Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Yeah, himeji's cool, and if you can shinkansen there it should reduce the pain- in- the- arse factor of getting there. I say go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Dad and I are seriously considering another trip for late next year, possibly centered around Shikoku and including biking Shimanami. What's there to do in western Japan (southern tip of Honshu/Shikoku/Kyushu)? Places I know of are Hiroshima, Onomichi, Ehime, and Fukuoka, but I'm not sure exactly what the itinerary would look like. Any suggestions?

Nagasaki is really cool and has a big festival from 7-9 October.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Giant Ethicist posted:

Saga, the prefecture so dull a second-rate comedian got briefly very famous for his song about just how dull and backwards it is.

I tried looking for an airb'n'b in Saga and airb'n'b was like "maybe u mean fukuoka"

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
A friend was once talking to a Japanese guy who had been living in Kobe at the time of the big earthquake. She asked him what Kobe was like just after the earthquake and he said "It was terrible, it looked like Saga"

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

zmcnulty posted:

It's called Saizeriya, but instead of unlimited soup and breadsticks you get unlimited wine

Fuuuuuck, I had no idea Olive Garden was that bad.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

BB2K posted:

kinosaki in northern hyogo is pretty nice, just a bit far from everything

Worth going? I'm planning to take a friend there when I show her around Japan so I can fit her requirements for "I want to go to an onsen", "i want to go somewhere rural" (i couldn't find an airbnb in Saga lol), and "I know tattoos aren't ok in onsen but mine will all be covered by a swimsuit" (I will always treasure the look on her face when I disillusioned her about the swimsuit). Kinosaki is supposed to be tattoo friendly so seemed like a good choice.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

harperdc posted:

There are roads which can take you to more interesting places, and there are rice paddies to almost fall into while driving around. Some hot springs and one good festival.

Ok this is kind of reminding me of New Years Eve 1999/2000 when I tried to hitchhike from nagasaki to fukuoka with a friend and ended up speeding through the backstreets [back rice paddies]of saga with junior yakuza truck drivers on speed oh god i'm so old.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

“Junior yakuza truck drivers”

Tbh I never worked out whether they were or weren't but they seemed very keen for us to think they were

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

harperdc posted:

Like are we talking kei trucks or big old medium and heavy-duty trucks.

Small but not particularly kei. I'm beginning to think I was bamboozled.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

peanut posted:

Construction trucks are usually -gumi too, sounds like a nice time and fun memory for everyone ^___^

Tbh a lot more fun in retrospect than at the time, when it was more like "maybe I will die in a rice field in Shiga* from bad driving".

*Saga, not Shiga, though Shiga is the Saga of kansai.

slinkimalinki fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 29, 2019

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

captkirk posted:

my memory of his book is mostly dominated by the awkwardness of him describing getting fingered during a handjob at a Soapland).

Welp, now I don't need to read the book.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

captkirk posted:

I can't remember the name of the sento I went to when I was in Kyoto (it had Showa era wood carvings).

Sounds like Funaoka. They're apparently completely fine with tattoos

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Also if you're in Kyoto for three days you might want to look at going to Arashiyama. Monkeys are there too.

Autumn leaves in Arashiyama should be absolutely going off in late November, and it's possible at the moment it might not be absolutely gridlocked with tourists 24/7.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Wouldn't bathing in sake dry out your skin pretty badly?

Nah it's used as an ingredient in high- end skincare.
Assuming the bath isn't 100% sake.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i wonder what it was like being a taxi driver in tokyo before google maps was a thing, and when "turn right after the third family mart you see" was the best directions you could get or give

Wasn't that like 90% of the purpose of the neighborhood police box? Or was that just a myth - I usually relied on giving semi-incoherent directions

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Mons Hubris posted:

There is a garden in Nara that’s pretty close to the train station that I thought was stunning, I think it’s the Yoshikien Garden from a quick google, but it’s like something out of a movie. If you go to Nara it’s really worth visiting.

I like this place in Nara because you wander through the less touristed parts of the park (where the deer behave like deer rather than muggers) out the back into the suburbs and there's this random temple with a hall full of 1000 year-old statues that hardly anyone goes to.
http://www.shinyakushiji.or.jp/

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
The goon who is planning on going to Yufuin needs to go to Shimon-yu and check if it's still cool
下ん湯

Yufuincho Kawakami, Yufu, Oita 879-5102, Hapani
+81 977-84-3111

https://g.co/kgs/J6i7aF

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

ntan1 posted:

When you went how many non-Japanese tourists were there? I've always been iffy about kinrinko b/c there's usually a lot of Korean/Chinese tourists there. it's also a Tanjun Onsen, I'm spending most of the time in Yufuin at a luxury ryokan, like the 4 days before will all be dedicated to onsen already!

Lol sounds like it's probably not cool any more. I'm jealous of your luxury ryokan!

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

peanut posted:

Once I had to stand in the smoking car of a completely full shinkansen for 90 min

hail satan

Lol same. RIP smoking cars, you are not missed.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Has anyone used the ecbo cloak app for luggage storage? If so, was it a reliable way to find luggage storage?

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Hello,

I'll be going on a 3 week Japan trip soon.

Kyoto: 3 nights. I think some kind of guided bicycle tour is included. They also suggest daytrips to Nara or Koyasan.
Hiroshima: 2 nights
Osaka: 1 night before flying back home.

Either on the way from Kyoto to Hiroshima or on the way back to Osaka I'll hop out of the train to visit Himeji castle.

My main question is: for the additional full day in Tokyo, the travel info suggests one of three option: stay in Tokyo, make a day trip to Nikko, or make a day trip to Kamakura. What would you all recommend?

And basically, it's the same question for the other places. In any of the places I'll visit, any sights I really shouldn't miss? Good ideas to see some of the local culture, history, or ideas for nature hikes or long walks otherwise?

If you're going to do a day trip from kyoto, Nara is going to be a hell of a lot easier than Koyasan. Unless you want to spend most of the day on the train.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
There will be some garden stuff in sept/oct (red spider lilies etc) and there's some good autumn festivals (kishiwada danjiri, nagasaki kunchi etc) so you can definitely have a great holiday if you plan it right.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

bee posted:

Aaaaaa this makes me kinda sad I'm going in Dec/Jan but at least I get to go at all :)

There's always going to be something good to do! Even if it's only warming your feet under a kotatsu.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
I think osaka style but maybe I just got brainwashed when I lived in Kansai.

Hiroshima style is fun to watch being constructed though.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Eating rear end?

Jack Sprat would eat no rear end,
His wife would eat no peen?

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

So not goons, then? :v:

Unless poo poo has changed dramatically (which it might have) being a weird goon shouldn't be a barrier to teaching private English lessons. It's just that the clientele would also be weird, socially inept people.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Is there a viable slow train at any point between them? We were thinking of taking it a little slow and finding something quiet to do between the big cities if it's practical.

We like to get adventurous with food, love the outdoors, gardens, hiking, biking, that kind of thing.

Not that it's part of the plan, but my wife sees a place like Kamakura and she thinks it looks like her speed if she ever were to live in Japan. Kind of laid back.

I mean, you could get off the shinkansen in Shiga, which is notoriously quiet.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Revitalized posted:

What's cool to do in Fukuoka? I want to go visit the Nu Gundam over there but I figure I want to do more than that while I'm there.

(I'm thinking of arriving in Fukuoka and hanging around for a day or two before heading over to Tokyo)

FUK Coffee does really good coffee and also it's called FUK Coffee.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

To anyone who's been to the Gundam Factory Yokohama, are you able to buy entrance tickets to the facility itself (not the Gundam Dock Experience thingy where you get up close to the Gundam, just the factory) at the entrance itself, or do you have to prebook them online?

Yeah i bought them at the gate and it was really easy (though the staff seemed oddly sure that we wanted the gundam dock tower experience thingy). I think they have a good capacity so I don't think you'd have a problem getting in.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Tiny snort at the memory of a guy I knew who asked for "mo oppai kudasai" when trying to get a refill at a bar. Sadly they just gave him another beer.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

In Korea I once asked a woman at the market for jamji instead of chamchi.

Chamchi is tuna. Jamji is pussy (though probably closer to the ol' big C)

Oh god. Did you flee korea after that?

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

AHH F/UGH posted:

They do that to me regardless when I go to the blowjob bar, what gives

You're supposed to get an old lady with a megaphone to annouce your needs, like you're running for election.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
lol

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
A lot of youtubers/ instagrammers etc seem to be keen to convince people that overnight intercity busses in Japan are a cool experience that saves money and doesn't suck. I'm not sure if it's a prank or if they're being paid off.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Yeah, sorry. It's on ANA and we're flying in to ITM from Haneda itself. There's another flight that leaves at 6 pm. I paid extra to be able to change our flights, so I think I'll do it just to be safe.

I looked this all up before, but I'm just being extra paranoid as it's fast approaching.

Once we arrive to ITM/Kansai Airport, we plan to take the Nankai Limited Express from the airport to Namba. Looks like there are trains departing every few minutes...just to be safe, am I missing anything here? We're arriving on a Monday night, if that makes any difference.

Might be just the wording that's confusing me, but are you flying in to Itami or Kansai Airport? You'll be fine either way, but if it's Itami, your options are either faffing around with commuter trains or taking the bus, and the bus definitely looks like the best choice.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Nanigans posted:

ITM · Osaka Itami Airport

I don't know why I thought Kansai and ITM were the same. Welp. Yes, looks like airport bus is the way to go. Thank you for catching that!

Tbh it's kind of confusing because Itami is formally known as "Osaka International Airport" which is misleading at best.

Edit: as far as trains go, I looked into it a couple of years back when I was supposed to be flying into Itami, and came to the conclusion that the simplest answer would be to monorail to senri-chuo, and get one of the trains at senri- chuo that goes all the way through to Namba on the midosuji line. No idea if that was a good idea though. Someone in thread may have experimented with Itami airport and found the perfect answer.

Looks like you'll have time to catch the bus though, so probably a moot point.

slinkimalinki fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 29, 2023

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
All you need in the Inaka is a small selection of dad jokes that everyone can have a hearty chortle about.
Local (pointing): "ah, gaijin da!"
You (pointing back): "ah, nihonjin da!"

Guffaws, back-slapping, beers all round etc.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

go_banana posted:

Made the above post earlier, got some helpful suggestions. So helpful that it sent me into frantic research into Kyushu vs Shikoku. Finally after a week of researching I decided its better to take it slow rather than try and see everything. There is 3 nights between post towns - Tokyo we could head back, but it might be easier to continue through the Kiso Valley. We've also been able to extend our stay for 3 nights, so now leave HND on 17/12.

28/11 - Stay near Shinagawa Station
29/11 - Shinagawa to Osaka
30/11 - Universal Studios Osaka
1/12 - Mt Koya, perhaps leave main luggage at Osaka station and stay there overnight?
2/12 - Mt Koya to Fukuoka
3/12 - Fukuoka
4/12 - Fukuoka to Nagasaki
5/12 Nagasaki
6/12 Nagasaki to Nagoya
7/12 - Studio Ghibli (one of the last remaining days, would have preferred earlier or later in the trip but ah well)
8/12 - Post Towns, Magome to Tsumago , maybe stay there or Nakatsugawa
9 /12
10/12
11/12
12/12 Tokyo
13/12 Tokyo
14/12 Tokyo
15/12 Tokyo
16/12 Tokyo
17/12 HND to SYD

We have 3 days between the post towns and Tokyo. I was really keen on Shikoku but I am unsure if it is worth doubling-back for 3 nights only. Otherwise, we are near the Kiso Valley - any suggestions for 3 nights? Outdoors, romantic, off the beaten track. Happy to travel anywhere else in the surrounding area too. We've been to Takayama before, and spent 1 night in Nagano to see the snow monkeys last time.

I'm also unsure whether its worth stopping at Osaka or changing the route entirely that we start at Nagasaki and get the 7 hour train ride out of the way up front and make our way back up, any advice?

Depends what you want. Osaka's cool and I recommend the nakazakicho area near umeda - on one side of the road you've got the hipster, shimokita- style stuff and on the other you've got the old- school, downmarket area of the tenjinbashisuji arcade and its offshoots. I loving loved it and it's not a tourist hellscape like dotonbori (yet).

On the other hand every extra stop is a pain in the arse so it depends on your appetite for changing cities.

Btw the relay- shinkansen system from hakata to Nagasaki is kind of a hassle but Nagasaki is so worth it.

Someone needs to bribe the mayor of Saga to let the complete shinkansen track be built.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

bee posted:

Dammit, it's been 35 years since I got earthquaked too. We were walking from the Shukkeien Garden to Hiroshima station when it happened and didn't feel anything. Didn't even realise something was up til we got on the Shinkansen and there was a delay warning on the info screen thingy.

I gotta say, that's turning out to be an unusually strong jinx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Riptor posted:

Jimmy Kuruma

Jimi kuruma