Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Is there any place good to eat in Tokyo???? ??? ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Phone posted:

I ate McDonalds in Osaka, it was really salty (and had an egg).

Coco Ichiban: literally #1, accept no impostors, etc.

A friend of mine tried to recommend that I go to "Coco curry" over voice chat, and raved about how good it would be.
I went into a Go!Go!Curry, because I thought I had misheard it, and it was just ok. Imagine my surprise when, weeks later, I stumbled upon a CoCo Ichiban and ate that poo poo, holy drat it was so good

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Last time I was in Nagoya I got chased out by an old man yelling at me because he thought I was American. Ymmv though.

Chased out of what? Nagoya? I'm really enjoying the mental image of a grumpy old japanese man following you, angrily yelling, making all the same train changes as you, until you're in Gifu or something

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Early 90's music video with a man diving through a wedding cake and a guitar solo in the desert, you say?

Well, I may not know a lot, but there are definitely a few bakeries around town, some of which I'm sure have been around since the early 90's probably, and cake is a type of dessert, which is like desert! Hope this helps.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Nobody in Japan has a fish allergy, because the instant a child with a fish allergy is born, they shrivel up and wither to dust instantly

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
please post pics of wife feet, we need more info to properly help

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Bring your own bowl, ask them to put the ramen in it instead. Eat it while walking down the street.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

peanut posted:

Big souvenir bowl with a neck strap

Use one of those souvenir Duffy the Bear popcorn buckets from DisneySea

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Please don't mis-pluralize Carp, it is very upsetting

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

extravadanza posted:

Stopped by Critical Hit in Nagoya tonight for a few drinks and some Mario Kart. Great bar if you want to play some classic games. Thanks for the recommendation, Phone. Will probably return before I continue on to Kyoto on April 10th. Maybe we will run into each other there...

Haha, that place is like a 4-minute walk from where I worked for a month and a half, and I never knew about it. :(

edit: Oh, according to street view, it didn't exist as of April 2014. I was there in September-October, maybe it just didn't exist yet.

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 29, 2016

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Don't do things you think look fun and enjoyable, instead just drink Strong and drunkpost in LINE

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

The subway maps are a joke. Some have a compass. North is always a different direction. Sometimes to the right. Sometimes down. Sometimes it's impossible to figure out because the station is a cross and there is no compass. Good times.

lol

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Take the bus to Roppongi, drink a lot, wear a headband

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Soricidus posted:

Just draw an anime face on it. Anything goes in Japan if it's anthropomorphised hard enough.
Yeah, play it off as a regional mascot from wherever you're from

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
lmao at someone arguing that Tucson loving Arizona is a place that should not be summarily obliterated smdh

lmao at someone arguing that Skyline Chili is an argument FOR Ohio smdh

lmao at someone arguing that it is ok or reasonable or good to book travel that lays over in China smdh

Thank you thread you have been very amusing

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
If you are planning a trip to Japan and cannot afford to take shinkansen, I submit that you cannot afford a trip to Japan

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Onigiri is mankind's greatest achievement

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

.Z. posted:

I'm assuming goony is less bad than being a goon, so I'd say goony.

But I'm curious what sort of social behavior would classify someone as a goon.

I think you've lost your invite to the party

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Being "a goon" just means "registered poster on the Something Awful forums"
Being "goony" means you're a socially intolerable misanthrope who labors under delusions of being the edgy funny guy in a group, or you are a wreck of a human who lurks around gawking at any member of your chosen sex, or you know not the basic tenets of social interaction regarding personal hygiene and space, or you're the 30-something who never quite moved on from their days quoting Monty Python in middle school, or, or, or..

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

ALFbrot posted:

Being "a goon" just means "registered poster on the Something Awful forums"
Being "goony" means you're a socially intolerable misanthrope who labors under delusions of being the edgy funny guy in a group, or you are a wreck of a human who lurks around gawking at any member of your chosen sex, or you know not the basic tenets of social interaction regarding personal hygiene and space, or you're the 30-something who never quite moved on from their days quoting Monty Python in middle school, or, or, or..

turn on youre moniter lol

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Nara will be the only thing a 7-year-old girl will ever want to think or talk about for years afterwards, it's a slam dunk.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

photomikey posted:

Why? I love this idea though.

Being surrounded/swarmed by adorable deer you can pet and feed is an awesome and cute thing that I tend to believe a 7-year-old girl would be very into. Unless she's afraid of animals?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Lost Rivell posted:

Question about flights, if anyone has experience with this: My girlfriend and I are planning on doing a ten day trip sometime in February.

We haven't booked anything yet, but our choices seem to be taking a direct flight from NYC to Narita or Haneda for around 1000 a person, or doing an hour stopover in Beijing for ~$600.

Neither one of us have international flight experience, so we'd like to know if the transfer in PEK is simple enough, or should we eat the extra cost and not deal with transfers at all?

Absolutely make sure that your layover is long enough. I can't speak to Beijing, but my wife had a two-hour layover at Shanghai Pudong. Two hours is absolutely a sensible amount of time for any transfer to happen at any sensible airport in any sensible country in the world, so naturally she missed the flight. Her plane landed, then taxied to the furthest spot on the tarmac and waited for a bus to collect all the passengers, which took more than one trip. It took forever for the baggage to get loaded, all the other passengers were wildly shoving to get on the first bus, and then she had to go through customs and collect all her baggage. By the time she arrived in the terminal proper, an hour had passed. The woman at the United desk told her, curtly, that they stop check-ins for flights 60 minutes before takeoff, so she wouldn't be allowed to the gate, and then she turned and walked away, leaving my wife helpless. It took hours before other United staffers actually started their shift and helped her find another way home, which ended up being the same flight the next day. She spent 24 hours in the terminal, with all her luggage, sleeping on benches.

Is there any itinerary you can make that gets you cheap flights and longer than an hour to make the transfer?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

LimburgLimbo posted:

Beijing made me go through customs and security for a transfer. Shanghai on China Eastern didn't. Beijing was pretty slow and lovely and mainland af and China air sucks balls.

But it's also cheap so whatever.

Yeah, maybe it's a domestic vs. foreign carrier thing. My wife's disaster occurred while trying to connect on a United flight. Maybe if it's a Chinese carrier you don't have to pass back through customs?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I can vouch for the planetarium/science center.

Also, "eat chicken wings" was mentioned, but specifically eat the tebasaki wings at Sekai no Yamachan. You will not regret it, unless you would regret constantly wanting to eat them for the rest of your life.

edit: Note that there are locations of Sekai no Yamachan elsewhere in Japan, but they are EVERYWHERE in Nagoya, as that's where they're originally from. That is also why they have a ton of misokatsu stuff.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

Sounds like I should give it a miss.

Speaking of drinks, I know that liking sweet things is considered a more feminine trait in Japan but just how weird is it for a man to drink something that isn't either beer or whisky over there? I always got handed my friend's beer when we all ordered together. Eventually just started owning it at bars and asking for the absolute sweetest cocktail they could make (ended up with a great chocolate banana milkshake kinda thing at a bar called Jayco in Shinjuku).

Did you know that beer is good?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

peanut posted:

University of Tokyo is the #1 most respected school in Japan. Even their undergrad is intense. Absolutely go for it.

You could also look at Tokyo Institute
of Technology (TIT).

I like to look at TIT

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Magna Kaser posted:

I am gonna spend almost every day walking around eating random stuff. I'm very boring on vacation.

Yes, it is much more interesting to be a person who books dozens of tours and sticks with a group of people on an itinerary that allows them no freedom of experience

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

caberham posted:

Is Guardians of the galaxy out in Japan yet
Yes for several years

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

caberham posted:

The new one

I don't know

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

LimburgLimbo posted:

Guardians 2 is like 5/12 or something right? Just a week late or so.

Edit: wait never mind I thought it was 5/5 US release for some reason

It is

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Is there a place that collects stories of weebs and sex tourists who are deeply disappointed that Japan isn't what they always dreamed? I'm aware of /r/weeabootales but that's mostly "some guy in my college class wears a naruto headband LOL"

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I have a Manaca card because my Japan life started in Nagoya :cool:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

That Initial D machine is in Sega Joypolis in Odaiba. Prepare for massive queues. Shinjuku and Akihabara in general are good for arcades, and Anata no Warehouse in Kawasaki has a really cool aesthetic.

Also be prepared for the hydraulic platform movements to not really match what you're doing with the car. It felt completely wrong and straight up ignored many of the turns I took.

leather fedora posted:

This only applies if you'll be in Japan before July 17, since they'll be closing it down after then.
What the gently caress!!!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

photomikey posted:

Can't remember the name of the place, surely there's more than one, but we ordered sushi on a knockoff iPad and then a few minutes later it came shooting out on a conveyer belt that stops directly in front of your seat and once you remove it it gets sucked back into the kitchen. This is like 6 y/o crack, I think my daughter would have eaten a plate full of dog crap if she got to order it up on an iPad and a robot sent it shooting out on a conveyer. Six months later and every time we go out to eat I get to hear about how much nicer it would be if they had a conveyer belt and an iPad here.

Kappa Sushi does this, with the sushi coming to your table on little shinkansen. The sushi is acceptable, so long as you have not had other, better sushi on your trip (I hadn't, so I liked it)

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

P-Mack posted:

Yeah, doing that too, should be in okayish shape for basic tourist purposes, I hope.

You could learn zero characters or words and be in okayish shape for basic tourist purposes

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

unbutthurtable posted:

Also I just downloaded line. Is it worth joining the group for a couple days? If so, how do I join?

Definitely do this, and leave notifications on, and turn your ringer all the way up

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Please expose the shamefulness of the merch requested, thanks

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
well that link is extremely unsafe for work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
This one is pretty good http://a.co/dHGRxIM