Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I can't get over how after we spent the whole time between seasons talking about clarke comitting copious murder and kissing girls she spends the entire first episode stabbing panthers and having gay sex, this shows so fuckin good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Murphy has been my favorite character ever since he spent the first few episodes of season 2 tagging along making sarcastic quips about how much he tried to kill everybody

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah I definitely got the impression that she thought he was dead, but that does raise the question of how it fooled her after she pulled the same trick 10 seconds earlier

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Umm, I see a bit of a snag with this brilliant plan of yours Clarke. Pike doesn't want peace. He intentionally started this war to kill you all. This isn't some 'misunderstanding.' You know this.

She knows he doesn't, but she also knows that Bellamy A) is close to him and B) can be reasoned with, so she figured if she could convince him he could talk some sense into Pike. Didn't work out obviously but yanno.

Anyway, seems preeeetty clear after this episode that the rushed writing of the last ep was probably a result of having a limited amount of episodes to work with, and it righted the ship pretty well imo assuming it keeps progressing well from here on out

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

It's probably been mentioned already but it's worth pointing out that this is, uh, not the first time Lexa has opted to avoid a high-casualty battle.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

hollylolly posted:

Okay, I tried to get the thread title changed to Pike! Pike! Pike! Pike! last week but it wasn't, and now that's a little outdated, so suggest a new title and I'll ask X-O again and we'll see what happens.

#MakeArkadiaGreatAgain

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Y'all are forgetting about the nuke, which is almost certainly going to be used this season on one of:

A) The Ice Nation
B) The TreeKru tower that probably got named at some point but i forgot
C) Arkadia
D) Specifically and only Pike

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

ITS HAPPENING

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

This show's bad. gently caress it

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Sober posted:

Time to batten down the hatches for the next few weeks. I sincerely hope discussion about the episode is possible without accusations of FRIDGING and KILLING OFF THE GAYS.

It's honestly a very fair complaint, but in it's context I think their hand was kinda forced and it was done well imo.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Okay I think I have formulated My Opinion (as a bisexual dude) on the controversy, which I am announcing as such so everyone can skip over it if they like:

Now firstly, I do think some of the people in this thread need to step back a bit. It's not frustrating to LGBT people because ~lolshipping~ (though I'm sure to many people that is a factor), it's a frustrating trope to keep seeing (and it IS pretty common) because setting aside creative vision and all that people just simply wanna see some characters in the same type of relationships as theirs be happy sometimes without it having to end tragically, like what happens with straight relationships in, yknow, almost every work of fiction. The 100 was/is regarded really well in LGBT circles for obvious reasons (queer characters in positions of power, a bi lead etc), so I think it's very understandable to feel a bit betrayed by the show especially due to it happening 1 scene after Clarke and Lexa consummated their relationship, even if just due to abject frustration at seeing the trope come up yet again.

That being said, considering it's this show and the circumstances around it I do think I ultimately disagree with the hate, while, yet again, it's understandable. Their hand was forced in terms of having to end their relationship obviously, and considering it's The Goddamn 100 I think killing her was basically their only real option. I think it makes a weird situation for a writer to be in honestly (like many storytelling tropes), obviously nobody wants to use tropes that are not only overused but are also harmful to marginalized people, but if your ~Creative Vision~ requires X character to die (especially in a show like this one) then :shrug:

Monicro fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 5, 2016

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Also you guys seemed to have missed the memo that it doesn't matter if tropes are individually justified in a work or not, the problem is they happen on such a wide scale

Yea

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Dalael posted:

I think people need to stop freaking out about things and grow tougher skin. :shrug:

:yikes:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

TonDC = Washington DC

Polis = Annapolis

:confused:

I'm not sure if it was intentional or hamfisted if it was, but it was a perfectly reasonable guess to make

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

For whatever it's worth I thought it was a fine death. Maybe this is a stretch but it was a tragic result of a bunch of things crashing together at once, which has been something of a theme this season.

Monicro fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 6, 2016

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Sober posted:

I'd also like to point out about half their writers' room is also female. and I also have to assume everyone was in the room when they broke this (if not every) episode and revise revised it, etc. So this definitely did not just slip through.

It's more of an LGBTQ+ issue than a women's issue, but for obvious reasons one has to figure there's probably a few peeps under that umbrella in the writing staff so

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

yeah it's a perfectly reasonable guess if you're totally ignorant about geography and don't know that Annapolis is on the coast

hint: polis isn't

Also late to this but reminder that there's a desert within walking distance of the lincoln memorial in this show

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

hope and vaseline posted:

Funny how someone who's emphasizing empathy can't seem to comprehend that as part of the LGBT community we all pretty much face the same issues to varying extents and in fact bisexuals deal with a lot more poo poo than just plain homosexuals due to bi erasure and outright phobia from gays and lesbians but hey bisexuals aren't lesbians

This is a super bizarre post considering that equating bisexuality to being gay/lesbian (whichever is appropriate at the time) is like baby's first bi erasure

e: also people are still rolling out the "so ur saying all gays must be immortal huh!!!!!" strawman so lemme reword the point Troposphere is making: There's so little queer characters in media compared to straight characters so while there's way more deaths from the latter, the problem is that the percentage of queer characters getting ganked is kinda ridiculous. Like, 6 out of 10 is a way more notable number than 100 out of 1000, and maybe, just maybe, writers should look to change that. Okay im not sure i worded this rewording very well but there ya go

Monicro fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 7, 2016

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

i probably shouldn't but ngl im really enjoying the way this episode threw this thread into total anarchy

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

So what's an example of a well done and nonproblematic lgbt character death?

I will answer this question as soon as you explain how that's an logical follow-up to that post

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

I don't think you can.

No, the problem is my post said "y'all are missing the forest for the trees" and you followed it up with "POINT AT A BIRCH TREE"

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

C'mon this should be easy, name just one.

I'm not very inclined to considering how blatantly you're arguing in bad faith so I'll just quote these posts again and then take hollylolly's advice and bow out of this

The Iron Rose posted:

Also you guys seemed to have missed the memo that it doesn't matter if tropes are individually justified in a work or not, the problem is they happen on such a wide scale

The Iron Rose posted:

Lexa's death isn't problematic if you're only considering the context of the show and nothing else(though the fact it happened 1 scene after sex is kinda gross). It becomes problematic in the context of lesbians getting killed off all the time.

Like, as far as deaths go, this one was foreshadowed and justified and wasn't fridging at all. It becomes a problem once you take a wider look at lesbian characters being buried all over the drat place across in other shows and movies.

There's nothing the 100 could have done better outside of not killing Lexa off 1 scene after sex. It is, however, undeniably disappointing considering the fact that the vast majority of major lesbian characters will end up being killed off one way or another, justified or not.

Monicro fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 7, 2016

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

Bye.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Man you're angry about sad gay people

Monicro fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 7, 2016

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

enraged_camel did you really not read enough of their posts in this whole argument to figure out that she's a woman

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

captured by the grounders and used to spread disease in dropship camp

Don't forget, he was tortured during this one also!!!!

Luv u murph, good luck next ep you'll need it

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

My essay on why all these lesbians complaining about representation should be put in an asylum, by whiteguy von twentysomething

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Nooo esper we werent supposed to directly respond to eachother you know the rules

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

In any case tho this is the post i was mainly referring to, in which a dude who apparently reads 4chan tells a lesbian what is best for representation

zoux posted:

But everyone is unhappy and tragic all the time?

That's the reason that "gay people can't be unhappy or it's a trope" is loving stupid because it creates a separate class of character that is immune to the rules of storytelling, which are rules because they create compelling and interesting characters. What you are complaining about is actually better for LGBT representation than an absurd contextless moratorium on drama because the shipping echochamber on the internet has tried to appropriate another critical paradigm they understand at the most superficial level.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

Interesting that you mention case because this would be the second time you didn't make a case and instead tried to imply that I'm homophobic or something.

I'm still waiting for you to explain that follow-up btw

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

It's been a while since I've seen those eps but I really dont get all the flack that plotline gets. Not that they were in the right in doing so, but it's pretty easy for me to imagine a bunch of dopey 18-year-olds not being totally on board with just turning their friend over to get tortured to death

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Troposphere posted:

it wasn't just the 18 year olds it was the adults who should have known better

IIRC wasn't Kane like "yeeeaaahh they're kinda totally right guys"? As for Abby that's just her character, she makes decisions with empathy above all else and that's why she was a Kinda poo poo chancellor, there are people like that in real life! Maybe I'm grasping at straws/forgetting things tho idk

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Troposphere posted:

she should have had some empathy for the 18 people he murdered in cold blood

Fair

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

I mean all she's done is respond to someone blaming the rothenberg drama on lolshippers after a page of people talking about the ricky whittle stuff and also enraged_camel who keeps making weird ad hominem snipes at her so

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Astroman posted:

It reminds me a lot of the OTT criticisms of Steven Moffat, the guy who made it canon and showed ON SCREEN that Time Lords can regenerate into different sexes but he's a horrible misogynist amirite?

I have no idea what this is about or who steven moffat is but ngl this sounds like some "no she's actually a 10000-year-old demon she just LOOKS like a sexy 12-year-old" level reasoning

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

You're right I apologize

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

this thread owns these days

"lolololol tumblr"
"here is literal, physical evidence and/or multiple paragraphs directly refuting your stance"
"doesnt count also haha tumblr"

repeat for 30 pages

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

congrats on missing the point entirely you big goddamn goon

The best part of that post is when he says gay men are more marginalized in media than lesbians, which as a bi dude is a statement i refuse to even try to wrap my head around

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Also on a semantic note calling being over-emotional autistic doesnt even make any sense, like, what

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

Nah, empathy and communication are problems with autism. They aren't literally robots that don't feel things themselves though, and they are entirely capable of [And in some cases of more severely impaired mental development, more inclined towards] emotional outbursts when disturbed. So calling someone over-emotional and autistic is to imply they don't understand anyone else's feelings and are throwing a tantrum because things aren't going their way. AKA basically every personal attack on the internet that isn't "I nailed your mom and you are gay".

This is correct and in retrospect that was v insensitive of me, apologies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah I'm pretty sure Jaha ~fully submitted~ a while ago. And by "a while ago" I mean, like, when Murphy was in the bunker.

• Locked thread