Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Is the whole "coward punch" thing trying to be a thing again? Noticed a heap of posters this week, and now big news coverage on some poor fella who got king hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Still amazing.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

re. contraception, is the needle dick procedure in place in Australia yet?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

It would boost his position in the polls, have you met Australia?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

iinet can eat a bag of dicks.

Recommendations for a new ISP? Current plan is 150 gig on and off peak a month

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Check out the whole conversation, it's pretty amazing.

Almost as amazing as an elected leader having a conversation like this in full view of the public.

https://twitter.com/DavidLeyonhjelm/status/684128757796352000

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

This is the Onion right? Please?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

My recollection is that it was like a wasp sting that lasts longer. Bluebottles wasn't that bad.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Recoome posted:

Worst company you can be possibly working for. The zionists are in league with the catholic leadership. That is why the Pope is so chummy with Islam. The Papacy invented Islam to do it's persecutions for it so it could be seen to keep it's hands clean.

The new world order is really the dark ages take two but this time they are getting rid of the whites because white Europeans broke the churches power before.

Is this part of white supremacist conspiracy bingo? Because I think we've all won.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Rule one of starting a mudslinging war using your cronies and die hard supporters?

Don't hit "reply: all"

quote:

SECRET text messages meant for LNP supporters have caused embarrassment for Capricornia MP Michelle Landry after they were sent out to ordinary community members instead.

The Morning Bulletin was contacted by several people who were sent messages from Ms Landry's electorate officer with "ideas" for texts they wanted to be sent to the paper's SMS the Editor section...

...Examples include: "Why is Brittany continually attacking Michelle - wouldn't it be more effective if they both worked together."

Another read: "Leisa - can you confirm that your campaign hasn't received any money from Union 'Slush Funds'."...

...Other messages read:

"Lies about cyclone funding, lies about mental health funding, lies about pathology funding - just more lies from Brittany Lauga."

"Yet again, Leisa is spreading fear about Health funding - GSK doubled the price of Panadol Osteo, not the Fed Government!"

"Re Lauga's comments on the carpark - maybe Brittany should be focused on Keppel issues like GKI rather than petty attacks on the Federal Government."

"A $550 Million investment by the Federal Gov only increased the bulk billing rate by 1% - is that really a wise use of money."

"Brittany - do you support giving more money to multi-national pathology labs rather than investing Health dollars directly to the patients."

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

You Am I posted:

Wow, that as a massive massive failure for them.

Near my place there is a Masters on one side of the road, and a Bunnings on the other, and the Bunnings was always busy compared to the Masters.

I wonder if they will have a fire sale

Bit disappointing, Bunnings has absolutely awful wood, and I've always found Masters to be a pretty good place with genuine customer service (as in, people who know wtf they are talking about in their sections.

Don't make me jigsaw lovely Bunnings ply :(

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

You just need shitloads of salt and butter.

Your welcome.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

SadisTech posted:

Joe Hockey is apparently having too much fun in his new ambassadorial appointment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=779fMc8ubOo

Is there a whole subculture about making washing machines do things I was unaware of this whole time?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Is he part greyhound? Photoshop?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

chaos rhames posted:

I wish I was drunk at work, it'd be more fun. The only thing limiting the alcoholism is the price.

You can buy 40 standard drinks for like 10 bucks. Alcoholism has never been more achievable.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

teacup posted:

I started to think of a way in which they could not crush peoples dreams AFTER they have studied for four years to get a teaching degree when they really shouldn't have, like screened people before hand.

I'm not sure this would be too beneficial unless it was finding suitability for particular roles. Most people who complete a teaching degree will be able to teach a regular no issues class without much trouble, but those are becoming increasingly rare. To teach more complicated groups though, such as those with learning difficulties, behavioural problems, large groups of ESL students etc are not things everyone will be good at.

You then get the other major issue I've encountered, at least in QLD is that the motivated talented teachers of course get the best positions, when to get the most out of their skills they should be given the worst. Inexperienced teacher + whole host of difficult issues to deal with daily = not a teacher for much longer.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Smegmatron posted:

Primary school teachers don't need to know anything at all beyond how not to be an awful teacher because, be real, their main job is to keep a room full of toddlers alive for 6 hours a day until they're old enough to go to Big School.

Is this what you actually think or are you ironically insulting six years of education?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Smegmatron posted:

As a rule, secondary teachers semi-seriously loathe primary teachers because we're sick of being handed year 7 classes full of kids who are way behind where they should be for their year level because their stage 3 teachers put them in the too hard basket and figure the secondary system will fix it.

As a rule for who, because I've never come across that sentiment as a kind of cultural thing between primary and secondary teachers (my time is split across both). Individuals sure in both directions, but I've never seen it as an occupation wide grudge.

Maybe you should open a dialogue with your primary schools and give them feedback on their teaching results or something instead of calling them people whose job is to "keep a roomful of toddlers alive". The best thing two of my schools ever did for their kids was to give feedback on what skills are required and useful (i.e. fractions) for high school subjects so that they can get a far more continuous education with as little disruption and remedial study as possible.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Goodpart posted:

A not-insignificant amount of primary school teachers "just love kids" and will announce it at every given opportunity as if it's their most important qualification. Day loving one of uni in a b.Ed and you're doing the stupid meet and greet bullshit, the question gets asked: "Why do you want to be a teacher?" -- the response from the primary school lot was exactly what you'd expect, and almost all of them were denser than a second coat of paint.

They are universally terrible, educationally speaking.

Do you personally know many primary school teachers?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

For context by the way, this guy is a convicted stalker.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Has applying for jobs always been complete bullshit or has anything changed in the past 7 years? I'm guessing I just got lucky in the past and forgot about it. Last 5 jobs I've applied for ask for a resume and force you to fill out what is basically your resume in boxes as part of the application process. Seems terribly inefficient.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Then I tried putting job ads through a wordcloud generator and shoehorned the biggest words from the wordcloud into my resume and the online forms and suddenly most places called me back and I got offered 3 jobs in one week. If you can get past the automated filter that prevents 90% of resumes from ever being seen by human eyes, then you're suddenly only competing against 15-20 people instead of probably hundreds.

So they resumes and cover letters are scanned electronically for certain phrases and denied if they don't have matches?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Mr Chips posted:

Does putting all the keywords in as invisible text help with this? That way you can still have something human friendly, while passing the automated filters.

My mate who works in HR just told me this is stupid and not to do it. Often the software they scan highlights the words they are searching for, which still shows up white text, at which point you get immediately binned.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Mr Chips posted:

So they cull by dumb keyword filters, but punish people who try not to get culled by dumb filters. Another chapter to add to Cartoon's Australian_Management_Is_Inefficient.txt

I can ask him again, but from what he described it sounds like there is an automatic process which filters the applications, the successful ones get sent through to people who use a program that highlights important information. He said the best way is to incorporate the "skills required" words into your CV or cover letter if you can as this is usually what they look for.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Hottest 100 top 10 was all elevator music. What's wrong with the youth of today?

Triple J listeners like bland indie music, shocker.

Just listened to the no.1, and yeah, plain toast with nothing on it.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

What even is marketing.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Labor - Slightly less poo poo than before!

quote:

Labor has set up an election year school funding battle by promising to pump $4.5 billion into the nation's schools by fully funding the Gonski funding agreements it struck when last in office.
The party has also pledged, if it wins power, to reverse the $30 billion reduction to school funding over the next decade revealed by the Coalition in its 2014 budget.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Are you still looking after rescued kittens, or have you been adopting them out at a faster rate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Looks like utter cretins have a bit of a dilemma then on the sixth.

Do you support Nazis and go to the UPF rally, or do you support rapists and go to this thing?

• Locked thread