Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

What the gently caress happened with Nightly? Did they hire all new writers, split off from Daily while taking all the lovely ones, what? Half of Larry's jokes he now looks around to the audience wondering why nobody's laughing and I can't remember the last sketch they did that was remotely funny. Last night's crossing guard and Rodman were physically painful to watch. Jesus.

Luckily Daily is picking up steam for me.

Astro Nut posted:

Jesus Christ how is someone's first reaction to the President of one of the world's most powerful nations shedding tears over his country's apparent inability to not kill their own children... to ask why he didn't do the same thing with terrorist attacks? Like, I get maybe the dissonance can feel weird, but to be that loving indignant about it?

That wasn't even the worst thing to me, it was this happening in Sandy Hook

quote:

First grader Jesse Lewis shouted at his classmates to run for safety, which several of them did. Lewis was looking at Lanza when Lanza fatally shot him.

Our six year olds have been conditioned by now to recognize what the gently caress is going down before anything is even coming close to being done about it. Bananas.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Echo Chamber posted:

Nightly doubled down on Jordan Carlos' Rodman impression last night. Ugh.

Doubled down on both of it, both shows went from Grace Parra doing an even less funny bit to Rodman bits. I'm officially done with Nightly, it's unwatchable.

Only thing that'd convince me to give it one last shot would be if they just made the whole thing a panel and never, ever invited Ricky Velez to be a member of it. Every panel I can remember he's just tried to talk the most and the loudest while not adding anything to it or even being funny. Mike Yard and Rory Albanese are good panelists, they can make funny and sometimes insightful comments and keep it flowing.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Tom Hardy deserves that supporting role for being a completely irredeemable piece of poo poo. Most movies would make the antagonist have a positive trait or something, Hardy's character would've literally been curb stomping puppies if he'd come across any.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Roy should've been given the main chair. There, I said what we were all thinking.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Seeing Jessica doing Desi's what the facts makes me realize just how unfunny I find Jessica. It feels like she has no sense of delivery, just talk real fast and occasionally yell something at the end.

I'm also ashamed that the intro remix is starting to grow on me.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

The first bit he did with virtual reality I thought the dad bit was hilarious, every time since it's just gone downhill. I still like him a lot though, pizza rat was quick and funny.

I'm getting real annoyed with Trevor though. Comedic wise his voice imitations are terrible and it's like his most go to move. The worst thing though is that he's a terrible interviewer. The guy last night was trying to set up easy jokes that the crowd were into and Trevor just couldn't stop tripping him up over and over. He's done the same thing in a lot of interviews with comedians too, not just a one time thing.

But the thing that I'm annoyed by the most is that, to me, he's proven completely unqualified to be interviewing non-comedians. Others in the thread have already argued against the "but Jon needed more time too" logic but I'll go a step more and say he shouldn't have taken the job if he couldn't do better than whatever the hell it is he's doing with the 'real' guests and letting them regurgitate whatever they want with no rebuttal or insight in return.

Like somebody else said above I'm basically only watching now for the correspondents and maybe because I have a crush on Desi.

Really feels to me like an era coming to an end because I'm never giving Nightly another chance. At least we'll still have Oliver on HBO.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 27, 2016

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Pillow Hat posted:

Oh, shut the gently caress up.

Somebody needs to counteract your obsessive spamming the thread of Leave Trevor Alone hyperbole.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Gyges posted:

How will we make it through this torture after so many years of Jon's impeccable imitations.

Jon knew his impressions were complete poo poo, Trevor thinks his are amazing judging by him laughing at himself after each one.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

M_Gargantua posted:

And appreciating the non famous guests who are just cool members of society.

Uh, I hope you're kidding. She was directly involved in the housing fraud by Wall Street for years while claiming she totes didn't know what was going on despite her boss being one of the few who actually got convicted. She then was a superbly lovely failed politician who managed to get curb stomped in an election she tried to get her Wall Street backers to buy for her by outspending the opponent almost 3 to 1, only to lose the election by a 62 point margin.

Even if you didn't know any of this you still just saw the same interview I did where she literally said girls choosing to become computer programmers "I really believe is the most important domestic issue of our nation's time". And Trevor largely let her get away with such an absolute bullshit statement.

E: Oh I can excuse other people not knowing this because

quote:

In January 2013, Saujani's Wikipedia page was heavily edited to remove traces of Saujani working for Wall Street firms such as hedge funds. Her campaign admitted to this,[33] arguing they did it because they disagreed with the stated facts.[34]

:laffo:

Botnit fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 3, 2016

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah I knew nothing except for the "Woman supporting teaching girls to code". All rhetoric past that was expected. "Girls programming" is something I can support without knowing that she's actually an awful person.

Yeah I didn't mean be half as snide as I was, I just expected to come to the thread to see other people making GBS threads on her because of her history and the ridiculous hyperbole she was spittin' on the show. In NYC she's pretty well known as a huge dirt bag for poo poo like I already posted and things like this

quote:

Saujani's campaign mailed a flyer to voters implicating Maloney as one of eight House members investigated for taking donations from special interests,[28] which was not the case.

Three things to note about this: #1 she chose to mail those out less than 2 days after Maloney's husband died, #2 more importantly her (Saujani's) campaign was literally being funded by Wall Street and Zuckerbergs. #3 Maloney was so ethical about donations that she seriously shut down her donations the day they found out her husband died because she was worried people might feel obligated to donate to her. Saujani is human garbage in comparison.

She's so clearly trying to shroud herself in some easy to pander cause she can try rallying herself a new campaign with and it's sickening.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 3, 2016

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

raditts posted:

Some of you guys are trying to hate this show so hard, I can't figure out why you still bother watching.

I think that's somewhat true but I've also been trying to keep an open mind about it and I can't anymore. To me Trevor is the worst thing about the show and since he's the face of it there's not much that can be done about it. I don't find him funny, at all, yet he's constantly laughing at his own jokes, I don't think he's intelligent when it comes to the topics he's bringing up either so he's either an extreme pushover in interviews or he goes full on starfucker mentality and lets them say whatever they want while he adores them.

I tried to give him a chance, I went back to find his pre-TDS stuff thinking maybe that would help and it just made it worse. He's a horrible frat bro-esque comedian. I simply cannot understand how he was ever offered the show. It's ridiculous.

Luckily most of the correspondents are killing it around him though so the boat is kinda sorta staying afloat. I really wish Roy Wood Jr was hosting.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

VagueRant posted:

Took me ages to find out where I could catch the Sam Bee thing and went in expecting it to not live up to all this praise, but ugh, it was EXACTLY what I've been missing from The Daily Show. All that venom is just so delicious to me!

Edit: it's like this

*clip of Hilary Clinton being all "oh it's hard to imagine me, a down-to-earth normal person, running for president like this"*
Trevor Noah's likely response: [near monotone] Oh. Really? Because you are Hilary Clinton and you have actually been running for president for years. [grin] Hee, hee, heeee!
Sam Bee's response: Oh, gently caress off!

Gotta agree, I loving hate Sam Bee and Jason Jones. Like extremely hate them. If one day they're found murdered then you can go ahead and notify FBI online to begin checking my alibi even. I cannot remember any bit they did in the last 5 years of TDS that I thought was even slightly funny. Yet I really liked this episode.

Steve Vader posted:

So Sam Bee is 10:30 on TBS before Conan, right? So I guess I have to go to the official website to see any of it, being cable-less. I wish TBS had a Roku app where I could watch these shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC18vz5hUUqxbGvym9ghtX_w

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Pillow Hat posted:

Please, tell us how you really feel. :allears:

I would rather read an entire page of nothing but Zoux posts than ever see another Jason Jones bit.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One thing that is a bit disappointing is how the guests used to be frequent heads of state and former and current presidents and a king, to someone with a youtube channel.

That's like the 10th most disappointing thing to me about TDS now. First would be how every show revolves around the same two segments, one GOP one and the other whatever daily racism outrage they can find. A loving local Denny's story? Seriously?

Second is tired of Jessica Williams angrily yelling poo poo at the camera. She's hardly ever funny and she doesn't inform you of a god drat thing so I can't find any reason for her still being on the show. Beyonce segment was revolting.

Roy Wood still owns. New Hampshire trip with old people was great and very old TDS-esque, back when they actually cared about doing something other than demonizing the other side and realized some people just value other poo poo more importantly than they do your own personal poo poo. It wasn't terribly funny but I had the same reaction Roy did, I was all "oh we're gonna make fun of these people so much" then "...wait. are these feelings I'm having?"

No Desi this week :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

rujasu posted:

I mean yes, he's lagging behind Oliver (and Bee seems to be outdoing him as well so far), but he is not Piers Morgan 2.0. Not even in the ballpark.

You're right, Piers Morgan was funny on occasion.

• Locked thread