Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Whenever I've been in kabukicho at night a million touts immediately swarm upon me. I probably look like an easy mark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I've gone with pocket wifi from eConnect before but this time I'll probably just get a sim at the airport. It feels like less of a hassle than having another thing that needs to be carrier around and charged every night.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
For some reason the teamlabs websiote refuses to let me buy tickets for borderless. I was planning on going there this Sunday (I'm flying to Japan tomorrow, but it's closed Mon-Wed next week and I'm leaving Tokyo on Thursday). Since it's not exactly the busiest time of year, is it likely there will still be same-day tickets available?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

geese posted:

That's odd that the Teamlab tickets aren't working... I tried myself and it seems to be ok: https://ticket.teamlab.art/#/order.
Once you choose your date, you actually have to click in the 'Entrance Pass' box to make it expand and choose your number of tickets. It's not the most intuitive. When I went in the summer you had to choose a timed ticket, but it doesn't seem to have that option anymore.

It claimed that the service was busy or something and wouldn't accept either of my cards, two days in a row 🤔 I was thinking it might be because my surname has Swedish letters (åäö) and it wouldn't let me input that in the cardholder field so the name didn't match

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I actually got two error popups, one about the service being busy and one that about there being a problem with the card

Anyway they hade tickets and there was an insane amount of people so I'd hate to see how it is when theyre sold out

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I'm in Kyoto after 5 days in Tokyo and suddenly my will to walk all day just drained away. Good thing it's so easy to get around by bike (too bad I didn't pick a hotel with complementary bike)

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I'm leaving on Sunday after two weeks :( my plans were mostly walking a lot, eating and hanging around random coffee places (oh and buying tons of nerd poo poo)

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

EDIT: Jesus. Just re-booked both hotel rooms (Tokyo and Kyoto) through Hotels.com (where I'd initially booked them); same hotels, same rooms; shaved ~35% off the total price.

Cool I'm glad I read this, I could rebook my last hotel before going home, almost 50% cheaper. Wish I had checked this with my other places too.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I got back from Japan today after two weeks. I'm also now banished from work for two weeks.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I remember one great arcade for older fighting games in akiba when I was there a few years ago but I couldn't find it this time (but I didn't look that hard either). I don't think it was a Sega or Namco arcade but I'm probably just misremembering.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Archer666 posted:

One of the main Sega (i think) arcades at the main akiba street has a floor dedicated to VF5 along with some Tekken and Fate Unlimited Codes. Maybe you're thinking of that?

Maybe. It had a bunch of SF2/SF3 cabs and other older fighting games but I remember losing a lot at those two. There's probably a few arcades like that in akiba though.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Martytoof posted:

There's way too many variables IMO. My gut feeling is that, yes, the travel restrictions will be lifted, but even if it is open for tourism the chance of a second wave of COVID has me re-evaluating my own plans for a December trip.

:sigh: That reminds me, I was supposed to be on a flight to Japan in two days :(

I'm super happy I managed to visist Japan just right before everything got really bad (two weeks in february).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Blacows was good from what I can recall and I found a little place tucked away in an alley in Kyoto which was pretty good too. But that's the extent of my Japan burger experience.