Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
English teacher chat might better be corralled into this thread.

As far as I know the OP is still relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 12, 2016

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

caberham posted:

Citibank ended operations in Japan last November as far as I know. Just a minor tidbit. But really guys, if you have trouble getting money you shouldn't fly anywhere. It's as bad as not knowing how to wipe your rear end

I cannot for the life of me, regardless of crimes committed and oaths spoken, imagine how someone becomes so welded to China while also becoming so embedded in Japan.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Literally everything in this film is still true.

The Japanese are basically the same.

Foreigners, try not to be a huge loving douche (copyright 1957)

Everyone gets to have fun and perhaps sexy times.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

How exactly do you get access to your money in Japan if you're not wanting to pull it from your credit card (thus incurring immediate interest hits) and would rather pull it from your bank? Do people just set up an account with a bank which has branches there? It's a silly small practical question with a likely obvious answer but everywhere I'm reading about this people are just saying to use the 7/11 ATMs with a credit card which is an instant 17% surcharge.

Walk around with thousands of dollars in your pocket and don't worry about all that bullshit. Always worked for me.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 26, 2016

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Lemmi Caution posted:

Walk around with thousands of dollars in your pocket and don't worry about all that bullshit. Always worked for me.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
There are also cheaper regional JR passes if your parents aren't leaving the Kanto area.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
There are two prefectures: Tokyo and Inaka.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
When you're clipping your nails at your desk in front of everyone at work, you have to show your best.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Stringent has never left Tokyo and has no idea what he is talking about. Don't listen to him. Travel West Japan.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Unfuckingbelievable!

Maybe the Cubs will win the World Series.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I am a goon and goony. That's a long way in the future dude.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The biggest problem I see is the short term of stay. It seems that most leases are for two years. So at 18 months they might be stuck in a monthly or with one of the gaijin specialty agencies.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
You should also take into account the freedom of the pass to hop onto whatever train whenever you need to.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

You spend a couple years, in the US, getting certified, and then a couple more years getting experience so you can apply for the international schools in Japan. And by then it's Kanye's America.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I assume it's a little Michelin starred place? They don't want people reserving from abroad and then not showing up and blowing their revenue for the night. A legit luxury hotel will take care of it for you. Failing that you need a local contact.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
You need to check out with the city office where your residence is registered, because they're going to want their local inhabitants tax. If you don't square that away it could be an issue for future visas.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Eastdrom posted:

Just finished 5 nights in Nozawa Onsen and i don't want to go home.

What was the name of the place you stayed?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Eastdrom posted:

We stayed at Villa Nozawa, which is one of 4 places owned by some aussies.

Haha, cool. We do some tax work for them. I work with all these Aussie ski lodges and am tempted to go stay at one even though I don't do snowsports.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Seems good to weigh also that in addition to Shinkansen stuff, the JR Pass lets you get on any local train any time you want without buying tickets or keeping a IC card charged. It is very convenient and could be the difference between making your train or not.

The convenience alone makes it worth it to me even if the cost of trains doesn't quite meet the price of the pass.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
That's right. Outside of Tokyo and Osaka I've never dealt with many non-JR trains. Depends on your itinerary.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
飲む(P); 呑む; 飮む(oK); 服む(iK) 【のむ】 (v5m,vt) (1) (呑む is often used metaphorically; 服む is often used for medicine) to drink; to gulp; to swallow; to take (medicine)

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Caberham made Tokyo goons walk past 9,000 bars in search of one specific forgettable microbrew place.

It had nothing to do with Shibuya and everything to do with the absurdity of looking for a place to have a beer in Tokyo.

You can drink anything within five minutes in Tokyo; you insisted in making that an ordeal.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
There are two Matsuyama Castles. I've been to them both. One is in Okayama.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Put a futon on the bed and another futon on you if you're cold.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I requested Okayama and got it. Putting Tokyo, Osaka, or Kyoto is pretty much the same as leaving the request section blank.

If you actually research somewhere rural you would like to be placed and request it there is a good chance it will be taken seriously. The vast majority of JET placements are rural, so prepare yourself for that and make some realistic requests if there is somewhere outside the big cities you might actually want to live.

The people at the consulate definitely don't pay attention to your requests because they don't do placements, just organize the interviews. Your board of education picks you from the pool of people who got good enough scores from the interviews. Anything in the application, including your placement requests, are fair game though. So lesser known rural town, probably good. (That's interesting, tell us why you are interested in this place.) Tokyo, probably get a skeptical response. (Everyone asks for Tokyo. Will you decline an offer in the likely event you are not place there?)

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I’m a jet in Tokyo and I have no problem living in Tokyo and saving money. I go out every weekend and travel as much as time allows. I do cook my own food during the weeks though.

My rent and utilities were 20,000 in total.

If I had been placed in somewhere like Tokyo, I wouldn't have been able to pay off my student loans.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 13, 2017

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I live next to an apartment building-based AirBnB that got shut down. Foreigners live in this neighborhood; that is not the problem. Being forced to share a building with tourists treating it like a hotel is the problem. No one would knowingly sign a lease under those conditions.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Uh, if you never canceled your visa, you have a big tax bill waiting for you.

E: I guess it’s possible you reported your departure with your city office and settled up with them, but then didn’t surrender your residence card at immigration for some reason.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 24, 2018

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

What channel is the Super Bowl going to be on tomorrow morning?

It's on subscription services NHK BS1 and Nippon TV G+, and on streaming service DAZN. You can probably sign up to an introductory month of DAZN and watch.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The big problem with Japan is they are too explicit in making people agree to revolving credit arrangements when the correct way to do things is have a college drop out swipe a piece of plastic to make ends meet until something forcibly stops them.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Why do you think people are going to be looking at her license? Do you think people without a driver's license aren't allowed to travel?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Original_Z posted:

Fuji-Q is almost impressive at how poorly it is run. You'll see a line that would be 30 minutes at a normal theme park have a queue time of 2 hours minimum. It's just so poorly run, they'll send cars out without trying to fill out single seats, and the boarding and unboarding takes an unnecessarily long time since you have to wait for the people to disembark, take the stuff from the storage lockers, leave the platform, then see the next group put their stuff in the lockers, and then be put in. It's absurd, and from what I remember they only run one car at a time. Even on weekdays during non-busy seasons you'd better be prepared to pay for fastpass tickets or you'll never be able to ride everything you want to.

It's a real shame because the rides are fantastic, I'm really amazed that management seems to have no interest in improving the queue system.

Japanese people. LOVE. QUEUING.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Glad that all this retarded poo poo has been contained to Akiba.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
You can schedule a redelivery online or by phone if you miss it. They'll leave a missed delivery slip.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I can do online furikomi.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

caberham posted:

I still haven't been taken to an Izakaya where I feel like a Unique Tourist Snow Flake with Japanese speaking internet friends guiding me across the country

Wow, this is bullshit and you know it.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

There is no doubt that these maricar companies are counting down to the day that they wipe out a pedestrian, or get wiped out by a truck because they are invisible to trucks.

Wow, how can you oppose having some fun in Shibuya, the transit hub where millions of people have to commute and do business every day?

It's the heart of a city, not a theme park. This poo poo is going to correct, probably after some people get hurt. I'm just a bitter gaijin though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
As the old saying goes: It’s not so much the heat, it’s the swamp rear end.