Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Where are you getting this from? Advance copy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Huh, the new characters introduced in that chapter muddy my ideas about how this series will progress, based on my assumption that it will be very similar to the first apocalypse. I originally had Kelmomas in the role of Anaxophus V, but maybe he's going in another direction and it won't be so close a mirror.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I liked the Consult plan of nuke 'em from below, it's the only way to be sure.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
How did Kelhus learn about radiation sickness?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The end of the Momemn final chapter sure was something. This book really yanked me around on my perceptions of Kellhus' plan and motives. I have less idea than ever what Kelmomas' purpose is, but for the first time I care a little bit.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I recommend doing just that. The summary at the beginning is enough.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
No, the real god of gods.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Wasn't that an Achamian special dream, not standard Mandate?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I think except as noted (Celmoman prophecy from a new perspective) all his dreams are assumed to be new and specific to him as this cycles Seswatha figure.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I thought he did Proyas mainly to get at Saubon. Saubon reacted a lot more poorly when he heard about it than Proyas seemed to from receiving it. It was a two in one, the shortest dicking.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Well Kellhus 's realisation that all souls are one would support the idea that the gods are just aspects of The God, so Inri can't have been too far out. Which raises the question of how and why he was able to come to those conclusions.

I think you mean Kellhus' claim that all souls are one. He was still working to manipulate and control Achamian when he told him that. And obviously he synched his speech with Achamian through Dunyain mind reading, not because he was actually linked to him through the ur-soul. C'mon. :colbert:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The Nail was a star that got a lot brighter shortly (in astronomical terms) before the Inchorai arrived. It might be a star they made go supernova, presumably they were wiping out life throughout the galaxy as part of the plan.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Chris Hemsworth for Kellhus. Steve Buscemi for Achamian.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Cnaius is the main character.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Discussion of the new book never really picked up like I expected it to.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The ribcage/chest is always described as dog-like.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

General Battuta posted:

That reminds me, did we have any hints about the existence of the Tall before this book? I remember loads of nonman heroes wrestling dragons and poo poo, but I don't remember any hints that they were literally Very Large Nonmans

No, it's like they just suddenly climbed out of a whale mother's vagina.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
:golfclap:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Collateral posted:

Do they keep their women chained down in perpetual pregnancy chambers, I can't think that they produce many normal children, never mind these <3 Übermensch. They would be lucky if 1 in a 1000 births were not the baby from Eraserhead.

:allears:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Or it could be based on real world biological sex differences and distributions of various traits.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
If you believe that more strength and endurance are better than less and that a better chance of being a genius outweighs a better chance of being a retard despite similar means, then males are objectively better than females. I don't think there's a good argument for the second, but the first principle surely isn't controversial?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I bow before the collective horror of SA before too much reality, but I did predict something like the whale mothers role for female dunyain because it seemed the logical outgrowth of their philosophy applied to our current reality. It's faster to breed your super race if you divide roles like that, I just wasn't sure Bakker would have the balls to do it. Kudos for that, even if the physical sexual dimorphism went into WTF LOL territory.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

General Battuta posted:

It isn't remotely faster and makes no sense because (sorry if I shock you with too much reality) men's and women's brains are so close to identical that we neuroscientists can't even agree if there are detectable differences. Good luck breeding your super race without active, agile, socially engaged women - you'll all end up loving morons.

Of course it's faster if you keep the women pregnant constantly to maximize your choice of candidates to cull every generation. And it's more efficient to spend most of your training and assessment resources on the males who aren't pregnant all the time.

But yes you'd need to screen your female breeding stick for desirable traits. You just don't need to train them because then they won't want to be brood mares and slow your one hundred generation project down.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

General Battuta posted:

It's not faster at all. Let me be clear: the reason it works for the Dunyain is because Bakker wanted it to work. That's it.

You are trying to make this work in real life and it doesn't: it topples into farce at the slightest logical examination. Set aside the fact that men and women are near identical and you couldn't possibly breed one sex into a sessile tank without doing it to the other. You actively would not want to.

Im not talking about physical breeding into whale mothers. I'm talking about generational size and the undesirability of grating right that reduce birth rates. The advanced sexual dimorphism is absurd, I agree with that. You'd pick a cutoff age for assessment, keep the smartest and strongest and keep them constantly pregnant, kill the rest. Same for the men, but they spend their time in training and thought not hindered by pregnancy or infant rearing. You're better off with 15 kids per generation and women doing no meaningful training than 3 kids per generation and something closer to equality. Two 140 IQ parents need to have A KOT of kids to get a yield of 130+ and start moving that mean you're regressing to.

General Battuta posted:

But first let's take a step back here: you aren't talking about a eugenics program. You said that the objective moral inferiority and subjugation of women was justified in the real world due to the (again) objective superiority of men. Do you stand by that?

I didn't say that.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Never realized the Shield of Sil is a stylized vagina before.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So I just finished the first trilogy and felt a little underwhelmed by the confrontation with Moenghus. The motivations of the consult have sort of been revealed and Kellhus claims Moenghus would inevitably eventually share them. But I'm not clear on how they know damnation is inevitable for them. And also for all sorcerers apparently? But then oughtn't the Cishaurum be ok since theirs doesn't leave the Mark?

That stuff is all pretty unclear to me.

The second trilogy introduces someone with an ability who can see damnation. It's not clear how much sorcery is necessary to drat someone regardless of any other deeds they might perform, but there's no doubt that those who take it up as a career are doomed.

The Cishaurim are also damned. The crime is altering creation through sorcery. Their blindness just lest them make the new reality more perfectly match the old reality on a human perceptible level, so that the Few who are able to see the underlying reality can't spot the change made. But the change and crime still happened.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
It's always been obvious that the Second Apocalypse is mirroring the First in its broad strokes. Kellhus' ancestor was not the ultimate victor.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

General Battuta posted:

Achamian is Seswatha m/b?

Always the most obvious bit. This cycle just reversed which guy banged the other's wife.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Wait, wasn't the original No God catalyst Seswatha's secret child and not an Anasurimbor at all? The Consult were wrong about why it worked the first time, yet it nevertheless worked that way this time.

Since Achamian is Seswatha in this cycle does that make his newborn son, one of the last able to be born, likely significant in destroying the No God this time?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

the trump tutelage posted:

It's described as a prosthesis and a tool that helps the Ark read the "code" of life, which becomes more signal and less noise with deaths (and presumably with approaching the magic 144,000 number). If anything, it sounds like it's an embodied algorithm.

I always thought the 144k number was the maximum number of souls that can be alive in order to close off the outside.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I can accept that mood altering effects were deliberately engineered into Sranc flesh, but the qirri stuff is super dumb. Evolved crematory super cocaine cannibalism? :lol:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Book chat: I disliked Proyas' smug certainty in the original trilogy, I definitely liked how his arc ended in this series. I felt a little bit the opposite about Saubon, I enjoyed his mercenary adoption of Kellhus in The Prince of Nothing, and wish his ultimate betrayal for the cause had been a bit later in The Aspect Emperor.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

the trump tutelage posted:

Something I noticed in TUC which is maybe meaningless but whatever, apparently babies receive their souls at birth, which I guess is why you can still conceive while the No-God is swirling around but the babies will be still-born.

"Life", then, requires both a soul and a body, so I'm still holding a candle for being "alive" despite Bakker saying he's "no baby" (presumably, his soul did not inhabit Akka's kid), and that he's "dead".
His soul is still out there and may be able to affect things
. Somewhat related, were sranc ever identified as tekne?

You left out the name of who you are holding a candle for.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

kcroy posted:

wrt Ajokli - he is there fighting in the first apocalypse isn't he? I seem to recall one of the kings or something talking about him. Maybe seeing 4 horns, or lighting flashing like 4 horns around him or something?

I think that was in some version of Achamian remembering the Celmomian prophecy. I feel like it wasn't called out in the original trilogy, though, since Bakker probably hadn't thought this stuff up yet.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
So I've only skimmed the final Kellhus parts, but I have questions.

Kellhus talking to Proyas while he's hanging seems to tell the truth about a lot of things, and given that (I don't think) Proyas communicates anything meaningful to anyone else, I don't think there was much reason to lie. One thing he said was that the No God was eventually doomed to succeed.

If true, I think this is based on the same idea as Kelmomas' invisibility to the gods - he's going to be the No God, the No God is invisible to the gods, and so he's always been invisible to the gods. Golgotterath/the Ark itself is apparently invisible to the gods as well, so maybe this means they will eventually succeed in closing off the world, and as the agent of that closing, Golgotterath is invisible.

If I have this right (I might not), certain conclusions follow.

1. If Kellhus has a plan for immortality he then necessarily needs to give up on defeating the Consult/No God. He needs to become or coopt it over some time horizon. (If he doesn't have a plan for immortality he may just want to defeat them now and set up some legacy that continues any search for the Absolute goals he might still retain.)

2. If Kellhus is aware of the timeless invisibility of things invisible to the gods, he might have noticed divine actors being thrown off by Kelmomas' presence, and he almost certainly would have realized what that meant. In which case he knew Kelmomas would become the No God, knew Ajokli wouldn't be able to see it happen, and might have incorporated that into some plan to cheat Ajokli (and the Consult). (Ajokli can't find Kellhus in the Outside.) But I'm not sure he actually knew there were divine influenced actors being thrown off by Kelmomas' presence.

So what did Kellhus do if he did do something to avoid death in his actual body?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

kcroy posted:

hey can you link the AMA?

He's the first poster here.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I could have used less depravity in the early marching bits, but I liked this. I'm also ok with ending it here, he obviously found the Anasurimbor parts of the first apocalypse the most interesting (almost no Seswatha dreams of the later southern fights and defeat of the no-God), a repeat of that in the first two series was good.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Phanatic posted:

I'm rereading the first trilogy and after the bit where hundreds of thousands of the Holy War die of thirst, there's a comment about how the story about the trail of dead was talked about "for generations." So maybe the ending of TUC isn't what he had in mind all along.

The conceit of the appendix suggests there are future historians who wrote down the details of the great ordeal, so.

Certainly he left a dropped laser/spear, Achamian continuing to act as a new Seswatha, mystical miracle babies born and killed on either side of the the No-God's rebirth, Moenghus with the Scylvendi, the No-God's seed's object of creepy maternal obsession still potentially alive, and Kellhus' dunyain grandson still running around the wilderness as future plot devices able to fight the apocalypse even with a devastated three seas and almost all sorcerers dead.

On the subject of sorcery, no chorae on the sarcophagus this time means it should have been vulnerable to sorcery, right?

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 13, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Cardiac posted:

As for the Gnosis, as far as I understood it, one needs to touch the heart of seswatha to understand it.

I'm quite sure Seswatha was touching some part of himself during his apprenticeship and blaming it on the gnosis when someone walked in on him. :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

kcroy posted:

What's a shae?

Short for the name of the reputedly dead Consult human sorcerer guy. It's not true, though, he changed bodies mid sentence and it's totally implausible he beat five Dunyain rather than five Dunyain used their super intelligence to mimic his body switching talking in order to influence the other Consult by making it seem like they're him, but better.