Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

inthesto posted:

Is there some kind of archive torrent or direct download for MBMBaM? It would be kind of annoying to go back through 250+ episodes and download each one individually.

Does your podcast client not allow you to download all episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

inthesto posted:

Podcast.... client...??? :confused:

I assume most media players have a section for podcasts. Ive been using the zune for awhile, but there's others like itunes and others I'm sure you could google. Input the rss feed and then at least in zune you can set it to download every episode if you want

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Toxxupation posted:

geodude shouldn't be the face are you crazy

he's a fuckin rock with arms and he shows up a billion times in every fuckin cave

i mean i'm not "big" on pikachu but it's a good public face for the brand in being a cutesy pokemon that makes the game look fun and inventive and, most importantly, isn't a fuckin rock with fuckin arms

plus the replacement pikachus - plusle, minun, marill to an extent, emolga, pachirisu - they all suck

i mean sure pikachu might not be the best public face nowadays in the sense of its power (although its brand recognition is through the roof), but i dunno what I'd replace it with

lucario? ampharos, maybe? charizard? mewtwo, i guess?

That garbage pokemon cause it's very representative of the series

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I wish I could order a better thread from a sf startup

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I don't like when Griffin is trying to do funny dialogue stuff from the enemies and Justin is just all "I don't care I wanna fight", like the fighting isnt the boring part causes there is never stakes

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Spaced God posted:

So if I want to get into TAZ, do I have to start from episode 1? Or do they reset the campaign from time to time?

Yeah, it's pretty linear. Episode one is not very representative of the whole show cause it was them learning the basics

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

User-Friendly posted:

Combat is the dullest part of D&D, pretty much always. Griffin goofing around with the dialogue and with alternate ways to get around things (like with Hodgepodge) is the best part of the show.

Yeah I totally agree, which is why I wish Justin would let it happen

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Toxxupation posted:

Murder on the Rockport Limited might be the best run of podcasts I've ever heard, especially considering it's all constructed narrative over improvisational/nonfiction/comedy work. I seriously cannot think of a single non-fantastic moment of that entire arc. It's astounding.

Yeah I think that's my favorite arc too, everyone's on fire the entire time

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who REALLY liked Gerblins. It has some of the funniest characters and Magic Brian's death is one of my favorite moments in the series

I like gerblins too. All of MB, the poison cave bit, and klarg are all memorable bits. My list probably goes Rockport, gerblins, first half of petals (bank heist and little jerry), hodgepodge, the rest

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Hello Meow posted:

Griffin's vore obsession is reaching the point where I'm starting to think it might not be a joke anymore.

He's in too deep

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I wish Griffin was a more ruthless dm. it'd make combat episodes way more interesting. I understand you can't kill the main characters at least permanently, but I think some of the side characters shouldn't have the same plot armor. They're expendable cause you can just make more npcs, and it would go a long way for the episodes long combat scenes having some stakes instead of just reenacting the Jedi vs battledroid scenes in star wars

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Whizbang posted:

He killed that smoking dwarf.

Off camera, so it didn't actually help combat be interesting unfortunately, but yeah more of that

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

flatluigi posted:

Adventure Zone's existence as an entertainment podcast takes priority most of the time, and part of why people like it is the characters. I'd hate it personally if Carey and Killian just got smushed against the wall and died in the middle of a combat scene because of an awful roll, even if it makes sense in context of it being a game. Griffin's certainly shown that characters can die though, especially if it fits the narrative really well, so I can forgive it a lot personally

Everyone being fanservice super cool ninjas who blink at enemies and kill them doesn't make for an interesting story to me at least. I actually don't care about the gameplay, but some stakes makes for a better story. In classic story structure you need some falls to make the victory sweeter

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I like the goofs! I just wish the exposition and combat episodes were as interesting, and spitballing ideas to help me find it interesting

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Also, the episode where Merle lost his hand was probably the most engaging the show has ever been because I honestly didn't know how far Griffin was going to let things go.

Yeah that was a cool tense bit for sure!

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
To think, it all started with accepting furries

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Eschatos posted:

I could have done without them spending 15 minutes parting the kimono about Griffin's Amiibo Corner. I suspect several of his co-guests felt the same way.

What are you talking about the whole thing was gold

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

flatluigi posted:

Crystal Kingdom was a good arc, it just wasn't super cohesive and dragged on a little bit. As a string of standalone vignettes it was pretty alright!

It was the worst arc by a mile imo, the whole arc was just a vehicle for exposition for the really uninteresting overarching plot. This new arc is so much more interesting

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Also aren't they pretty senior members at polygon and can basically do whatever they want anyway

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
He's kinda humorless,boring, and doesn't seem interested in playing along with Griffin's nonsense in the quick looks I've seen that pair the two. I don't have anything against him personally though

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
iirc isn't 2's creator supposed to be better featured than 3's?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I wish there was a bit less editing in the nuzlocke run, I know skipping grinding is a good thing, but just seeing a highlight reel makes everything feel disjointed and out of context

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I always crack up when I hear the bit of tacco speaking up about looting the bank

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Tempura Wizard posted:

I am a bad person because I was hoping that Ms. Beakman and Yiffin died. Let's make this a real challenge run for Griffin.

Me too, it's more fun when things go wrong

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

zimbomonkey posted:

The concept of switcheroo episodes was dumb on its face and when they announced it I already knew I'd be taking a week off. It'd be like the NFL "rewarding" fans of football with an exhibition game consisting entirely of baseball players playing really terribly. Why not just give us a longer episode, or maybe even a guest spot (even though I don't like those much either)? The only suitable way to reward fans of the McElroys is with MORE McElroys doing the things they're good at.

Although if they had switched with JJHo I'd be totally down. JJHo is kind of a similar concept to MBMBaM anyway.

I guess the concept would make sense if you were a fan of EVERY MaxFun show, but if that person exists, I haven't seen him.

The idea is to get traffic to less listened shows when you discover you like the new hosts' style

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

myron cope posted:

Paul F Tompkins owns and if he was on MaxFun I'd listen to his show. Wait. Does he have a podcast?

It just ended this January, but he hosted the dead authors podcast, which is hysterical. hes in character as H.G. Wells and interviews other comedians who are in character as a different authors every show. (You do not need to know who the authors even are to enjoy it, the comedians usually know as much as you do)

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Toxxupation posted:

To be fair, Petals to the Metal is too long, it just hides it better by being, essentially, three loosely connected mini-stories as opposed to a singular slog through a glorified "dungeon". It's fine, but it does feel like it doesn't really cohere and it's a difficult story to track its progression. It coulda pruned the entirety of the bank sequence and it probably would've been a stronger story as a result.

The bank section was the best section imo, the boringest bit of petals was the race by far

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

showbiz_liz posted:

I started listening after that arc was completed, and I LOVED the race. Listening to those episodes back-to-back might have made it more listenable, I guess. But the fact that Griffin just invented all of these totally insane racing vehicles and set the guys loose on them for multiple episodes of solid combat was delightful. It felt much less railroaded than some of the dungeon-y arcs, because the objective (stop the Raven from winning) was so simple that it gave the team a ton of freedom to do whatever.

Freedom? They were literally driven through the race setpiece encounters by griffin's npc.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Travis343 posted:

Yeah but it was a race. Them having a driver for the race freed them up to do poo poo like shrink a giant squid to a tiny size, ride a spectral unicorn around, and poo poo. Didn't they mind control one of the other drivers at one point? poo poo was crazy. Griffin says ok, you're on a racetrack, you're driving around the course, here's a bunch of wacky poo poo trying to kill you and break your racecar. Go nuts.

I guess besides gyrll, going through encounters just isn't nearly as interesting to me as when they're goofing on angus or failing to escape vines or robbing a bank or whatever

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I hope he gets a party wipe at some point cause I wanna see the team he builds from his backups

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Waffleman_ posted:

This won't happen because a party wipe is where a Nuzlocke run ends. There would not be a second team because the run would be over.

Why? He's got so many in his box he'll never use otherwise. I don't think he's failed to capture one in every zone. Some might need a few levels, but not an insurmountable problem

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

bowmore posted:

because of the Nuzlocke run rules, TPK = Game Over

That's not in his rules at the start of every video

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

bowmore posted:

it's a thing

Sounds like a thing Griffin would and should ignore if it does happen

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Asiina posted:

This episode felt pretty short and uneventful.

I watched it about an hour ago and already I can't even really recall what happened in it.

Yeah it's really boring when Griffin steamrolls everything. We need some losses to shake things up

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Democratic Pirate posted:

Which will never happen in the main story unless it's a goof or clear that nothing bad will happen from it

Yeah I also wish they'd fudge less, it robs the story of all tension. Even Goku sometimes loses to make the story more hype

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Travis has recently shown he is ready to risk his character and fudge rolls to go off rails when necessary

I'm not sure risk and fudging rolls really belong in the same sentence

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Asiina posted:

Dude has never rolled lower than a 14.

Except when he has advantage so can roll again, then the first roll is bad and the second is always good

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Fanart always devolves into lovely drama. I hate fanart

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Snooze Cruise posted:

It's more fandom than fan art, fan art can be pretty good.

The community tends to center around the fanart, but yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I took up someone's suggestion to listen to friends at the table if you wanted real consequences, and man, Austin Walker is an evil genius at creating tough, no win situations that end with everyone almost dead