Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Pleads posted:

He argues some dumb mechanical points with the DM pretty consistently and towards the end starts making some weird comments. He's pretty clearly a power-gamer trying to "win" all the time.
My favorite defusing of this kind of thing is in the first episode of Harmonquest where Paul F. Tompkins tries to (and convincingly does) argue why he should have more NPC backup in a fight and the GM replies in-character with a simple "these are all reasonable points" and moves on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Went back to rewatch an old Polygon Quiplash with someone who's been thrown down the Memory Hole and god drat if "I ate my dad, I'll eat your dad, gently caress you" and "where's the taint button" aren't still amazing.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SpacePig posted:

UH OH!

Nick getting very upset at being consistently UH OH!-ed is probably my favorite thing he ever did. He just got so immediately salty about it. I love it.
He then immediately got reverse UH OH!ed (i.e. tried using UH OH! himself and losing big) next game. So great.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Quintuple vampire sounds like a Nick Kroll character.

Also I was screaming at them to apply their previous double ghost logic to the question.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Tears In A Vial posted:

One of the adverts at the beginning of the new Dollop is for another new John Roderick podcast. As well as doing Friendly Fire, a war movie podcast, with the guys from MaxFun's GreatestGen, Roderick also seems to be doing a 'time capsule' podcast with Ken Jennings, called Omnibus.

Apparently this was announced ages ago, but this is the first I've heard of it.
I remember that being mentioned on Roderick On The Line. Thanks for the heads up.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

I just have no idea who this convention is meant for. It sounds like it's mostly for people who make podcasts, and not people who consume podcasts. If you're a podcast creator, workshops like that are probably nifty and helpful. As someone who only consumes podcasts, most of the agenda it looks like there isn't much to get out of it.
I just assume these things are for writers and stand-up/improv comedians because those creative groups basically have to have a side hustle these days to generate any sort of profile. That hustle is often a podcast.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

KoB posted:

Listening to the last non-live show mbmbam and I think Griffin thinks Gordon Ramsey is english?
If you mean this most recent ep (385, Horses in the Drift) there is a single mention of Ramsey going back to the United Kingdom. Which includes Scotland and other countries (for now).

It was a great ep too.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Travis was on the very fun Good Christian Fun podcast talking about McGee And Me

https://www.goodchristianfun.com/listen/mcgeeandme
I hope they answer the question of how is McGee in a Christian weltanschauung.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Re: Good Christian Fun, never knew about the whole Mother McElroy being the church secretary for her career then having them aggressively try to cut her off their insurance once she got cancer.

gently caress.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

They start off with a few minutes on Travis's background and when he walked away from being super-churchy. As far as they go that's a drat good reason.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

What's crazy is I remember reading a McGee and Me book (novelization?) as a kid, which didn't even have the draw of animation.

It was about not letting kids watch scary movies because it rots their brains IIRC. It was pretty insufferable then, probably worse now.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

soupcan58 posted:

I completely forgot that was a thing until you brought that up. I can almost guarantee there's a copy of that somewhere at my parents, considering they were a little controlling on what I could and couldn't read/watch. The "Christian vs. secular media" deal is why I'm still catching up on music and books from the 90's that are widely considered great but I just missed.
I think it might have just been a borrow-a-book thing from our local church or something. It wasn't the only type of thing I read as a kiddo but it surely was among the worst.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

New Butt Order posted:

PbtA is an interesting system because it's pretty easy to die, but unless you have exceptionally bad luck, you also don't have to give up your character until you as a player are actually ready to do so. Apocalypse World, the original game, gives you about four or five codified ways to come back from the dead and most of the other variants follow suit. It's entirely possible we'll have a character die, but it's less likely that they'll stay that way. That could be interesting in its own way too.
Based on the source material (Buffy/Angel/Supernatural) yeah there will be no problem coming back from the dead, albeit somewhat changed.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SpacePig posted:

Yahoo will always have Todd, though, so there's hope.
I milkshake ducked Todd a while back actually. Sorry.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 9, 2018

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SpacePig posted:

So that's, what, a -3 modifier? -4?

e: Isn't his body also frail enough that he needs, like, 100 pillows on his bed?
He needs them, for strength, and energy.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Just finished the first Amnesty ep, good stuff with the minor thing of

mlmp08 posted:

edit: Justin made a completely reasonable and good decision after that gunshot bit, and it was funny to hear Griffin's wheels turning as he realized that this park ranger was just like "nope, there's cops for this poo poo."
Yeah it's not a great look to sell the game as "no guns to start, you're normies, also ANYONE CAN DIE" and then make fun of someone for (reasonably) calling the cops to have them play the game for them after being immediately confronted with a gun-wielding stranger.

The scene might have worked better with a minor alteration of Pigeon having a machete and was opening the door partially to take wild swings instead of using a shotgun, or maybe waving a torch through a cracked door or something.

Still, that extremely minor thing aside it's looking good as hell.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

The end of the most recent MBMBaM had an ad for Friendly Fire which is a collab between The Greatest Generation guys and John Roderick of Roderick On The Line (and other great shows). First real ep is talking about Saving Private Ryan. It's pretty decent if you like war movies.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Tears In A Vial posted:

Did you listen to episode 0? Apparently they've already recorded like twenty episodes. I know Greatest Gen record pretty far in advance, but twenty episodes in the can before releasing even one is crazy to me.
I did but I didn't catch that part. I guess it makes sense, knowing John's schedule.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Alaois posted:

I feel like Griffin massively misread the intentions behind Monster of the Week, a game where some of the base playbook choices are things like "a literal divine warrior", "a half-man, half-monster who has chosen to fight for good", "an acolyte of an ancient order dedicated to fighting monsters" and such, each with a plethora of options when it comes to weaponry and monster killing goodness, and says "okay none of you have guns or are an established monster hunting team"
Seems like vanilla d20 Modren would be more apropos.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I like Trends Like These and the addition of Courtney Enlow has been extremely good.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I look forward to Travis starting the second season of TAZ as GM only to hand over the reins to some millennial comedy/drama lady he almost certainly met in LA and just smash the button for the ejection seat.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Welp, didn't think I'd see the day when the Angel of Death is compared to David S. Pumpkins. Dust is neat.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Not Operator posted:

I dunno if Janet Varney just has a lot of free time or if Travis somehow cornered her on that JoCo cruise or what but I'm glad to hear her regardless.
I think she was an organizer on LA Podfest as well. Jesse Thorn also knows her for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Not Operator posted:

Yeah? She co-founded and organises SF sketchfest too.

I guess that answers my question, lot of free time.
I might be mixing up the two, tbqh. Yours sounds legit, she definitely a co-founder if one or the other last I heard.

Love her on Stan Against Evil.