Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I went back about six pages and didn't see anything, so is there any word on what February's PS+ free games are going to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

homeless snail posted:

Don't blame the game for your own inadequacies. If you gently caress up don't reset, just deal with the consequences.

I had a lot more fun playing Dishonored after I gave up trying to be super stealthy.

I beat the first two mission things and thought they were alright. There is something missing from the game, but it's hard to tell exactly what. Like they just needed one more piece to make the whole puzzle click together.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Helldivers is only multiplayer or does it have a single player mode?

Kind of jazzed for Ultimax, never got around to buying that one.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I still have my original PSX BoF 3 disc. :smug:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Harlock posted:

After 20 years or whatever I just finished Suikoden this week. Feels good to finally finish these games.

The very first Suikoden?

Eh, 2 is better.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Suikoden 2 established a perfect formula for the series, but Suikoden 3 clearly wanted to experiment a lot more and did a bunch of new and different things. It didn't work out too smoothly, and alienated a lot of its regular audience. It was big but bloated and nothing felt quite as rich and polished as Suikoden 2.

They made further attempts to experiment with Suikoden 4, but had an even smaller budget and less to work with there and the result was...underwhelming.

Suikoden 5 is exactly what the series' third entry should have been--a bigger, slightly flashier Suikoden 2 with a few new additions to the battle system or something like that. The castle-building, character recruitment and styles were all reminiscent of that game, and it was the best at capturing that great atmosphere that the old games had.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Geop posted:

Honestly gravity kick never got old to me. Thought I was cheesing combat but just zipping all over the place was neat and pretty and all that good stuff :downs:

It has, in my opinion, the funnest mode of transportation in any video game.

It's not flying.

It's falling

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I will vote Broforce and I will not be persuaded otherwise.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Galak Z is pretty fun so far. The character models are...um...weird looking. But I dig that I can see my guy's face while I fly around and it does stuff when I do stuff, it's immersive.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

They are right to do so.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

mycot posted:

I just replaced the default PS4 theme with the Transistor one and between that and the Potemkin system voice for Guilty Gear I feel slick as hell.

Transistor is good all around, good times.

Go buy Transistor guys.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pablo Gigante posted:

The movie is an adaptation of the first game too

The game! Based on the movie! Based on the game!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
To steer this thread away from anime cleavage, what's the skinny on Republique? Stealth-based games can be very hit or miss, but I kinda like the title and they name-drop MGS4 devs in the write up for it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Grey posted:

A pretty good explanation on why we've seen a downgrade in PS+ free games:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/03/talking_point_whats_gone_wrong_with_playstation_plus

Huh, that's interesting. I suppose that means they're either gonna start recycling previous giveaways or else the free game thing will eventually dry up or get restricted solely to playstation classics.

Best case scenario, they take PSNow and just insert that into the PS+ benefits.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I only renewed my PS+ so I could play Dark Souls 3 'cause I knew I was gonna want to play that poo poo online. So long as titles keep urging me online, I have no choice but to pay for the service. Them's the breaks. But I'd not be nearly as keen to renew my Plus subscription as I would have been this time last year.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ha, I already got I am Alive when they put it up accidentally last month.

ZombiU I actually own for the Wii U, but never beat it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I liked all of the Infamous Games actually

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The first Infamous was a bit too heavy on cover-shootery elements, but managed to get all the super powers right. Infamous 2 perfected the systems in 1 and threw on a few bonus powers for fun. Infamous: SS introduced a new set of powers, some of which resembled the old move set and some being very different. People hate on SS for some reason, but I think it's quite a servicable reboot to the franchise. I liked the villain a lot too, she was quite detestable and her powers were cool. The elemental thing was clever; how many games or comics have a super hero with "neon" powers? To say nothing of the other powers you get even later.

People don't like Delsin, which is...yeah, I dunno. I thought he was fine? I found myself kind of warming up to him and his brother by the end of the game. I liked most of the characters, I felt they actually put some effort into introducing them with a proper amount of pacing. It helps that you have to interact with most of the main cast in the context of gameplay as well.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Woah woah woah, there's a friggin' Tron game on sale right now. Tron Runner. This looks cool. Is it any good or what? Also whats' the skinny on that pixel gore game, Not a Hero? How did I go this long and not hear that a Tron game had come out?

EDIT: Holy poo poo the PSN has a treasure trove I've somehow missed. There's a bunch of cool new games in here. Chronicles of Teddy looks great, crappy name aside. Enter the Gungeon looks insane too. Didn't know The Banner Saga was on consoles now too, never tried that one.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 3, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well, Chronicles of Teddy is proving frustrating, all told. The game is visually astounding and it plays a lot like Zelda 2; you can bounce on enemies and you automatically block with your shield when you stand still. Your sword reach is very short though, you really have to get right on top of a guy to actually hit him. This is fine, but then you have enemies who also have shields AND you have two hit boxes, so ducking and attacking is a thing and you gotta deal with quite a lot of threats to your person at any given time. The hit boxes are such that if you do a charging attack, the enemy can still hurt you for a while as they go through their death animations, so you can walk into an already dead enemy and take damage.

Moreso than anything, the game doesn't like telling me where to go or what to do. Occassionally prompts will appear that help; I didn't realize I had to Press Up to active the world selection...thingy...because I didn't even realize that that was how the game worked.

I made it all the way to the first dungeon; there's a gimmick to this game where you have a little keyboard that you can use to communicate with in-game elements. This basically boils down to adventure game style "learn the password, say the password" sorts of things, except that the thing is missing all the keys, so you can't say some phrases until you find the key in a chest someplace in the world.

The map is...not great, really. It would be fine if there was a key explaining what some of the symbols meant. The game feels clunky to move around in, I can't really decide if I prefer using the stick or the d-pad for movement but both feel stiff. Also it doesn't really tell you a room's dimensions, so a big Metroid-style vertical room could have multiple pathways leading to the sides and also doors to go through and this information is not clearly communicated at all.

I got stuck when I encountered a unique chest or something that has a rune on it I don't have and no other way of interacting with it, at the end of a dead end in the first dungeon (in the Zelda sense, there's a whole preceeding area). This is right after a narrow corridor with an enemy with a shield who won't take any damage and has a longer reach than me and is a huge pain in the loving rear end and I can't jump over him and I can't actually hurt him so I had to literally plink at his shield for about five minutes to push him back so I could jump over him and I ended up taking a ton of damage in the process.

So, about an hour and some change in, not great first impressions. The game looks so loving nice with its sprite art that I almost want to say that none of the above matters. The animations in particular are really great, the little girl you play as has some very emotive animations and little details that make her memorable. There's tons of great art in the backgrounds and the first really big sprite I've found is cool; all the NPCs have unique little sprites as well.

However, this game just keeps stonewalling me, either in the first part where I had to figure out which tiny path in a big vertical hub I hadn't taken, or with these weird chest and no rune and no way back or forth. So, I'd say, skip Chronicles of Teddy or at the very least, get it on a 50% sale. I've been waiting for a moment for the game to get good and once it finally started to become fun, it immediately hit me with a bullshit enemy in a narrow tunnel.

A poor investment of $15.

EDIT: Oh, it does have a very gruesome game over sequence that's quite grim for such a colorful game. It's...I dunno, it's a lot more scarring than you'd expect.

EDIT EDIT: Looked up the solution on a community Steam guide, I have no loving idea how you're expected to know what correct sequence to input to open that chest. The gently caress.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 3, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Last addendum to my Chronicles of Teddy report:

Got to and defeated the first boss. Actually thought that this was the best part of the game so far; I quickly figured out the right places to stand to avoid her main abilities and I was actually able to clear the boss on my first attempt. The fight felt fluid and natural.

The next area is slightly more straightforward than the first, but I wasted nearly all my life attempting to navigate a Mario-style vine platforming challenge only to discover it led me to a one-way passage and I was on the wrong side of it. gently caress this game.

Maybe somebody else will get some value out of it. It is still so very very pretty.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really wish I was a katamari.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

Banner saga is like taking ambien

Chron of Teddy sucks. What's ambien like?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

Its sleep medication

Ah, I'll pass. Man, my excitement has faded into thick disappointment.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

axleblaze posted:

To go against what 8-Bit Scholar has been saying, I'm finding Chronicles of Teddy to be quite fun. His post kind of made me nervous but I'm honestly not finding the game to though (I'm to where he last said he was and have died twice). I dunno. Some of the things he said are accurate but but I also feel there's more to it. I mean, yeah your reach is short but the game kind of knows this and there are always ways to defeat enemies if you can figure them out. Like the shield enemies are tough but they'll also usually expose their weak points if you know when to hit them. Also the solution to that chest puzzle was just you had to play back the notes it was playing. Anytime you hear the notes that sound like your music thing, and you don't see a character saying stuff to you, that's a sign to repeat what you hear.

I dunno, I'm sorry 8-Bit Scholar isn't having a good time, but I think it's a lovely little Metroidvania Zelda II thing.

Yeah, the game plays sounds in the background but either I've absolutely no ear for music or it didn't matter any of the four places I've tried to repeat those notes. It's never done anything anywhere else in the game, and I even attempted to play the notes that I thought I was hearing, but it was no dice. In fact, when I started trying to match background sounds in any other area with my music box, I got the feeling that the background was just repeating whatever I played. Nothing suggests at all that the sound is anything but an artistic detail.

The combat I may have been slightly hard on, but those green kappa knights you run into are heads and tails harder than any other area in that zone or the next, really. They're a huge burst in difficulty and I dunno, I never played Zelda 2 so maybe I missed the obvious cues.I managed to get decent enough at killing them, but they're wicked hard.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yeah, Teddy requires you to double-tap to dash and dash jumping is really important to the platforming so it kind of annoyed the gently caress out of me. Just let me hold down a button gently caress your double tap. It feels finicky if done on a stick and it is uncomfortable to do on a d-pad.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

axleblaze posted:

You can hold R1 or L1 to dash

:stare:

well son of a bitch. Alright, that alone is enough to make me give this game another shot. Maybe it caught me at a bad time.

EDIT: Oh man this is so much better. I feel much more confident jumping now, the whole game's platforming just improved like, tenfold.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 4, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Brightman posted:

Went to check the blog to see if there was a release post up and caught this instead: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/04/19/pyre-on-ps4-revealed-from-the-creators-of-transistor-and-bastion/

Pyre is a new game by the Bastion and Transistor devs, due out next year, but given their track record and such it'll probably be good with a great soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax8MeXcMlNo

This looks gorgeous; not sure about the actual gameplay on display. 3 vs 3 arena-style matches with cover? I dunno...

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So, I see that Bound is now out and I recall seeing footage of it and it looks gorgeous and neat, but it also doesn't show exactly what the gameplay is.

I was pleasantly surprised by Furi but that was free. Is Bound worth the money or is it just all looks and no action?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Is this Life is Strange? Y'know, I really ought to check that one ought. Isn't it a time manipulating adventure game? Does it poo poo itself at the end or is it worth picking up?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm exploring the PSN for some new indie titles to check out, and while picking up Abzu on sale, I've seen a few titles I don't recognize and that intrigue me. What's the goonpinion on the following:

The Bunker -- An FMV game?

Claire: Extended Edition -- I rather liked Lone Survivor, and this seems very similar, but the mixed reviews leave me cautious.

Four Sided Fantasy -- This looks like a pretty darn neat platformer with some heavy Braid vibes. I'm almost tempted to just grab it for its low price and take the risk, but is there any reason I should steer clear?

Hue: Pricier than Four-Side, but y'know it looks pretty as heck. Color-focused platforming sounds very novel.

Moon Hunters: I was eyeballing Hyperlight Drifter and I saw this and while I love the art, I'm not sure if this is some rougelike thing or if there's more here.

Heart and Slash: I get a big Megaman Legends vibe from its pixel graphics. Anyone played it to see if it runs smoothly?

Jotun Valhalla Edition: I love Vikings a hell of a lot, and the art style reminds me a lot of Banner Saga.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Until Dawn at least remembers that it is a game at its core, and has adventure-game mechanics and a system in place to give you a chance to figure out the twisting mysteries. It may seem almost superficial, but the little totems that give you varied glimpses of the future that you can find if you explore are, in my opinion, essential to the game experience. Instead of blindsiding you with choices that would feel cheap if not given warning (I think one particularly illuminating example would come to anyone's mind) the game gives you a chance to figure out what you can or should do a little bit--or sometimes a long time--before it happens. Plus, this rewards you for actually exploring the landscape, rummaging about levels and exploring. It places the "adventure game" aspect back into it without requiring you to juggle inventory or solve really obtuse puzzles.

Heavy Rain's choices are usually so stupidly obvious that this isn't really a problem, but they stop being as meaningful as a result, and it really doesn't give the player any agency at all. Until Dawn will happily let you screw over the whole cast in varied ways, and this maintains the tension--because the onus of survival, thanks to the totem visions, is placed on your head. Once you have that responsibility, you then have tension, stress, and fear. It's actually so clever that I've almost convinced myself to go buy Until Dawn right now to replay it.

I won't, though, because I already got the best ending IMO when I rented it so nyah.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pingiivi posted:

Now I'm kinda glad I didn't buy Transformers Devastation. It looks and sounds nice but goddamn the gameplay feels terrible.

Transformers Devastation has some of the best feeling gameplay in any action game ever released. It's possibly Platinum's best combat system--maybe slightly behind Bayonetta 2 and W101, but ahead of Revengeance.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm eyeballing Hyper Light Drifter and Steamworld Heist and I'm not really sure which one I should pick.

Which one should I pick

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Slain: Back from Hell is not what I'd call an incredible game, but it's really engaging and it features absolutely gorgeous sprite art. It feels akin to some classic Genesis-era games, but it's hard to pinpoint what exactly. I'm sorta reminded of the Bram Stoker's Dracula game, but with far better art.

Either way, it looks incredible. You kind of have to get a feel for how it wants you to move and control and I don't like the guard is a face button while dodge is a shoulder button, I'm constantly guarding when I want to dodge or--worse yet--dodging when I want to guard. That aside, great grisly fun, not a bad Halloween title.

EDIT: Games like this and Hyperlight Drifter are really great examples of just how much depth one really can get out of sprites. Hyperlight is probably one of the prettiest pixel games made, and the fact that it was a one-man show is all the better.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 16, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Gimmie that sexy World of Final Fantasy demo Square enix

When they finally do release it report back as to what the actual GAME is like.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I checked out World of Final Fantasy and I gotta say, it seems like an interesting package. For a dumb fanservice game, it sure has a lot of effort put into it. The whole plot is kinda Kingdom Heartsy but it almost feels like a parody. The combat system doesn't really scratch much of what you can ultimately do with it, but the stacking system appears to at least factor heavily into strategy, and it seems like a weird but novel approach to a monster-raising game.

Having enemy recruitment be a puzzle you solve seems like a cool concept, but I only ever triggered an enemy's imprison criteria once and it was in a battle where I didn't get more than one attempt to capture the thing, so I didn't recruit any monsters beyond the initial one.

I dunno, I might actually shell out for this one, though not likely at launch. I'd want to see maybe a few examples of some more complicated things you can do with the stacks, so far it seems like there's not TOO much reason not to just go at max stacks all the time. Presumably enemies will start having more dramatic balance-damaging abilities, but I dunno. Just something to let me know what I might be capable of in actual gameplay terms.

The spectacle of super deformed Final Fantasy characters doing ludicrous action moves works on some strange level of humor.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lemon-Lime posted:

:same:

City and onwards' open world doesn't add anything to the game and mucks up the pacing with a bunch of samey travelling between mission locations (granted the travelling is fun initially, but it gets boring fast).

Arkham City does at least deliver the "Batman" experience with its open world--swooping off rooftops, gliding into dudes, zipping down to snatch people up and picking them off one by one, all that. I can absolutely see why they tried to make the game they did and I think overall it's a big success.

Arkham Knight isn't a bad game by any means, I think they managed to make the Batmobile feel really fun to use and they utilize it in an absurdly varied amount of ways. It's just a tool box that's sort of overflowing, and most of the tools you've used before. It has some great new DC characters who show up, though.

I mean, none of them are bad games, but Arkham City basically nailed it on the backswing and Origins and Knight are more expansion packs than full games of their own. I think all of them have stretched what technology currently can do in terms of making a Batman open world, and I would really like to see a return to a closed-in, detailed environment like Asylum again. Maybe a different vibe--I'd love for a game to take Batman OUT of Gotham, maybe do the Damian Wayne origin story where Batman has to go fight assassins in some magic version of China.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hyperlight Drifter is extremely good. It manages to take the exploration of classic Zelda, marry in some very stylish Dark Souls-esque combat, and do it all with a coat of paint that's going to be real tough to top. The game looks and sounds great and I really dig the story and how it is told.

I have no idea if there are multiple endings, I know I didn't get 100 percent of the collectibles but instead I just went into the last challenge once it opened. This game captures that Dark Souls and more specifically Metroid-esque style of exploration where you poke at something that looks suspicious and you end up uncovering an entire area's worth of items and enemies as a reward. The game feels like it has limitless depths to plumb but even though I didn't go agonizingly far to scour for secrets, I feel like I got a good sense for the game's world and the events behind it and I certainly got my money's worth of content.

My interpretation of the situation is that the game obviously takes place long, long after a massive war that destroyed a highly advanced society. None of the creatures we encounter were likely responsible for that, but we do know at least that it was the dogs with the crystal shooting guns who were one "side" of the conflict. The Drifter himself is a biological weapon, like all the enemies you meet, likely born from the experiments that produce the blue-skinned guys in the tubes in the southern desert who now roam the world. We appear to be a kind of emergency protocol designed to prevent that ancient core from going supernova and blowing up. I have no idea what is meant to trigger it, since it hasn't detonated YET, but given the ending has the big light show in the sky dissolve and it seems like at last the surviving tribes are freed from the ominous shackles of the past. The Drifter is now rendered mortal and/or allowed to die upon completing his task.

As for who the second Drifter was, he could very well be a predecessor or alternate model to the main guy, another man without a past fighting for an uncertain future. Or he could be a local villager who just took up the journey himself, but was not capable of seeing it to the end. It's not too important, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ramagamma posted:

Davies Hayter made Snake the character he was

Yeah, MGS1 has a Snake who is tough and hardened, but he has this sense of hope to him still, and a lot of heart in his performance. I think people really forget at times just how outstanding the vocal performances are in the original MGS, but Snake's voice has always been Hayter's for me. There's a lot of reasons I haven't picked up MGSV yet, MGS4 being such a headache being top among them, but next to that I think it's knowing I wouldn't hear Hayter reading the lines. He just lent so much to the character.

• Locked thread