Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

a lot of work just to make your pet commit suicide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

the first mario game came out before he was born

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

cheetah7071 posted:

That's actually a wrongwarp, which is a category of glitch where you trick the game to taking you to the wrong place when you do a screen transition. I don't know all the details of the OoT one but it has something to do with leaving the room without using the glowing portal not setting the flag for where to be warped to correctly, so it just uses the value that happens to be in that memory location. Conveniently, warping to Ganon's tower doesn't require you to do any fancy memory manipulation

My understanding is that the way OoT handles cutscenes is each area has a value and each cutscene has a value, and if you're in a screen transition that takes you to a cutscene then the cutscene value is added to destination area value and that's how the game knows you should be in a particular cutscene.

The Deku Tree wrongwarp works because you trick the game into adding a cutscene value to a different area - normally in the blue warp transition you would have deku tree cutscene value plus outside the deku tree area value and that equals the cutscene where the Deku Tree tells you about the Kokiri Emerald. If you enter the Deku Tree basement 2 on the same frame as the blue warp transition, then the game adds deku tree cutscene value plus deku tree basement 2 value and that equals Ganon's tower.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

BBJoey posted:

this is cool, thank you for explaining. is there a pannenkoek equivalent for zelda tricks like this?

Not as far as I know, and I can't remember where I learned that explanation. It was in a speedrun of OoT but I've watched that run so many times I can't pick out the exact video.

This one is really good, it's a post-commentated world record (I think since beaten) so it goes into more depth than they usually can with live runs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq6pGJbd6Iw

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

One time too many