Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Jesse Thorn from JJGO! wrote up a tumblr post about some Penny Arcade debacle he unwittingly found himself in. Really paints those PA dudes as giant scumbags if it's true. It's a good read, link here.
I had previously just been piecing it together from listening to part of that "lost episode" and from certain threads in various JJGO! eps. Thanks for posting this.

I mean, just listening was enough for me to judge before, but yeah, the PA guys are really just the worst to everyone except specific segments of their fan base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Bobulus posted:

This is only tangential to the discussion at hand, but Scott Kurtz and Wil Wheaton were participating in those D&D games, and then apparently Kurtz said or did something so vile that Wheaton dropped out of the game and refuses to interact with the guy ever again. I really want to know what happened there.
https://wilwheaton.tumblr.com/post/120140274049/ive-been-watching-some-older-acquisitions-inc

quote:

Scott Kurtz is a person who I had to regretfully remove from my life, because he was lovely not only to me, but to people I love. Repeatedly. I won’t ever do anything with him again, and that’s sad to me, because we really did have fun doing those podcasts.

I dislike Scott Kurtz somewhat less than the PA boys, but it's still really easy to imagine he could mouth off in such a way to offend someone that much. Dude was (probably still is?) super opinionated and completely unconcerned with how people feel about something he says before he says it.

He's a lot easier to take when paired with Kris Straub, but then again just better to go purestrain Straub at that point.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

It warms my drat heart seein' so many Monster Factory costumes this year

https://twitter.com/JamieMcKiernan/status/793130392488378370
The turnaround time on this one was really very good:
https://twitter.com/BirdBanfe/status/792528310458781696

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

showbiz_liz posted:

I really thought Travis might, in just a brief moment of weakness. Wondering if Griffin was actually a little bummed that no one took it. I'm sure he had SOME sort of plan for that situation.
Same.

I can't decide whether Griffin's portrayal of the Chalice's avatar as being disappointed that no one took the offer/everyone could rationalize their past actions says that a) that he was at least somewhat disappointed that no one took it, or b) he's actually a decent "actor".

I mean, it's a classic GM impulse, when you feel like your players are somewhat metagaming and/or avoiding your temporal puzzles.

Either way, regardless of how it makes for Good Tabletop, the way it ended up was Good Podcast.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

The Cake Boss thing always reminds me of Paul F. Tompkins as Cake Boss on Comedy Bang Bang.
It's getting to be that time of year where the Pod F. Tompkast Cake Boss Answers Christmas Questions from Kids is relevant again. It's an extrasode from Dec. 2010 and it's probably my favorite PFT CB bit, a really solid 3 minutes.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Has there ever been a show with one supporting/background (so not quantum leap) actor who is a different character on every episode? Cuz that's a fun bit.
I think the Jim Gaffigan Show did this with McCaulay Culkin in season 1. It's kind of hard to tell.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Bug types took till fifth gen to get good. If that was pre-gen V that was totally accurate. Besides Scizor and arguably Heracross, nobody used Bug types competitively, and it was only because Steel and Fighting were two of the most popular types in the game, with the former being genuinely broken as a typing to the point where TPC invented another type just specifically to counter Steel. If anything Scizor and Heracross being part Bug was a weakness, since the typing has so many weaknesses, so few strengths, and for the longest time there weren't any worthwhile Bug moves besides X-Scissor.
I only really know the first red/blue game but if I recall Pin Missile was a good move, if only because for some reasons certain non-Bug types could learn it (Jolteon comes to mind) and it was good against I want to say Psychic?

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 18, 2016

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

How close is Taako to discovering all the secrets of tacos? They kinda dropped that thread but last I recall he knows:

-Sour cream
-Spicy meat
-Something thing about lettuce
-The concept of grinding
I'd love to see the show bible where it indicates the hosed up Civilization-like tech tree horse poo poo where there are elevators and internal combustion engines but "grinding meat" which has been around the real world for hundreds of years, nope nothing.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Well when Meatgrinder is the name of an Orc down the way, you may not have the same delicious association
*in an extremely Milhouse voice*

Remember when you said meatgrinders never existed because it's an orc's name? But how did they name the orc in the first place, Bart? How did they name him in the first place.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Thank you so much for doing this, within minutes of his post, even.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Hahah oh wow, I get a kick out of this expanding McElroy Extended Family Empire, how is it?
It's fine. It's just fine.

If you like to think about legal issues they do a surface scan of things that tend to be ripped from the headlines.

I like Pappy Smerl well enough but if you don't, Scampi Mike probably won't save it for you. Similar to Still Buffering, they are generally good-natured, not excessively nerdy but also not particularly funny. I think they still need more practice and to break free of their formula before it becomes anywhere near "recommended".

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

As if if I give a dang about how to "properly" spell their last name given how they decided to spell the names of their daughters.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The tweet is deleted now, can ya give me an idea of what he said and why some peeps didn't like it? I see mention of some word used unadvisably or something
I assumed it's another white guy telling people to be patient and calm and listen to the other side while literal out and proud Nazis are normalized around the world, but I love Trav and know he means well so it was prolly something harmless
IDK but there is an extremely good chance he talks about it on the next ep of Interrobang. Possibly Trends Like These.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

GNU Order posted:

It's bullshit that all three mcelroy brothers are white I think Justin should be a black dude instead
You must really like when Garyl shows up on TAZ then.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Finally got to the TAZ live ep today. Further cementing Stuart as my favorite Flophouser.

It was a really good idea for a one-off.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I hate reality shows but gave Terrace House a shot. It's a slow burn but it's shot incredibly well and has no talking heads. It does have a team of commentators, which take some time to warm to. Everyone is pretty polite and seem like fairly decent people. It's also designed as a Netflix distributed show so there's no commercials and recapping is pretty limited.

It's like reality tv that was invented in a different dimension. Worth a shot if you have Netflix anyway. I'm not sure how long we'll stick with it as reading subtitles for 48 episodes of a slow-paced show might get old quick.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Part of the thing with many podcasts without a friendly recommendation, no one knows where to jump in. MBMBaM have Youtube, and particularly samplers, that they encourage people to share. SPF is a great show but I couldn't really say much other than the standard "try and find an episode with a comedian you like as the star" method. Some podcasts (Overdue comes to mind) are smart and have a recommended list of easily-accessed episodes on their reasonably-easy-to-find websites.

On the other hand, podcasts are free and discoverable anytime, and people won't even try a random (or the newest) ep of a podcast they're not sure about, or else just jump to conclusions based on an ad.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The tweet is deleted now, can ya give me an idea of what he said and why some peeps didn't like it? I see mention of some word used unadvisably or something
I assumed it's another white guy telling people to be patient and calm and listen to the other side while literal out and proud Nazis are normalized around the world, but I love Trav and know he means well so it was prolly something harmless

Kenny Logins posted:

IDK but there is an extremely good chance he talks about it on the next ep of Interrobang. Possibly Trends Like These.
Just to come back to this (without wanting to rehash out the drama), if anyone was interested on Travis's take he did end up talking about this incident on the Dec. 8 ep of Interrobang, starts at ~10:15 and goes to ~34:30. He does a pretty thorough job of explaining what happened and what he was thinking.

In case there were some middlest brother fans who were concerned about him, or something.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

Can it be summed up by "Travis worries too much" ?
That, largely, and that he lets Twitter get to him, and he is not always sufficiently precise with his language, particularly on Twitter.

The lynchpin is that he said "be patient" generally to someone who was upset instead of "be patient with me because I'm slow on this kind of thing". He apologized privately to that person, who accepted it privately, then that person turned around and publicly said they felt it was a non-apology and that really upset him.

If he had written a single blog post with disabled comments instead of trying to wrangle a dozen+ reply Twitter thread he probably wouldn't have had this blow up in his face and wreck his week. Particularly at a time where he's all hosed up on being a new dad.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

That person sounds like an rear end in a top hat.
It does; it's also just Travis's side of things.

Even assuming the best of the other person, after all that back-and-forth you'd think they would just bring it up again with him and try to hash it out one last time, rather than give up, and publically throw their hands up about how A McElroy Just Doesn't Get It.

The big take-away here for me is: it's kind of sad that Travis is having such a hard time moving from minor internet celebrity status, to the next step, where 1) you can't treat all people who correspond with you as fans/friends to be given full access and 2) you come to peace with the fact that you can never make everyone happy no matter how hard you try.

I think Griffin and Justin have already done so for the most part, because they work as Games Journalists and have already had their baptism by fire.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Taako through Justin is a good example of good D&D player progression. It started with a broad accent, quirky yet well-trod character class concept, with a few hooks to hang things on. Over time, with at least some mindfulness, he developed into this hybrid of Justin's id and the original character which meshes with the group and that no one else can play quite the same way.

Taako is bar none the most dynamic and interesting PC of THB, it's not hard to get why people are thirsty for him. Granted, it's still fair to say he owes a lot of his popularity to the support from his dad and brother who let him shine.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I want a Cool Games Inc with Justin, Travis and Nick's bro Porter, called His Brother, His Brother and His Brother.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Based on my experience with Mutants & Masterminds d20, which isn't even a particularly good supers game, if Clint ever gets a supers campaign off the ground it could be great, since it presumably wouldn't have the same wizard-supremacy problems that D&D tends toward.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Lately Travis has been trying to do more creative gadget/fancy maneuver non-magic tricks that his concept (in this system) isn't oriented towards doing. There's one in particular from a couple eps back where he was fighting the flying electrified dire bear. Griffin barely let it through IIRC but it seemed kind of played down.

In a system that puts gadget/skill supers like Hawkeye or Batman on par with magic/alien powered heroes I think he would facilitated towards doing fun cool stuff rather than the advantage/disadvantage of the current D&D 5e. Even later editions of Shadowrun with its "Edgelord" (i.e. luck master) builds would work better than this.

E: phone posting but I'll try to think of some more examples of systems that avoid the fighter-wizard problems we've been talking about.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 19, 2017

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

travis has been complaining for a while that his character is weak damage wise compared to the other 2, so it makes sense that he's trying to get his damage in other ways.

griffin really needs to buff railsplitter or give him a new weapon. +1 at level 12 is kinda real lovely.

The Chance Lance was a good move in that direction. The problem is he will always be equipment-dependent. He can't just say he has a projectile weapon or a piece of gear in the same way that Justin or Clint seem to consistently get away with saying they have spells they didn't prepare beforehand.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

greatn posted:

I don't blame Griffin for shutting Travis down in TAZ because everytime he asks for an action Travis gives him like a five paragraph essay with about twenty different actions his character is going to take.
My feeling on it, based on tabletop experience, is that because of a choice Travis made early as a beginner on he is stuck playing a low engagement class (i.e. "Hit Very Hard, Block Attack, and Hit Very Hard Again") when he's now ready to play something with higher engagement and more options. He has to make a 5 paragraph essay to get to do what he finds entertaining and fun because (Griffin's interpretation of) what a fighter can legitimately do in this system forces him to do that to make his case.

Meanwhile, Justin (and occasionally Clint) get to throw out spells they COULD have and Griffin's like "you probably didn't have that ready but it would be fun to let you do it so go ahead". He rarely shuts spellcasters down because spells/effects make for good radio and he can twist them to convey information he wants to get out there (via blink, or detect magic, etc). That's cool for them but I feel bad for Travis. A happy (podcast) player is more likely to be a more entertaining one, after all.

If the campaign ends and they'd consider a new system, I'd say just pick literally anything else that puts all the players on more or less equal footing, now that they all have experience. Ideally, a system that encourages cinematic actions/stunting since that's what they obviously like, and listeners seem to as well. As an off-the-cuff pull of a system I've read but not played, Feng Shui could be loads of fun for them. Anything that lets someone like Travis approach things as "I put ranks in Being Batman, so I'm gonna Be Batman at this problem in the following way..." would be an improvement, to my mind.

I had mentioned a supers campaign earlier upthread because I think it's something a lot of people might have an easier time with running narratively, and because the genre intrinsically allows for shifting/smudging character classes/concepts (Spiderman gets the Venom suit for this arc, etc.) and it's also oriented around having discrete plot arcs which makes for good radio.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I'm not familiar enough with D&D 5e in particular but assuming they went druid/cleric/wizard (i.e. different spell lists) I could see this working quite well, as a compromise.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMzD_UuCQdI

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Who is watching Terrace House Aloha State!?

I just found out there's only eight episodes out and I'm dying.
We started, but the 8 episode thing (for now) made it not as much of a priority as the Boys IN THE HOUSE and Girls in the City.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ALFbrot posted:

I love Griffin and I know he does a lot of work, but man, I don't remember Justin constantly complaining about baby-induced lack of sleep (maybe he did, but I didn't hear about it in 2-3 different places like Griffin) and I don't remember Travis mentioning it once
Travis hasn't mentioned it on TAZ or MBMBaM but he has on others (Interrobang, Shmanners, Trends Like These, probably Bunker Buddies if I still listened to it).

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Some of my favorite Polygon overviews and Monster Factories involved Griffin chatting with randos in mmos, hoping this is mainlining that.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I finally watched the new WoW based project and, uh... as someone who 100% avoided WoW for the past 13 years, is there any way someone new could understand what's going on? He talks about trying to make his way to this place or that and I just can't make heads or tails of it at all.

Not that it's much of a detriment, for the most part. It's not bad for a pilot ep.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

well why not posted:

http://uproxx.com/tv/my-brother-my-brother-and-me-seeso-show-interview/2/

includes a new trailer for the Seeso TV show - Feb 23rd it drops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYSCjwc6pEo

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

showbiz_liz posted:

I've never played WoW, the trick is to not care. He's in [fantasy town], he's trying to get to [other fantasy town], end of story.
Oh, it's not that I care, it just made me think that the game's newcomer experience in 2017 must be utterly perplexing.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Judging by the uproxx interview and the trailers and what the brothers have said about it so far, the draw of the show is that we don't know what it's going to be, and that feeling is preserved for basically every episode.

I kind of feel like it's going to be a new-sincere non-surreal Check It Out! with Steve Brule type affair. I'm OK with this.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

VanSandman posted:

Also holy poo poo does Griffin love to play 'disarm the party' too much.
It's kind of clear from that that Tumblr post a few weeks back that he wrestles with power creep in D&D games, perhaps overly so. He thinks it's going to be a problem, so it becomes problematic.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SoupyTwist posted:

But he's a rogue now too, doesn't that let him do more interesting stuff? (Although how rogue-like can he be if he rushes in all the time)
If fighters didn't exist, rogues would be the "most useless and easily outclassed by magic users" class.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

TAZ should use RISUS rules.

Running a one-off game of that was just about the most fun I've ever had in a tabletop.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

It would be fun if, at the end of this campaign, they do a mini-campaign (i.e. one arc) where they are all playing reasonably potent monster PCs.

Then in the next campaign, they are playing characters which, to their chagrin, have to undo/confront their monster characters and their actions.

Hey, it worked for Assassin's Creed III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

It's Always Adventure in Zone, starring:

Glenn Howerton as Taako;
Rob McElhenney as Magnus; and
Danny DeVito as Merle.

Title card: "Magnus 2: On the Move"