Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed Nagasaki, but it's not exactly close enough to any of the other cities you're going to to make it worth it, especially if it's just for a day. It's about a 5 hour trainride from Osaka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

Help me I'm in Akihabara I'm suffering culture shock from seeing all those gross anime nerds in their pilgrim clothes.

Compared to hakone it's another form of hell. But going through random side streets and eating the fruit and vegetables makes the trip way more fun than my average sub par meals and average sub par onsen

You mentioned this before but, what's wrong with Hakone? I've been there a few years ago and really enjoyed my stay. It was the first I had ever been to an onsen/ryokan so that might have colored my view a bit, but I really enjoyed the roundtrip as well.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do you have any ryokan you'd recommend in Nikko? I was looking at going there for a day or 2 later this year.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How doable is traveling through Hokkaido without a car? I'm looking into some places I want to visit there and it seems like it'll be pretty hard to get anywhere without one. I've been to Sapporo and Noboribetsu, both of which were easy to get to, but looking at Shiretoko, Sounkyo or Lake Toya makes me think this'll be pretty hard.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're going to to Sapporo I can highly recommend Social Hostel 365

The beds are very large and private which is pretty drat rare for a hostel and there's a bar downstairs which is open every night. The staff are all super nice and helpful, one of the founders even prefers you call him O-chan.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're into One Piece at all the One Piece kabuki was pretty drat entertaining. I'm not sure if it'll still be showing in october, but it's worth looking out for.

edit: looks like they just did their last show, but there's a movie based on the play coming out this fall.

Freaksaus fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 29, 2016

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only change I would make to that schedule is to just fly back from Osaka. That saves you the 3 hour train back to Tokyo.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Plenty of hostels also have private rooms which can still be a lot cheaper than a regular hotel.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Night: Uhhhh

Hey thread, anyone got ideas for night-time stuff to do in Kyoto? Assuming that what we can do during the day won't take all the way 'til bedtime, which is possible.

You could go for an evening performance with a maiko(Geisha in training). I did this earlier this year and I really enjoyed the experience. It was 1.5 hour of us talking, with a dance in between. There was unlimited drinks as well but I ended up not drinking much at all. There's also options where you have dinner and they perform there.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I could use some advice for an upcoming trip in october/november. I've been to Japan several times but haven't spent a lot of time in Kyushu yet. So this time, after landing in Tokyo I'm going to fly out to Kyushu and tour around.

I always try to visit at least one onsen town and Kurokawa Onsen seemed like it'd be really nice. My current plan is to travel around Kyushu, eventually end up in Kumamoto for 2 days, then travel to Kurokawa from there as it's not too far by bus. My problem is where to go after, like many onsen towns t's pretty far out of the way and while I'd like to go to Nagasaki after, traveling for 5 hours doesn't seem like the best way to spend my time.

Looking for any suggestions of places to stay and visit after Kurokawa Onsen for a day or two, or even other onsen towns. Nothing's set in stone yet except for my arrival and departure from Tokyo so any suggestion is welcome.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LyonsLions posted:

Check out Takachiho

Went here in early november this year and it was great, didn't end up rowing through the canyon but the hiking alone was very worth it. Make sure you stay there too so you can watch the Kagura at night.

It's also decently close to several good hotspring towns, I stayed in Kurokawa onsen and it was a really nice, cozy little town with several good hot springs to try.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're into hiking at all I can highly recommend the area around the Japanese Alps.

Both Norikura and Kamikochi are some of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I went there in novermber of last year and the views were stunning.
In the same area you can find the Alpine route and the Kurobe Gorge, both very much worth seeing at least once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I forgot which combini it was, but they had machines where, if you picked the option to pay by cash at the register, you just dumped your coins and it told you how much you had left. Great way to just get rid of all the low value coins without having to even count.