Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Definitely put all your money on black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

StabMasterArson posted:

Will be staying in Tokyo for 10 days next month, our apartment is in Ikebukuro. Can anyone recommend some places to check out or avoid around there? Is it worth getting a 7-day train pass? We'd like to check out Akihibara and Harajuku etc but not sure if the passes cover that. Am I going to straight up die from the heat?

Unfortunately you are going to die from being 300 pounds, but at least it will be in Japan.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Many localities are adding their own requirements on top of the new national law that are basically designed to shut down airbnbs. Like only allowing rentals on weekends or during school holidays.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Not everybody's made of money.

All mine are still listed so seems good to go.

Only the incredibly wealthy visited Japan before, oh, two years ago.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Richard M Nixon posted:

Tokyo station... an easy start to the mornings.

Lol

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

harperdc posted:

you're confused with Shinjuku Station. by comparison, Tokyo Station is dead simple.

(don't ask about the tangle of metro stations surrounding)

Cape Town South Africa is safe compared to Syria.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I like the surprise five flights of stairs you have to climb if you transfer to Fukutoshin Line.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Kohai, Sempai, and Bucho.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
You could make friends with someone who lives on the Sumida River and get invited over to drink and watch fireworks from their house/apartment. Good luck.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I checked Japanese websites and there are tons of rooms, even for this weekend. So your problem might be that big resellers like expedia and booking are booked up, not the hotels themselves.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

CovfefeCatCafe posted:

would I still be at the bottom of the stack in terms of pay/placement.

Good news, there is no stack.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

harperdc posted:

aaaaaaaand this is how I know you're trolling. JFC.

Actually no one gives a gently caress.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Hey doodz I'm half retarded but have access to a vagina. Aside from Matsumoto Kiyoshi, Don Quixote, every drug store in Japan, and most convenience stores, is there anywhere I can buy loob???!!!

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

You can buy 2L bottles of lube from Amazon JP and have them delivered to any address in Japan, or a combini nearby to pickup when convenient. Just sayin'.
Also most drug stores sell baby oil, not lube. Using the former in place of the latter can cause yeast infections. Of the places you listed, Don Quixote is the only one likely to sell actual lube.

Also lol @ being mistaken for a Chinese person by a Chinese person? What am I missing, most Japanese people can't tell the difference between Asia-born Asians and America-born Asians either. I don't really see how that's limited to Chinese employees, could just as easily have been a Japanese employee trying to speak English to some white Russian person.

I’m going to take pictures of lube in every store I find myself in. This is my life now.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Capsules are gender segregated so I'm not sure why you guys are even mentioning it.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The used panty vending machines are mostly a myth, sorry.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I heard there's a room in Kabukicho with all the Japanese titties.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I've been to a TGI Friday's in Tokyo where the waiters had tattoos.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I have had 3 flights come in multiple hours late to Narita due to maintenance issues on US based airlines. 3 times stranded at an airport hotel or partway to my destination because of the extreme lateness of the flight. No more US carriers for me.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

prompt posted:

I only fly economy and have had access to a full spread of liquors on every flight between Japan and North America.

That is until you don't have access anymore at some point between Japan and North America.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Mom and dad want to try again with the Japan tourism trip. I’ve put on a few pounds and I’ve always been pretty butch in appearance. Would I have any issues socializing or getting attention? I know that Japan has a bit of a thing about being overweight or any sort of gender non-conforming.

You will be the top headline for weeks after you visit. Everyone in Japan will be thinking about you for months, if not years, after your visit. You are very, very special.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Stringent posted:

Japan's still p far behind on that kind of stuff, but probably no worse than like Indiana or something.

I would bet your chances of getting beat up are a lot higher in Indiana.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

:waycool: All I needed to know, thanks. I’m sure my trans status would go over well too.

What is the point here? A Japanese woman who thinks a man is in a ladies toilet tells a man to gtfo. You think this wouldn't happen in America?

If you're trans and passing, perhaps you should apologize to your friend for every poo poo you take without being harrassed.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 28, 2018

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I don't know about Florida, but Tokyo Disneyland is almost completely identical to Disneyland California in terms of attractions.

Disney Sea is mostly attractions that are unique among the Disney theme parks.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Anta wa dare?!

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Nobody actually says this outside of video games n poo poo

And Nichoume.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The owners of all large businesses in Japan are horrible racists, the APA guy just wrote it down in a book.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The breadcrumb trail of signage often breaks which is why people get lost in unfamiliar stations, even residents.

But my favorite thing is in Tokyo all the private lines have signs pointing in the direction of the specific platform for the specific line. Not JR. JR signs are just a generic "JR lines this way." Which means loving nothing to a tourist trying to find the Joetsu Line or whatever.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

caberham posted:

Of all the travel threads and my experiences of meeting goons. Japan just attracts the gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooniest

Enough about you.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I have never played the game, but the main neighborhood it takes place in is apparently based on Sangenjaya, which is a pretty normal residential area with lots of restaurants and shops that a lot of college kids live in.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Jinbocho has stores with English books as well, although that may be of more interest to locals. Probably no reason for tourists to lug English books back home, but who knows. You want to get the guide map from the information center near the station. There are over a hundred book stores in that area.

A lot of stores have collections of old Showa era stuff that is really interesting to browse if you're into that. Just don't go on Sunday, most of the shops are closed.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Your plan seems perfectly fine except I still don't know why everyone plans a blank week in Tokyo. I mean, there is definitely a week's worth of stuff to do in Tokyo, but don't dedicate a third of your trip to it if you don't have any idea what you want to do.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
You're going to have to narrow it down from "Tokyo" if you want real recommendations.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I just passed through Sangenjaya Station a lol at some poor tourists trying to board this fucker with luggage.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
According to trustworthy blog realestatejapan.co.jp the stretch between Sangenjaya and Shibuya is the sixth most crowded in the greater Tokyo area.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Kreez posted:

Two questions:
1-I'll be in Tokyo for 3-4 days next week and we're planning on just working through a big ol' list of places to eat, drink, and shop we've compiled over the past few weeks. That being said, we will have a day of use left on our JR East rail passes, so we could do a "free" day trip somewhere in their territory. I never really bother much with single day trips, but I don't know Japan at all, so maybe there's something that just can't be missed if it's effectively a free train ride?

Kamakura might be worth looking into.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
A day in Kamakura with a stop to see the evening skyline in Minatomirai on the way back sounds quite nice actually.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Don't trust any itinerary that doesn't tell you to skip Kinkakuji.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
No one ever goes to Shikoku but it is samurai as hell and I’m pretty sure no Chinese has ever set foot there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Sounds like you've discovered Happoushu.