Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Libluini posted:

The problem is, I can't really understand the logic of someone who first sins until he is damned and then just continues sinning because he will be punished anyway. I could understand getting regrets and changing sides in the hope of some small mercy after death, what I can't understand is doubling down on being evil just because. It's insane and selfish behaviour. What I would call stupid.

If they felt their punishment was justified, they would be rational and not stupid. If they'd accept that what they were doing was wrong and tried to change their behaviour, I'd call them smart.

And honestly, I would expect every rational person to just suck it up and deal with the pain if the alternative is killing almost every person alive.

The behavior that damns them is using magic. Once the Stain is on you, gently caress you, you're hosed, thanks for playing.

WLW goes into some detail that it's not necessarily a great gig to be a mundane human unless you pick the right deity to spend your life sucking up to, but sorcerers (with the possible exception of the Water Bearers, which is interesting on a lot of levels) have the choice between "slam the door to the Outside shut, which necessitates genocide" and "suffer eternal torment, 100% guaranteed".

Really, the Consult should be having another go at showing their proof to other mages and turning them into insane apocalypse cultists, because it's a fairly compelling argument if you are in any way persuadeable to be a selfish dickhead.

It is implied that Kellhus has come up with another, probably monstrous solution, but in fairness to the Consult, they hang out with the Inchoroi, who have spent many eons traveling the galaxy to kill almost everybody on any given planet in hopes of achieving the design goal.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A human heart posted:

The stupid fantasy man's books wouldn't be good even if they were completely accurate to neuroscience

A piercing and instructive commentary, could you expand on it?

Edit:

General Battuta posted:

Read Bakker for the superb tone of deep abominable history and killer war-slash-intrigue. Dude knows how to make a world feel big and old and interesting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, this is basically what I've been leaning towards, only stated better.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

kcroy posted:

I think he was specifically searching for the nuke, I'm guessing he had info about somehow and what its effects would be. Basically he emptied out the well of Viri until that showed up.

Still TGO spoilers:I rather wonder if mass sacrifice by way of Inchoroi nuke was a necessary step in Kellhus becoming untethered from prophecy like the No-God. Twice now we've had it all-but-stated that the process of activating the original No-God involved the destruction of the souls of human prisoners - and as a bonus, we know this through the Mandate, which means the knowledge is floating around outside the Consult.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Wasn't that an Achamian special dream, not standard Mandate?

I don't really recall which things were/are special to him.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Alfredo Pangea posted:

I was curious on this did Kelhaus escape the WLW because of something to do with using that ciphrang head to ,make a half ciphrang zombie thing. or did whatever is REALLY inside Celmomas (it has to be something more than just the intellect part of his now dead twin, I thought it had to do with or be Yatwer, since it was a slave similar to the one that helps Sorweel , that does the stare-ectomy) him to yell do it?

Pretty sure it breaks because of No-God related shenanigans, we've been hearing for books now how that bluescreens the Gods.

Now, what exact bullshit Kellhus is up to? Interesting question. I keep rereading the head-on-a-spike bits. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Kuiperdolin posted:

The No-God appears in a whirlwind and Bakker does this thing where the POV obliquely describes an Inchoroi technological device he does not understand (like the elevator in Golgoterrath or the Heron Spear which is apparently not a spear but some kind of beam weapon).

So some made the whirlwind - helicopter connection. I don't think there's more to it.

Personally I am like 90% joking when I talk about the No-God being a helicopter, but I totally didn't realize about the goddamn elevator :psyduck:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

General Battuta posted:

In the same way there are no female Inchoroi. Bakker doesn't really conceive of female sexuality as something active and agentic.

I'm not entirely sure how the High Priestess of Yatwer fits into this, mind.

Who is incidentally one of my favorite characters. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

kcroy posted:

What's a shae?

Sranc meets autocorrect? :v:

Seems like a dumb argument to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

various cheeses posted:

Anyone have a Heron Spear handy?

i have no idea why i didn't jump to this conclusion