Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
So I've played this game loads since the early versions and also TQ loads which has basically the same mechanics, so if anyone needs critique on builds or whatever, feel free to ask. There is nothing about this game I don't know. I've also done a few streams recently, mostly of Ultimate, while answering questions where relevant: http://www.twitch.tv/hashtagmash/profile You can go here to watch back the last couple of streams or read the text on the right for more basic pointers for GD.

Here's a good rule of thumb though: Soldier and Arcanist are the two strongest trees, so having at least one of them is not a bad idea.

Demo/Occultist are the only two trees without good defensive steroids, so you shouldn't combine those two trees.

Each of the other four classes have one must-have defensive skill if you have that mastery:
Soldier: Military Conditioning
Arcanist: Maiven's Sphere of Protection
Nightblade: Shadow Dance (passive buff off of Pneumatic Burst)
Shaman: Heart of the Wild (passive buff off of Mogdrogen's Pact)

For beginners, stacking two of these classes is a good way to ensure your character will be endgame viable.

How to build a character
1. Pick one skill that will do the majority of your damage. Almost every damage skill in the game can be used for this.
2. Pick one type of damage (physical/cold/acid/poison/bleed/pierce/etc) that you will be doing with that skill. Some skills only have one damage type, others use % weapon damage and can gain other types as a result, others again have multiple damage types built in. As a rule of thumb, you want to have only one damage type so you can scale properly. One exception is elemental damages (cold, fire, lightning, but not their damage over type versions frostburn/whatever/whatever) where a decent amount of gear caters to all three at once.
3. If your skill has a % weapon damage ratio on it, it will scale with flat damage bonuses from your gear and other skills and Devotion. In this case, you can stack flat bonuses to increase the base damage of the skill before multipliers. Otherwise your source of scaling is +% damage to that skill.
4. Offensive Ability is the best offensive stat in the game for 90% of all characters. You'll want some source of it. Arcanist and Soldier have strong buffs for it that you'll want to take and Nightblade gets a lot through their high cunning. If you're not one of those, look for bonuses in Devotion and gear with good OA.
5. There are many passive skills that "proc" off default attacks, mostly in Soldier, Shaman and Nightblade. Default attacks are: default weapon attack, Fire Strike (Demo), Cadence (Soldier), Savagery (Shaman), Troll Rage (Mistborn Talisman Relic) and the Shard of Beronath weapon component skill. If you run procs, that should be the key point of your build and you should generally have one of the special default attacks as well. Cadence is bad with procs unless you have points to max it out, for reasons.
6. Put enough points into Physique to wear the armor you need to wear and be decently tanky. Remember that you get a lot of physique from taking points in masteries. Noone needs more than 1000 physique total at max level unless you're playing on hardcore. If you're not a Soldier, 800 should be the upper limit. Put the rest into Spirit if you do magic damage or Cunning if you do non-magic damage. Cunning boosts your damage from Physical, Pierce, Bleeding and Internal Trauma. Spirit boosts everything else.
7. For Devotion: Early on, put points in whatever give immediate boosts, ideally aoe damage procs, you're going to respec anyway. Once you're at 30+ points collected: Pick one or two outer ring constellations that will be your primary goals. You can pick two if they share requirements to a degree. Plan the rest of your build around getting out to those. Some good early constellations include: Hawk, Compass. A good mid-level constellation that basically becomes mandatory to all builds on Ultimate is Targo the Builder (just the middle 2 points).

If anyone needs build advice, plan it out on grimcalc and drop a link and I'll tell you how to fix it :)

The Mash fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Eonwe posted:

I really like my Demolitionist but I don't think he is going to scale to the higher difficulties so I'm probably going to make a Soldier

You realize you can have two masteries, right? Demo/Soldier is a perfectly viable combination

BexGu posted:

Also does it seem more special monster appear in Veteran compared to normal difficultly?

Yes, that is one of the main reasons why you'd play on Veteran in the first place. Generally, Veteran is a remnant of every patch prior to B29, where Normal was the only difficulty available, and they had to give us some way to up the difficulty a bit to keep us interested. Now, you forget all about it existing in the first place as soon as you move into Elite and Ultimate.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Eonwe posted:

yes, I took Occultist not knowing better, I don't really like that choice

Yeah you've made it a little bit harder for yourself. It can probably still work though, you can use Curse of Frailty and it's modifier out of Occultist to buff your fire damage greatly.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Later on, Blood of Dreeg and its modifiers are probably decent 1-pointers for you and the massive damage reduction on Possession could be useful too

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

alarumklok posted:

I tried making a cold gunner using gambit from nightblade, which is kickin rad damage, but I then spend 3 seconds throwing tootsie rolls at the monsters. I haven't picked a second class yet: can I use the soldier default replacer with ranged weapons, or is there some other better option for filler?

You can, but Nightblade is the literal worst class to play as a ranged character, as two of the absolute best skills in the tree (Pneumatic Burst and its modifier Shadow Dance) are melee-only. Nightblade/Soldier is much better played as either a dual-wield attacker or a board and sword character. Don't use ranged weapons as a Nightblade. Some combination of Soldier/Demo/Arcanist/maybe Shaman would be much, much better.

E: If you really want to make a Nightblade gunner work, pick Arcanist 2nd, stack a bunch of elemental damage and eventually aim for the legendary rifle that has 100% pierce. For your autoattack replacer you can then use the Shard of Beronath weapon component which is probably better for such a build than any of the class-based auto attack replacers.

Roobanguy posted:

cool, thanks.

whats a good secondary class for a duel gunner? my primary class is demolitionist.

I'm assuming you're using Fire Strike, which is good for dual pistols. Decide if you want to focus on physical damage or fire damage. Both are viable. For physical, go Soldier. For fire, go Arcanist.

The Mash fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 5, 2016

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I blindly rolled a Soldier/Occultist this go round to see how many resist-reduction skills I could stack together. I have no idea if there's any gear that focuses on both physical and poison damage though so we'll have to see if that shakes out.

The build is absolutely viable but you MUST pick either Physical or Poison as your main source of damage, you're not going to be able to stack enough +%damage to both for it to be viable.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Garfu posted:

When I played a Saboteur (Demo/NB) I had still used Pneumatic burst by quick switching to a melee weapon, casting it, then switching back to my dual guns. Worked pretty well. Provided the movement speed buff so I could avoid a lot of poo poo and the attack speed buff still worked on the guns.

I got pretty used to doing that every 15 seconds.

I did this exact same thing on a character and I got beyond sick of it, so your milage may vary

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

An important note in that regard is that the third strike of Cadence, the one that actually does anything, cannot proc proc-skills. Which means that Cadence is a terrible one point wonder for anyone running Markovian/Zolhan or the Shaman or Nightblade proc skills.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Does this also apply to the Shaman lightning version of Cadence that is every attack? Savagery or whatever it's called?

Was thinking of doing a ForcequakexShaman proc build, but would have some extra points for those if needbe.

No, that's specific to Cadence because of its weird every-third-hit mechanic. Every other auto attack modifier stacks fully with proc skills.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Does anyone NOT use the classic targeting? The second I dragged my mouse off of a still-live enemy while holding the button and walked away I knew it wasn't for me. Does the default have any advantages?

I don't use classic targetting. If you kill quickly and attack quickly, it's a lot easier to just hold down the mouse for entire fights, as you work your way through mobs. Assuming you're not a spazz who accidentally moves the curser off a mob before it dies, of course. There's A LOT less clicking involved with classic targetting off. You just hold down the button for minutes at a time.

Night10194 posted:

WHAT.

Was this true in Titanquest. gently caress.

LOL

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

"Attack-until-dead" characters that focus on default attacks are extremely viable and come in four general forms:

-Dual Wield Blademaster (Soldier/NB) with the top row of passives in NB except the acid one. This has been the strongest character in most previous versions of the game and scales exceptionally well with good items. At the moment, legendary items are quite weak, making this build less OP, but the next patch should buff most of them. From Soldier you take Mil Con, Oleron and maybe field command/squad tactics. From NB all the DW skills + Pneumatic/Shadow Dance + Anatomy of Murder. You van focus on Physical or Pierce or mix them a bit. Devotions: Oleron and Unknown Soldier.
Base build: http://grimcalc.com/build/QYxHLj
Choose the remaining skills from: Dual Blades (if you focus on Pierce damage), Field Command, Squad Tactics, Decorated Soldier, Shadowstrike, Veil of Shadow+Nights Chill, Markovian's Advantage

-Sword and Board Blademaster with mostly defensives from NB. Very strong right now as shield builds in general are strong. Can run Cadence as its autoattack, or Troll/Beronath like the rest. Same skills from NB as above minus DW skills. You can stop at 32 pts NB with this whereas DW has to go 50 Soldier 50 Nightblade. Devotions: Probably Behemoth and Targos, maybe Tree of Life.
Base build: http://grimcalc.com/build/WJbGAw
Choose the remaining skills from: Oleron's Rage/Menhirs Bulwark (you MUST pick one of these and max it), the Cadence line, Forcewave, Blitz, Field Command, Squad Tactics, Decorated Soldier, Menhirs Will, War Cry+Break Morale,

-Spellbreaker DW (Arcanist/Nightblade). Focuses on dodge for primary defense through Shadow Dance and Maivens. Does Cold/elemental damage. Very passive-heavy with DW from NB and Iskandras+Maivens+the Spirit/OA one in Arcanist. Key strength: Very good itemization atm 50-75, some of the best for any build. Devotions: Whirlpool I think its called. Anything with elemental damage, dodge and OA.
Base build: http://grimcalc.com/build/irNKH1
Choose the remaining skills from: Conversion (1 pt), Merciless Repertoire, Dual Blades, Shadow Strike, Ring of Steel, Veil of Shadow, Nightfall

-2h Warder (Soldier/Shaman). Savagery+passive procs in both trees. Very high HP through double HP passives. Can get high OA+DA too. No great legendary 2hs atm but good green ones are fine. A bit sluggish until you get attack speed/total speed. Uses Savagery for default attack. Devotions: Olerons and Targos probably.
Base build: http://grimcalc.com/build/Dtym9w
Choose the remaining skills from: Tenacity of the Boar, Markovian's Advantage, Zolhan's Technique, Field Command, Squad Tactics, Decorated Soldier, Menhir's Will, Fighting Spirit (1 pt)

All four of these are viable on Ultimate. Stack attackspeed, OA and your primary damage. For defenses stack HP and resists, also dodge for NB/Arcanist.

2H uses Savagery as default attack. Sword and Board (use Mace/Axe, not sword) can use Cadence if maxed with modifiers. Otherwise all use Mistborn Talisman or Shard of Beronath as default attack.

The Mash fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 6, 2016

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Unless you're crafting a green or blue item with fixed stats, you're generally better off just doing vendor runs for items, particularly weapons. Check Luther Graves in A1 and reset the game until you get a good weapon. For physical damage classes, you generally want Officers or Tyrants as the prefix and Ferocity or Onslaught as the suffix. Any combination of those and you've got a very strong weapon.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You'll want Heart of the Wild and Shadow Dance both maxed for Ultimate too, if you haven't.

Are you focusing on physical/pierce or elemental damage? That build can do both to a degree.

If you're doing Physical/Pierce go for Oleron and Unknown Soldier plus the 2 middle points in Targo the Builder.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You're gonna have to put skill names on that description I think.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The Royal Scrub posted:

What are some good abilities to look at for 1h/shield? A tanky proc monster seems fun.

I'm tired of kiting everything as Arcanist/Shaman and I already dumped a shitload of points into Spirit so it feels like there's no turning back from casting. I could probably stick it out until I get something more fun than Sky Shards but I want to check out a melee build.

Consider going 2-handed instead. Your classes have no synergy with shields and lots with 2-handers. You can get tanky enough through Maivens Sphere and Heart of the Wild and that 50 mastery toggle skill in Shaman with damage absorption, and shield builds that don't have the Soldier tree are wasting SO much potential.

Here's an optimized level 85 build for an elemental damage 2-hand Druid:
http://grimcalc.com/build/cpmOS2

You could move points from Primal Bond to Stormcallers Pact at the end of Shaman if you needed the extra damage more than the survivability.

E: And your points in Spirit aren't wasted since your damage will primarily be elemental, even if you use a physical damage 2-hander, since much if it will be converted anyway.

The Mash fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 6, 2016

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Mover posted:

No wendigo totem? I'm taking a melee (primal strike instead of savagery) shaman through elite right now and even though it's the damage is vitality I've found that even just 4-8 points in wendigo + 1 in it's passive do more to keep me alive than pretty much anything else.

I have never used totems (Shaman is the newest class and was added in December '15, I've been playing since like October '14) and have no idea how useful they are, so I can't say.

Prism posted:

I like the looks of Fire Strike with a big gun with bombs for backup and AoE.

Doing something like that, should I look at Canister Bomb or Grenado for said AoE? And is it likely to work better with Soldier (for physical damage) or Arcanist (for fire damage)? Can a Demo/Arcanist still wear heavy-ish armour?

Canister Bomb does less damage but has a bigger area of effect and can stun. It does mostly Fire damage. Grenado has more damage but in a smaller area. It does mostly Physical damage.

Try both skills out for which one you prefer, then make the decision based on that and build around it. Yes, it's slightly harder to get enough Physique when you don't have Military Conditioning from Soldier, but you'll still be able to wear what you need to when you pump some points into Physique.

Also, "heavy armor" as a concept is unimportant. Armor is a very useless stat in GD. The difference between a medium chest armor and a heavy one is maybe 500 armor on high levels. That comes out to ~300 flat damage reduction. On ultimate, most mobs hit for 2k+ and many for 4k+. Spending 500 Physique to wear heavier armors for 10% damage reduction to physical melee attacks is a complete Waste.

Here's a list of defensive statistics based on their usefulness in making you not die. Obviously they're all good in theory, but this list is based on current damage formulas and the amount of the different stats actually available in game:

1. %Damage absorption. VERY rare, only available on a couple of skills.
2. Health
3. Dodge (*)
4. Resists (*)
5. Saying a little prayer before you go in
6. Flat damage absorption. From skills/devotion procs typically. Usually comes in too small amounts to be worthwhile.
7. Defensive ability (**)
8. Armor

* = This has no diminishing returns and in the case of dodge no hard cap, which means that each point you can get is better than the last. If you gain 10% ranged dodge to go from 0% to 10%, you've reduced your damage taken by 10%. If you gain 10% to go from 80% to 90%, you've reduced your damage taken by 50%. The same applies for resists. Stacking one of these two types is a very strong form of defense and is one of the reasons why Maivens Sphere + Shadow Dance (Arcanist/Nightblade) is such a strong combo.
** = There are some issues with the current DA formulas that make Defensive Ability quite bad at the moment, at least on Ultimate and, to a degree, Elite. Normally, Defensive Ability is the best stat for reducing regular melee-hit damage from monsters. This has been the case in the entire history of TQ and Grim Dawn. Presumably this will be fixed in the upcoming major balancing patch, at which point DA moves up above Health on the list.

Here's a similar list of offensive statistics. Again, the list looks at what is actually AVAILABLE in the game and how well those available amounts contribute to your total DPS.

1. Attack speed / Cast speed (for skills without cooldowns)
2. Offensive Ability
3. Flat +damage of your chosen type (assuming you are using default attacks or skills with a decent % weapon damage ratio on them)
4. Cooldown reduction if your main damage is a skill with a cooldown. Otherwise ignore.
5. +% damage of your chosen type as well as +% total damage, which are functionally the same thing. (Note that +% total damage is less good than one might assume by the name, it adds on to your +% physical or whatever, it's not a total force multiplier)
6. +Cunning/Spirit depending on whether you do Physical/Pierce/Bleed/Internal Trauma or any of the magic types of damage
7. Flat +damage of a type different from your main damage but within the scaling of the same main stat (cunning/spirit).

Dahbadu, you may wanna put these lists somewhere in the OP. Armor is the craziest newbie trap of an ARPG ever and DA in its current form is close behind it.

The Mash fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 6, 2016

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Don't take both. Skillspreading is the worst thing you can do in this game. Pretend you're playing Diablo 2. Max one thing.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

madstrike posted:

Also have a Blade Arc Battlemage that is pretty much just a soldier with the arcanist goodies(inner focus, maivens, mirror and arcane will). This is my intended build.

You should consider ditching Arcane Will, lowering Fighting Spirit to 1 point and then taking Arcanist to 25 for the Elemental Balance modifier for Iskandras instead. Only take 1 point in Iskandras itself obviously. Doing so will give you a more reliable crit damage modifier that is always on and give you more health from the mastery points themselves. Total damage is not nearly as good a stat as it seems on paper, as I mentioned in my previous post on stat priorities.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

I'm not convinced that ranking up Physique to levels to equip heavy armor and weapons/shields for tanky builds is a trap. You also get Defense and Health/Regen from Physique, which adds to survivability. The additive damage bonus from Cunning and Spirit is nice and alll, but I think it's a mistake to build your character in a way that makes it difficult to equip items and weapons you want to use.

Based off the end-game numbers, although not as good as other forms of damage mitigation, cutting a flat 500 damage off a 2k damage hit is nothing to sneeze at, especially when combined with percentage damage mitigation. Importantly, Armor is effective throughout a Veteran playthrough, and many players will be spending a lot of time on their Veteran playthroughs due to how massive the game is. I originally said 40 hours, but a thorough playthrough (clearing every map) is taking me way longer than that.

nerdz posted:

Yeah, after gearing up to have Physique enough to wear the 431+ tier armor, I can say that the difference in survivability is night and day compared to my previously 300 Physique char. I was dying to literally everything in elite and now I'm finally able to proceed and even take on enemy heros.

The increased survivability from Physique primarily comes through Health and to a degree through Defensive Ability, both of which directly increase as you pump more points into Physique. I'm not in any way saying high Physique is a trap (though it should always be your second highest stat, unless maybe if you play hardcore). The problem is that Armor does nothing. It's not 500 damage off 2k hits. 2k hits are on the lower end of Ultimate, a realistic average is 3k or so. And a 500 increase in armor is only a 375 increase in damage reduction, not 500. And finally, whenever a mob hits you, it rolls for which part of you gets hit and only the armor in that area protects you. This means that increasing your chestpiece's armor by 500 will do basically nothing for your survability, as it is burst damage that kills you on Ultimate 95% of the time, which will happen when the monster happens to roll a hit on your head or your legs or your shoulders etc instead. High armor is functionally useless unless 1) you can increase every slot by at least 500 AND 2) you're running a solid amount of %damage absorption on top, as it is applied before armor.

(see also http://grimdawn.com/guide/gameplay/combat.php)

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

lethial posted:

So I too am now addicted to this game, but I have few mechanics related questions:

quote:

1. From what I gathered, we should focus on a particular damage type? Say, poison type dmg. So does that mean that items that adds +%fire dmg won't add to the poison dmg? Also, only poison dmg based skills will be modified by +poison modifiers right? I am bit confused with all the different dmg types and how to stack them properly. :ohdear: Also, won't mobs with high poison resist destroy me if I stack on poison dmg?

Correct on all counts. The only way to do "mixed" damage unless a given skill already does mixed damage is if your skill has a %weapon damage modifier. In that case, flat bonuses to damage from ALL sources will be added in whatever ratio the %weapon damage on the skill suggests. So if you have a poison damage skill that does 300 poison damage and 10% weapon damage and you're wearing a sword that does 50 physical damage, a ring that adds +10 fire damage and a devotion skill that adds +100 lightning damage, your skill will end up doing 300 poison, 5 physical, 1 fire and 10 lightning damage. That is before % multipliers of course. If you have a belt with +100% fire damage, that damage doubles to 2. Etc. This is why it's always best to stack one damage type.

Here's my most clear example for why you should always stack one damage type: Let's say rings can give +50% to one type of damage and amulets and medals each can give +50 flat to one type of damage.

If you split:
+50 cold damage
+50 lightning damage
+50% cold damage
+50% lightning damage
= 75 cold damage, 75 lightning damage = 150 damage

If you don't split:
+50 cold damage
+50 cold damage
+50% cold damage
+50% cold damage
= 200 cold damage

The only time you should split is if you have a lot of modifiers that add to both, and if both sources are within the same base stat (cunning/spirit). You CAN stack physical and pierce together to a degree, as your cunning will boost both and as there are lots of items that boost both. You can also stack elemental damage as the +% elemental damage modifier adds to all three elements (cold/fire/lightning). Flat elemental damage, however, gets divided into thirds and adds each element that way, making it less useful than % elemental damage. If you absolutely must split damage types, %total damage can help a bit too, though items with %total damage are typically underbudgetted as a result.

quote:

2. What stats transfer to pets? I am currently running a pet build (I am lazy :P) but I am not sure if any of the +% dmg/OA/DA/devotion buffs/etc stuff actually get transferred to pets, I feel like that they don't, and only pet-only stats transfer to pets. Doesn't this mean that pet build won't scale well? What stats gets transferred/split to pets? On a related note, seems that you can assign aura/on-hit type celestial powers to pets but not active powers? But somehow I can assign the poison spike ability to pets (so they can trigger it on hit) but I can't assign things like "shepherd's call". I am really confused what can or cannot be assigned to pets... (Is there a way to have more than 3 permanent pets? So far it seems only the crow, hellhound and the tree thingy from shaman line are permanent)

It'll say on any given pet/totem/clone/trap skill whether it scales with pet bonuses or player bonuses. Player bonuses are all the things that buff you too. Pet bonuses are the specific bonus stats to pets listed on some items. It's one or the other, I don't think anything scales with both. If you're doing a pet build, you'll want lots of pet bonuses on your gear and generally forego doing real damage yourself. You should focus on being tanky and maybe having debuffs instead.

Auras will apply to your pets as with other allies. Devotion assignment feels slightly arbitrary at the moment, but generally "on attack" procs can be applied to offensive spells and "on hit", "on block" etc can be applied to buffs, auras, etc.

You can have more permanent pets. Shaman have two pets too and some items allow you to summon permanent pets. Off the top of my head, there's the Grimoire of Og'Napesh (spelling) and a relic, I think Savage. There's also a bunch of temporary pets from items and devotions.

quote:

3. Is there any pet taunt skills? I hate to just run around in circles whenever I cast curse of frailty or when mob decide to ignore my pets to beeline to me...
I don't think so.

quote:

4. I am interested in also rolling a DW character, but I'd like to have a build that does less standing around and default attack all the time, is there a more active build that is viable for ultimate? Related, for dodge based dmg mitigation, won't that leave your character more susceptible to RNG spike dmg? Since unlike flat dmg mitigation, sometimes those hit will NOT be mitigated at all right? Won't this make dodge builds dependent on also having high HP and self heal? Is this even viable?
DW builds can be more active if you max some of the cool-down damage skills in Soldier or Nightblade alongside the DW skills. Shadowstrike, Blitz, etc. DW characters are quite active even without the extra skills though, as they typically move and attack very fast and kill single targets very fast, so there's lots of movement and switching targets involved.

Yeah, dodge builds absolutely need a strong HP pool too. My DW Blademaster has 15k HP and 40% melee dodge, 50% ranged dodge and is still very squishy on Ultimate, to give a frame of reference.

quote:

5. I LOVE the guns in this game, but it seems that gun builds are not viable? Ideally I like to do gun+pet so I don't have to kite so much, but seems that even the gun + sword and shield weapon switch builds are not very viable at ultimate difficulties?
The best physical damage weapon currently in the game as far as itemization goes is a 1-hand pistol. By a MILE. Gun+pet seems a waste as you won't be able to scale both. Dual pistol is very viable, rifle builds are very viable and pistol+shield builds are probably quite viable too.

quote:

6. Are faction-gated gear good? And are they static or do they randomize and scale as you level and buy items from the faction vendors?
They can be OK, but they're almost never best-in-slot. They are static and come in two versions for the greens: level 35 and 70. The stats can vary by about 10% from game to game, so you may want to reset the game a couple times if you're buying one (applies to both their blue and green items).

quote:

Edit: 7. Is there a way to power level? I tried to play with a friend (me level 40, him level 2) and obviously that doesn't work. Is there actually a way to help friends level? Thanks!
You used to be able to power level by bringing a low level player into a high level game and killing high level mobs next to him. If that has been nerfed, I think the fastest way is to power someone through quests, which give a lot of XP.

nerdz posted:

Sure, but I think high physique works in a RNG way as well. If you don't bump up your physique enough, chances are you'll find a lot of great rares and uniques you won't be able to equip due to the stat requirements. The physique requirements are crazy high for some reason.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with having high physique. There's everything wrong with having high physique because you want to wear items because of their armor value. Two different things :)

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I'll probably be streaming a couple hours of Bastion of Chaos Ultimate farming if anyone wants to see what the current endgame looks like

http://www.twitch.tv/hashtagmash

85 Blademaster, focused on Pierce with some Physical damage.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Go here: http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/search

and paste this:

enables the ability to dual wield ranged

You need one of these items to dual wield pistols

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

zidane13 posted:

I think I'm playing my classes wrong, but it's really fun, at least as early as I am(level 16). Shaman/Arcanist, with Primal Strike and Devouring Swarm maxed, and a few points in Iskandra's Elemental Exchange 'cause the MP absorb sounded good(I can't tell if its helping, but it was probably a waste of a class). I shoot bugs, gamble on lightning strikes, and run away making Zoidberg noises when I meet bosses, which are hella fun on Veteran and actually require me to think and dance.

Thinking I might restart and pick another sub-class. If I did, what would be a good choice? Really the only thing I'm unhappy with is lack of mana, as potions are expensive and so much less cool than new equipment. Also, do 2-handed weapons start dropping more frequently later? 'Cause I've had to buy all mine, not a single drop that wasn't white, whereas I've gotten tons of blue/greens for everything else.

Also also, if an item says "+XX% Elemental Damage", does it increase damage from using that element or am I doing extra elemental damage?
If an item says +x% Elemental damage, that actually means +x% Cold damage, +x% Fire damage AND +x% Lightning damage. So any damage you already have from any of those three sources will be increased by x%. If you have no lightning damage, you won't suddenly start doing lightning damage because of it though. You need flat x lightning damage for that.

Fewd posted:

Ok so about commando. I use Fire Strike as main attack, and it's completely skill pointed up to Static Strike at the moment. Is it worth going deeper into demo tree just for Brimstone? Looking at the description without any skill points in it, it kinda looks weakish. Although, if I go deeper into demo I suppose it wouldn't be exclusively for brimstone but also the canister bomb upgrade Improved Casing. And speaking of IC, it also confuses me. The description says "...and slowing them down.", but statwise there's nothing about any slow on the description? Does IC actually slow enemies that get canister bombed? If so, how much and how long it lasts?

I love using Canister Bombs but gonna skip the stunning upgrade because stuns just feel really loving worthless in this game. I've already tried stun jacks as crowd control and the only enemies that I actually need them with (melee bosses like that guy in steps of torment) seem to resist them most of the time or otherwise just don't give a gently caress. Jacks are worthless, stuns are worthless and I'm pretty sure the CB stun upgrade is even more worthless than worthless since it debuffs the bomb damage. Yase? :confused:

Have you focused on physical or elemental damage so far? Your second mastery selection and your focus on cuning or spirit decides this. Fire Strike can be used for both. If you've focused on elemental damage so far, I would get Brimstone. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

For what it's worth, currently on Ultimate, bosses (minus the final boss, who is obviously total bullshit) are the easiest part of the game. The hardest part is large packs with varied types of monsters. AoE damage and AoE CC is definitely useful.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Rookersh posted:

If I'm running a Forcequake based Warder, would I want Savagery ( every attack is murder! ), or Primal Strike as my backup?

Primal Strike seems like it'd be overkill/wasted points, since it seems to be the weaker Shaman version of Forcequake, and I'd probably want to be keeping my energy for Forcequake.

http://grimcalc.com/build/o2mklg seems to be what I'm thinking right now. Blitz my way into groups, drop a Forcequake, then with them all stunned, bleeding, and very unhappy, start slamming into them with very powerful Savagery attacks. Focus on Bleed/Lightning/Physical damage, and get a good boost to bleed damage through Primal Bond. I realize I need to actually look at the numbers first to see what a good point per point cost is for each of those skills ( like Blitz only really gets more damage, and if it does piddly damage anyway, I might as well just take those points out, use it as the mobility option, and instead get more health regen/armor. ), but mainly just trying to see what you guys think of core skill/ability use.

Main issues I can think of, only having played for a little bit/but played a lot of Titan Quest is that I'm skipping the health regen/armor buffs across the board in favor of mobility/damage. I'm also giving up the proc based abilities in Soldier, but really, I've never been able to trust proc abilities very well. These are considerably better then Titan Quests 5% chance to activate on hit style procs, but still, I'd rather have guaranteed hits/diversity upfront then not.

Thoughts?

e: Already learning a few things from googling around that are making me want to remove points in some things. Feral Hunger is a proc, so I'd really only want 1 point in it. Blitz can probably be 1, I'm only using it for the speed/aoe debuff. Also Trauma and Bleed aren't the same thing? In which case is Internal Trauma the skill for Forcewave even going to help much since I'll be focusing on Bleed/Lightning? Going to tweak this a bit more.

Feral Hunger is a proc, yes, but you'll definitely want more than 1 point in it. It's only at 8% chance to proc at 1 point, and with way less damage than when maxed.

However, you probably first need to decide if you're going for damage from skills or autoattacks (Savagery being the latter). Savagery isn't very good for the first 3-4 stacks, so it's pretty bad as a supplementary source of damage. It's generally all or nothing with that skill. It pairs well with Blitz if you absolutely must have some burst damage, because at least Blitz give you the mobility to move around and keep your stacks up.

What weapon are you using? Everything about your build screams 2-hand, but you haven't taken the Might of the Bear modifier for Savagery which is incredibly point-efficient.

Also, you have access to the two best HP-bonuses in the game, Military Conditioning and Heart of the Wild, and you've currently taken neither when you should definitely take both.

You could consider going 50 Soldier/32 Shaman instead of 32 Soldier/50 Shaman, as Oleron's Rage is probably better than Primal Bond. I don't think you'll need the tankiness from Primal Bond if you get the must-have HP buffs, whereas the extra OA on Oleron's Rage is pure gold for you.

If you're going 1H/shield, you should DEFINITELY go 50/32 instead of 32/50, as Menhirs Bulwark is basically identical to Primal Bond, but Soldier will give you more Physique and more HP than Shaman and also give you the option to respec into Olerons Rage over Menhirs Bulwark, should you decide you're tanky enough and need more damage instead.

Also, and this is the most important piece of advice I can give:

Decide if you're going physical, bleed or lightning. You can combine physical and bleed reasonably well but those two definitely don't pair well with lightning.

If you choose physical, take the points out of Brute Force. 55% damage for 12 points is very low return on Investment.

You're also missing Storm Touched, the modifier for Savagery, which is very good if you choose to use Savagery as your primary source of damage.

Here's some example builds that try to do some of the things you want to do (but not all of them, because you're stretched too thin at the moment)
2hand Savagery (Physical/Bleed): http://grimcalc.com/build/3b4cwO
2hand Savagery (Lightning damage): http://grimcalc.com/build/O83nBC
1H/2H Forcewave (Physical/Bleed): http://grimcalc.com/build/UwY1TA (move pts from Squad Tactics or Decorated Soldier into Shield Training if you go 1H/Shield, use Mistborn Talisman relic or Shard of Beronath weapon component as your left click instead of Savagery)

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I would like it if they amped up the colours, contrast and general appearance of player characters and, particularly, epic and legendary items, and also amped up most player spell effects quite a bit. If they did that, I would honestly prefer it if they kept the surroundings mostly the current dark colours, to more clearly show the distinction between players and the rest of the World.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

If I'm thinking of pairing up a Soldier with a pet class which one would work best? Also is it worth doing at all?

For me, pet builds are generally all-or-nothing, since most pet builds use the pets that scale with pet bonuses rather than player bonuses (I don't think you can really do a pet build that scales with player bonuses, as that's mostly totems, traps and devotion procs). As a result, right now, it seems like the obvious pet build is Conjurer (Occultist/Shaman). That build can get tanky enough on its own that Soldier won't do much for it. And if you want to do damage yourself, your pets won't do enough.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

madstrike posted:

This might be useful too. A list of all the devotion shrines in the game, in case you forget to pick some up. (Spoilers obviously) : http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26777

http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Shrines#Shrine_Locations

This list is easier to look at IMO. In general, the wiki is pretty good now.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

nerdz posted:

Might not be worth prioritizing OA over more important stuff just to increase devotion skill procs, though.

OA is like the most important stat in the game anyway

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The Royal Scrub posted:

Are there any skills that do enough Chaos Damage to focus on that damage type?

You could probably combine Chaos Bolt with Albrechts Aether Ray in Arcanist, which can be converted into Chaos damage.

Erz posted:

e: Anyone have a suggestion on stat points for a melee druid? I've put 30 into physique so far.

Something like a 50/50 mix of Physique and Spirit should do ok for you, if you're focusing on elemental damage as you should. You shouldn't need cunning at all, you'll get OA from straight OA bonuses from masteries, devotion and gear.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

After spending quite a lot of time doing Devotion setups for different builds, it kind of feels like there's a "correct solution" for each character build, which slightly takes the fun out of things. Some constellations are so much stronger than the rest (hello Targos, Hawk, Viper) that you're basically shoehorned into specific setups. So far, I haven't found a character where I haven't been able to come up with a solution that comes down to the last devotion point. Annoyingly, the best solution for Druids requires 51 points, meaning that you have to skip a good bonus somewhere, in this particular case the Hourglass timestop active or 8% health in Targo.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Those are alright, although in my experience, generally the correct way to solve the Devotion tree is to find the single tier 3 constellation that is best for your build, see if there's another tier 3 constellation with similar requirements that is also good for your build (Oleron/Living Shadow or Spear of Heaven/Hourglass, for instance), then build for those two, making sure you get Hawk and Targos on the way, and Viper too for most builds. All the middle stuff ends up being just fluff to meet the requirements.

E: Armor piercing % on a weapon is how much of thats weapons physical damage is converted into pierce damage instead, to be multiplied later by +% pierce damage bonuses. A +100% armor piercing bonus means that the listed % on your weapons will be doubled. The +100% armor piercing bonus will only increase your damage if:
A) You are currently using at least one weapon with a % armor piercing ratio on it
AND
B) You have more +% pierce damage than +% physical damage

E2: Technically, you can ignore B) if you instead fight monsters with low pierce resistance, either from their natural stats or through pierce resistance debuffs like Nights Chill

The Mash fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 10, 2016

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Most videos are probably from B28 which was capped at 60 and lasted for several months.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

It seems like a lot of builds are just passives, toggles, and a main spammable power. Are there some more "active" skill trees?

Every mastery tree has a combination of passives and actives. The reason why you see most builds consist of one "main spammable power" and a bunch of passives is that builds with multiple active skills all belong in the category "bad builds". In that respect, GD is JUST like Diablo 2, where you could only max one, MAYBE two skills.

If you really want more different buttons to push, you'll be able to get those from item components and special items. Any build with more than two active, direct damage skills is terrible.

Erz posted:

From level 50 to 80 I only found 5 legendaries. Seems like itd take forever to get the ones that are actually useful for your character. Or maybe im unlucky, or the story isn't a good way to get them or something.

The droprate of legendaries is quite low below Ultimate, and even on Ultimate it isn't all that hot compared to the generally terrible quality of the items. I think they've said they're buffing legendary droprates on Ultimate by like 40% next patch though.

In the meantime, doing runs of Bastion of Chaos, Cronley or any run for Nemesis-bosses is probably the way to go if you specifically want to farm legendaries.

The Mash fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 11, 2016

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

If you open your reputation tab (J default), you can see divisions of negative reputation among enemy factions. Any faction that you're maxed out with has a chance to spawn a Nemesis boss when you run around in an area where that type of mobs normally appears. Nemesis bosses are usually large, have red nameplates and are very tough to kill. In return, they come with a special Nemesis Trove nearby that usually contains good loot. The most easily farmed ones are probably either the one that can spawn in Cronley's Lair or the Undead one, that apparently spawns next to a waypoint sometimes, so you can reset games to farm it. In multiplayer, only the host of the game needs to be a nemesis of a faction for that faction to spawn a boss.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

There are no actives that "compliment" the default. The sheer amount of passive points available to boost Savagery (the whole Savagery line itself is good, 2 of the passive procs above it in the mastery are good and Soldier is full of good passives for you (Decorated Soldier, Field Command, Squad Tactics) plus either Olerons Rage or Stormcallers) plus the HP passives in both trees mean you won't really have enough points to go for an active skill too. If I had to suggest one, I would go with Blitz since it has good ratios and can actually help you with your Savagery stack uptime because of the added mobility.

Here's a min-maxed 2h Savagery Warder:
http://grimcalc.com/build/AchrKO

You've got all of two points to spare after maxing every useful skill and those could easily go into Decorated Soldier. You could put one point in Blitz and one in Blindside in this scenario, which would pair fairly well with Savagery.

The Mash fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 11, 2016

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You can get different skills from components that'll help make the build more interesting. The best weapon component for your build is probably Oleron's Blood, which gives a pretty nice attack on a relatively low cooldown. There's also other components and items that give active skills without costing a lot of points you could be using to make your regular Savagery attacks hit harder.

E: https://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/3001-Oleron's-Blood
260% weapon damage and +50% crit, the equivalent of which would cost A LOT of skillpoints that are better used passively amplifying your attacks

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Is that shot taken on Ultimate? Because if so, your resists are great

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Psykmoe posted:

Primal Strike is such a lovely looking attack, so I'm looking to play a Shaman focusing on Lightning damage. I'm just having some difficulty deciding on the secondary. Nightblade maybe? Pneumatic Burst is a great skill, heal, total speed buff (to stack with Storm-Touched) and with Shadow Dance, even some avoidance. I guess I wouldn't know what else to take from there, though.

Or maybe an Arcanist Secondary? Maiven's shield bubble is always nice. How good is IEE+Overload? The +Elemental Damage on Overload looks decent, because buffs to Elemental damage fully apply to Lightning but I'm a little worried about IEE's 25% physical to elemental conversion (when maxed), since according to the Documentation, Elemental damage is an even split Fire/Lightning/Frost, which would get fully buffed by Overload but the whole of the Shaman tree only buffs the Lightning portion.

Maybe IEE is still a good way to rely less on physical damage since I figure a Lightning Shaman would have more spirit than cunning anyway? I'm not sure how the internal math works here.

Say I do some X amount of physical damage, presumably adjusted by cunning. Now because I take Stormcaller's Pact, 15% of that is converted to Lightning. Does this newly converted Lightning damage then benefit from Spirit bonuses to become a larger total number than the original '15% of X physical'?

I guess the answer to that would also give me an idea how much of a waste of points IEE would be. Is any amount of spirit-derived damage better than physical in a spirit-heavy character?

Edit: The same page i pulled my quote from had the answer.

If you're focusing on any kind of elemental damage, Arcanist is a very good secondary. Arcanist is also probably the best all-around secondary tree to take if you don't actually need a secondary tree at all.

If you don't actually need anything from a secondary tree at all, Arcanist offers every build in the game:
+25% crit damage (as an aura for allies too!)
30% damage absorption
17% chance to dodged ranged
+12% offensive ability

Soldier is probably the closest with:
+16% offensive ability (assuming you're not Shaman)
+15% physique
+28% Health
Additional +10% offensive ability with roughly 20-30% uptime.

Your question at the end has the correct assumptions. If you're already going spirit-heavy to do mostly Lightning damage, IEE will increase your damage, especially since you'll presumably also get the +% elemental damage modifier in the tree.
There isn't another mastery tree in the game with as many and as strong passive bonuses

You've got one thing wrong here, though:

quote:

Elemental damage is an even split Fire/Lightning/Frost, which would get fully buffed by Overload but the whole of the Shaman tree only buffs the Lightning portion

Literally the only thing in the entire Shaman tree that actually buffs lightning damage is Savagery. The tree as a whole contains 0 buffs to existing lightning damage and only offers skills that do lightning damage themselves. Your actual buffs to lightning damage will likely come from your second skill tree (if you run Arcanist), your spirit and your gear.

In general, you run the conversion stat when you have bigger % modifiers to the new type of damage than the old one. It sounds like you've chosen Lightning as your primary type of damage, in which case I can all but guarantee you'll have bigger bonuses to all elemental damage than to physical too, both from your spirit being higher than your cunning and from finding gear with +% elemental damage rather than +%lightning damage (+% elemental damage is strictly better when given a choice).

Megasabin posted:

After reading through the skills I'm considering a few different builds. Wondering if anyone could comment on their viability?

1. Druid that spams wind devils and totems
2. Arcanist concentrating on Replicating missle
3. Arcanist concentrating on Aether Ray
4. Nightblade concentrating on Phantasmal Blades (kind of hoping this would play like an ethereal blades character from PoE)

1. I haven't played it, but it is my impression that it is viable.
2. It probably gets outscaled lategame, but at that point you can turn it into an Aether Ray character instead, which, I think, scales better
3. Probably viable, largely because of the ridiculous amount of gear available to the build.
4. Should still be viable. Note that Phantasmal Blades scales with cast speed rather than attack speed, so Arcanist is a very obvious second choice for the cast speed/lower energy cost passive.

The Mash fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Arcanist took a massive hit in the patch yesterday though, so it may not be the default second class of choice anymore