Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ガス

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
the sushi is good, except when it's bad

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
the sushi is still good. If you don't like it then you're simply wrong.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
Is the best way to get cheap unlimited internet access on all your devices still to rent a portable wifi hotspot from one of the numerous companies that provide this service with English websites and convenient postal pickup from your arrival airport, such as global advanced communications? If possible please reply before my next trip to Japan which will probably be some time in 2017.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

ALFbrot posted:

Is there any place good to eat in Tokyo???? ??? ?

yes, there's a place that does amazing tonkatsu, it's the one with the name outside in kanji, just down the road from the curry place

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Hey, Y'all. I work for a company that finds employees for Japanese manufacturers in the US Midwest. My company was just asked to look for a candidate for a sales position located in Japan.

Our client wants someone with high-conversational Japanese (Think: can function using Japanese for work) who is currently in Japan. It's an entry level sales position with a company in the automotive industry. No specific experience is required but you will need to be convincing when you say you've always dreamed of being a sales rep in manufacturing. The position will transition to Indianapolis after a year of learning/working in a small city an hour outside Tokyo. If you're in Japan to teach and want to be in Indianapolis to do something else this seems like a good route to this former English teacher.

ftfy

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
Don't forget to go to an onsen to show off your new ink

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

not sure if I'm allowed to link to reddit but these guys might be better suited to your extremely vague request

https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytongue

くぉーと・ふぉあ・万

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Giant Ethicist posted:

(most) people read much more slowly than they can listen

You're underestimating people. In English, the average reading speed is something like 250wpm, while speech starts to sound fast above about 150.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
goonbatte kudasai

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Hey guys I have some questions maybe you can help me with.

I met my wife in Japan 2 years ago while I was over there teaching English for a semester. I'm now 32, she's 22. We started dating, got engaged, married, and she came over to the US via the K1 visa program about 5 months ago.

There are several issues that have come up since we got married and moved in together. I'm hoping for some goon advice from others in relationships, even if they're not exactly like this. Keep in mind she has been in the US officially for about 5 months. I understand there is a huge cultural change and learning curve, but some of this is crazy.

1) She still hasn't learned to drive. But not through lack of trying. She has extremely bad nerves, and every time she even gets in the driver's seat she freaks out and starts shaking and sweating. We tried parallel parking once and she just floored it while the E-brake was still on. I had to physically pull her foot off the pedal. We try driving at least half an hour a day and she's gotten no more comfortable with it.

2) Her English is pretty good, but she still prefers speaking Japanese all the time. My Japanese is alright, but I don't catch everything, especially slang and things like that. Many times after an argument she'll run into the bedroom, lock the door, and start yelling things at me in Japanese that I don't understand.

3) We are having some money issues - mostly tied to the fact that I'm the only one working. I'm a substitute teacher, and work is spotty at best. I also do work as a landscaper but it's winter so there's nothing going on. So finances are TIGHT right now. We've looked for work she can do from home until the driving situation is fixed, but most of it needs a way better understanding of English.

4) We still haven't consummated our marriage. The most she's willing to do is some stuff with her feet, no actual intercourse. This is a nerves thing again.

please stay out of my posting history

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

what happens after valentine's day!! the suspense is killing me!!!!

the whitest of white days

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
"Akita" is Japanese for "I got fed up with it". Probably just one of those coincidences though!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Thrasophius posted:

Looking to travel to japan this year, not really looking to travel about the place too much so would prefer to stop in one area. What's a good place to go to in Japan for someone who has never been?

Unless you dislike cities, you can't go wrong with Tokyo. You can find good examples of everything Japanese and/or international there, and there are easy day (or overnight) trips to places like Nikko to get up into the mountains and see historical stuff and so forth.

Kyoto is also good, and again there are plenty of day/overnight trips from there if you want to see stuff in the region without crossing the whole country; it's in easy reach of famous sights like Himeji Castle and you can feasibly reach Hiroshima if that interests you.

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 25, 2016

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Vidaeus posted:

Temples (recommendations?)

go to nikko, it's an easy day trip from tokyo. world heritage site, massive temple/shrine complex, has the original three wise monkeys.

failing that, sensoji in asakusa is deece.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

caberham posted:

Man going to a Soba bar in London was annoying. I waited 40 minutes in line and it turns out people go there on "special dates" and linger forever. It's just soba, and nothing fancy or exotic. gently caress those guys.

don't order japanese food in london, or any other eastern food that isn't indian

preferably just don't be in london in the first place

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
weirdos, in MY japan?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
Lol if you claim to want an authentic Japan experience and don't even confine yourself to a tiny compound in Nagasaki bay in accordance with the shogun's decrees

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

peanut posted:

I heard that traveler's checks have been replaced by prepaid cards.

Japan is a cash society so a credit card won't really be useable outside of hotels.

Exchange cash and/or use an atm on arrival.

It's not as bad as it used to be, loads of restaurants and such take credit cards these days. Which is nice if you have a good bank that doesn't charge a fee for foreign card transactions.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Jake Soo posted:

Why are Japanese people clumping the Nordic countries into one?

This happens to me constantly: I tell them I'm from Finland, get all the pleasantries and "ooh, I know this and that..". Then 2 minutes later I get asked, "So, I hear that in Norway/Sweden/Denmark..".

That's just the way people are in Asia.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
*running down street in bloodstained clothes waving dripping cleaver*
stop being frightened of me! I'm really friendly!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Phone posted:

On that note, can any one recommend me food to eat in Japan? I am allergic to the thought of fish, legumes, and soy products. Thanks!

Plain white bread and plain onigiri :yum:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
Just draw an anime face on it. Anything goes in Japan if it's anthropomorphised hard enough.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

The Great Autismo! posted:

why would you take a surfboard to an onsen

please don't waifushame

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
There's the genbaku dome, the peace park, the museum itself (but I wouldn't take a 7yo round that personally, a few of the reconstructions of the aftermath of the bomb are a bit nightmarish). Miyajima is a short ferry ride away and has deer and a pretty accessible mountain with cable car up and great views of the inland sea. There's other minor stuff but those are the main things people visit Hiroshima for.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah there's actually exceptions all over like places where the tickets are still only taken by a human etc. But that's out in the country enough that a tourist isn't likely to go.

But insofar as I know all the IC cards are unified.

nah, pretty sure there are still exceptions in popular tourist destinations, like the streetcars in hiroshima accept some regional ic cards but not suica unless they've changed that very recently. same thing in kanazawa iirc

i'd love to be wrong though, more unification would be great

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Stumbling Block posted:

In which case, is there any difference between Pasmo to suica or any of the other IC cards? Or are they largely all are accepted in much of the country and services?

Literally discussed just a few posts up. They're almost entirely interchangeable, with a few exceptions in some smaller cities.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
one time the winter storms got so bad I had to brush some snow off the car

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
peepee dokdo it is a bad country

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
Those are reasonable things to do. Drop in on Himeji on your way past.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
loving tourists, always wanting to see the famous things they're interested in instead of finding joy in scrutinising the unique pattern of roof tiles in this little side street in bumfuck inaka that no other gaijin has ever seen

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

prompt posted:

Wow I’ve never disagreed with anything more than your post. Tokyo boring for a few weeks? Then almost any other city in any other country gonna suck after a few days. Wow.

yes? hard as you may find it to believe, this is an accurate representation of what some of your fellow human beings experience.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Figures. I guess I just wonder if I’ll get a warmer reception by trying or not trying, but I’m there as a tourist anyway, so...

i generally get the impression people appreciate foreigners making an effort to speak their language even if they prefer to switch to english for actual results. if they overestimate my skills and i don't understand a word they're saying then looking blank and stupid generally works out ok too! most people are nice and want you to have a nice time and want to communicate with you so it's hard to go wrong as a tourist

you probably made the right call about the reservation tho. i made a restaurant reservation in japanese once, after carefully preparing a script so i wouldn't forget any important words. then we turned up at the restaurant and i was terrible at japanese on the fly and they didn't believe it could possibly be the same person and went and phoned their other location to ask whether they were expecting any foreigners who might have got lost. then they eventually gave us a table and asked, in japanese, whether we were ok with chopsticks. that was a fun evening.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Gatts posted:

I was actually going to do the opposite. Stay in Osaka but visit Kyoto. You would recommend the opposite?

i've done it this way round when the only reasonably priced accommodation i could find was in osaka, it was fine

but ... koyasan and nara in a single day? i also enjoy moving around a lot so i can appreciate what you're trying to do here, but koyasan is pretty remote. you're looking at like 6+ hours just on trains there, not allowing for the fact that the stations aren't right next to the sights. you'll basically have time to pop your head out of the bus on koyasan and say "yup there sure are some temples here" and then get right back on the bus back to the cable car. if you have any flexibility in your timing or budget you really should do koyasan as an overnight trip, stay at a temple, it's pretty neat, you can do nara on the way home the next day

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
yeah, the overall tempo looks fine if you're a high-energy sort of person, you just need to plan the second half as precisely as you've planned the first half and remember to look up actual journey times, because once you get out of tokyo/off the shinkansen the trains can be quite slow and infrequent.

don't forget, hyperdia will give you exact times for any rail trip you want to make, so you can play around with the options and see which areas you need to stay in to be near the right stations. like you can knock a chunk off the time to get to koyasan if you stay near namba station in osaka, which is where the fastest trains to koyasan leave from - but i think it then takes longer to get to kyoto instead. if you like micromanaging your time then it's a great site.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

What exactly are you after with piss alley and Golden gai? Mostly people want to check those for the little quirky bars and atmosphere, but honestly it’s literally around 90% tourists now, which isn’t the end of the world but be aware that you’re not getting your unique Japanese adventure.

problem: whenever tourists start going to a bar, the locals leave and it ends up being 90% tourists
solution: keep sending tourists to new bars and expecting it to somehow go differently this time

as a tourist, just admit you're not going to get a ~unique japanese adventure~ anyway. you're going to go to all the same places and take all the same photos as everybody else, and that's absolutely fine. if you have a friend who lives in the city and can take you somewhere they're a regular then that's one thing, but if you're just swinging by for one night and don't know anybody local then you might as well go to the tourist bars where the staff are used to tourists. you'll have a good time and it'll be less awkward for everybody concerned.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah I’m being facetious anyway.

But I’m also always legitimately confused when people talk about “going to Mt. Fuji” because from context people usually seem to just mean going close to it? A lot of people seem to not mean climbing it and I’m not sure what the point of going all that way just to look at it is.

mods please rename all threads in this subforum to ask/tell > tourism & travel > $PLACE: I'm not sure what the point of going all that way just to look at it is

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
why travel to japan at all when google street view exists

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's about a metric century with 1500m of combined elevation over the course of it, so yeah that would actually be a good workout.

but why travel all that way when there are gyms in Tokyo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

nielsm posted:

No.
You can get a regular ticket (at least for unnumbered seats) at the gate just before departure.
If you want a reserved seat, possibly with a railpass, you may need to be out the day before.

the only time i've ever had trouble getting a reserved seat immediately before travel on any japanese train was on the ltd exp out of takayama at the end of the spring festival. so if you're going to something stupidly busy like that then either reserve in advance or travel first class, otherwise it's fine