-word-phrase to describe the party's aim is sustainability. This explains the elevation of the natural environment, where some in the party would be conservative in their views and wish for a "return" to the natural order. Unfortunately that sucks for humans so next option is to act sustainably within our natural environment. Once you have that nut cracked (homeless support shelters talk about home first - then approach the issues of mental health etc.) then you can move onto the issues of social justice, fairness in the economy etc.

The other reason why the greens are most ideologically correct is the political system they promote - "grassroots democracy" aka anarchy. You cannot call yourself "left" and still ask for a mummy or daddy to run your life for you. You must have the people in control, stronger than both capital and centralised political power. This is not to be confused with either mob rule or anarchy in the colloquial sense.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

open24hours posted:

I don't want to vote on party policy though?

Well then be happy with just your vote at election time. Put more effort into the democratic process, you know there is already a solution?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Anidav posted:

My Greens membership expired because I'm too poor and disengaged with politics at the moment.Slob Hortins, DiNutellas, Turdballs.

It's worse than Abbott because Abbott tasted like poo poo and got your blood to boil but the current political climate tastes like nothing and how can you be engaged with nothing?

Are you serious? You live in Brisbane - there is a historic campaign being run by the greens in the council elections - you are a greens member. Pm me if you need some tories to fight gently caress

asio
Nov 29, 2008

BBJoey posted:

I dunno, Gough-era ALP seemed fairly progressive for its time, though it was quite a brief period between racist protectionists and neoliberal tory-lites.

"Vietnamese balts" + east timor

asio
Nov 29, 2008

open24hours posted:

Voting on party policy and voting on what policies are implemented are different things. Party politics is undemocratic at the best of times.

If only there was a party that had grassroots democracy as a reason for existing

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Anidav posted:

I'm going to wait for this real estate cloud to clear before I look into this GP thing.

Centrelink purposely not catering to underemployment is also underwhelming and my JSA is trying to push me on Work for the Dole for no reason. I've only been on new start for like 6 months.

You can do your wfd hours with the Queensland Greens, they are a non-profit and have been approved in the last couple of weeks

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Anidav posted:

Waaaaaaait. You can choose your wfd venues? Mine is telling me I'll be building bookselves in a few weeks.

Just ask them if they can talk to your provider. It's kinda distasteful but at least you'd be working to end wfd?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah, this is clearly a humanities thing rather than a shittily run university thing :allears:

You were chasing some actual greens policies for the Brisbane council election? http://itsyourbrisbane.com/commitments/
This one is getting updated most weeks leading up to march 19. Most recent is free public transport for seniors and pensioners.

Alp released the thought bubble of the reintroduction of trams yesterday. Unfortunately it's just a thought bubble because trams are great! But there's the more immediate existing transport infrastructure issues that need addressing first, and that are cheaper. Qld greens are still working on trams, its just that it is so big it needs a lot of work to get from front page of the courier mail to a policy.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

ScreamingLlama posted:

The video in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i15OPuFvmA

Honestly? gently caress vegans, especially those who feed their kids and/or pets vegan diets.

The second two yeah, but the first? We know that animal agriculture is the biggest cause of global warming (yes, cow farts etc, it's not just a joke). If you're able to remove animal products from your life you're making more of an impact than limiting your shower time or catching a bus instead of driving. And the only reasons vegans are so insufferable is because most animals have some level of understanding of their own existence, so it's a moral thing too. gently caress you instead, guy, go read a book about it first

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Recoome posted:

hey amethyst, I work in hospitality thanks for stereotyping me as a soft hearted alcoholic

Hey recoome, i worked hospitality for a decade, give it time

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Ok I have the moral outrage you're looking for amethyst. That speech is bad in my opinion.

It is definitely a good sentiment he is making. He seems to be appealing to the idea that Australia can be the safe, welcoming end of the road for people in the world who are suffering. If Australia The Idea was binary, either we open to those who need it, or close the seas and open the camps, then it would be the good speech you're looking for.

However, both of these positions accept Terra Nullius. A welcoming Australia or a rejecting Australia; both are White. I commend him on the welcome to country, but he follows on to thank the Australia Whitey Built.

Australia Day celebrates White Australia, it's in the date, the name, everything. Just because he wants to change from within and make us think hey, maybe if we weren't so aggressively white and let some refugees in we could have something to celebrate doesn't mean the nations foundations are any less genocide-y.

Sorry if you get all knee jerk and claim black arm band gone too far but there really is no reason to celebrate anything about Australia day, and hearing a speech by a house-refugee telling us how great we can be is a bit of a joke to be honest.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

good effort troll but a bit straightforward, missing the killer twist
7/10

Thanks whitey, but not a troll

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Recoome posted:

In an unsurprising turn of events, the guy narrating the most recent UPF callout video can't pronounce the word "Jesuit".

Protip nerds, it's not pronounce "Jee- soot"

Noted Players in Australian Culture, the Society of Jesus?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Abbott, Hockey, Pyne, Shorten and Joyce all went to Jesuit schools.

Of course; the Tory schools. My mind went to the spice trade/Japan, didn't think they were still relevant

asio
Nov 29, 2008

hooman posted:

Universities were made into businesses and in order to stay afloat they have to stuff as many bums in seats as possible since they get paid on a per student basis.

It's an inevitable outcome of the policies of the Howard years that they're admitting any idiot now.

Easy comrade, this is a good thing. Western Sydney Uni should be enrolling as many local students as possible, for all the good education gives. It is also ideologically correct that the government provide financially, in fact, the government should be paying all of the cost.

It's an outcome of your rottern arse that "they're admitting any idiot now". Who do you think you are with that last bit?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Anidav posted:

I think I have a political crush on Brisbane's ALP and Greens lord mayoral candidates. They both keep hitting the nail on the head over and over again like some sort of luchador mayoral tag-team. They've certainly reminded me how hosed up Brisbane is.

You mean the continuing cycle where greens release a costed commitment and alp reply with a vague inquiry?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Anidav posted:

Brisbane itself is too small of a city, as in the roads are narrow as gently caress that buses cause a rather unique kind of congestion as inner Brisbane is full of one lane, one way's that buses take stops on. More of those won't help congestion. Trains will, even if it's a pie in the sky concept now, it'll be brought down to reality later and involve something to do with trains or even trams.

I don't think Brisbane has had any train network upgrades in ages unless you could the Gold Coast light rail.

Congestion is caused by cars, not buses.

Two questions: how much will it cost, when will it be done? Anything less and it's not going to happen. It's impossible to do costed policy writing on that scale simply because they don't let you see the books. Every greens policy has been costed because it's working out of the $650mil ksd upgrade.

Brisbane will eventually be big enough to need light rail, yes. But while that plan is being developed, there are still many massive improvements to be made to the public transport system. Free off peak travel for pensioners; half price for the unemployed; fast track the bus stop upgrade to one year from the original three, and so on. Neither of the old parties are seriously talking about getting people out of congestion and into public transport and a shiny new monorail in the cbd ~sometime in the future maybe~ isn't helping us out in the suburbs.

How much will it cost? Will fare price increase further as a result of the monorail? How will this reduce congestion in the suburbs? Will I be able to travel east-west or will I still have to go into the city and then out again just to get two suburbs over?

Also queensland rail is a state issue mate. What we need at a local level is for council transport to connect to the state travel infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Anidav posted:

As it stands, on paper Rod Harding's plan is much better than either. But I don't know if any of them would deliver but it's better than no ideas at all.

Sorry what is rod hardings plan again? Promise to look in to the possibility of light rail? Well duh everyone with half a brain in town planning is already doing that. Do we need a press release every time they finally catch on to the obvious? Call me when he is more than just an ideas man.

http://itsyourbrisbane.com/commitments/cost-shock-to-bust-congestion/

• Locked thread