Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

mrEkli posted:

Jackbox 1 is worth it for Drawful alone. I played it with family this Christmas, none of them game much. It's also nice that anyone with a smartphone or tablet could play too.

No kidding, the lack of controller necessity really made it perfect for holiday gatherings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SNK gave me a free Athena Christmas theme with unique illustration, song, and icons. Thank you, SNK!

If you are in EU, search for Athena DLC for KOF14, it's a pack of two PS4 themes + one costume for the game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Rirse posted:

I rather like the cheesey Holiday theme that was given out last week. It not quite the classic 360 holiday theme, but it great in the same cheesey fashion as Corn Love.
aw man i missed a free theme?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Awesome! posted:

aw man i missed a free theme?

Check your email, as it went out a few days ago.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Coldforge posted:

Please. Get that weak poo poo out of here.

Exactly. Now if this was the theme...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=835iBXEdZbE&t=256s

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Kin posted:

Exactly. Now if this was the theme...

I could do without the skellies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc9cNHZFTts&t=80s

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Minidust posted:

I recall some recommendations for the Jackbox Party games. Would those still be good for someone who already has the Wii/U library of casual party stuff available?
Yes, especially if you're planning on having large (>4 people) gatherings. I own all the Wii/U casual stuff too, and for everyone to use their phones and do away with wrangling controllers is just great. There are very few stinkers in any of the packs. I'd start with Pack 2, but that's just me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kinda knew This War of Mine would be free since it just got a big update on Steam, but I still don't regret paying full price (twice) for it. Game is so good.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Jackbox Party Pack 3 has, among other things, a Quiplash version aka the best game by them, TeeKO, a game that allows you to make shirts you can literally buy, and a slasher themed trivia game with a side of loving over your friends, so it's good fun.

Really excited for This War of Mine. It looks like the kind of dreadful, tonally, that I am all for.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Rirse posted:

Check your email, as it went out a few days ago.
They never email me any good poo poo :argh:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It's too bad Jackbox 1 isn't on sale. If you don't have any Jackbox games, the Party Pack 1 is the one to get. There's a couple bad games in there, but the combination of Fibbage, Drawful, and the full version of YDKJ 2011 is good fun.

I'm bummed that Pack 3 is $16 and Pack 2 is $10 in this sale. Both Pack 1 and 2 have been $5 in previous sales, even shortly after release. I was hoping to pick up Pack 3 at some point for cheap, but it seems like they're becoming less inclined to do deep discounts on those games than in previous years.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how's the megaman legacy collection? it's pretty cheap and I've never played those games.

edit: same question for the metal slug anthology

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kurtofan posted:

how's the megaman legacy collection? it's pretty cheap and I've never played those games.

edit: same question for the metal slug anthology

That Mega Man collection is a proper port; an accurate and cheap way to play those games. If Mega Man is the sort of game you'd like though, that's for you to know, but seeing as you are into Donkey Kong, you'll probably like it. Start with Mega Man 2 and 3.

Metal Slug is awesome but that anthology thing is poo poo because it's just an emulated PS2 title which was already known for having input lag, so it's much worse now.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Saoshyant posted:

That Mega Man collection is a proper port; an accurate and cheap way to play those games. If Mega Man is the sort of game you'd like though, that's for you to know, but seeing as you are into Donkey Kong, you'll probably like it. Start with Mega Man 2 and 3.

Metal Slug is awesome but that anthology thing is poo poo because it's just an emulated PS2 title which was already known for having input lag, so it's much worse now.

Thanks, bought megaman.

shame about the slugs.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the filters in mega man legacy are great

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Popular Human posted:

PS+
This War Of Mine: The Little Ones

Does this mean the whole game and the dlc or just the dlc?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Weavered posted:

no ps plus game will ever just be the dlc

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Real hurthling! posted:

no ps plus game will ever just be the dlc

Infamous: First Light?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i mean, if you want to be pedantic about it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

actually all the ps+ games are DLC

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BisterdDave posted:

Infamous: First Light?

thats a standalone game with additional arena battle content for owners of the main game. no such thing exists for this war of mine

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Super No Vacancy posted:

actually all the ps+ games are DLC
Delightful, Loved, and Cherished games

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Weavered posted:

The Little Ones is standard with the PS4 version. I don't think the PS4 version has the new NPCs and areas they just added to the Steam version yet but those should be free.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Is Doom on PS4 a solid experience if I don't want to upgrade my PC?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It runs at 1080p/60fps like 99.9% of the time so yes.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Sakurazuka posted:

It runs at 1080p/60fps like 99.9% of the time so yes.

Cool, thanks. And it controls fine?

I can really only allow myself to buy one game from this sale, and I'm deciding between Doom or Bloodborne. I don't care about length of the game, just the experience, and Doom seems like a hoot.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 30, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Doom is amazing. Bloodborne is probably my favourite game on PS4 but I'd go with DOOM unless you're a massive Souls fan.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Renoistic posted:

I can really only allow myself to buy one game from this sale, and I'm deciding between Doom or Bloodborne. I don't care about length of the game, just the experience, and Doom seems like a hoot.

Hmm, definitely going to have to suggest getting both anyway.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Renoistic posted:

Bloodborne is a god-tier game but Doom is great too. I'd buy both but if you have to choose one make it Bloodborne

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The cost of entry in skill and time is higher with Bloodborne but the payoff is greater.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Renoistic posted:

Bloodborne is the way better game in my opinion, I'm one of the few people that thought new Doom was only decent, but Doom is much less of a gamble if you don't already know you like the Souls style of gameplay.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm leaning towards Doom, especially after watching some Bloodborne videos. It looks like a game I should like in theory but might end up hating in practice.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Bloodborne has points where you'll spend a few hours playing and maybe accomplish one thing that qualifies as "progress" in the traditional sense. It's very rewarding when you hit those walls and finally manage to climb over them, but it's an investment as others have said. DOOM by contrast moves really fast (literally and figuratively). Outstanding games but easy to see how a person might prefer one over the other.

Source: I am currently playing Bloodborne and DOOM for the first time

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

They never email me any good poo poo :argh:

Welcome to the party :smith:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Renoistic posted:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm leaning towards Doom, especially after watching some Bloodborne videos. It looks like a game I should like in theory but might end up hating in practice.

Have you ever played a Souls game?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Pablo Gigante posted:

Careful how you answer this, I hear Sony reps will come to your house and repossess your Playstation if you respond incorrectly

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Pablo Gigante posted:

I played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls for a couple of hours but couldn't get into them. I hear Bloodborne is supposed to be the best in the "series", though. I normally enjoy character action games like DMC and Ninja Gaiden, but there was just something about the old Souls games that didn't click with me. That combined with the harsh checkpoint system made it hard to bother with the effort. I really would like to get into the series though.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 30, 2016

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Renoistic posted:

I played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls for a couple of hours but couldn't get into them. I hear Bloodborne is supposed to be the best in the "series", though.
If you didn't like the Souls games, I really doubt you'd enjoy Bloodborne. It's the "best" in that it's a further iteration on the same style of game. If you do consider getting it, I'd really suggest borrowing or renting a copy first unless you just find a really cheap deal or something.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Renoistic posted:

I played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls for a couple of hours but couldn't get into them. I hear Bloodborne is supposed to be the best in the "series", though. I normally enjoy character action games like DMC and Ninja Gaiden, but there was just something about the old Souls games that didn't click with me. That combined with the harsh checkpoint system made it hard to bother with the effort. I really would like to get into the series though.

If you didn't like DeS or DaS you probably won't like Bloodborne. It's a little faster paced than the Souls games but not anywhere near the pace of DMC or Ninja Gaiden. The checkpoint system is basically the same as well, just replacing bonfires with lanterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

MisterAlex posted:

If you didn't like the Souls games, I really doubt you'd enjoy Bloodborne. It's the "best" in that it's a further iteration on the same style of game. If you do consider getting it, I'd really suggest borrowing or renting a copy first unless you just find a really cheap deal or something.

On the other hand, I've heard a ton of anecdotes about people who didn't really get the souls games, but loved Bloodborne (and then went back and loved the rest of them too)

• Locked thread