Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Adiabatic posted:

Thanks for the new word!

I can't fault you for not wanting a derelict van hanging around for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

McTinkerson posted:

1976 Fleetwood Brougham D'elegance

Edit: aka the longest Cadillac ever made.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1435088150044459/permalink/1820135094873094/?sale_post_id=1820135094873094&__mref=message_bubble

For those not in the FB sale/trade group that's posted in, here's the description:

quote:

92 cadillac brougham 305
$800
Newton Highlands, MA (02461)
Jump it and drive it home. Runs drives stops. A/c works. All original. No rot. $800 obo. Need gone taking up space.

Even looks to be in pretty good shape.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Flower car.

It's like a classy el camino. Sorry, "ute".

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I can't fault you for not wanting a derelict van hanging around for a year.

I want less cars around, and I want all of them to run. Redneck Adiabatic has run his course.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Is the Mrs. the one forcing this? they always ruin the fun :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Adiabatic posted:

Redneck Adiabatic has run his course.

What will be the fate of the Gorester then? Say it ain't so, civilized Adiabatic. :ohdear:

I don't blame you one bit, as you know I'm an old rear end suburban man

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
He just drove it to Maine and back a few weeks ago so I have a feeling it is still allowed due to passing the "running vehicle" test.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

e: FOR FUCKS SAKE CLOUD FORUMS, STOP BREAKING

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

re: forums and "Gorester":

The epitome of a transient state of being. One could say it is all up in the air.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The only way Im getting rid of the Gorester is if the PO wants it back. If I mangle it beyond recognition it becomes a stationary work of art.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Adiabatic posted:

The only way Im getting rid of the Gorester is if the PO wants it back. If I mangle it beyond recognition it becomes a stationary work of art.

You better keep the mj

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Ugh Im keeping the MJ and the MR2 and the Gorester and even the SV650 for some reason, but Im actively shunning everything else and just focusing on those. I have way too many car/house/garage projects, and Im in grad school for another three years, and while work is incredibly fulfilling it eats up a shitload of mental jank, and cars are getting boring.

Gonna Brock Samson some poo poo but I have to first sort the garbage from the salvage.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
You should rent a car instead of buying one and then asking your uncle in Boston to sell it for you.

Sorry the van didn't work out - I abandoned a similar project and it's something I'll probably always regret. Not enough planning in the front end leaves a lot out there floating around, unknown and un-prepared-for.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

some texas redneck posted:

Can confirm that literally a fish is not a fish at all, with :siren: photographic proof :siren:

Dammit. Missed the appearance of fish. this is what I get for ignoring the forums.

Adiabatic posted:

Ugh Im keeping the MJ and the MR2 and the Gorester and even the SV650 for some reason, but Im actively shunning everything else and just focusing on those. I have way too many car/house/garage projects, and Im in grad school for another three years, and while work is incredibly fulfilling it eats up a shitload of mental jank, and cars are getting boring.

Gonna Brock Samson some poo poo but I have to first sort the garbage from the salvage.

I'm at this point. I'm actively trying to sell my '90 RX-7 for $$ to focus on making my '79 RX-7 drive-able again (it is my first RX-7, so sentimental value.) Going to try to sell the other half-dozen non-running RX-7s I have, or part them out for same. I'm keeping my '70 Olds Cutlass (and will focus on that once the '7 is in reasonable shape,), the '7, and my '05 Crown Vic. And my wife's car. Everything else goes, dang it.

Astonishing Wang posted:

You should rent a car instead of buying one and then asking your uncle in Boston to sell it for you.

Sorry the van didn't work out - I abandoned a similar project and it's something I'll probably always regret. Not enough planning in the front end leaves a lot out there floating around, unknown and un-prepared-for.

For the amount of time he needs a car, buying a cheap, decent car is less $$ than renting a lovely car.
I, too, lament the failure of this project, but I'm glad you realized it was a lost cause before getting neck-deep.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Darchangel posted:

For the amount of time he needs a car, buying a cheap, decent car is less $$ than renting a lovely car.

You sure? I guess I don't know how long he's in country. Maybe I'm off in my thinking, but when I was in Hawaii I paid like $20/day. Minnesota was about the same.

We're definitely talking lovely cars though...

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Want to rent my 330i? :v:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Wrar posted:

This is not a half bad idea.

Also, when do you want myself and this guy to show up?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Adiabatic posted:

while work is incredibly fulfilling it eats up a shitload of mental jank, and cars are getting boring.
Story of my loving life. That's how I went from VW-nuttery and a herd of Rabbits to a Honda Fit and a new truck.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The trick is having one boring reliable vehicle and then a cool car to have fun with.

When you try to proceed with this sensible plan like I did you'll end up with a turbo VAG hatchback, a 22 year old BMW, a Toyota Corolla, and a shed full of vintage motorcycles. :suicide:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
This is why I'm not renting a car;

Wrar posted:

Maaaaaaaaybe? :v: That actually sounds like a pretty rad idea if you're OK with it.

regarding when you get here I'll have to check with Adiabatic and TR.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 10, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Do you need an SUV?
Enterprise will rent you a tiny rear end car for >$1000 and $1600 for a an SUV. Unless you're under 25, then you're hosed.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

nm posted:

Unless you're under 25, then you're hosed.

Yup.

$1000 of "age fee". Avis are the cheapest. Hertz want to hit me for $4k US for a "chevy spark or equivalent"

Also that "mid-size SUV" comes out at $400 more than their cheapest option, and I can sleep in the back of an Escape while I'd not be so comfy in a Fiesta.

E: Just checked enterprise again. Interestingly they'll rent me a "chrysler 200 or similar" for $1600. Which seems odd. I might head down to the nearby office tomorrow and see.
They also won't even rent a 23yo an SUV-class vehicle at all which is annoying. I'd like something I can sleep in.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 10, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Is that an airport location?

If so, that's half of the price right there. Non-airport locations are usually a lot cheaper.

Also see if the credit card you plan to use to pay for it offers protection for the rental car - if it does, and/or your own car insurance covers you on (overseas, obviously) rentals, you can pass on their hard-sale "insurance".

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Is that an airport location?

If so, that's half of the price right there. Non-airport locations are usually a lot cheaper.

No, he's getting hit with the age fee. It is like $25/day.

edit: Enterprise has the cheapest underage fee. $1600 for a midsize, all in. They won't rent you an SUV though.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 10, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Jesus christ. That's just obscene.

e: hm, if you rent a car through USAA, you can avoid the young driver fee. And I believe anybody can join for the shopping/discounts portion of membership, I wonder if fish would qualify for that?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 10, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Yeah I just remembered I have a USAA membership. Prices also seemed to be about the same airport or not-airport, though that's a non-airport location

I can rent a V8 camaro from Avis with this USAA code and it's not even that expensive

Oh god. So tempting.

On the other hand I can also rent an Escape or whatever using the USAA code for $veryreasonableindeed so I might do that. Gonna sleep on it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Don't forget Costco. You get really good car rental discounts with them. A year's membership is $50?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Also see if the credit card you plan to use to pay for it offers protection for the rental car - if it does, and/or your own car insurance covers you on (overseas, obviously) rentals, you can pass on their hard-sale "insurance".

Sometimes your travel insurance covers this too. Definitely look into that before paying the full LDW price.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Serious. I guess my CL price is too high because I've had zero bites. It we come up I want to do some of the rear bushings, but aside from that I'd rather make a little money on it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Wrar posted:

Serious. I guess my CL price is too high because I've had zero bites. It we come up I want to do some of the rear bushings, but aside from that I'd rather make a little money on it.

Should have the lift free this week as long as the camacho can pull the van up the hill enough

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Fish. I'm not gonna make you sleep outside at NEAI if you wind up coming up without a vehicle. I know the rest of the trip kind of hinges on it but if you find something up here you're welcome to work on it. Hell. If you want to fix up my F150 you can have it. Needs head gaskets and tires mounted. I have the tires. You can take it and we can work something out for when you leave.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Noise Complaint posted:

Fish. I'm not gonna make you sleep outside at NEAI if you wind up coming up without a vehicle. I know the rest of the trip kind of hinges on it but if you find something up here you're welcome to work on it. Hell. If you want to fix up my F150 you can have it. Needs head gaskets and tires mounted. I have the tires. You can take it and we can work something out for when you leave.

Most reasonable challenge right here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Noise Complaint posted:

This man speaks truth. An F150 is perfect.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

It's an extended cab, 4x4, and the tires I have for it are oversize super aggressive AT's... with white letters. Bench seats, also.

I could also throw in more LED lights than you could imagine along with other truck ricing poo poo. It has a brand new transmission with a shift kit, and a glasspack muffler.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Hell, rent a car long enough to go up, make the truck mobile and then take it back when done.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If we're doing that he can just ride with either Top and I in the Super Comfy Volvo/Mostly Comfy Outback (depending on how tall Fish is) or with Wes and Robot depending on who's going where when etc.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Noise Complaint posted:

It's an extended cab, 4x4, and the tires I have for it are oversize super aggressive AT's... with white letters. Bench seats, also.

I could also throw in more LED lights than you could imagine along with other truck ricing poo poo. It has a brand new transmission with a shift kit, and a glasspack muffler.

You need to hardwire a PA system that constantly blares the New Zealand national anthem.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

My Volvo is also an option if you like.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
You guys are awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
As much as I want to see an F150 repair thrash in the spirit of the van, I think the Volvo is the better option.

• Locked thread