Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Kyoto's slightly busier than it has been but nowhere near pre-COVID levels. Strap in for Wave 4 though friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Bofast posted:

We expect punctuality and avoiding things like arguments, exaggerations or excessive jokes during meetings
This sounds horrendous to me

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Aside from the slow start, which everyone knew would happen, the actual rate of the rollout right now is pretty good. A million a day might be possible if they start opening up to all age groups.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah I always consider Tokyo-Osaka to be like a "normal" train where you can just rock up whenever you like, it's that frequent.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I'm booked for the 10th of next month at the latest, but that cant be right, gaijin Twitter informed me that I'd be waiting until next year.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Owns

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

teddust posted:

The vaccine rollout did start slow, but most countries had minimal vaccinations the first few months it was available as distribution issues got sorted out. Vaccination rate has been solid during the summer months. Japan went from 3% fully vaccinated at the end of May then to 42% now. Obviously it remains to be seen if Japan stalls out after 50% like the USA.
Yeah, it's basically been going as fast, usually faster, than the US and UK were at their peak. There was a lot smirking by the Japan Understanders when they announced that they were aiming for a million doses a day, but they've been doing that consistently for a couple of months now.

Zettace posted:

Japan at the moment is experiencing a very serious 4th 5th wave and they just had a scare with contaminated Moderna vaccines so all doses are suspended for the time being which will further delay the vaccine roll out.

Edit: Correction: it's 5th wave. Not 4th.
It's only one batch of Moderna not all the doses.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

sale on Banksy art posted:

Several thousand young people lined up in 34 degree heat for 350 doses in Shibuya today. Does that sound like a system that is working?

-Signed a Japan Understander to a Dumb loving oval office
Mate I remember when you posted some vaccine numbers two months ago that showed the demand was cratering because you didn't understand that numbers get backdated every day. Ironically at that time you were trying to prove that the Japanese are super vaccine adverse and didn't want to get vaccinated, so you might not want to go around calling people dumb.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

harperdc posted:

the best idea they had - allowing big companies to get in on the act and vaccinate employees and also possibly family - was so popular they had to pull it back a bit because of supply issues.
Yeah I think this is pretty indicative of just massively underestimating demand. Although I'm not sure if prefectures are thinking about increasing capacity or even care now that 90% of the olds have been vaccinated.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Can't wait for the September holiday spike.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The US is a pretty low bar tbh, probably should've used coupons.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

sale on Banksy art posted:

And supply absolutely did fall when they cut off the corporate vaccination program. They literally ran out of vaccines. You can't give me that backdating bullshit about that.
Yeah, like I said it was an underestimation of demand and inventory fuckups between central and local governments. Even despite that the dosing rate didn't really drop significantly.

There's certainly an argument that capacity could be increased, but the speed of shots in arms has been higher than what the US and EU were doing at their peaks for like two months now. It's just straight up incorrect that the rollout is glacially slow right now in comparison to the rest of the world.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Thanatosian posted:

Also, the US is sitting on a seven-day average of new cases of 3661,
wot

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

captkirk posted:

I listened to Haruki Murakami's book on the gas attacks (despite his more usual weird work this was a series of interviews with survivors or their family members) with some context/details of events for context.

Basically a handful of cult believers brought packets of sarin gas wrapped in plastic bags/newspaper and left them in train cars, puncturing them with the tips of umbrellas before getting off the train. Then anyone left on the train car got to breath that in, one train station employee picked up one to dispose of it (he died IIRC), and at least one got pushed out of the train into the station (causing deaths in the station).
I recommend that Murakami book, it's the best thing he's ever done by a long way.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Eating while walking should be an instant guillotine.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Waltzing Along posted:

Over 67% vaxxed now.

Kids will start getting shots soon, too. Japan is gonna be over 90% fairly soonish.
Would love to believe this but it sounds like discosturecordsales.jpg

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Wow weird I thought the Japanese were extremely vaccine hesitant could my stereotyping have been wrong

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah hopefully, but demand's starting to drop now that cases have cratered. I think it will stall at around 80% with a small bump if cases start rising at the end of the month.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Reckon they might look at how bad the winter case bump is.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Doubt the situation is going to get better than 20 cases a day.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

If the company is sponsoring him I don't see why it's not possible. You don't really need fancy business lawyers either.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Martytoof posted:

I think I'm going to go ahead and cancel my May ticket pre-emptively. At this rate work is heating up and I don't want to have to keep news-watching to see if I have to cancel work stuff or travel stuff. Which is fine. Will re-book for the fall maybe.

If my goal is Tokyo/Kyoto again, what's the sweet spot for fall travel "hoodie" weather? Hoping to avoid balls-hot but also "ah crap I need a jacket" that I then have to stow every time I go inside. That's why I love post-golden-week, it's invariably been really nice for just "show up in a hoodie and eventually switch to t-shirt".
For Kyoto, probably around this time minus a couple of weeks.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Groverhaus, but with sashimi

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

It begins

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

WarpedNaba posted:

A friend of mine went, and he seems to be doing okay. Wife, three kids, time for hobbies etc.

Bastard is living my dream life.
Your dream life is 1950s American suburbia?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Gabriel Grub posted:

Are you assuming that the wife doesn't work, or that families were invented in America in the 1950s?
no

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Every white collar job is window gazing, embrace it imo

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Unfortunately it's infeasible for most people here too, the wage-productivity gap is shockingly bad.

Edit: caveat being that I love living in big cities

Charles 2 of Spain fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 9, 2022

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Small medium organisations I think

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

It's cold as balls tho

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

In my experience 90% of students are doing the tourist thing anyway.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yes.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The best travel ban tweets are those that are in dismay about missing out on world-class education at a Japanese university.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

spiderbot posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but my partner is learning Japanese and wants to practice reading kanji, and he's recently started to get into cooking. Is there a Japanese equivalent of Jamie Oliver/ Delia Smith etc. who writes cookery books for learner cooks?
Not sure about famous chefs, but maybe he could try looking at recipes on the NHK website/Cookpad?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Looks like they're going to do small trial runs with package tours then slowly open it up if successful.
https://www.fnn.jp/articles/-/356580

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

totalnewbie posted:

Hop down to Fukui and visit the dinosaur museum. it's loving awesome.
Seconded

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Well it was a nice 2.5 years of getting a seat on the bus.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Come before October before alcohol prices increase.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Stay overnight imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

It's mainly because there's been comparatively less cases in previous waves.