Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I know I talk about my pops too much, but he just posted somethin cool on facebook:

quote:

Here is an example of big time racing on a ridiculously tight budget. This is a photo of a my little two car garage in Rosamond CA in 1983. What you see in the picture is a 1982 March Indy car with a steel beam bolted to the back. we were testing the torsional rigidity of the car.

I made a deal with the car's owner, Doug Schultz, to run the car in a few CART races that year. My crew included two of my friends who were veteran race car mechanics like myself, Ashley Page and Marshall Smith. In my garage at my little tract home I had a TIG Welder, a parts washer, a drill press, a hydraulic press, a floor jack and hand tools. 2 weeks after this photo was shot we finished 6th at the CART race at Riverside with driver Tom Klauser.

I'm talking about racing with the big boys here, Penske, Patrick, Bignotti, Kraco, Newman Haas. I can't believe we did that!

Heres another shot of the car, the yeller one:

Perty dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

if i won the powerball, i would be all like 'nicenice' and invest it conservatively and not in racing

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Helicon One posted:

I'd restart the ChampCar World Series and fund a team for Mark and Sheri Plourde.

Sabotage the whole field except for Sheri Plourde in the first race, let her win, then disband the series.

The fact that he doesn't even let her win his imaginary racing series that exists only in his head is... telling.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think they really are straight up intermediates, from what ive read. Firestone doesnt make the real wets anymore because a lot of the tracks dont have any drainage, so any real rain means a track shutdown anyway. So they ended up with big stacks of unused full wets every year, which just get thrown away.

Wish we had some of those real wets last year though, felt like we were rain delayed every goddamn weekend at some point.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like Ganassi will be back with 4 cars potentially with Chilton, Saavedra looks like he has enough money for a full season ride but isn't confirmed anywhere yet, and Karam is probably going to run a limited effort with DRR including Indy.

There's your really tame silly season status recap.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Im ok with the engine formula staying, but I did wish they sounded a little better. They don't sound bad at all, but they don't sound super cool like the old Cossie V8s or the F1 V10 era or anything.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CFH potentially losing the F and H. And a car.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/125550-indycar-fisher-hartman-partnership-in-jeopardy

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BMB5150 posted:

Also CFH is no more its back to Ed Carpenter Racing with Josef Newgarden and another car for Ed at the ovals.
Sucks for Sarah, but glad the team is continuing intact. Bet Josef is glad he only signed a 1 year deal.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ex-driver Alex Lloyd has some interesting words for IndyCar.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/heres-how-to-make-indycar-great-again-195807034.html

I can't say I disagree with a lot of it, and I think that concept is pretty cool. He assumes it would be spec, but I don't think it really has to be. Could do something similar to the aerokits, but just cut back a lot.

Also Karam got a ride... in GTD.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Peanut President posted:

I mean, race cars are pretty loving loud and not everyone likes car racing. I love the NHRA but I wouldn't want a top fuel drag car to do a run through my front yard.

For 3 days a year, you prolly would. That would be dope, you wouldnt have to pay for tickets or anything.

But ferreal the race is around the convention center, it's not really in many people's front yards. Also IndyCar's aren't even that loud anymore. People just like to complain. They weren't able to get it shutdown in other ways, so now they will complain about noise... even though Red Sox after parties are probably 20x louder.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 30, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Alain Post posted:

Wonder if any team might take a punt on the best available open-wheel driver on the market, Big Pastor Maldonado.

I imagine he lost his gig cause the oil prices tanked PDVSA's extra cash, but IndyCar is something like $4m for a season ride as opposed to $20m or whatever in F1...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Human Grand Prix posted:

It seemed last year was particularly bad.

Last year wasnt bad, it just always seems that way. People forget the years of Sato and Viso crashing twice a session... sometimes on the same team! :v:

Last year was annoying because every tiny touch lead to broken wings and poo poo all over track, especially at the early races before the series made Honda/Chevy change their wings.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BMB5150 posted:

Speaking of aero mods, wonder if Aleshin was allowed to post this and hope that is a roll hoop I see and not an airbox with the lack of rear bodywork on it.

In the proud racing tradition, they straight took Chevy's entire design.

2015 Honda, 2015 Chevy, 2016 Honda.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 2, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hell yes, the yellow lightning bolt is back. People been wanting that forever.

By the way, Honda just confirmed that their 3 year option ('18, '19, '20) will auto-excercise on December 1st of this year. It's not a 1 year rolling deal situation.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 2, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/ConorDaly22/status/694601744198844416

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

Cygni, that clown Sasha posted again.
But what of his sweet insider info??

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GM did run the Oldsmobile name in Indycar after they announced they were killing the brand, which was pretty funny

I think that was only for like a year before they changed the Chevy name, but since the teams owned the engines in the IRL and it was the last year of the engine cycle, the blocks still had OLDSMOBILE on the side for an extra full year. Delightful.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

George Zimmer posted:

So did anyone else not get the Indy 500 commercial during the Super Bowl? Nothing here in Philadelphia.

It was only on in the midwest apparently.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Or they realized someone in Hawaii is unlikely to buy tickets for the 500.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/news/a28129/anti-hillary-clinton-indy-sponsor/

this is the funniest

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

chilton mobile:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

and speaking of him, here's Chuckys car right now:

not sure what novo nordisk product they are planning to put on it? color scheme doesnt match any of the other ones they've run. maybe its not approved yet or somethin (like what happened with the "Lilly" sponsorship on Christian Fittipaldi all those years ago)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KingShibby posted:

At Media Day his firesuit didn't mention Novo Nordisk. My guess is that they haven't officially signed on for 2016 (but may before St Pete)

RaceWithInsulin is a Novo Nordisk website, and you can see still see their logo on the tire ramps. In the past, they've used a couple of different products on the car, like Levemir (the blue and green cars) and Novolog (the blue and orange), and I don't imagine Chip would run the car unless he had the money. Guess we will have to see.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Honda ripped off Chevy, Chevy is ripping off Honda, world keeps on spinnin

https://twitter.com/RACERmag/status/697491706380308480

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah i mean the manufacturers wanted the aerokits so if they end up looking the same, its kinda on them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Do you like laughing? Know how Honda copied Chevy's front wing? Well...

In fact, taken on whole with those new wheel guards, the 2016 Chevy looks like the 2015 Honda

So yes, they both copied each others car from last year exactly. Racing is the dumbest/greatest.

That said, these might just be development pieces trying to test the other sides ideas and such. I'm not sure when the homologation cut off is.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/126028-indycar-sonoma-testing-gallery

e: Was just reminded that there is no homologation cut off this year as they can use their three 'box' allotment at any time. So the real limiting factor is just the allowed track time. So yeah, hard to say if they are just testing or if this is the real stuff.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 11, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Peanut President posted:

So how long until Indycar stops running street courses and ponies up for actual circuits?

They are broke, so never.

Also that's why they don't run everyone's fantasy schedule. It's a small time series, they have a hard time filling stands, and they don't have the money to do track rentals like they did in the IRL days with Tony George spending half a billion floating the series. The only track they actually own, they already run at twice.

As always, the series will run in your grandmas dirt backyard if you can pony up the cash.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i enjoyed the defensive posts, but i dont think shibby was making fun of nascar's actual road course races. calm down, nancies

also i wish you would have a posting career ending injury pnut (please consider yourself owned)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It's great living in America and primarily watching American racing where we can ignore all the corrupt FIA bullshit like circuit "grades" and "super licenses" and focus on our own corrupt bullshit instead.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ChampCar ran the Brands Hatch Indy circuit in 2003. They were lapping in like 39 something seconds and it was great. I think that was one of Bourdais first wins?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

be nice wicka posted:

indycar needs to run CoTA or montreal or something, i'd love to get a real comparison vs F1. ideally montreal since that's not really a downforce track and F1 cars are for sure generating way more downforce than indycars.

The aerokits have bumped IndyCars over F1 in total downforce. AR1 heard that Honda's max numbers were something like 7000lbs@200mph in RC setup, which is partially what lead to the series mandating reinforced front wing mounting parts from Dallara.

But IndyCars are obviously heavier. But they also have bigger tire contact patches. But a smaller contact/weight ratio. And they generally run harder tire compounds than F1. But Firestone's tire compounds themselves are probably better. But the Dallara suspension setups are probably less advanced as they are spec/purposefully overbuilt some teams have to replace parts less.

Basically what I'm saying is P1 cars probably win in all of these categories anyway.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

be nice wicka posted:

WEC shares several tracks with F1 and they're generally at least a couple seconds slower. i had no idea about the rest of that though.

Yeah, i think a lot of that is down to P1's bein fuckin fatties. P1 is 1930lb minimum vs 1548lb for F1. I think for raw grip, the P1s are pretty mighty right now.

Penske tested at COTA last year but I don't think they ever released numbers because it was pre-homologation aerokit testing. Would be interesting to get that straight ICS/F1 comparison, but F1 would probably still rule even without the aero.

e: i think since everybody weighs differently with like fuel/driver and stuff, a better comparison is:

F1: 1,415
ICS: 1,575
P1: 1,930
Cup: 3,400

Cygni fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 16, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

You have to put in the Kurt Busch level of dedication to have any shot at doing well in either race, flying back and forth constantly and poo poo, then beating up your terrible girlfriend. And remember he wiped out really fuckin hard once in practice.

I'm sure a few drivers put out 'feelers', but its a huge, dangerous commitment for a one timer to really take on. Plus Kasey has a Chevy personal services contract, and would surely want a winning car... so thats Penske and Ganassi only, who would need a big deal sponsor to make them even consider it.

They would get a lot more takers if one of the races was on Monday, and a lot more still if the cockpits were closed. And a lot more still if ICS got better ratings and could pull bigger sponsors. But none of that is true right now.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Problem with that hoop bar thing is I dont know if it would have helped in Jwills case. Also I dont know why they went with a center bar instead of side pillar design, unless they are that worried about the mirror positions and dont want to move them or something? I dunno.

I obvi didn't read the article cause the only way i can even remotely enjoy F1 is by pretending its awful loving media and fans dont exist.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I liked that one concept Alex Lloyd was pushing, personally.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Helio's 500 car looks perty dope.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IOwnCalculus posted:

What's the writing on the tires - all of the previous winners?

Yup

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Racecar fans are headcases and aspies, regardless of the series. The people who evangelize any one series over another tend to be the type of shitlord that also loves soccer in the US specifically because everyone else ignores it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

2016 RC Honda in paint:

Newgarden:

DCR

RHR

Cygni fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005