Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

this should not be ignored, and in fact should replace the entirety of the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Uhh Yeah Dude pulls in about 8k a month and it's enough for Seth to quit his job managing a dispensary.

UYD isn't subscription-based though, it just has a Patreon

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

griffin is branching out to the lift and carry fetishists

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

poor life choice posted:

I can't be annoyed with stale content from a Facebook fan group. I think with the exception of the McElroys getting folks to donate to charity causes (which is wonderful!), all I'd ever expect from a fan community centered around a handful of podcast personalities are variations on "I love thing," "found a reference to thing in the wild," "fanart of thing." And that's okay.

and don't forget the extra spice you find on threads in this forum: trying to psychoanalyze loving everything about the hosts

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

They talk like a bunch of obnoxious nerds that all want to be THE JOKES GUY.

he says, in the thread for the McElroy brothers

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

There's a wide gulf between wanting to be the Jokes Guy and actually being funny a lot of people on a lot of podcasts never quite cross.

okay then I'll just say it

Justin is the only funny McElroy.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Griffin may be the best at rants and quick goofs but he's sometimes insufferable when he interrupts people to he can get to the joke faster.
OR when he does it because he thinks his joke is going to be better.

We get it, you're very funny but other people are funny too.

I have the same issue with Elliot in The Flop House. He's the smartest and the funniest but he can't let anyone else have the spotlight.

the difference is that elliot is actually funny and not incredibly grating and trying to shove stupid vocabulary into every joke he makes

i tried relistening to the McElroy-run episode of the flophouse, it's excruciating

Alaois fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 24, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you people have a very weird aversion to voices that i will never understand

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

this guy.......has a slightly high pitched voice.........................what the gently caress

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Why... are you in this thread, then?

I like Sawbones

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alls I knows is that only one McElroy has been in a Jon Bois video, and that McElroy was Sydnee.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Deport The Irish posted:

Legitimately my favorite thing about The Flophouse is watching this thread throw a collective temper tantrum every time someone does as little as saying the name of one of the hosts.

To be fair, that's basically what happens in every thread in this subforum when another podcast is mentioned.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gryphon McElroy, which is a baby bald eagle's head and wings on a kitten's body

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

WHAT

oh thank god

Wikipedia posted:

Simon Fuller announced in a statement in October 2016 that the group would be reuniting to work on a new 'digital entertainment experience'. More details on this project are to be announced in 2017.[47]

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

It's the scientist dude from the Crystal Kingdom arc I'd think

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rick posted:

Yeah, I love this podcast, at least as much as Adventure Zone (I basically listen to it on the dead week of Adventure Zone), but have a similar feeling. I started listening during Counter/Weight, which used a system(s) where there weren't a ton of failures, and the ones that happened were impactful. I went back and listened to the first season though and found myself getting quite annoyed at how harsh the penalties were for failures on rolls that it was almost impossible to get the best result on. Yeah I get it if the players are rolling low (and at least the players get experience for that) but the fact that the only way the players could avoid a bad consequence was to get a 10 (with modifiers) on a d10 dice, and that the consequences for rolling 8 or 9s were often character-threatening situations annoyed me. I know the rules specifically say the DM can make a move "as hard as they want" in these situations but drat, too harsh.

Although, maybe I'll counter myself here and say that in the end, the story really benefited from this a few times so maybe it's all right.

I'm not really a fan of Dungeon World and think it misses a lot of the design that makes Apocalypse World (the system that Dungeon World, The Sprawl and Blades in the Dark are all based on) a really good game, and that's one of the issues. Trying to adapt a more abstracted system into a dungeon crawler with classic D&D elements means you're rolling a lot more than you otherwise should be, and the "miss/partial success/full success" system starts to break down.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that's why it's funny, nerd

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

my opinion lifts and has an even tan and impressive facial hair

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*rappels in through a skylight* DID SOMEONE IMPUGN THE HONOR OF GRIFFIN MACELROY

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

But that's what half the TAZ posts in this thread already are, and it's the loving worst!

hey now, some of them are complaining that they had the gall to let other people do an episode instead of skipping a week

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I'd appreciate examples of how the podcast could improve by switching systems. I don't know enough about these systems to visualize/imagine the difference.

Season 2 of friends at the table, they switched from Mechnoir (which is based on a great system, just not one that lends itself well to fast-paced podcast storytelling) to The Sprawl.

Oh i thought you were asking for an example of a podcast that improved by switching systems. Basically, D&D 5 is super unbalanced and lovely, and also supports lovely people. There are other systems out there designed to be much more mechanically lightweight and straitforward, while encouraging the players to contribute to the story as much as the DM does. Something like Fiasco, a good example of play being the Giant Beastcast's 2015 Christmas Special episode.

timp posted:

I agree, but they play it anyways because it is the D&D. Concessions are made because, well, that's-how-you-play this game. Explaining that, no, they're not playing the D&D that you've heard of before, but a different obscure tabletop game instead, would not play the way that the current podcast plays.

I'm saying that I don't think it matters if a different game is actually better to listen to, or easier to play. They're playing D&D because it's D&D. Your grandma has heard of Dungeons and Dragons. A second playthrough may afford them some wiggle room with editions/rules, but like I said, I think it's rather unlikely.

this is loving awful reasoning, which is why it wouldn't surprise me if it's the reasoning griffin uses

Alaois fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 20, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

what is your beef with griffin for real?

For real? I used to think he was great, but over time I started getting annoyed at the lingo. It feels so incredibly forced and not natural at all. It put me off entirely.

Like seriously, try listening to the Rose Buddies Max Fun commercial, and think about what it sounds like to someone who isn't ingrained in it already.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ariong posted:

I am absolutely sure that they will never switch from DnD 5e except probably when they switch to DnD 6e. That being said, boy it sure would be nice if Magnus had abilities besides Hit Very Hard, Block Attack, and Hit Very Hard Again.

That's pretty reasonable. I certainly get annoyed when people tell inside jokes that I'm not in on, and that feeling sometimes doesn't go away when I am in on it. However, not liking the way a guy talks is (imo) not a justification for saying something like...

... which is a straight up insult. Why so rude?

I'm sorry, I'm a rude person. That's a legitimate apology by the way, not a "heh, sorry you don't like me being an rear end in a top hat :smug:" kind of thing. I really have to try to stop.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

I swear this exact same argument has happened like three times in this thread. It always ends with people who keep repeating how much better Dungeon World is than D&D, and Alaois yelling about role play mechanics and how much he hates the shows/the McElroys.

I like Justin

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Again, I am going to approach this from a position of complete honesty, the fact that they are using and seem committed to continue using D&D 5e has always and will always leave a bad taste in my mouth because of the people who were involved in the making of D&D 5e, even when I was a fan and regular listener of the Adventure Zone.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

da beeper king BABY posted:

Got a link? I'm not aware of the drama.

I am currently waiting on a link to a blog post that goes into detail about everything but the gist is D&D 5e has special consultancy credits for Zak Sabbath aka Zak S and a guy named TheRPGPundit, both of whom are massive serial abusers of anybody who they consider to be "the wrong kind of gamer" and Zak S especially has a long history of doxxing and stalking/harassing trans people out of the hobby.

When confronted with this, the project lead/lead designer of 5e, Mike Mearls, went on Google+ and privately assured the two that nothing would happen and that he has their back.

e: got the link http://failforward.co.uk/post/93348768153/how-dungeons-and-dragons-is-endorsing-the-darkest

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Keep it D&D but make it all wizards. Wizard quest.

Then you're just playing Ars Magica :v:

or Unknown Armies if you really wanna get weird

Alaois fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 20, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

inthesto posted:

Is the class of Zhubin's character ever actually mentioned? I was wondering about that.

Also, it's worth noting that the Flophouse episodes have had a total of two fights across five hours of podcast. They're even more story-oriented and combat-light than the McElroys.

Yeah Tanzer is a fighter, but his weapons are a rapier and a whip which aren't quite what you'd call standard fighter gear.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wake and bake is a massive loving baby any time anyone mentions roleplaying games in this thread, presumably because he is a massive loving baby irl

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Crisco Kid posted:

The Flophouse is probably the only time I've ever seen a group of podcast hosts and instantly knew who each one was.

Yeah it's super easy, Stuart is the huge party animal lookin dude, Elliot is the scrawny little nerdlinger and Dan looks like the anthropomorphized concept of depression.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kojiro posted:

Yeah that's a load of nonsense sorry

no need to get all chuffed up about it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Favorite part of Safety Town: the inexplicable Chad Pennington banner

Nothing inexplicable about some Chad Pennington love in Huntingdon, he and Randy Moss should be co-Mayor for Life.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mikeycp posted:

I could say the same about any regular non-McElroy podcast too. Editing out boring or bad bits is good but like nobody else does it.

Do you seriously think the McElroys are the only people on the goddamned planet who edit their podcasts

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wake_N_Bake posted:

I'm not being an rear end. Submitting one cool item, awesome. Submit 10, yeah, he said he's not going to read it. Submit 150? That's over the top, and I'd expect most people to realize that.

No you're just being the baby idiot rear end in a top hat you always are whenever anyone mentions roleplaying games in this thread, presumably because a copy of GURPS fell off a shelf in a bookstore and killed your dad

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

pee out my butt posted:

It's always the TAZ people. I don't know why the MBMBAM and Rose Buddies people are so cool but DND makes everyone lose their poo poo.

No, it's always Wake_N_Bake. People can be discussing TAZ/rpgs in a totally normal, reasonable way and he'll come in and just stomp his little feetsies and shake his fists and hold his breath until everyone pays attention to him

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gitaroo man is the actual GOTG from that era

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bonk posted:

Looks like everybody's cribbing MF's style now.

http://www.pcgamer.com/show-us-your-custom-mass-effect-andromeda-characters/

I mean yeah, obviously Justin and Griffin don't have a trademark on creating horrible characters, but it's awfully suspicious that out of sheer coincidence two other prominent gaming sites are suddenly rushing to say "Hey guys look at our totally original ugly characters!"

you mean that article you just linked of a site requesting its users to send in their own creations, which is completely different in practice and philosophy from Monster Factory?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

anthonypants posted:

All true.

I didn't participate, of course, because I was taking photographic evidence.

podcasts are a mistake

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thanks, i always wondered what Deja Vu would sound like if it were a worse song, completely drained of life or impression