Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I knew I should have been on IRC recently...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

You call that blower surge... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga7Q8F3l5y0

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Mostly because a complete, with all accessories, all wiring, all manifolds, ECU, literally everything motor of V8/V10 flavor costs me $300 plus tax.

Sure, donors exist down south, but they're much more ragged mileage wise because the trucks don't rot apart around them by the time they turn 150k. So a good donor has a substantial pricetag attached to it... I've seen $1500-2k.

Are you willing to pay the premium for a rust free southern drivetrain? Go ahead and do it. Want the same thing 5-6 times cheaper, but it looks nasty and you have to fight with the exhaust manifold fasteners a bit? Go ahead and do it.

I'm a cheap rear end in a top hat, so the choice is clear to me. :v:

And it's not like the manifold and other bitchy fasteners aren't going to be available for access, with the motor out and all... It's not like the block goes bad by being rusty. I'd certainly take a rusty northeast truck motor with far fewer miles than a clean southern motor with a quarter million miles.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Are you 100% sure that's coolant, and not rusty water that's condensed in the exhaust after sitting in a back alley for months?

It's coolant...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'll leave the explanation to fish, but:

PLUS:

PLUS:

https://goo.gl/maps/NEtAU1AVv3t

Gotta go to one of my mom's doctors appointments, might as well do a "good" deed along the way.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 10, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

See if you can get the deck built in America by goon labour and then apply to import it to Australia?

Or put sails on it, and make it a real voyage!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

rdb posted:

It's a common problem known as pump rub. There is a little clip that eats a hole through the magnesium housing, they all fail, it's just a matter of when.
If there are enough miles on the transfer case, it'll eventually happen, but it's not like they go at 60k or something. I had 172k on my old truck, and it never leaked a drop.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

VikingSkull posted:

It's not even just a lift kit, it's literally every piece of suspension and steering gear plus modifications to the frame. It's insane, lol.

The Quigley's are Fords and IIRC are provided with stuff that makes it a bolt on from the factory. Lifted Ford vans seem much easier to pull off.

Quigley does Ford, GM, and Nissan.
http://www.quigley4x4.com/Quigley-Products/Quigley-4x4-GM-Vans/Pricing

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

literally a fish posted:

Guys I know you're all super excited about the possibilities but Terrible Robot is 100% correct.

SCOPE CREEP, PEOPLE. It's an engine swap from an old as dirt TBI SBC to a shiny new MPFI 3rd gen LS motor, along with the dozens of other things that it'll turn out to need (brakes, suspension crap, god knows what else) - that's all going to be hard enough on its own.

I'm trying my best to not kill the vibe but there's no point in planning to do things that we simply won't be able to achieve with the time and workforce available okay :v:

(at least not this year)

Nitrous, on the other hand...

Agreed. RWD it is. I assume that we'll be delaying the NEAI meetup until it's done, so let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Make a plan, stick to the plan, and we have a chance of completing the plan.

Also, it's official: Trailer rented, locations confirmed, trip to HF planned for tomorrow to pick up some bigger ratchet straps and a come-along. I'm debating even bringing my little 2500# ATV winch, I didn't get a chance to make a bracket for it, and I don't have the trailer on-hand to test fit. I'm heading down to iForge's on Thursday morning, arriving at 1500, pick up the trailer, get to his place by 1600, where he can help load. Haul down to Richmond, spend the night at Adiabatic's :gooncamp: , and then drop off the trailer in the morning and head to my mom's for the all-important appointment Friday afternoon.

Is anyone planning on working on the van this weekend? I could head back down to RVA, it's only 2.5 hours... assuming the appointment goes well.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm planning on being there this weekend for initial triage/preliminary work.

Maybe it'll be a threesome!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
The tow vehicle has been prepped:
1. Full tank of diesel, DEF topped off 1000 miles ago
2. 2500# HF ATV Winch on 1/2" plate, with a 1/2" shackle on the back for chains, possibly the most ghetto-rigged thing I've ever made
3. Aforementioned chains: 3/8" and 1/2" short pieces with chain hooks; 3/8" GR7 trucker's chain, assorted shackles and pear links
4. Ridiculous jumper cables to power winch
5. 2x new HF 10K# ratchet straps
6. Grease gun
7. Tools for whatever might occur en-route
8. 3x Rubber chocks for the van
9. Hitch (3-way, hopefully it'll be low enough to not gently caress me over. If need be, I'll buy a drop hitch) and hitch adapter sleeve for the new 2.5" standard receiver size.
10. 8000# HF Comealong, several shots of 3/8" line
11. Starting fluid
12. Fire extinguisher
13. Clothes, sleeping bag, etc for comfort

Anything I'm missing? I'll put pictures on my Instagram (sharkytm) and SnapChat (sharkytm) if I have time.

\/\/ I don't really drink, but I've got a mason jar of 'shine from WV. Maybe I'll bring that. 190 proof, tastes like strawberry.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 13, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Van delivered, although there may be an issue in the vertical dimension. There certainly wasn't any extra room in the horizontal either. Side skirts were rubbing on both sides.

10 hours of driving today, but that's not why my rear end is sore. Ugh, too much hotdog.

http://i.imgur.com/RkGoOVW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rOKxLBG.jpg

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 15, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Different truck, even. And nightmares count as dreams, right?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

8ender posted:

Looking forward to Adiabatic's new van shaped cutout above his garage door
We may have a solution, note: MAY.

Fart Pipe posted:

Oh no poo poo? Where do you keep getting these amazing vehicle saving white trucks?
Yeah, this one is a diesel. And new, like <9,000 miles as of right now. The old one I bought used in 2009, this one was bought new last August.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

literally a fish posted:

I really need someone to stand next to this thing for scale. I don't think I quite grasp just how enormous it is. :v:

:sun::swoon: ALL OF THE LOVE FOR SHARKY :swoon::sun:

Wes has evil plans for getting it into the garage. Hopefully they work :v:
Yesterday was incredibly long, but well worth the effort. I was literally punching myself in the leg to make it to the hospital, in the waiting room now. :kimchi:

Many thanks to Wes for hosting me overnight, sorry to keep you up past your bedtime. :a2m: I left a mud trail up your driveway, if you catch my drift.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Good news delivered, so who's coming down tomorrow to help work on the van?

:thumbs: This guy.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

AcidRonin posted:

This is the raddest loving thing. I told my new wife to gently caress off and visit her sister so I can come Sunday to see this monstrosity.

Awesome. I'm going to sleep in, and drive back down in the morning. Bring exact change for the dumb Richmond toll.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

:siren: there is a 6.0L V8 Vortec donor at Johnston RI. Currently mostly complete, some ancillaries are missing but can be grabbed from rockauto or other donors nearby. :siren:

:siren::siren: HALF PRICE OFF SALE IS THIS WEEKEND :siren::siren:

As in TOMORROW

Who has a pickup or a tow vehicle of any sort and a utility trailer? No way I can have my shithouse MJ running insured and registered by tomorrow.

I will do as much of the pulling as needed, just need someone with the aforementioned transportation who wants to spend tomorrow in a junkyard.

I'd offer help and hauling vehicle, but...

Adiabatic and I were discussing this exact situation yesterday night, I wish we could have timed it better.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Wes, they're isn't a big enough :love: in the world for those and you (and Badger).

:bigtran:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

iForge posted:

Yeah its easy to start when there's no loving coolant left to flood the cylinders :argh:

Excuses, excuses. I can't hear you over the sound of that video looping.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

I know, right? Just a few days different timing and we could have sent you down with the whole drivetrain in the bed and the van on the trailer. Oh well.

I was thinking about this last night but didn't expect a 6.0 to show up like that.
Yeah, poo poo timing.

I'll probably be heading back here soon enough, got home repairs at mom's house to do. She's got a big garage that I could put the motor for storage until someone Richmond-bound can pick it up, assuming I can borrow an engine hoist.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I think I've got Peter Tosh's "We don't want no nuclear war" on cassette. It's LOLerific.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Status report:
1. Van does not fit through door, even riding on dollies under the control arms.
2. Front panel removed, engine will come out the front.
3. All accessories removed, wiring disconnected.
4. Sawzall battery charging in prep for exhaust removal tomorrow.
5. Four more bellhousing bolts to go, inspection cover removed, torque converter accessible.

http://i.imgur.com/t8UZCsh.jpg

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Exhaust is cut just below the manifold flanges, starter is out, inspection plate off. Need to decide if we're pulling the engine and tranny today or not. We found where at least some coolant had been going:

http://i.imgur.com/fPrGmiY.jpg

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Terrible Robot posted:

Man this weekend was awesome. I'm glad Sharky made it back over for wrenching/drinking, he was a huge help and generally rad as gently caress.

We got a good bit of work done, probably 5 bolts are left holding the driveline to the van, so next time all that old junk will be outta there quick fast. Wes and Sharky have most of the interesting pictures and video, I'm sure one of them will be along shortly to provide visual delights.

It was great hanging out. Good company, plenty of excitement, no injuries or broken bolts, I'd call that a great weekend.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Didn't manage to pull the LQ4/9 in Johnston due to weather and lack of a truck to haul it with.

Checked Sams on the way to work this morning and they have a lot of LM7s that have now been pillaged a bit (and their intakes left open to the weather... gently caress I hate people) but no 6.0s.

Hoping no one took the one at Johnston. Anyone down for a pull this week or next weekend?

I'd be down for next weekend if the weather holds. My wife's got a concert in Brockton, so I'm free.

The Denali looks like a possibility, I drove through New Roach on the way down to DE. I came back via I-78, so no NYC.

Trip total: 1582 miles over 5 days, but Friday/Saturday were only from WV to RVA, and Sunday was very few miles (aside from the tow). Burned 3 tanks of fuel, but at sub-$2 pricing in VA, I'm not too bothered by the fuel cost. 15MPG towing the 8000# trailer+van, 18.5 on the trip average.

Fish: I'll pull together the expenses.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 19, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Adiabatic, I just had the country rezone your property as a salvage yard. Seibert's will start transferring their yard contents today during business hours. Hope that's OK, bye. :bigtran:

In all seriousness, even though it's possibly a better deal, the Denali is only an option if someone else local has a place for it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Clouds...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
You mean the totally made up, bullshit name given to the storm by The Weather Channel?

Yeah, let's let that decide our fate.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I did that in my old ranger, and in the old truck. It was so much fun... Drag them out, disconnect the chain, "have a good day, drive safely" and boogie. They always expected me to hit them up for money.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
My schedule is very flexible, just need the powertrain to be the right cost and a reasonable distance from Ken's.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

NitroSpazzz posted:

Supercharge it, conversion van with blower whine would be amazing.

Toothed-belt-driven twin-screw. HNGGGG!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

opengl128 posted:

Likewise I see the LS1 called a 350 all the time too.

I mostly see the 6.0 truck motor being called a "350"... loving truck guys. It's a 6 Litre, not a tree-fiddy.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

That's just loving retarded, especially since 6.0L is 366 cubic inches, not 350. That's not even close. Calling a 5.7 a 350 is retarded, but nowhere near as retarded as calling a 6.0 a 350.

SPEAKING OF WHICH

Who is up for some junkyard trolling? I might make a scouting run this weekend if I have a chance. Likely Worcester, Cumberland, and Johnston. Might hit Blackstone too.

Saturday, early, I'm available. Sunday is a no-go, got a combined birthday party for like 4 family members in CT to go to. :(

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

The bling aisle of your local auto parts store has all the letters and numbers :v:

I think the gate opens at 8. If I aim for 6-7, I might make it there for 8... doesn't matter what order the yards are in as far as I'm concerned, you wanna start closer and end up further from home or vise versa?

If we're vortec-shopping, then starting closer to you might be best. Text me tonight.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Initial reports from Ken:

kastein posted:

sams is a bust, just a billion clapped out molested lr4s and 2 or 3 water damaged molested lm7s. hitting the other yards shortly though you're probably busy

:(

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'm available on Saturday, if anyone wants to go jy'ing.

:edit: Not available Sunday anymore... gotta get to WV earlier than Monday morning at 0200.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 5, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'm actually heading to WV on Sunday morning, but I was planning on bringing the Fit. Hmmmmm.

:edit: Time change.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 5, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
At least someone had a productive weekend... I saw the snaps, awesome! Did you happen to measure how high the hoist goes with the engine and transmission attached, so we can figure out if it'll pick the new one out of my truck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

chrisgt posted:

Put the engine hoist in the back of the Comanche.

This is honestly an option. I think the Commanche tailgate will slide under mine, the height difference is so great.

daslog posted:

If it doesn't, just put cinderblocks under the front wheels of the hoist. Once the engine is in the air, drive the truck out from under it very slowly.
The host already has a bent leg, and it's one of the folding ones, so more of the load would be on the pin, but it might work.

• Locked thread