Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I've got the idea in my head to go back to Japan next year perhaps when I can, since I know the borders are currently closed to tourism last I checked. I've been once before though it was 2006 on a college study trip for a month. I thought I'd maybe ask a few questions while I'm here since no doubt things have changed in the 16 years since I've been there last.

This trip would likely be 2 weeks in June or July since the friend who would be coming with me is a teacher and probably wouldn't be able to take off during the school year. I'd like to try to go to Tokyo since my previous trip involved more the Kansai/Western areas (Nagoya, Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima). If possible I'd also like to maybe hit Osaka for a day or two as well.

So I guess my questions really center around, how much do you think this might cost? I've been told in the 3-5k range though I wasn't sure if that included airfare. It did factor in things like the JR Pass, hotel stays and food.

We have not plotted much out yet other than potential wanting to visit nerdy stores so...I guess I'll take any info you got and are willing to give, thanks!

...also if this is the wrong thread uhh..my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I've never even heard of the Suica before. That looks helpful if we're mainly staying in the Tokyo area for sure. Like I said, kinda wanna hit up Osaka for a day or two too though but probably could just get normal tickets for that then.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Zettace posted:

Wouldn't recommend Osaka as a day trip from Tokyo. It's like a 6 hour round trip by Shinkansen so most of your day would be on a train instead of doing stuff. Even if you're willing to do that, ~$300 per person in train tickets to just do a couple of things in Osaka doesn't seem worth it.

That adds up, so def would wanna make it a multi day thing if we wanna do that. I'm sure there's plenty of things in Osaka area to check out haha.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
This is all really helpful and I definitely appreciate all the help being given. I work for a hotel chain here and I've actually poked at our Tokyo location like "Hey guys...you do the employee discount over there?" lol Also I forgot to factor in internet stuff..so you would just potentially buy a lil sim card and use that for the 2ish week stay then?

Also I have been to Kyoto before but not Kanazawa...though I could always go back because my friend hasn't been to Japan at ALL.

Another question since someone brought it up to me. With souvenirs is it better to try and ship them home from Japan or just bring them on the plane with us? I don't think we'd be bringing home something huge or crazy but there's always the chance awkward packing might happen otherwise.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
So I'm thinking of going on a trip next year to the Tokyo area with my SO since they've never been and I haven't been since a college study trip in 2006. I know we'd love to go to the Kirby cafe cuz they're a huge fan but was wondering how much is say a good amount to save for the trip ahead. I'm not sure the average prices in USD for flights etc. and having a twoish week (prob more like 10 days) stay in the country.

So I guess my question is like...any tips on what is a good amount I should save? Things to look to seeing while we're there etc. It would most likely be a summer trip due to it being summer break for my SO's job, though I'd prefer to go a cooler month. The last time I went, like I said was a summer study trip in Nagoya/Seto/Hiroshima/Nara/Kyoto and Kobe for a day.

Thanks for any help!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

harperdc posted:

Flights can still be a bit expensive because they're still getting spooled back up after COVID, in the past they were ~$900-1500 round trip per person depending on time of year and deals available. Don't think there's much in terms of true low-cost carriers doing the trips from the U.S. either, so Delta/United or ANA/JAL and just suck it up. Hotels are the real big variable, depending on how close you want to be and how much you want to spend it can be from maybe $100 per night (assuming more than a solo traveler because Japan likes to charge per person) or much more if you go high-end. So that would be let's say $3,000+ for the major parts of the trip - flights and 7-10 nights of hotels.

But that's before meals, transport, and goodies.

Yea I'm HOPING I could maybe get a deal off the one hotel in the Tokyo area that's associated with my workplace but I never got a response from them in the past. Dunno if I should try CALLING them or what lol. Also yea, it'd be 2 of us so it'd automatically be more money huh...that kinda blows :nyoron:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

MJP posted:

If you have good credit and can plan your spending accordingly, churning credit cards basically paid for 90% of our trip. Round trip business class United EWR-HND, 7 nights at the Hyatt Regency Tokyo, 1 night at Senkyoro (you could easily find a better ryokan), 4 nights at the City Plaza Osaka, for a total cost of $3800. I had a ton of United miles to throw at things but if you have flexibility in your airlines, you might do OK.

Churning is way off scope for this thread but it's worth looking into if you can put all your spending on a credit card and pay it off as you go.

I like to think my credit's pretty good. I've got my personal cards which have $2000 and $3000 on 'em. And worse comes to worst, there's a family AMEX too.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Why in god's name would anyone travel to Japan in the middle of summer lol smdh

Sounds like the perfect way to hate the country and yourself for spending $2000 or whatever to go there

Also cuz my partner doesn't wanna take off during the school year even though I'd love to go any other month tbh haha. Maybe I can convince them over the course of the next year. What IS the best time to go? I know in Spring you get cherry blossoms in mid March-April haha.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fall is my fave season in general so this sounds super appealing tbh.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Maybe one day I'll just do a solo trip over in the fall time. Seems like there is no actual way to swing this trip in any time but during summer break in the end haha. Soooo...June July or August, which is best? I know June is raaaaainy.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
So I think I have figured out that Japan trip will prob be the middle of Julyish next year most likely and have a few questions. Mostly just if there's a time I should look for tickets for a good price and if there's a specific airline I should use?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Yea I'd love to fly any other time than July but since my roomie/SO works at school, the only time they can really do long term travel is in the summer. I mean they COULD take time off during the school year but I SPOSE their vacation works differently than mine lol.

Also yea I'd be flying out of the US and most likely would have to swap airlines cuz the closest airport to me ain't an international one lol.

When's the best time to look for tickets? Or is it all a crap shoot like usual?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Grand Fromage posted:

I'd ask in the cheap airfare thread. I don't know if that advice has changed with COVID and having to avoid Russian airspace but there are airfare nerds in there who would.

Thanks I'll check that out. Last time I flew to Japan it was over Canada so I don't think we ever entered Russia's.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I also got to wondering if you need to book hotels way in advance or is just a couple months fine, depending on events I suppose. I think our plan is to stay in the Tokyo area so not super sure the best things to do with that.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I keep bothering with questions and I do apologize, I'm just kind of trying to pre-set up things so I know what I should plan for for a 2 week stay I suppose. I know we want to go to Tokyo and try to eat at the Kirby cafe, but should we take a couple days out of the Tokyo area and visit somewhere else like Osaka or the like?

I realize these are probably annoying questions when we don't even know what we wanna do but I guess it's just like...I wanna see cool things and dunno what cool things there are :nyoron: Like my roomie expressed maybe visiting an aquarium for one but I dunno what a good one is in Japan.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Grand Fromage posted:

The Osaka aquarium is good, they have whale sharks.

There's certainly plenty to do in Tokyo for two weeks. That's long enough I'd get out of the city for a bit though. I'd do something more distinct than going to Osaka though, go up in the mountains to Matsumoto or Kyoto and Nara (you could go to the Osaka aquarium and Dotonbori or something as an easy Kyoto day trip). Osaka is good but it is Giant Japanese City much like Tokyo, I'd pick one or the other.

I have been to Kyoto and Nara before, I still have my cup from Kiyomizu-dera. My roomie hasn't though so might be a thing to do.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
For a 2 week trip, would it be worth getting a JR Pass? I feel like I asked this before and was told no but it sounds convenient tbh.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Yea I was just looking here and it's like Tokyo to Kanazawa is about 14k yen by Shinkansen though unsure how up to date that info is.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

harperdc posted:

In fairness, you can go all around Tokyo proper…and still have possible day trips to Utsunomiya and Nikko, Kamakura and Enoshima, Yokohama proper, Hakone and it’s surrounds, potentially even Mt Fuji. With bullet train, you could even visit to Kyoto or Osaka in a day trip if you’re out early and back late.

It depends on what you and your travel companions really want to do. I would recommend looking into those day trips, but I also dislike switching hotels too much on that length of trip.

Yea I think we should nail down things we'd wanna do before anything. It's just a case of like..the last time I went to Japan was a school summer study trip in college so it's trying to figure out things on my own this time and am just thinking of every option before doing anything. Maybe it is dumb to think so far ahead without a set plan but I can't help myself lol

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I apologize for posting too much, my brain just goes into planning overdrive for something that isn't even set in stone yet. I just wanna figure out as much info as I can so I know what I'm getting into. I'll hush for a bit but I appreciate all the help you all have given for sure!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Bofast posted:

You could probably find some ideas from just looking up interests on Japan Guide?
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623.html

I'm not sure why I didn't try this before. I'ma blame trying to overthink things haha. Thanks!
Also a thought did come to me, how easy is it to get one of those portable wifi set ups? Pretty sure we're gonna need that when we visit from everything I've heard.

EDIT: Also has anyone been to Sakaiminato? A part of me really wants to visit due to loving Shigeru Mizuki's work..

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 30, 2023

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

LyonsLions posted:

Yes, not recently, but it was a fun place to visit. That part of the country is incredibly beautiful.

Honestly might try to put it on at the last couple days of the trip maybe. See if we can't take the train or a plane out to it then fly outta the nearby airport to Narita and home.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

LyonsLions posted:

You'll love it. The Shigeru Mizuki stuff is fun and it's such a beautiful place. BTW have you read his Showa History series or his other autobiographical stuff? Highly recommended, the guy lived a pretty crazy life.

I know a lot about him but def will need to check that out, def agree that his life was something else.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Here is a question I have since it's something I've never done before. How easy is it to get an overnight train to a location like...would it be a good idea to say take a 7-8 hour train ride over night from Tokyo to the Sakaiminato area (or as close as I can get at least)?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Oo got it, I'll look into it more cuz it's either bus, train or plane to get from Tokyo to there. Just was wondering if you all had any experience/if it was possible. Thanks!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Appreciate the help~ Figured a train might be fun and be different than another plane ride and all and maybe a bit cheaper? Not 100% sure there. I did learn that only All Nippon Airline operates the Tokyo to Yonago flights so far though.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Going to start looking for flight stuff I think and was curious if any of y'all used like a AAA travel agent to do this or just went on your own with like Priceline and such haha.
My last out of country trips were school related ones (not counting a 3 day job interview stay in Toronto like 12 years ago).

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Virtue posted:

Book direct whenever possible my dude

That checks tbh haha.I'll start looking at JAL or ANA later. Thanks~

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Welp finally got step one completed. Booked for next July 9th - 23rd for me and roomie. Now to look into hotels and stuff~

Realized in the middle of our stay is Marine Day which I had forgotten so..I guess we get to celebrate that?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Here's a question because I'm curious: should one pack to have enough clothes for the full trip or should you pack just enough and do laundry halfway? Not sure if it's smart or not to pack 13ish days of clothes. I know Japanese washing machines are way different than US ones in terms of load capabilities.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Thanks for the heads up. Last time I was in Japan was a school trip in 2006 and we stayed at a like..an old/not in use for our stay softball team dormitory. It had machines but I do not remember how it worked cuz this was almost 20 years ago haha.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
What would be the best way to get to Sakaiminato from Tokyo? Would it just be taking a train out there? I assume you don't need to get train tickets as far in advance as plane tickets but I could be wrong? Trains are not a thing in my population 10,000 town in middle Ohio.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

teddust posted:

Probably by airplane the train route is like 7 hours cause Sakaiminato is on the wrong side of the country. What is the context here cause if you are looking to visit Tottori on a vacation you might want to plan to hit up some other stuff in western Japan.

I am a huge dweeb and I wanna see all the Gegege no Kitaro stuff and I've also been told it's pretty out there :nyoron:

Like we're going to be in Japan for just under 2 weeks and part of me wants to see more than Tokyo even though there's stuff in Tokyo we DEF wanna do like Akiba, Kirby Cafe..maybe hit up some of the big shrine/temples and Miraikan/Odaiba?

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 25, 2023

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Thanks for the heads up there. We've got til next July to figure this stuff out, and I'm sure by then we'll know what we wanna do. Maybe that could be another trip some day because even flying local would mean packing up alllll our luggage and going on a teeny plane and then doing it again to get back to Haneda to go home which..yea.

Any suggestions for cool things in Eastern Japan that are not 7 hours away from Tokyo?

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 26, 2023

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Thanks for the suggestions~ Was curious also if there are any particular noteworthy aquariums in the area? I know Tokyo has atleast one and I see Enoshima does, just curious if there's any standouts like "must see this". Aquariums are nice to me ahah. I did also see they might have events around Marine Day which probably will wanna try to avoid them that day?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Researching a bit on Tokyo hotels and all, does anyone have suggestions or preferences on which section of Tokyo might be best to stay in on a budget? Like..is Shibuya best? Asakusa? I've run into lots of random travel blogs so I guess just gauging opinions where I can get them haha.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Not gonna lie, something about getting to ride a bunch of trains around to get places seems really fun but also I feel dweeby saying it lol. It's probably just because it's different from having to drive everywhere.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

AHH F/UGH posted:

The public transit system is legit neat and interesting to use if you're just going places but if you're just going to work or something it's a total drag

Man I loving hated the summer days where you're loving sleepy and you're in this insanely humid and hot weather stuck on a train platform

JR sucks, at least the Tokyo Metro stations usually have an air conditioner and you're not being murdered by the sun and the heat island effect of all the buildings

This is definitely a thought I had taking the train in Chicago on a vacation last year into the city from out in Rosemont. "This is super cool and fun but I bet if I'd have to commute on it every morning, I'd hate it."

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I have maybe an odd question but..have any of y'all been to any of the original Iron Chefs' restaurants in Japan? I have been watching old reruns and I'm really curious if it'd be something worth doing.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Thanks for this~ Time to research~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I am curious yea like at the moment looking at just the Tokyo area for trip next summer. Is it a good idea to just stick to one big city area for 12ish days? We're lookin at hitting up Akiba, Enoshima, Numazu, Harajuku...I forget where the Kirby and FF14 cafes are..