Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCRlejdOadU

I mean, the room would be empty 90% of the time so it doesn't cost them anything to let a popular youtuber stay there a night. Just free advertising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I’ve read in most parts of Asia it started after SARS but for Japan it goes back to the post war boom to avoid air pollution.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Aix posted:

japanese laundromats are awesome cause they have combined washing machines & dryers that also weigh your stuff and dose the detergent for you. all you gotta do is put your clothes in, pay the ¥400 or so and 80min later you have clean, dry laundry

you do have to take your shoes off first tho

What? Where?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You can dress yourself at a combini pretty much.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Well we wouldn't want tourists stealing our looks anyway.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Less than 50% of the population has had their booster shots so maybe they want to get that number up.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Boosted plus negative test = no quarantine.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Bring back 鎖国 imo.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

We are grandfathered in.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Fami socks and fami chicken is all we need.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Wear masks please.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I only have 100000 JPY on hand so dunno about getting a shinkansen ticket to Aomori or Kanazawa or even Nagoya where my JR Central friends are

Kanazawa. I lived there for 3 years so can tell you what to do if you need.

Nagoya is the dullest major city in Japan.

Aomori has apples I guess but I liked other parts of Tohoku more.

It all depends on how you have your trip planned out.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

yeah i'd appreciate it for kanazawa if i drop a few hundred on a shinkansen ticket there; off the top of my head there's the park, right?

and yeah last time i was in nagoya i was shown the maglev rail park/museum and the castle and... that's pretty much it? i wouldn't consider swinging by again if i didn't have friends there i haven't seen in years

Yeah, kenrokuen. Nagamachi, 21st century museum, ninja temple, DT Suzuki Museum, Higashi-chaya-gai, omicho market. You can get a JR pass and stop at other places on the way to Kanazawa too, like Karuizawa etc.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Ailumao posted:

if you like apples it's the city of apples. i stayed there one night in a ryokan with hot springs while going up to sapporo. it was fine for the day-ish we spent there. there's also a big paper mache float museum (i forget the japanese names for that thing) which was neat.

Nebuta. Maybe they’ll have it this year after being canceled last few.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

There’s still lots of radiation and earthquakes and stuff so I think you guys better place it say for a few decades.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

So how difficult is it to make your own "tour group". I was supposed to meet up with a friend in Japan a few years before covid and it didn't work out due to scheduling and I'm still mad about it.

If you’re asking this now by the time you’re ready normal tourists will be let in.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Full scale tourists for the Autumn I think.

At the very least we will know when it will happen by then.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I will say this.

Do not take a night bus ever unless money is that much of a factor and if you flew here it is most certainly not.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Ham Equity posted:

Wait, I was gonna fly into Narita and stay in Shinjuku when I visit (been on hold since COVID, but hoping for Spring of 2023)... Is this like a JFK/Newark situation, and Narita should be avoided?

I don’t know what that means but Narita is not in Tokyo.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

If you can be there for Halloween it's a great time.

Speaking of that. I am in the preliminary planning stages to do just that. Assuming it is open, of course. And I can get some things tied up on my end.

Flip over some cop cars in Shibuya.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

some kinda jackal posted:

I always choose to fly in/out of HND even if it’s a little more expensive because I can’t be assed to do NRT again.

Being super jetlagged always makes the monorail ride seem more fun than it actually is, and I always associate that loopy and hazy monorail ride with the awesome feeling of realization that I’m finally back in Japan.

E: Oh huh I just remembered I have to decide whether I want to bother with trying to get the drug form for my concerta prescription, or just do an ADHD drug free holiday. Anyone gone through this? Is it a huge hassle?

I’m googling that methylphenidate under 2g is permissible, and mine is 54mg so I could easily bring in enough for my 21 day trip, but the thought of going to prison for some miscommunication makes me want to look into the yakkan shoumei anyway. Have a long time to figure this out at least.

Google Yakkan Shoumei.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

AHH F/UGH posted:

Well, Ueno is also a mess, in like the sense that it's a dirty dump. But yes, it's not as confusing and fucky as Shinjuku.

Shinjuku is figuratively garbage, Ueno is literally garbage.

What?

What’s wrong with Ueno?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Lyndon LaRouche posted:

Alas, I'll be doing my trip the last week of July. We'll be driving from Onomichi into Shikoku.

Are you in Line chat Lyndon?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Also the gun appears to be homemade.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Oh no. That's terrible. Guess we will need to keep out tourists for another few years. Sorry guys.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Gabriel Grub posted:

There have been some large public events, and a small but growing number of people are foregoing masks because of the heat. But I mainly think it's just that the current variant is so transmissable.

Fortunately hospitalizations are still pretty low.

I have seen zero change in mask wearing in this heat outside.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i think i'd have went insane if i had to spend five nights at the onsen resort i stayed at in atami and at least atami station lets you get on the tokaido shinkansen to somewhere exciting

I also thought that was way too long but thought I might have been missing something.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

As long as the ryokan store is stocked with Asahi.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I will bring over goons.

For a price. ;)

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Please print your posts and mail them to your nearest consultant so I can bring you over.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Gabriel Grub posted:

No one had to go home. If you left, there was a period of a few months when you could not get back in. This applied even to permanent residents.

"Naturalized" means citizen; no restriction.

It was extremely hosed, yeah.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Well, speaking of weird long walks, touristchat, I have it in my head that I’m going to “walk the Yamanote” this time around. Mathematically it’s an eight hour walk by the numbers if I go my typical leisurely pace but I guess I should plan on breaking it up over two or three days so I can enjoy eating and looking at fun stuff along the way :haw:

Why would you wanna do that? It’s not picturesque.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I dunno, just to say I did it? :)

Sure. I suggest you do it next summer. Not as hot as people say. Trust me.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

harperdc posted:

Like I said, Digital minister Kono Taro was on Twitter saying

https://twitter.com/konotaromp/status/1562666716991086592

I don’t think he means spring 2023.

Daily entry just increased to 50k from the 7th.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

If you see a "rumor" in Japan it has already been 100% confirmed.

God I hope they let the gaijin in just in time for Shibuya Halloween.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Omerta posted:

Interesting development. We just finished booking our hotels today to make sure we could get our tour stamp. I guess we’ll hold off on that for a few weeks and pull the trigger in mid-October if that’s still a requirement.

We’re flying out on 12/20 and returning 1/1, so we don’t have a huge amount of time.

Did you preorder your KFC??

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

harperdc posted:

It’s only ‘being cautious’ if you believe that foreign tourists can’t follow the rules that locals (should) know and follow, because almost everything is thrown wide open for residents already - just wear a mask, and at sporting events/concerts/theater, don’t shout. If everything was similar to China now and there were still hard lockdowns, that’s one thing, but it’s not the case here. So why keep foreign tourists out?

They definitely will not follow the rules.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

harperdc posted:

Maybe, maybe not, but that’s not the point. It’s more insider-outsider logic from the Japanese government, and it’s not great.

You are telling me the Japanese government is being xenophobic?

I think I need to sit down.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I see the group tours are going well.

https://matomebu.com/train/rail20220916-1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

nielsm posted:

Last time I just bought something in a vending machine at the airport.

That was a pocari sweat.