Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I got the good news yesterday that my PEB said :getout: so I'm planning and moving forward to going to college. Applying at USD and trying to get into their arts program ending up with a BA in Visual Arts with emphasis on Video/Film and hopefully a minor in photography. Hoping I can get accepted, even though I have prior college (almost have my AA Gen Studies at Thomas Edison) they might not accept any of my credits because it's from an online school despite it being regionally accredited.

Anyone got some pointers and tips for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I'm a 46R in the Army, and I've been doing film and producing for 4+ years. I like the creativity of it, and I've already been approached by a group in Australia about potentially going to work there based on my current work.

I'd plan on trying to work for a production company or editing company with it, and maybe go back and work as a GS. I'm sure I could do that now but slots are always slim, I don't have a degree despite being close to getting one, and it's honestly probably the best option for my skill set. I could also do a BA in Humanities with some emphasis in film and video work, but I'd rather just have the whole shebang.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Vasudus posted:

Lmao @ fart degree

go for it

I'm gonna. Also I already have a fart degree. So sayeth my wife.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

elite_garbage_man posted:

I know a couple dudes that do film stuff now, but they got degrees in journalism and mass media. They're doing pretty well for themselves these days, but there was about a year or two after college where they didn't have much going on pay check wise. However, I do know of a few other people with film degrees, or some degree with the intention of getting into film, that do nothing closely related to it years after graduated.

The experience you have definitely will be an advantage so good luck. Also, you should hop on that Australian thing because that place is fun as gently caress, also to help build up your professional reel.

If it goes through I plan on it. It would be great. My buddy said it would be around 60-70k a year doing what I do already, so that's ace for me.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Punch her in the face dude. Violence is the only answer.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So a less retarded type of commission in an institution that's not backwards like the military? Weird

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So University San Diego said they'll accept me, but the credits I have at Thomas Edison State University won't transfer over, meaning I'll be starting from the beginning despite having almost an AA from them. Only because they are online :(

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

They got my unofficial transcripts so they know it's close. 2 classes away.

Probably doing option B. I'll just Clep the last two classes and hope I pass. That way I'll get an AA regardless.

Edit: that includes JST stuff by the way.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, still waiting on finding out if they can expedite my applications process. If not I'll have to stay here till spring semester, which means picking up a dead end job part time until I leave to make bills.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

App13 posted:

I always barge in and am real polite and I get poo poo done, so that will work out.

As far as disabled veteran hot tips, look into vocrehab. I'm on it and it rocks. If you struggle with being around strangers/inside buildings, etc. you might want to schedule yourself little breaks during your classes to go wash your face or drink some water BEFORE you get too worked up.

There's an adjustment period for sure, but never feel ashamed for needing to take a few weeks/months to do so

I'm probably gonna do this after my 9/11 GI runs out. I'd make too much more money with the BAH that the 9/11 offers instead of the vocrehab.

Hoping to get an answer back from my college soon. I sent them my unofficial transcripts and they said they'd let me know what they will accept. I've never heard of a college being so up tight about online universities before. I'm not going to Pheonix for gently caress's sake.

Also, not sure how I'd handle being yelled at by my professor. I think I'd just laugh and walk out. I plan on smoking weed with the cool kids in the bathrooms before class.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

It can be if you don't qualify for post 9/11 BAH. If you don't qualify for the post 9/11 they provide a much more modest housing stipend. Google for the charts, but very few, if any, people here will meet the criteria to even care.

Yeah but using voc rehab with the 9/11 rates eats up your 9/11 bill right?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Voc rehab provides 48 months instead of 36. So yes, plus 12 bonus months.

It really is better. Literally the only out of pocket expense under voc rehab is your school's forced meal plans. Everything goes on a voucher (bookstore poo poo) or you can take in receipts IF you can associate it with your degree.

Example: I had a music appreciation class for gen ed credits, and the instructor required us to go to a classical music concert, so a symphony. VA paid me back for the ticket.

Oh, and they'll flat out give you a new laptop, printer, a tablet if you can justify it.

Forget about post-9/11 if you qualify for VR&E.

Here's the thing though. I have a wife and two kids. So that BAH money is to help keep them alive. I want to do it, but whichever is going to help us out the most is going to be the obvious choice for me.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Voc rehab is better than post-9/11.

It is seriously an enlisted move to take post-9/11 over voc rehab. You may as well already have a degree and be signing up for another 4 years of getting yelled at by some dude who has three days TIG on you.

You pay nothing out of pocket but food. All your books can be new instead of rentals or beat to poo poo used copies. Free laptop. Same BAH as post-9/11 as long as you qualify for post-9/11 anyhow. Reimbursements. Even for simple poo poo like pens and paper.

You have to sign some papers and agree to a career track with your counselor, provide job market analysis (just print off poo poo from indeed for jobs that you like in the field you're studying), take a few simple tests. Seriously. VR&E. Do it.

Ok. I'll look into it. I'm not dedicated to the GI just misinformed or confused I guess.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's a form you'll need to get someone from the school to sign that says you need a computer (trivially easy to do) and then the VA will get you a cheap but still new laptop. I've never taken them up on that offer (cause I can't get them to drop 2500 on a new MBP) but I have got them to fix the screen on my macbook pro.

Just talk to your counselor and tell them that you need a laptop for school.

This is what's going to help me going to film school. I could probably get them to buy me a copy of CS6 too. Also possibly a good camera

There is ALSO another option and one I used. There's something called the American Opportunity Tax Credit (https://www.irs.gov/uac/American-Opportunity-Tax-Credit) that essentially gives you a bunch of money back for computer purchases as a student. I've used it twice now because it doesn't matter how many times as long as you are under the cap (it does add up though). So even though I have an iMac, I'll probably get a MBP because portability is a good thing. And they're ultimately better than iMacs for editing.

Wishlist for Vocrehab - Canon 5d Mk III (Video and photo)
MBP
???

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Remember, for voc rehab, you have to prove there are jobs in the field. So film/photography might be a stretch if you're planning on doing what everyone does with their phones and twitter.

I got a Dell. It was new and had all the typical Microsoft office poo poo and McAfee. Got it right before windows 8 hit so I missed all that terribleness but it's way outdated now. Probably going to bug them for something new again when I get back into school this fall.

You'd be surprised. There are two things I'm grateful for the military teaching me. The first is the ability to wake up at a snap be on my feet and ready to do whatever. He second is my MOS is pretty much a bunch of jobs rolled into one. If I can't be an editor, I can be a producer, if not hat, camera work. If not that then scripting, if not that then talent or broadcast (like a DJ), if not that community relations. Etc.

There are actually a bunch of jobs in this industry. It's hard to get though because a lot of people want them.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I had no idea it was 4 years period. Definitely looking into vocrehab

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Are all for profit schools bad?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. The college I'm looking and more than likely going to (University San Diego) is apparently for profit but it's regionally accredited instead of anything else. It was option B after SDSU pretty much told me I had a slim as gently caress chance.

As long as I can get a degree that holds weight, I'll be fine.

Burt posted:

Be careful of this.

I have a friend who is a well known film camera man, been on lot's of blockbuster films and he wanted to get into directing. In order for him to do this he had to just utterly give up camera work. Apparently you are either a camera operator or a director, you won't be taken seriously by the industry if you try both. He went over a year with no work just to get the break he needed to stop people thinking he was a camera operator. He directed a few commercials then went back to the cameras as he said he just couldn't break into directing, there's far too many people with better contacts but not necessarily more talent.

Yup. The point I was makin was that I can stick to one of the above and not worry as much. My old boss worked at a tv station and retry much explained that everyone has a single job, and that a camera man would never edit, vice versa etc.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Not really any other options for me. I'm 100% goin to San Diego.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I take that back. Don't know if it's for profit, but it's definitely a private school

Yeah it's rated #72 for veterans nationally and #89 for National Universities so it's probably not as bad as I'm thinking it could be. Nerves and poo poo

Soulex fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 5, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I must have looked at a different school TBH.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, I was looking at a different school I'm sure. Somehow my brain parsed it wrong.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

catholic huh? soulex hoping for an old nun to paddle his rear end, bet :mmmhmm:

Don't kink shame

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Ptolemaeus posted:

Just got my early drop for university packet approved, acceptance letter from George Washington U, and just finished ACAP/TAPS, freedom is so close. Can't wait to be billy Madison after this 6 and some change year "adventure."

Congrats! I'm waiting to hear back from mine :ohdear: I can't wait to do it too!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

elite_garbage_man posted:

I wish Newton's ghost would haunt the bitch that kept asking "why are we learning this? How is it even useful in real life?" in my calc 1 class

Hit up patrickjmt, math dr bob, and integral calc on youtube if you need any help. Seriously a ton of examples and go to study sessions. Calc takes a lot of practice and memorization of rules.

Also if you think calc is hard, never ever take a theoretical math course. Unless you want your brain to end up in gently caress town.

I don't know where Analytic Geometry fits into this equation but gently caress that class. I had it in high school, had to be tutored by the teacher, and still barely passed with a C.

I hate math.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Oh you are gonna loving hate trig.

Did that in High school too. I'm really hoping the math class I already did counts and transfers.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My sexuality is the most interesting thing about me! Pay attention to me showing you how wrong you are!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

It's like those bumper stickers people put on their car. "Gay and proud." Or "transgender driving." Whatever. Advertising it makes you look pompous. I don't drive around with "warning: I am a heterosexual." plastered on my back window.

Though I might put "sexual identifies as an attack helicopter."

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

How do you know I have privilege if you've never had it?

:smugbert: drops mic

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My coworker ended up getting a PTSD dog, and he needed it took great care of it, and jumped through mega loving hoops to let the dog come to work and pt and all that. And then like a week after command blessed off on it, they nixed it. I'll never forget that. It was a total bitch move on their part, because someone down the hall was upset that they couldn't bring their goddamn pet to work too.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

go3 posted:

So really loud and easily shot down

Nice

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cross post and meant to post this here :

I think I just found the best MoH winner right here.

some stupid loving website posted posted:

One of the more darkly humorous episodes of warfare occurred on 29 January 1945, in Holzheim, Belgium. Funk and his paratroopers were assaulting the town, and he left a rearguard of 4 men, while he scouted ahead to link up with other units, Those 4 men had to guard about 80 German prisoners. Another German patrol of 10 happened by and overwhelmed the 4 Americans, freeing the prisoners and arming them. When Funk returned around the corner of a building, he was met by a German officer with an MP-40 in his stomach. The German shouted something at him, and Funk looked around.There were now about 90 Germans, about half of them armed, and 5 Americans, disarmed except for Funk.

The German shouted the same thing at him again, and Funk started laughing. He claimed later that he tried to stop laughing, but the fact that the German was shouting in German touched a nerve. Funk didn’t speak German. Neither did any of the other Americans. Why would the German officer expect him to understand?His laughter and non-compliance caused some of the Germans to start laughing. Funk shrugged at them and started laughing so hard he had to bend over. He called to his men, “I don’t understand what he’s saying!” All the while, the German officer was shouting more and more angrily.

Then, quick as lightning, Funk swung his Thompson submachine gun up and emptied the entire clip into the German, 30 rounds of .45 ACP. Before the other Germans could react, he had yanked the clip out and slammed another in and opened fire on all of them, screaming to his men to pick up weapons. They did so, and proceeded to gun down 20 men. The rest dropped their weapons and put their hands up.

Then Funk started laughing again and said to his men, “That was the stupidest loving thing I’ve ever seen!”

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cause every person who drives one thinks they are some loving PRO race car driver.

I'm gonna get vet (are disabled vet plates a thing?) plates when I move to California.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Awesome. I've been fighting my provider about it because walking around sucks and that placard helps a bunch. He's all "not durin treatment." And I'm like "treatment is over I'm getting kicked out." But I don't know who else to go to.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Lol loving bottled water from the mini bar?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mouf feel

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The 9-11 is pretty instantaneous right? I know I'll have to wait for the vocrehab but if and when I get accepted, I just insert user name and password, say gimme money and I get it towards the end of the month right?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Did you stand in formation when you were told this?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

gently caress that I'm gonna go make 17 bucks an hour at SafewayCostcoTrader Joes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

McNally posted:

Got a letter in the mail today from the VA with my certificate of eligibility for Post-911 GI Bill benefits at 60%.

It's just too drat bad that's not what I applied for. I applied for the Fry Scholarship which provides 100% benefits for military survivors.

loving VA can't even see what loving piece of paper I submitted.

This and the daughter thing is loving hilarious and insane. If this wasn't real it would be the plot on "VA in LA" or whatever sitcom that it would star in.

I'm a few incidents away before just recommending you go killdozer.

• Locked thread