Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Kit Walker posted:

Agreed. Cars are terrible
City privilege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jarmak posted:

What is this low effort bullshit, we've had a solid page of people circle-jerking about how stupid gun-owners are but one gun owner comes in and argues differently and the only response is "GTFO"?

This is turning back into the bad old days of D&D

one gun owner came in to argue that gun owners protect our freedoms, in the thread mocking a bunch of militia idiots who tried to start the second american revolution and the most significant difference they made in the world was a giant poo poo trench

like, really, that's the time and place you choose to make that argument, and you expect anything but open mockery

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Jarmak posted:

What is this low effort bullshit, we've had a solid page of people circle-jerking about how stupid gun-owners are but one gun owner comes in and argues differently and the only response is "GTFO"?

TFR's down a few tabs if you're so offended that people don't give a gently caress about the same refrain of "waaargh Cars!" in gunchat. I like guns, but sweet Christ is that a tired argument. :frogout:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Bikes are pretty rad. You should try one sometime

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Just FYI the bad old days are actually 2 or 3 posters quoting and responding to entire novel length posts sentence by sentence and arguing tiny semantic bullshit no one outside the autism spectrum would ever care about.

Gun chat is eternal.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

evilweasel posted:

one gun owner came in to argue that gun owners protect our freedoms, in the thread mocking a bunch of militia idiots who tried to start the second american revolution and the most significant difference they made in the world was a giant poo poo trench

like, really, that's the time and place you choose to make that argument, and you expect anything but open mockery
And Black Lives Matter supporters beat up a vet in a McDonald's parking lot. Just because some morons with guns did something moronic doesn't mean the 2nd amendment isn't important. Your type of logic would be at home on the Rush Limbaugh show.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

Bikes are pretty rad. You should try one sometime

They're not very fun for people with scoliosis or other issues with the tailbone.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

NathanScottPhillips posted:

And Black Lives Matter supporters beat up a vet in a McDonald's parking lot. Just because some morons with guns did something moronic doesn't mean the 2nd amendment isn't important. Your type of logic would be at home on the Rush Limbaugh show.

And? Are you saying that he should have had a gun to murder angry, unarmed men? I don't see anywhere that it says they killed him. Perhaps it's rather good that he didn't have a gun on him. In fact, what caused such an attack in the first place? Protestors don't randomly attack passerby.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Talmonis posted:

They're not very fun for people with scoliosis or other issues with the tailbone.

Recumbent bikes? Mopeds? If you can't ride either of those then you're gonna have a pretty hard time riding a car.

So what's the gun equivalent of scoliosis/tailbone issues?

Kit Walker fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 23, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nobody needs you playing dressup hero for their security, you are less of a contribution to ARE FREEDOMS than an obese security guard who had a heart attack in his chair eight hours ago but still looks like he might just be resting his eyes a little

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Yeah but the 2nd isn't important, with or without idiots. It's an amendment legislating a hobby. That's all it is.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Some morons with guns didn't do something, thousands of Americans are killed each year by preventable gun deaths and we're treating it as an acceptable trade off for freedom instead of a public health crisis that needs to be curtailed IMMEDIATELY.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

evilweasel posted:

nobody needs you playing dressup hero for their security, you are less of a contribution to ARE FREEDOMS than an obese security guard who had a heart attack in his chair eight hours ago but still looks like he might just be resting his eyes a little

holy poo poo dude

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SocketWrench posted:

I suggested there should be something like this along the lines of driver's ed. Man, you shoulda seen the shitstorm about "teaching kids to worship guns".

The question that always comes up is "Who pays for it?" There probably wouldn't be too much of a backlash if it was free and paid for by taxes, but forcing potential owners to pay for classes would place a monetary gate on ownership that would result in legal gun owners skewing heavily toward the wealthier end of society (and likely white end of society, considering the existing socioeconomic differences between whites and blacks and Hispanics) and increasing inequality. Same for things like raising taxes on ammo or guns to inflate the prices.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

Recumbent bikes? Mopeds? If you can't ride either of those then you're gonna have a pretty hard time riding a car

Nah, it's really just the type of pressure to the coccyx. It's a pretty common issue that most people can deal with by changing handlebar height and such. Scoliosis and other deformities of the spine make that difficult to fix.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Talmonis posted:

Nah, it's really just the type of pressure to the coccyx. It's a pretty common issue that most people can deal with by changing handlebar height and such. Scolisis and other deformities of the spine make that difficult to fix.

I'm not saying we should get rid of ALL cars, just I don't see why we need so many. We'd reduce the number of vehicular deaths pretty significantly if more people used alternative modes of transport

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

The question that always comes up is "Who pays for it?" There probably wouldn't be too much of a backlash if it was free and paid for by taxes, but forcing potential owners to pay for classes would place a monetary gate on ownership that would result in legal gun owners skewing heavily toward the wealthier end of society (and likely white end of society, considering the existing socioeconomic differences between whites and blacks and Hispanics) and increasing inequality. Same for things like raising taxes on ammo or guns to inflate the prices.

Gun ownership was a privilege of the wealthy when the founding fathers wrote the constitution. Interchangeable parts and mass production were still a hundred years out. There is no constitutionally protected right to be able to afford arms.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Remember in the (closed) gun thread when I said you were too immature to talk about the subject without using cartoonish language and insults?

botany posted:

Yeah but the 2nd isn't important, with or without idiots. It's an amendment legislating a hobby. That's all it is.
That's your opinion that it's not important. Probably the opinion of someone who lives in a cozy neighborhood in a suburb of a major city. To 20% of the population living in rural areas, guns are most definitely an immediate source of security, both physical security and security of their livelihood. For national security, there are many far-fetched scenarios we could talk about that are plots of movies or whatever, but that doesn't really affect the point of the 2nd amendment. And since the US constitution is the longest lasting constitution in the world, maybe there is some merit to it.

Al! posted:

Some morons with guns didn't do something, thousands of Americans are killed each year by preventable gun deaths and we're treating it as an acceptable trade off for freedom instead of a public health crisis that needs to be curtailed IMMEDIATELY.
Like 10x more Americans die of heart disease or cigarette use so I think it's acceptable that we allow freedom even if it costs lives.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

I'm not saying we should get rid of ALL cars, just I don't see why we need so many. We'd reduce the number of vehicular deaths pretty significantly if more people used alternative modes of transport

Agreed. I'd much prefer fast and abundant mass transit to be the primary transportation in the U.S. Not going to hold my breath though.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Like 10x more Americans die of heart disease or cigarette use so I think it's acceptable that we allow freedom even if it costs lives.

Those aren't caused by someone else doing something to me.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Talmonis posted:

And? Are you saying that he should have had a gun to murder angry, unarmed men? I don't see anywhere that it says they killed him. Perhaps it's rather good that he didn't have a gun on him. In fact, what caused such an attack in the first place? Protestors don't randomly attack passerby.
No, you have really terrible reading comprehension, go back and read the conversation again.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Look I think guns are cool and all, and of course respect the right of the average gun owner to be shot by their toddler or their dog, but even I can instantly understand that these are just not very good arguments being thrown out here.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Kit Walker posted:

Those aren't caused by someone else doing something to me.
But we already established that gun owners are more likely to kill themselves than someone else?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Remember in the (closed) gun thread when I said you were too immature to talk about the subject without using cartoonish language and insults?

That's your opinion that it's not important. Probably the opinion of someone who lives in a cozy neighborhood in a suburb of a major city. To 20% of the population living in rural areas, guns are most definitely an immediate source of security, both physical security and security of their livelihood. For national security, there are many far-fetched scenarios we could talk about that are plots of movies or whatever, but that doesn't really affect the point of the 2nd amendment. And since the US constitution is the longest lasting constitution in the world, maybe there is some merit to it.

Citizens privately carrying firearms has guaranteed the security of our state exactly zero times in the last two hundred plus years, your argument is stupid and you are stupid.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Dylan Roof, Adam Lanza and Jared Loughner's freedom to have a gun was more important than the lives they took?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

But we already established that gun owners are more likely to kill themselves than someone else?

That doesn't somehow discount gun homicides

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
gunchat's ability to always pop up is legitimately amazing

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

This is a funny thread to post about how instrumental civilian firearms will be in the coming revolution

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Epic High Five posted:

This is a funny thread to post about how instrumental civilian firearms will be in the coming revolution

Agreed. The irony is the only thing that makes it tolerable.

Edit, well maybe not tolerable

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

gunchat's ability to always pop up is legitimately amazing

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

And why do you think the gun thread was closed? Personally I'm not really fond of the fact that gunchat keeps popping up in totally unrelated threads, largely due to people who insist that guns are the only important political issue in America today, or get super offended and make a big scene out of it every single time someone says that guns are dumb in any thread anywhere in D&D

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Not these assholes again: tfr posters, gun nuts seize federal building occupation thread

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

And since the US constitution is the longest lasting constitution in the world, maybe there is some merit to it.
The US is behind most developed nations in literacy, infant mortality and economic equality, while it is leading in religiosity, homicides, incarcerated citizens per capita, and defense spending. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that the longevity of the US constitution (even disregarding how many times it has been amended) is due to anything other than stubbornness.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

botany posted:

The US is behind most developed nations in literacy, infant mortality and economic equality, while it is leading in religiosity, homicides, incarcerated citizens per capita, and defense spending. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that the longevity of the US constitution (even disregarding how many times it has been amended) is due to anything other than stubbornness.

It's more of "we became a country about the time that nations started having modern-styled constitutions, and we were the first one to do it".

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Citizens privately carrying firearms has guaranteed the security of our state exactly zero times in the last two hundred plus years, your argument is stupid and you are stupid.
Luckily, yes.

Talmonis posted:

Dylan Roof, Adam Lanza and Jared Loughner's freedom to have a gun was more important than the lives they took?
Freedom to own a gun is not freedom to kill, obviously. Guns make it easy. That's why guns have to be constitutionally protected otherwise it's easy to take them away from everybody, there are good reasons to.

Main Paineframe posted:

And why do you think the gun thread was closed? Personally I'm not really fond of the fact that gunchat keeps popping up in totally unrelated threads, largely due to people who insist that guns are the only important political issue in America today, or get super offended and make a big scene out of it every single time someone says that guns are dumb in any thread anywhere in D&D
I think it was closed because the anti-gunners were losing the argument. I would like it to be opened again so gun chat doesn't flood every other thread that touches on it, also.

botany posted:

All of those things you mention also contribute to poverty and crime so maybe guns in America is just an easy scape-goat for people who don't want to tackle the real problems? All of those things you mention also make it more likely that I will need a firearm to protect myself or loved ones because our society is not healthy.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The U.S. constitution was written a very long time ago and unless any of the founders lived backwards in time, was written to address existing problems rather than solve future ones. Not everything on there has ended up being of equal importance. Like, nobody has ever clamored to grant any titles of nobility (at least not until Trump gets elected) and there's not a whole lot of 3rd Amendment jurisprudence out there either. Maybe letting everybody have a gun isn't actually a benefit to society, nobody's perfect.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

And since the US constitution is the longest lasting constitution in the world, maybe there is some merit to it.

It's also a document the writers felt should be rewritten every few decades to keep it relevant as society changed, why they even put in a way to [i]amend[i/] it so it could be easily updated as the U.S. changed!

If they saw how morons worshipped it 200 years later they'd make sure to put an expiration date on the drat thing.

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 23, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you count amendments as part of the constitution itself (and this is clearly the case), then it's actually only been the primary document of governance since 1992

If you don't count the amendments, then it's the worst constitution among any first world nation by an enormous margin

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Toasticle posted:

It's also a document,ent the writers felt should be rewritten every few decades to keep it relevant as society changed, why they even put in a way to [i]amend[/] it so it could be easily updated as the U.S. changed!

If they saw how morons worshipped it 200 years later they'd make sure to put an expiration date on the drat thing.
Yes, I agree. That's why we have a standing army and also why background checks, thousands of laws, and special licenses and registrations exist for gun owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Yes, I agree. That's why we have a standing army and also why background checks, thousands of laws, and special licenses and registrations exist for gun owners.

The point you missed is framers like Jefferson thought the whole thing should be re-ratified every 19 years, not clinged to for two centuries.

• Locked thread