Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mystery Opponent posted:

I bought a PS4 on the latest Black Friday sale and got a few games (Bloodborne, Journey and the Laura Croft co-op game, in addition to Battlefront that came with the system). Anything else I should get? I'd like some co-op games that I can play with my wife, she really liked Halo 4 when we had on the X360.

This one is probably a dumb question, but how often do AAA titles go on sale? Any chance to see a significant drop in the price of, say, Black Ops 3 or Arkham Knight?
You guys might like Borderlands (i.e. Handsome Collection) for hotseat co-op. Rocket League could also be a great choice.

AAA titles do go on sale (see: Black Friday, Christmas, Spring sales), but CoD games don't have a great history of it.

Also thank you for the opportunity to post on the first page of this thread so I can find my posts easily later this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

barren_sky posted:

There's a Playstation 'Essentials' (ie: "old') games sale on. Activision still trying it's damndest to get people to pay over $20 for it's lovely Spider-man game.

I've been waiting for a good deal on AC: Black Flag, since I love the sailing bits and sea chanties so much. I'd quit it half-way though back in the day because the rest of the game is Assassin's Creed. It's on sale for $20 with or without the DLC.
So, is the Black Flag with DLC worth it for the $0.01 extra?

I've been waiting to pick this up for a while now. I think I'll pick up Second Son as well for $11.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Helldivers is only multiplayer or does it have a single player mode?

Kind of jazzed for Ultimax, never got around to buying that one.
from checking out reviews/videos it does have a single player mode that is different strategically but it's just not going to be as fun as multiplayer. like the exact opposite of a good single player game with mp tacked on

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Looks like we're getting I Am Alive for PS3 instead of Super Stardust HD. Nice?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Broforce is up and free for PS+ in the NA store, or at least the CAD branch of same.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Watrick posted:

So Super Stardust HD is up as a freebie now. Did I miss that?

Yep. I Am Alive is gone and Stardust is now up.
Same, except I picked up I Am Alive when it was free. My license for IAA still seems valid. Nice?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

anybody get their 15 dollar rebate from the promotion last week yet? how long do those usually take, 2-3 wks?
The promo details said we'd receive the code on or before March 8.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I'll admit, despite my backlog, pretty tempted to snag Alien: Isolation GOTY edition + Evil Within for just a hair over $40. I just know they're such obvious Halloween sale fodder, which is possibly when I'd get around to playing them.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Whats better, Singularity or Wolfenstien?
Tough call, without knowing how well TNO plays on PS3. Having played both, I'm going to say Singularity since you may eventually play TNO on PS4, and TNO will probably ruin Singularity but not vice-versa.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 23, 2016

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I want to like games like Tropico, but I end up in this trap where I get bored with the game before I get out of the tutorials, but without the tutorials I feel like I'm missing out on how to play the game.
The Destructoid review guy felt the same way as you do. Apparently there is still some hand-holding in the Sandbox mode that helps you learn the game, no need to wade into Campaign or w/e if that's not your style.

Looks like you're in luck this time!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

This current sale, though.

Witcher 3, Just Cause 3 and Dying Light have all been in my sights for a while.

I've been holding onto a 20% discount code until I found a sale where my cart would be ~$150, looks like that time came sooner than I thought.

Oddly enough, I noticed that at least for CAD that Witcher 3 seems like it's cheaper (~$0.26) to buy the base game and season pass separately rather than bundled. Wonder why that is.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Kirios posted:

Edit: On a side note, what's everyone's worst PS Plus game they've played? One that you turned on for 30 seconds...immediately went "gently caress this." and deleted.
Woah Dave!, easily.

For non-PS4 it was Titan Attacks!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Obsurveyor posted:

Woah, Dave! and Road Not Taken are tied for me. Honorable mentions: Tower of Guns, Never Alone, Race the Sun, Rocketbirds: Hardboiled, KickBeat and Shutshimi.
Almost forgot about KickBeat.

Other honorable mentions for me: Hardware: Rivals, Contrast, Mousecraft, Entwined, Secret Ponchos, Stealth Inc. 2, Sound Shapes, Super Exploding Zoo, and Hohokum.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

That was on ps4 too
True, though I only played it on PS3. I'll amend to say Cloudberry Kingdom then.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

BGrifter posted:

How was the DLC in Shadow of Mordor? I bought it at launch, platinumed it in a couple weeks and sold it. $12 CAD for the GotY edition is kind of tempting if the DLC is any good.
Skins don't carry through to cutscenes so they're not really worthwhile. The Beastmaster DLC is some second-string game mechanic additions and an other separate army of orcs that you're mandated to use the gimmicks on to win. Story is barebones. Bright Lord DLC is more interesting/ambitious with more focus on mind-control mechanics, but it's quite a bit more difficult than the standard game and can be pretty frustrating as a result. Mostly because you are weaker than the main game hero. The final boss fight is some real premium horse poo poo for difficulty. Story is slightly more interesting but still rather scant. Not very long, either.

If it's been a while since you played you'll get the value in hours out of $12 but I mainlined the story and the two DLCs and by the end of it I never wanted to play Shadow of Mordor again.

rantAK posted:

Does buying ps plus from the store count for the spend 100$ deal? I remember hearing that in the previous deals it worked.
What matters is that you spend "$100 or more using the PSN Wallet". If you have nothing in your wallet, put in your CC details, then purchase a $50 worth of PS+ subscription bump (which IIRC is always its own transaction) and then $50 worth of games (or movies, or TV shows, etc.), it'll count at least $100 going through the Wallet system and therefore trigger the $15 credit. I did it myself last time around.

Hard to say if $49.99 vs. $50 for the PS+ sub specifically will matter, they've been good for it in the past, but just try to get $50.01 for the non PS+ sub purchases if you don't want to worry about it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Interesting month for PS+. I got Gat Out of Hell in the last Christmas sale and it's really a nice pick. Not too long, not too short, quite a bit of fun.

Bound in Blood might make me fire up my PS3 again for the first time in a while, if it's even 75% the game that Gunslinger was.

As far as the sale goes, actually kind of relieved there's nothing really pulling my strings besides DOOM. Still, the $15 credit code should be coming before it's over, might pull the trigger as I like few things better than a really fun single player FPS.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

In Training posted:

Overpowered hardware unexpectedly breaking games is cool, like when they first put RE4 on steam and all the button mashing QTEs were impossible because they tied completion to some input/second threshold and when the framerate is 60fps the required inputs became faster than human beings could actually do.
The issue has been around for some 30 years. Computers used to come standard with "turbo" buttons, it was literally that prevalent.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ExCruceLeo posted:

Anyone gotten their $15 credit yet? Sometimes they send me a code that goes to spam and sometime it gets auto added. Just want to make sure I don't miss it.
The T&C says on or before July 5, 2016. You receive it via console notification too.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

jabro posted:

Re-PLAY Sale is live. It should be called Indie Previous PS+ Games Sale.
Right?

I guess the idea is to re-discount titles that have been in PLAY promotions before. Those multi-pre-order-discount promotions only ever feature indies, which are some of the most likely to show up on PS+.

Still, if you haven't gotten Journey yet, now's your time.

PLAY 2016 could feasibly have 100 Foot Robot Golf, right? Or Cosmic Star Heroine? I think maybe Ronin could line up with it too.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

axleblaze posted:

The August PS+ are
Tricky Towers, PS4
Rebel Galaxy, PS4
Yakuza 5, PS3
Retro/Grade, PS3
Patapon 3, PS Vita
Ultratron, PS Vita, PS3, PS4
Cautiously optimistic about Rebel Galaxy, based on the Steam reviews.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

Anyone played Divinity Original Sin on PS4? Wondering how well the controls hold up and if this is more of a mouse and keyboard RPG, or a sink-into-the-couch RPG I can enjoy with PS4 controller.
I've only played about an hour or two into it but I found the controls are just fine.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I should have mentioned that Yakuza 5 is a great get, although I still have yet to get further than an hour into Yakuza 4. An unfortunate victim of my migration to PS4.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

Is there a consensus on Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2? I thought I read it wasn't upscaled and wasn't remastered and didn't include DLC. Is it worth the money for someone who liked the originals quite a bit? Will it get a disc release so we can get it from Besy Buy GCU?

Here's what RPS said about MUA 1+2, for PC at least:

quote:

Player reviews are overwhelmingly negative, complaining about bad sound quality, bugged controller support where buttons don’t do what they say (with no rebinding options), a variety of other bugs and glitches, the first game not including any of its DLC...

Cast your eyes over Steam player reviews for MUA and MUA2 and you’ll see a lot of sorry tales. This isn’t another case of folks being upset because an options menu doesn’t have 300 toggles and sliders, the games are just buggy. Given how much they cost, that’s not on.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

:siren:http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/08/31/playstation-plus-free-games-for-september-2016/:siren:

quote:

Full Lineup
Lords of the Fallen, PS4
Journey, PS4, PS3
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, PS3
Datura, PS3
Badland, PS Vita, PS4, PS3
Amnesia: Memories, PS Vita

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

Guess what two games this guy just bought a few weeks ago! :q:
On the plus side, more people to play Journey with?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Holy moly, that's quite a deal on AC: Syndicate.

I just started playing it this week, enjoying it quite a bit, too. That's what I get for buying sale games before actually having the time to play them. At least I've since put an end to that habit.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Thinking I might pick up Day of the Tentacle and/or either of the Shantaes. Do any of those have any problems running on PS4?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Dewgy posted:

DoTT runs beautifully. Also, if you somehow don't have Grim Fandango yet, it's also awesome on PS4.
I got GF from PS+ but I'd also played that back in the day. DotT is the one LucasArts game I've managed to have completely missed, despite being a huge fan of literally every other point + click adventure they've done.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

univbee posted:

Oh wow you're in for a treat. Although it's somewhat linear in that there's only a single ending and only one solution to each puzzle, it's one of the best thought-out LucasArts adventure games with how the time periods work and influence the future. And if you missed Maniac Mansion 1, it comes with that too, and that game is kind of insane in terms of its attention to detail and variability, especially for an 80's game that was LucasArts' first stab at adventure games at all.
Nice to know re: MM1, I played that on NES way back when but obviously that wasn't the ideal platform for it.

I may end up holding off as a 60% off sale now means at least a 60% off sale later when my backlog is lower but I had been meaning to ask re: DotT for some time now.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Negative, abort. Old Blood is so so bad in comparison. Don't bother. Trust me.
To be clear, Old Blood is only bad in comparison IF you are looking for something narratively driven and with quieter/puzzle moments. It's got a stock minimalist FPS plot, and no "puzzles", but it is still:

- single-player, and mechanically simple
- NOT open world or bloated
- avoiding the "not really a game" interactive movie idea as things like Quantic Dream/Telltale/Until Dawn
- something that does environmental storytelling well and as such is very immersive
- very "well-paced"
- exciting because you're always wondering what's next around the corner

Since you already have it, BOAT SHOWBOAT, I say go for it, knowing that it's not just a pure rehash of New Order but something boiled-down and good on its own merits, albeit a more difficult game overall than its predecessor.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I used to think I'd play The Order 1886, because at least it's pretty. Then I played AC: Unity, which can also be said to be "at least pretty". I'm probably now never going to play The Order unless it came up free on PS+.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Kirios posted:

Honestly the 2016 version of Assassin's Creed: Unity, fully patched up, is actually a pretty great game. It's just a shame it was so completely broken at launch.

I'm jealous people get to play the 2016 instead of 2014 version now. Jerks. (Never buy day 1, always wait for patches)
That's the one I just finished playing 2 weeks ago. It's a very good looking game with a good setting/architecture, but as a game it's in the bottom 3 for the series. Maybe even the bottom two.

My message was: don't play games if all anyone can say about them is they look great. At least The Order 1886 maybe has its brief length going for it.

I'll definitely throw behind "don't play day 1, wait for patches" though. I am glad I waited, all things considered, but Unity has some pretty unique misfires that aren't graphical glitches.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Haven't played Rogue or Liberation, but my ranking is probably Black Flag > Syndicate > Brotherhood > AC2 > Revelations > Unity > AC3 > AC1. Black Flag/Syndicate are arguable against each other, as are Unity/AC3 and probably AC1 also. I'm going to guess Rogue is better than Rev but arguable with AC2. No idea with Liberation frankly.

Unity introduced IAP premium currency, a companion app and website that were both so bad they eventually got patched out, a boring plot and subpar characters, and accordingly a thoroughly wasted setting. Launch state was so bad they gave the DLC away for free. It was very, very bad and a real step back from the progress made in Black Flag.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Kna-

October:

Resident Evil, PS4
Transformers: Devastation, PS4
Mad Riders, PS3
From Dust, PS3
Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~, PS Vita
Actual Sunlight, PS Vita

Interesting if true.

e: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/28/playstation-plus-free-games-for-october-2016/

Will deffo replay RE1. Yeah. Hell yeah.

Also, glad I held off on Transformers until now.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 28, 2016

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

glam rock hamhock posted:

I was thinking more it would be like GTAV, except with 7 characters instead of 3.
Given the original Seven Samurai was originally six, I think they could certainly play with the numbers formula on that. Maybe 4 or 5 instead.

But great idea I now can't stop thinking about.

I want Red Dead Trevor real bad now.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I don't think I could handle Trevor in the loving Wild West
You already have?

John Marston might have been the second most Trevory Trevor in a Rockstar game. He's just quieter in his old age, his backstory suggests he was full Trevor as a youth.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Really hoping for a flash sale tomorrow. I have about $38 left before I hit the mark for that spend $100 get $15 promo that ends on Tuesday.

e: Did they ever fix up Firewatch for PS4?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

glam rock hamhock posted:

They already had one this month so it seems unlikely

Also, I don't remember what the issues with Firewatch were, but when I play through it a couple a months ago, I had no problems.
Well, if they don't I'll probably just pick up Firewatch and Salt & Sanctuary, then.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

So instead of getting Salt & Sanctuary to round out my spend $100, I took a chance and got Steamworld Heist instead. It's been doing me pretty right for $20, for what it is. The reviews seem to be partly based on expectations from the dev cycle which I can't really comment on.

What I can say is another common complaint is that penalties for dying are too harsh, which I'd say is pretty much BS. I'm liking the risk/reward inherent in the ability to adjust difficulty before every fight, and even if I lose the "currency" loss is pretty minimal even in the mid-high difficulty range.

I did only realize after buying it and Firewatch that the spend $100 window technically ends the night of Nov. 1, so for anyone shooting for that, any sale starting tomorrow should be game for it as long as you're quick.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Shnag posted:

I also thought Alien Isolation was great, having a pair of headphones is a must when playing it.

Speaking of scary games, Until Dawn is on sale again, is it any good? I got the whistleblower dlc last week, I was hoping I could find something else that is scary to play from this sale.
Until Dawn, is good. It's not super horrifying but it's just a real fun execution of "controllable horror movie". Decently well acted too. Only if you hate QTEs in the vein of David Cage would I say to stay away.

I bought it at twice the price it's at now, FWIW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Are any of this months + PS4 games local multiplayer,
?
They don't think Deadly Tower of Monsters be like it is but it do.

(Nope.)

• Locked thread