Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

Whoa what, museums plural? There's more than the cup noodle one?

There's a ramen museum near Shin-Yokohama station, though it stretches the meaning of the word "museum". It's essentially a couple of ramen shops from around the country/world in a single building, and there's very little in the way of actual exhibitions. The interior of the building is dressed up as a mid-20th century Japanese town, which is pretty neat. Basically, it's a nice place if you're hungry for ramen and happen to be at Shin-Yokohama, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Sefal posted:

01/04/2017 Tokyo -> Mount Fuji -> Tokyo
02/04/2017 Tokyo -> Hakone -> Tokyo
03/04/2017 Tokyo -> Kyoto

Stay in/near Hakone for two or three nights and save yourself a bunch of long train rides.

Also, when you say "Mount Fuji|", you mean "gazing at said Mount from a distance", right? Early April is well before official climbing season.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Sefal posted:

2 weeks to go until i'm hitting up japan. Got my railpass already in. Spending the last 2 weeks learning Hiragana.
Looking forward to this.

If you're going to learn only one Japanese writing system, katakana is going to be more useful to you than hiragana when traveling. You're not going to see a lot of words that are written in only hiragana, but with katakana, you'll at least be able to tell where you can get a plate of カレー, or which way the nearest エレベーター is.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Sefal posted:

Oh. The guide im reading is recomending to 1st learn hiragana and then katakana. I can skip hiragana?

If you're actually trying to learn Japanese, sure, hiragana is the way to go. Most textbooks use hiragana to phonetically spell out words until you start to learn some kanji, and it's an essential part of grammar. However, in real, non-textbook Japanese, knowing hiragana isn't going to be much use unless you also know a fair number of kanji. There aren't a lot of words (let alone full sentences) that are written in all hiragana, most of it is a mix of kanji and hiragana. Katakana, by contrast, is mainly used to phonetically spell out words borrowed from English and other languages. If you can recognize and read katakana, you can at least decipher some signs and menu items, which seems to be what you are after?

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

It's not irrational to hate garbage though.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Too many slackjawed tourists acting like they've never seen a pedestrian crossing before.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

In summer you sit through the credits so you can enjoy an extra five minutes of airco.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

oh yeah the apa guy is a right-wing revisionist nutjob and you should boycot his hotels whenever you can

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Question Mark Mound posted:

There's a handful of caves around Yamanashi that my buddies and I would like to get to, but have no idea about the area. Are there tour buses that would get us around the Saiko bat cave, Narasawa ice cave, Motosu wind cave and Caverna de Omu?

The Bat Cave, Ice Cave, and Wind Cave are all serviced by busses operating out of Kawaguchiko. I don't know about Caverna de Omu, Google isn't turning up anything.

This page is pretty useful: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6911.html

The Wind Cave and Ice Cave are close together, Bat Cave is a bit further north. Hiking from Wind/Ice to Bat will take about an hour, and you can get a nice view of Fuji from Koyodai.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

TheEye posted:

- We don't have any hikes in here and I'm wondering if there's a way to change that. It would be great if there was somewhere we could stop along the way and do a hike or two up a small, quiet mountain, maybe one that has some small shrines on it or something? Is a place like that even accessible by train? If so, maybe we could do that instead of the third day in Kyoto. Maybe even make it two days, stay somewhere nice, and replace the night in Hakone also?

Kibune to Kurama is a nice half-day hike that's easily doable from Kyoto. It passes by a temple, and ends at a pretty nice onsen.

Mount Misen on Miyajima also makes for a decent hike if you skip the ropeway, and has a great view over the inland sea.

Near Tokyo, Mt. Takao and Mt. Mitake are two popular day hikes, both have various shrines along the way. Go on a weekday to avoid the crowds though.

Don't go to Ueno Zoo.

cave emperor fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 15, 2019

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

TheEye posted:

Oh, what's wrong with it?

Tiny barren cages with stressed out animals, mostly. Japanese zoos aren't great with the whole "animal welfare" thing in general, but Ueno's among the worst.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

ntan1 posted:

Fuji is also accessible by Express Train.
Fuji is also accessible by Local Train.
Fuji is also accessible by walking.
Fuji is also accessible by car.
Fuji is also accessible by airplane but you will probably also have the military try to shoot you down if you try.

Fuji is also accessible by highway bus, which is cheaper than train and doesn't take much longer, unless you get stuck in traffic.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Xad posted:

Anyone have any good recommendation for zoos in/around Tokyo? One of my friends' favorite animal is red pandas and I was thinking we could go to the Ueno zoo

Ueno Zoo sucks, a lot of the cages are just bare concrete boxes, and the animals are stressed and depressed as a result. Don't give them your money.

The only other one I've been to is Tama Zoo, which is a lot better, but still had a couple of puzzingly small enclosures, especially considering the amount of available space.

There's one on the outskirts of Yokohama that I forgot the name of which is supposed to be pretty good in terms of animal welfare, but it's quite far from Tokyo.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Stringent posted:

Kanazawa Doubutsuen?

We take the kids there a lot, it's decent. They've got a really good red panda enclosure.

I googled it, I was thinking of Zoorasia.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Bloodnose posted:

Just show up and get married and you're good to go,

just lmao if you cant find a waifu before your tourist visa runs out

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

highme posted:

Any suggestions on sites/calendars to check for live music, specifically hip hop or jazz in Tokyo?

For sources in English, there's Tokyo Gig Guide.

If you don't mind Japanese, eplus is pretty extensive, and you can filter by genre (jazz and hip hop).

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Martytoof posted:

Other than typical airport hassles, is there any reason to prefer the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto vs a domestic flight? Seems like the flights line up a little cheaper, and assuming I'm going to kill part of the day travelling either way this seems like something I might want to try next time around.

For Tokyo - Kyoto the Shinkansen is probably faster actually, plus it's 3000% more comfortable, plus you can eat and drink whatever you want, plus you don't have to arrive two hours in advance, plus you usually don't even have to book in advance, plus you get treated like a human being, plus it drops you off in the center of the city instead of some depressing suburb, plus it's probably way less terrible for the environment, plus ekibens.

From Tokyo, I'd do anything closer than Kyushu or Hokkaido with the Shinkansen instead of flying, even if it's slightly more expensive.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Bloodnose posted:

Zombie Land Saga just got renewed for a second season. It's a cartoon about how boring and lame Saga is and how much cooler it would be if there were zombies who did song and dance routines there.

It's also responsible for a not-insignificant boost to tourism in Saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

LimburgLimbo posted:

I have no idea if this is satire or not and I’m not going to look

it's a good show