Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

The OP is missing a seminal early McElroy masterpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y1dUD8tr8k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

I hope it's Shrek

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

That Safari crack, though
I'm really glad I was alone in my car when I listened to this episode because I was laughing like an idiot at this and the entire question

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

GAC is perfect but Monster Factory is the funniest loving thing on the internet. So Amiibos.

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 22, 2016

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Similarly, I wonder how many people were completely confused by Griffin's RuPaul's Drag Race reference in this week's MBMBaM.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Me neither, maybe it has to do with when you're billed? I get billed on the 17th of every month...

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

I lost it at "I may not have an open mind about this Amiibo, but I can still have an open mouth"

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Some ~scandalous~ revelations in The The Adventure Zone Zone on roll-fudging. Also I see why they were cautious about it, but it is perfect that (I guess I'll spoil this? better safe than sorry) Taako is gay and I don't think they need to worry about being offensive.

e:also Carey Pietsch does amazing fanart of this podcast, here's her take on Adventure Zone: Nights (donate if you don't already, you dorks)
http://twitter.com/careydraws/status/710512422507954177

e2: jfc I can't spell

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 17, 2016

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

I like how they bleeped it out but it's super obvious what Clint's tattoo would be a 20 sided die, rolled 1 side up.
Gooncred: I used to own a shirt like that with "that's how I roll" underneath

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Which episode was that in again? I need to listen to that again, it was incredibly funny

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

I've seen Casper ads on the NYC Metro

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

oh my god I can't wait two whole weeks for the next TAZ

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Ariong posted:

Given that Jenkins' signature spell according to Taako's umbrella was Feather Fall, I was sure that Jenkins didn't really die.
That's what I thought too, but it's also possible someone else killed him later.

There's no way I'm not making all these robots in Fallout now (except Mr. Upsie, gently caress him)

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Ariong posted:

Three minutes in to the video and I had to pause it because I couldn't get a breath in between laughs.
I made the mistake of watching it in public, I really should've known better by now

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

In fairness, it was just for a standard doobie year.
Yeah but that's 55 days longer than a calendar year

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

A good (and spooky) TAZ.

Also, my OTP:
https://twitter.com/cornhime/status/723231963910443009

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Yesss, I totally suggested Stone Shape to Clint when he was asking for suggestions on which spells to learn. I certainly didn't expect it to be used for that.

Cael posted:

I actually just started listening to Rose Buddies this morning when on a long car trip. I've never seen The Bachelor but I love listening to it.

But the worst part of the show is the many references to Ru Paul's Drag Race which is the podcast I still hold out hope they'll do someday. Such a tease ...
:agreed: on all counts

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Thank Travis for Travis.

I alternated between thinking Griffin and Justin were funniest for a while, but now I just appreciate all of them for their different styles. All brothers best brothers.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Didn't see this mentioned here yet... For anyone who lives in New England and sucks too much to post in the Boston thread, my tweetsprayers have finally been answered:
https://twitter.com/MBMBaM/status/737313134994554881

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Personally, my cry-laugh moment was when Griffin deleted the floor

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Count me in as one of the people who is extremely excited about this arc. Fuuuck I can't wait for the next episode.

Also, someone drew this already:
https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/743709232348880897

While I'm on Griffin's twitter:
https://twitter.com/TaraLongest/status/743691816948510721

e: there is also excellent fanart of a certain NPC from the new arc already

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 17, 2016

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

I have a theory... remember when Kravitz said he was after them because they had each already died a number of times? Could he have been talking about them dying in Refuge, however that would work with time fuckery? Or was that explained by something else?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I think the whole switcheroo was a bad idea. I didn't really like anything that came out of it except for the McElroy Flophouse episode, and even that was just okay.
I agree, but with the notable exception of it being partially responsible for the introduction of Carrie Fangbattle. gently caress yeah Team Sweet Flips.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Hi I'm trans and RuPaul says some stupid poo poo but he's not transphobic (and personally I am pissed that people waste their time and energy attacking our allies for minor things instead of organizing to fight the people who are actively working against us). I'm not gonna go into this, since this isn't the appropriate place, but Scudworth's post is a very good discussion of it.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Travis343 posted:

Do you guys ever feel weird or creepy for knowing this much about these guys? I re-listen to old episodes a lot and basically I have compiled a thorough mental profile of the McElroy bros and their family at this point and sometimes I feel a little weird about that
Sometimes, but I also feel that way about David Sedaris, having read all of his books. I haven't personally exchanged tweets with him, unlike the McElroys, so that feels creepier.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:siren: NEW TAZ IS UP :siren:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Teddybear posted:

The TAZ live show was fantastic. A few new characters, a few returning characters, a happy-ish ending, and some real funny stuff. Looking forward to y'all hearing it later this year.

let's go jeff angel :3:
gently caress yes it was awesome. They liked my costume, too. :kimchi:

(Also it was nice to meet you!)

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Teddybear posted:

The folks over by me were like "oh poo poo look it's Hurley! dope!"
Awesome. People were super nice, and a couple people approached me for photos... including a girl in the bathroom when I was trying to fix my "elf" ears.

Ursus Veritas posted:

You and the Garryl cosplayer loving rocked it!
Thanks! Yeah she and her Magnus buddy were fantastic. I also saw a Cassidy and someone with a Void Fish umbrella.

Really wish I could attend the MBMBaM show tonight, I'm sure it's going to be as awesome as last night's live show.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Teddybear posted:

I was probably naive to think that folks would get my joke since you'd have to be there the night before.

Also it's not funny.
Actually that's hilarious

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

I recall that the podcast you select as your favorite in the MaxFun donation process gets more of your money? (I think I heard that on ONRAC.) No idea exactly how that is split.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

So you can just listen to the podcast without any context and enjoy it? How the heck does that work, do they do a decent rundown if what happened each ep?
Yes, that is exactly it, with Rachel and Griffin's hilarious commentary. It's also the loving Bachelor franchise so it's not like there's that much to cover.

I tried watching along, but I couldn't stomach actually watching the show all the way through, so I stopped after like 2 episodes. The podcast is still very funny.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

I think we can all agree, though: gently caress Rod.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

was it really an accident though

Whizbang posted:

The only thing funnier than those chips was Griffin's reaction to those chips.
I was watching this with headphones in while my bf was sleeping so I had to nearly suffocate myself to keep from waking him up with my guffaws at this part of the video

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Halfway in and it's good. Also drat I never thought I'd utter these words but I gotta get that zine

https://www.generosity.com/community-fundraising/the-adventure-zine-fan-art-for-facing-hunger
Holy poo poo, they've already raised $18k. Awesome!

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

A+ Stephen as well

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

General Dog posted:

Griffin is a little bit pudgier in some of his polygon videos than I envisioned him. All those Amibos must be high in calories
I mean he's not rail-thin but having met the dude, he wasn't particularly pudgy. also bringing that up is kinda weird???

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

misadventurous posted:

Travis is such a big sweet goober, it didn't surprise me at all that he'd be the one to give his character a gutting backstory.

It amazes me that this largely improv DnD podcast that grew organically out of a premade Forgotten Realms scenario has the level of storytelling that it does so i'm inclined to cut the boys some slack when they don't consistently hit the emotional beats just right. Like even its best Big Emotion moments are more adorably twee than anything.
I used to roll my eyes a little at Travis's positivity, but once I realized it was 100% genuine, not an affectation, and that he's just that sweet of a dude, reading his super-upbeat tweets actually makes my day a little better.

Griffin really deserves a lot of credit for making TAZ special. That isn't to say that the other three aren't amazing, but for a first-time DM with minimal roleplaying and creative writing experience, he's put together a really compelling story and setting, as well as a huge cast of NPCs that are far more emotionally resonant and memorable than I expected. I think he's gotten a lot better at DMing over the course of this--I still wish sometimes that he'd be a little less concrete in how he explains stuff to the players (like telling them he's going to try to convince them rather than having them roll) and focus more on descriptive stuff in combat (which is hard to keep interesting, to be fair), but he's definitely improved in those areas. This last arc has really demonstrated that he took people's advice to heart re: railroading and player choice. I'm frankly really surprised he managed to avoid the DMPC trap (for those of you who are unfamiliar, a DMPC is a character played by the DM who is inserted basically as their own player character, and is usually super overpowered and does everything with/for the party), which pretty much every single first time GM I've seen has fallen into.

Basically, I never expected to be this invested in a game that I wasn't actually a part of, and it's become my absolute favorite podcast. I didn't realize quite how much I missed P&P games until this came along. I'll be sad when this storyline ends, but I'm glad it will actually have a concrete ending rather than dragging on until it fizzles out. TAZ Nights has the potential to be really good too once Travis gets a little more DMing experience under his belt--the PCs are just as great and I think the setting will be fun.

ANYWAY THAT'S MY BIG OL' POST ABOUT DUNGEONS & DRAGONS & DAD

Beekeeping and You posted:

Honestly, the thing that got me the most in the episode was the description of Phandolin burning, and travis's little sharp intake of breath at Jule's offer. Like, you know he was actually crying.
Same here. I wouldn't say it's the best episode ever, but there were some pretty excellent moments (both funny and serious) and overall I think the momentum was pretty good.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

I got Margaret Cho vs. Alec Baldwin and actually sat there thinking about it for several minutes

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

just finished the TAZ ep, holy guacamole that was well executed, although I was SUPER WORRIED when Roswell separated from their golem body that they were doing a heroic suicidal sacrifice. Thank goodness Griffo wouldn't do that to us. The only thing I was remotely disappointed by was that no one (beyond Isaac, I suppose) was pissed at them about their behavior in the loops--I was looking forward to that. But given the time lapse and the overall outcome, it's reasonable that they weren't.

There goes my theory about the loops explaining the number of deaths! Kravitz suggested they added more, so this arc can't explain the number (plus the different numbers for each of the boys). So it must be from that staticky period in the flashbacks. I have to wonder what happened to Sheriff Isaac, though, since they didn't check in with him and I don't remember anything being said in the epilogue about him? Obviously he's not in charge anymore.

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

That definitely overtook Rockport as my favourite arc.
Same here. So very good.

poor life choice posted:

I wonder if Magnus actually did use the cup or some combination of artifacts in the past to rewrite history and end up a carpenter instead of whatever a red robe is. Or maybe the red robes are parallel universe evil mustache versions of the adventuring group.
I dunno, I don't think they are necessarily evil. I don't think Griffin gives a poo poo about alignment, so I doubt being evil is required to be a lich. The story is clearly more complicated than what the boyz have been told, or maybe even than the Director knows.

Just a reminder y'all, if you want to donate toward The Adventure Zine and Facing Hunger, the campaign is ending on 9/25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

I asked Travis on Twitter which fanart version of Magnus was closest to what was in his head and he totally said Carey's.

(Also I met her at the Boston show and she is very sweet and cool)