Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

WELCOME TO THE STUDENT VETERANS LOUNGE

PLEASE FILL OUT THIS BINGO CARD

Congratulations on your decision to become a student veteran.
Whether you're the first in family to attend college, or just needed a little "seasoning" between undergrad and PhD, you're part of a proud tradition of men and women too old, too knowledgable, too medicated and too stupid to have a place in today's higher education.

And yet here we are.

Before proceeding, you must know a few things. First of all, questions about VA benefits and entitlements belong in this actually useful resource thread.

Second, I hope you didn't throw out your assault pack.
You're gonna need it, especially if your beard game is weak, so that everyone knows YOU SERVED.

Need one? Here ya go:

Zeris fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

The Rat posted:

Oh hey here's something for the thread. Back in 2008, my school vets lounge had a meet and greet thing, and as a means of getting us to talk to each other, they handed out these "social bingo" papers.

Humanity continues to fill me with inarticulate disgust.

Thanks going in the OP that is by far the worst student vet related thing I have ever seen

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Deathy McDeath posted:

I have three semesters left at this place. Still debating whether to continue on with grad school or not.
On a side note, the vets are getting antsy and have been posting non-stop facebook drama. First, some dude decided that our treasurer was a war criminal or something and posted some youtube videos he had made like 8 years ago. So the treasurer resigned. Then the board of the group went to a Hillary rally, and people got really pissed off because it seems partisan or something. Now, we're set to have some elections at the end of the month. Dudes are complaining about all sorts of petty poo poo on Facebook and everyone else is collectively facepalming.

This is what happens when you give enlisted people freedom.

This morning someone posted, in our student vets facebook group, a 50 page PDF of chat transcripts between board members, "proving" their shameful character. But they're just handling business the same way anyone in charge has to handle business, and speaking in private. Except now this is the internet age so nothing is ever private. This place is insane -- what do the whiners expect? Never seen this much drama in my life, not even when dudes on deployment got caught installing cameras in the female showers, not even when we beat up detainees, not even when an MRAP monster-trucked some poor corolla.

VV -- Masters in creative writing high five bruh

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

We tried to do that with a stryker once, it didn't work. Just pushed the thing about half a block. So we just thermite'd it in an empty lot.

(We were detaining an informant and felt like we needed to put on a show)

Ours was accidental and there was an Afghan inside :(

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Deathy McDeath posted:

Well, the bomb throwers in the Columbia veterans group won; last night the president and vice president resigned because they said mean things about people in a private chat. Now we have a safe space. For vets.

Also, we have an insanely expensive ball coming up next month and, from my vantage point, nobody directing it. Good job Teahadists.

What a loving train wreck

Maybe we should carry puss pads with us across campus for the rest of semester. Or like an
Entire A-bag full of regs and FMs.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

From star wars thread

Lazy Reservist posted:

OK, wookieepedia says the Death Star has a diameter of 120 km, which gives a surface area of around 45,000 km. At a minimum, the 15,000 turbolasers would be 3 km apart. Assuming the towers are 50 m tall, this gives them a range to horizon of around 1.5 km, which would make interlocking fields of fire possible.

I figure some math sperg already beat me to the answer, which is why those numbers are on wookieepedia.

OK, I did some more math and a gun that's 2 m above the surface would have about a third of a km range to horizon. From that, to ensure complete coverage, there would need to be around 130,000 guns.

This is what your STEM degree gets you

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

this will play when they are turning me into soylent

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

NTT posted:

Yoga is actually pretty hard, and i ripped my pants

Yoga is the greatest

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

lol

quote:

Hello IRR Officer,

I am an Army Reserve Career Counselor with the Army Reserve Careers
Division. Your records show that you are currently in the Individual Ready
Reserve, (IRR) with a Current Organization (CURORG) of Y.
This usually means you are discharged from the IRR. However, this may not
be the case.
If you were discharged from the Regular Army, please check your DD214 to
make sure you do not have any adverse codes (IE misconduct etc.).

The problem may be that you require a current physical.

See block #9 and block #23.
Block #6 may have a date of discharge if you completed your 8 year
obligation.

If you are interested in getting reappointed contact Ms. Harris
HRC IRR/IMA Special Action Section-502-613-6999 and she will walk you
through what you need specifically to get reappointed.
Depending on how long you have been discharged from AD and if you were
scrolled or not for a Reserve appointment prior to REFRAD, this will
determine whether you have to go the full reappointment route (yearly board
in June) or if you can be processed now for reappointment. If you see
aDA-71 about the time of REFRAD, and a Reserve appointment letter in your
IPERMS, this indicates you were scrolled by HRC.
You may request that the HRC IRR Team place you in the IRR, after you have
been approved for reappointment.

""Then, if you are interested, I can place you in an Army Reserve Unit.""

I will be glad to assist you in any way possible to make the transition
easier.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this email I will look forward
to working with you.

Very Respectfully,

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

My observation, having started grad school last Fall, is that 85% of humans don't realize that sitting at a desk, with all required work within arm's reach, and then spending 3 straight hours on facebook and buzzfeed is not actually effective. But if they do that, then complain, their friends will share sympathies and they'll all get a beer together. Then show up late to class the next day with halfassed work done at 6am, bitch about having gotten no sleep, etc. etc.

Basically, professors ought to start actually failing people.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Jarmak posted:

So if half+7 isn't a whole year, can you round down? This is important.

Dude you can do whatever you want with a consenting legal adult, your country owes you

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

So apparently the word "fleek" is a thing? I guess it means "cool and good"? I feel like someone ripped it straight from a novel about teenagers in the future. "Totally grokked that zark, it was on fleek"

It means "I'm an idiot" and celebrities have been using it for years so it has sort of caught on but it's more of a social media thing and

Yeah, avoid anyone who uses it unironically

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Excuse me while I amend the OP

Please remember this student veteran lounge thread is a safe space

Triggering will not be tolerated

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I am dumb

Zeris fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 5, 2016

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm not sure how Columbia got such a relatively large Vet population - they're similar size/prestige schools, in large NE cities.

I don't know the numbers, but veteran status is a HUGE bonus for your application at Columbia on the undergrad and grad side. Columbia also, I believe, is generous with Yellow Ribbon funds. Lastly, we've had several waves of students getting in here, finding the experience positive, and encouraging their friends to follow along ("Dude, if you apply you're gonna get in, and etc. etc.")

A big reason the vet population lags at Ivies and other top schools is folks don't even apply, assuming they'd never get in. and they'd be right, if administrators weren't artificially favoring our backgrounds

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

What's Columbia like? The BAH looks silly but it's loving New York. How much does it cost to live in the dorms? I'm saving money by living with family in a familiar city going to a decent state school, but am not opposed to finishing my last 2 years somewhere better. Though I'd rather go to Cornell if possible since it's got a better engineering program.

Budget 1200 to 1400 for a room, plus utilities, out of your BAH -- assuming you want to live in walking distance of campus.

You can live further away for cheaper, down to 800 or 900 for a room in Brooklyn (1hr commute, not recommended).

Most vets I know here have 100% GI bill and seem to not know what to do with their extra money.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

poo poo, I would have expected twice that. What about dorms proper?

I don't think there are dorms proper for non-traditional students. But the university housing prices I mentioned come with a free roommate of the university's choosing. If you want to live alone in a studio, think $2000+

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Vausudus what I do with columbia MFA help

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Vasudus posted:

does your degree say columbia on it?

the gently caress else matters

k, now, how i money

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

Three weeks before I graduate, which means applications are going out loving fast starting tonight.

zeris, do you wanna start an ad agency? you can write copy and all the scripts

Yeah, okay, and yeah, I am down. What are you gonna pay me

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

how does the occasional free potbelly's lunch sound?

let me check with my landlord

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

they said no

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

A 22 year old vegan from Texas, living in a $2000 Manhattan studio apartment paid by parents, in my graduate writing program at an ivy league university, just tweeted:

quote:

When u gave up food delivery for Lent but then ur inside writing all day and it's raining.... IM SORRY!!!!!!

dis wut i fought war for

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

Anybody used one of the paper writing services before? Actual decent classes I give a poo poo about I'd write them myself, but this English 101 bullshit (rhetorical analysis, WOO!) is going to make me lose my loving mind with how terrible and pedantic it is.

You will actually learn something from doing a thing you don't feel like doing, imagine that. It may not be something you want to learn, but it will be something useful. And next time it will be easier. Don't be a bitch. If you can't hack a 101 class, quit school.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Whoever writes the admissions essays for these international students at Columbia is probably what you're after.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Following the china.jpg thread has given a lot of insight into these types things. Lots of rich chinese students don't speak or read any english yet get into various grad/bachelors programs and do nothing but cheat their way through. Upon being caught it's mostly swept under the rug and they're quietly given their degrees. Virtually all will simply return to China once done and take a job at dad's company or working for him in his government office. The degree is meaningless other than just to say they have it. The schools turn a blind eye because they gouge the gently caress out of them on tuition.

This is an actual op/ed posted in our school paper

http://features.columbiaspectator.com/opinion/2015/12/14/the-chinese-elite-at-columbia/

quote:

Editor’s note, Dec. 15, 2015, 7:05 p.m.: It has come to our attention that one of the images that was originally made to accompany this op-ed bore a resemblance to the Japanese Rising Sun Flag. Though the flag has a complicated history, for many people around the globe it is negatively associated with imperialism and oppression. We apologize for not realizing beforehand the associations this image has, and we have since removed it from the op-ed.

We also realize that an earlier version of this piece did not adequately identify it as opinion content. We have since adjusted the headline accordingly.

Our boarding school backgrounds, our posh accents, our stylish outfits—in my experience, American students are often astonished by us Chinese internationals.

What they expect to see, I think, are the sensitive and studious Chinese déclassés who flooded into American engineering programs after the Cultural Revolution and campus upheavals of the 1980s. It is impossible to ignore the difference between those students—those who marched off to the United States, scholarships in hand, with the goal of promoting their extended families’ quality of life—and us. We’ve been sent off by our politically influential families to get precious Ivy League diplomas straight out of boarding schools.

This glamorous exterior, however, only conceals people who are struggling with the dysfunctionalities, injustices, and hypocrisies of the Communist Party system. The contrast between the lofty Communist Party line our parents defend and the reality of the human depravity we witness in our lives forces our descent into depression, drug abuse, and all too often suicide.

People who don’t see this might envy our upscale lives. They view our weekend trips to Aspen, Colorado, or the Bahamas as mere excursions, as if our private jets simply shuttle us from one party to the next. As if our exotic summer travels are just about where we get to go, not about the political system we get to stay away from. They see our impeccable style—clothes from Alaïa, Jil Sander, or Valentino—and don’t recognize the self-hate that comes with our self-enhancement.

And of course, they know we can study whatever subject we want. We don’t feel the pressure to find a lucrative job after graduation.

On the surface, we are popular, right? No. At the center of the party, amid the sycophantic small talk, we are very, very alone. We Chinese “elite” are islands in the sea: No one comes in, no one goes out. Our luxury, our lavishness, and our libertinage are grapplings for a sense of fulfillment, of belonging. We are disconnected from other students, other Chinese people, even ourselves.

True, there are thousands of Chinese graduate students at Columbia, and more than a billion Chinese people on Earth. We come from the core of a political machine, the Chinese Communist Party, that deeply influences the Chinese people. Yet we, the Chinese elite, are fundamentally unable to communicate with them. There exist two realities; an impermeable line separates us Chinese elite and the Chinese students from different-class families.

Fundamental differences in our upbringing––differences in wealth, in the ways we access information––erect difficult barriers of communication between us. How can we understand the hardships they overcame to make their way to Columbia? How can we understand the pragmatism of their career goals, when we have these four years to find some fulfillment and escape before we return to the belly of the Communist regime? How can they understand the pessimism and the depression that results from this expectation when all they might see of Chinese politics is what the party allows them to, while we witness the tragedy and self-deception of high society?

Even as the free flow of information in the United States exposes many Chinese people to the realities of our country’s horrific past, they seem to show little interest in publicly discussing the crimes––like the Tiananmen Square Massacre or today’s proliferating organ harvests––that have been hidden from them, and they fail to understand the crosses that we, the beneficiaries of the Communist takeover, must bear.

When the glimmer of our lifestyles dulls for a bit, it is not as if we do not wish to be them. It is not as if, in those moments, we don’t long for the ordinary epiphany, the static exhilaration, the popular revelation of being one of them. However, the fact is that most of us have long given up on that hope. Discarded to boarding schools at early ages, we see the political lives and the arranged marriages that our families will prepare for us, and we resign ourselves to our fate.

In other words, Columbia is a utopia. As with all utopias, we cherish it for its transience.

Our dissatisfaction stems from a clash between our inherited Chinese values and the Western ideals to which we were exposed at boarding school. The values we inherit from our homeland are values of conformity. The “model worker” is ready to work selflessly wherever he is sent, never thinking of reward, treating natural human emotions as nothing more than an unavoidable irritation. It symbolizes the official ethical ideal and is, in fact, the highest decoration given by the Chinese Communist Party.

How can this ideal, in which even our parents do not fully believe, not be shattered by the individualistic thinking we encounter at boarding schools and Columbia? The three essential currents of Western civilization we study in Literature Humanities at Columbia are foreign to the basic demand of Communist conformity: the classical world, the Church, and the emergence of national states through war and conquest. We are caught between the worlds of Socratic seminar methods that encourage students to question and Chinese blind obedience. All of the West’s ethical, social, and legal concepts are imprinted into our elite Ivy League education.

At boarding schools and Columbia, we live with amazement that we have been mistaken about nearly everything having to do with China, its history, its people, its faith, the roots of its culture, and the imprints—still visible, still warm—of that culture on the Chinese past and on the mind and character of the people. It is therefore natural for us to develop a strong favoritism toward Western civilization. The numerous lies in Chinese textbooks and newspapers have made it nearly impossible to trust any official ideology in China anymore.

So we reject our Communist values and do our best not to associate with the system. As a matter of fact, we try not to think about it at all. In public we continue to speak of the importance of “personal sacrifice for the sake of social welfare,” but do not practice it. We seek as much as possible to avoid all bureaucracy, all “social work.” In short, the defensive statement released in the Harvard Crimson three years ago by Bo Guagua, a son of deposed Communist Party leader Bo Xilai, is not a rare case. We use every honest and dishonest means at our disposal to protect our private lives from the cumbersome intrusion of the so-called Chinese totalitarian system.

The ideal successors of Chinese Communism are prepared to offer themselves up to the cause of Communist triumph, and they belong to the past. They are dead, undone by the visible gap between word and deed, between ideology and reality. While studying abroad in the Ivy League, they are dependent on the regime, and use it as a kind of feeding trough for money. What they love in their country is their family’s connections to the ruling Communist Party, which overrules their pride to be Chinese. After becoming better acquainted with the works of Western literature studied in Literature Humanities, they refuse to even look at a single Chinese book. They excuse themselves on the grounds that the Chinese language is crude and unpleasant. This excuse is worse than the refusal itself.

They think that “ideology” and “identity” cannot be expressed in their mother tongue, and that it is not worth the effort of mastering it. Equipped with the elitist mindset they acquired while in boarding school, they regard their compatriots much as Rome regarded the cities that surrounded it: equally ready for alliance or war with the Chinese political machine, they choose one or the other on the basis of self-interest.

However, you would be mistaken to think that this change of heart is permanent. In the end, this newfound individualism and defiance of ours will crumble like those selfsame Roman walls as we graduate and expectations and simple familiarity draw us back into the Communist system. In the end, our denunciation is an charade, a lie to others and ourselves, and the certainty of our eventual capitulation hovers over our lives. We will continue to benefit from the exploitation we now find so repulsive, and praise in high tones the Communist tropes we find so hollow as they issue from our families’ mouths.

We still fight back when we can, though. Rebellion comes in many forms, such as Jang Kung-song, the only daughter between Jang Song-thaek, a former leading figure in the North Korean regime and his wife, Kim Kyong-hui, the current North Korean supreme leader Kim Jong-un’s aunt, who killed herself by overdosing on sleeping pills in Paris. Rebellion also comes in the form of my cousin Fabian, a graduate of Andover and Dartmouth, who also committed suicide.

Yet how can I understand a person driven to suicide by the demons of individualism, asceticism, or despair, when I myself am in love with asceticism and individualism? When in myself there is nothing that I love more than my own individualism and privilege of studying the humanities and social sciences at one of the most prestigious American universities, when I, and almost everyone I know, am trailed by a gnawing shadow of similar allure?

The New York Times columnist Ian Johnson translated a popular blog post on Chinese social media immediately after a deadly train accident in 2012. He pictured China as a flying train and urged, “China, please stop your flying pace, wait for your people, wait for your soul, wait for your morality, wait for your conscience! Don’t let the train run out off track, don’t let the bridges collapse, don’t let the roads become traps, don’t let houses become ruins. Walk slowly, allowing every life to have freedom and dignity. No one should be left behind by our era.”

Yet there is no clear response from Chinese political leadership, just a recorded train station announcement. The rattling of the wheels, growing louder every year, is nothing more than the nearly unnoticeable sound of political reformation. The train, around which “the rent air thunders and becomes wind,” is racing straight at us. When the people rush to us, the highly Westernized Chinese elite who are presently still students, we are struck by certain death under the train’s mad wheels.

The author is a first-year in the Columbia/Jewish Theological Seminary joint program with prospective majors in ethnicity and race studies and Jewish history. Originally from China, she grew up between her hometown and boarding schools, and is of mixed Chinese and Jewish heritage.

To respond to this op-ed, or to submit an op-ed, contact opinion@columbiaspectator.com.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

JSARSOM posted:

https://www.borenawards.org/

If you're studying language, this is your meal ticket into 3 letter work. I believe the applications were due already, but you want to prepare this app months in advance, if thinking for next year. This is also a good luck type of thing, most awardees are people who already have connections and referrals from the agencies. PM if you want more info, I'm currently abroad with it.

Yeah they were due Feb 9th. It says you have to commit to a year of fed work after graduating. Also I can't stop seeing "boner awards" in that url.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

SnarkyHipster posted:

Anyone have any advice for a 28 year old enlisted Marine vet begining the MBA application process? I'm looking at applying to a top 20 or so program and I'm trying to see how I should frame my veteran (enlisted) status in the application, and which schools might throw me a bone. All of the veteran info/network for MBAs out there seems to be directed almost entirely towards the All-American WASPY Academy fighter pilot/ranger guys, and not so much the tattooed, inbred GED waiver door knob licker types. For example, I dropped by a veteran networking event at Harvard/MIT and the retired General hosting the event did the whole "all my academy guys raise their hands, all my ROTC guys raise their hands, etc. etc." and out of the 20+ people there, I was literally the only one who had to sit there with my hands in my lap; Everyone then looked at me like I was an alien when I had to explain I was enlisted.

I enlisted after high school, then went to undergrad, and have been doing software consulting for the last two years. My relatively young age and recent civilain experience almost seems to make me more of traditional MBA candidate compared to the officers and senior enlisted that seem to make up the majority of veterans in these programs, and only have Uncle Sam on their resume. Anyone been through the process or have some suggestions?

Yeah the MBAs look officer-heavy, but not exclusive in that regard.
Some reading for you--
This is a popular media topic in:
Bloomberg
P&Q
Some more background info
Yet more reporting

More concrete resources:
Columbia's MBA claims itself as vet-friendly
You might find MBA application advice at Harvard's Armed Forces Alumni Association
More info on the above

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Hi,

I come from the Land of Learning the Hard Way to tell you all that dating undergrads is always a bad idea, no matter how hot she is and no matter how unique the situation seems. Learn the hard way if you like, but don't say you weren't told.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

App13 posted:

I got a pat on the bum and a wave from the navy, but 60% from the VA. Always worth it to try

Also did we ever figure out how old is too old to date an 18 year old? I ask for a friend.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

App13 posted:

That's why you move to the north east and marry a frigid brunette

You'll probably meet a half dozen of them just unloading your moving your truck. My god, they're everywhere here.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

A girl I slept with from New Hampshire kept everything shaved except her taint.

The worst is when they try to shave but just do a quick once-over across the outside and you're staring at a fuzzy lobster claw wondering "where did I go wrong in life"

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

I call that the merkin urchin

it's like if I shaved my face but hair grew on my lips and gums and I didn't shave that hair but somehow imagined women would desire to go anywhere near that with anything but a cock

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

psydude posted:

That's because many men and women between the ages of 22-23 are entering the workforce for the first time after college. Dating anyone with no real life experience isn't probably going to work out in the long term, which is why the 18-21 year old demographic (for men and women) isn't great for any sort of relationship, especially if you're coming at it as someone who's been jaded by years of dumbness in the military.

I dated an undergrad for a while and honestly the best thing about it was that she didn't give a gently caress about the military so I never had to deal with the stupid questions or try to explain it. I have found it more frustrating with date women close to my age because they want to force an understanding that just isn't gonna happen. It's best when someone doesn't give a gently caress and will listen but won't pry.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Maybe don't yell at your voc rehab counselor; if they're stupid enough to work for the VA their lives are hard enough already

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

*soul-aching sound of a slowly growing crack in my confidence at studying creative writing*

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Holy gently caress it got warm out this week and campus is a great place to be

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Grem posted:

Talk about butts all you guys want I'm lusting after girls in those really loose tank top looking things where you can see ample sideboob and sidebra.

Why can't we have both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Aren't you a school teacher? :aatrek:

What the gently caress

• Locked thread