Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Blaseball deserves to win purely for how absolutely furious it made all the gamers voting against it in the Listener's Choice bracket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

AndrewP posted:

Hades, on the other hand, really is incredibly fun and deserves GOTY nods.

I've been a huge fan of everything Supergiant has put out and so seeing how big Hades has gotten this year has been pretty nice. None if their games have been unsuccessful by any means, but Hades has been on a completely different level.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Colonel Whitey posted:

I hadn’t even heard of Hades until a couple days ago and I have no idea what Blaseball is. I also have not played Animal Crossing. What I’m saying is I’m not very plugged in to the video gaming culture.

Blaseball is sort of a shared hallucination that only exists on Twitter and Discord, so it's super easy to miss. It's also been on break while the devs smash out a bunch of code because they weren't expected this game to get at all, let alone quickly. The fact that it mostly exists on Twitter is also why it swept every poll it was in.

The podcast does a good job of explaining why people are so into it and this video has a more in depth look
https://youtu.be/Y5t8DwnDE1k

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Podcasting is such a host-driven thing that you can probably make any show concept work if you've got enough personality to keep people listening.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Justin's gonna use the new theme selection to stage a coup and turn the show into an hour long Munch Squad

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Pennsylvanian posted:

There was a really awkward moment like ten minutes into it where Travis complains that dice rolls get in the way of story, and the guests trying to hold themselves back from saying "loving what?" was kind of rough to listen to.

That explains a lot about Graduation, honestly. I think just about any Actual Play I've listened to that does behind the scenes or post-mortem stuff will talk about how some huge consequential moment came about entirely due to a player having a creative idea, and then botching/succeeding their roll in a way that the GM has not planned for and now they have to throw out all their planning and go full improvisation.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Pennsylvanian posted:

It feels like they want to sell more graphic novels or TV pilots, so they're making their campaigns way more structured, which kind of keeps them from trying to actively fix what's not working in the moment. I just listened to Amnesty again, and man there was a whole lot of single-character flashbacks and dream sequences and one-on-one dialogues. There were still solid goofs like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5eEMC8lwBQ, but there's so little time where the players are all allowed to talk.

I don't know if it's necessarily a desire to franchise the operation. Griffin mentioned a lot toward the latter half of Balance that Friends at the Table were a huge influence on him, which is an Actual Play that frequently does very good monologues, one-on-one scenes, and big emotional moments (and, like TAZ, benefits a lot from having someone on the cast making music for it). Pulling these big emotional moments worked at the end of Balance because we'd been with these characters for a long time and they put in the work to "earn" it. Amnesty and Graduation asked us to be already invested in the personal drama of some random characters we just met.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
That insane Monster ramble isn't just ad copy, it's printed on every can of Monster Assault. I remember thinking it was weird fifteen years ago, it's wild now that they haven't updated it.

Grunch Worldflower fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 14, 2021

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Democratic Pirate posted:

Give me a stuffed crust pizza slice over a deep dish slice, because at least the stuffed crust slice is pizza.

Hell yeah dude I also get all my opinions from decade old stand-up bits.

Grunch Worldflower fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 16, 2021

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

QuoProQuid posted:

is the dave matthews band or phish game funny if you are familiar with the dave matthews band and/or phish?

Yeah, I gotta imagine the only two people who enjoy the bit are me and Travis but I respect that he's out there making that kind of narrow-focused content.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
It's more generally making fun of the class of lyric-writing where you sing something that kinda works in the moment with the music but doesn't actually make any goddamn sense, which both of those bands do and DMB does hornily.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

So, the answer is “yes” then.

I mean, yeah, whatever get you through your weird obsessive hatred of this podcast you can't stop posting about.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Yeah, Monster Factory is dependent on a game having a robust enough character creator to make something truly heinous. Or third-party tools, in case of the Mass Effect 2 episode.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Every week we get closer and closer to them giving up and releasing the Forbidden Live Shows so they can have a couple weeks off.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Just caught up.to last week's episode. Travis and Griffin just doing a no-sell on Justin's attempted Might Ducks watch was brutal. Murdered by his own brothers on his own podcast.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

number 1 snake fan posted:

Post your flatulence roleplay elsewhere tia

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That's actually my Person Who Complains About Munch Squad roleplaying, thanks.

Confirmed: everyone who likes Munch Squad likes fart play.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Stroop There It Is posted:

The whole "rolling a 1 is a critfail" thing is only actually a rule for attack rolls (in which case it just automatically fails, not even necessary that something extra bad happens) and death saves (a 1 counts as 2 failures), it's just a super common optional rule to use 1s on other checks as "super bad and not just a regular failure" because it's entertaining. That means it's a DM judgement call for when it should just be a fail (like you don't learn anything new on an investigation roll), or whether something dramatically and/or hilariously bad should happen (like you learn something actively incorrect on an investigation roll).

e: :goonsay:

Skills just don't crit at all, on a 20 or a 1. What even is a History crit? You bore the goblin to death?

5e just removes a lot of penalties across the board. It's the most power-fantasy D&D has ever been. Most races don't have any negative stats or attributes (there's a few with bigger drawbacks like Kobold but they're very much the exception) and while there's certain optimal ways to min-max, the only way your character won't keep up with the party is if you intentionally make a bad one on purpose. Most of the old mechanics to punish or limit PCs has been removed.

Does this make for good radio? I don't listen to any D&D actual plays anymore but they all seem to be doing fine without me.

Grunch Worldflower fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 18, 2021

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
I've generally been sympathetic to our southern friends when winter hits them hard, but this Texas situation really drove it home. I've had quantifiably worse weather (more snow, more cold, more wind) the entire time but the infrastructure has been in place to deal with it since before I was born so it's just Normal February.

This loving country.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Colonel Whitey posted:

I know Griffin says Petals is inspired by f&f but it bears way more resemblance to Fury Road once the car battles start

Petals started a couple months after Fury Road came out, so it's pretty safe to guess that it had some kind of influence.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

SpacePig posted:

I sometimes feel like I'm the only person here who actually enjoyed Crystal Kingdom. Glad to know I'm not. Like, I enjoy every arc to some extent, but I feel like Crystal Kingdom and 11th Hour were the show at its best, while everything else was more or less "the show finding its stride" or "serious endgame stuff".

Idk whether it was from listening to it in my loud workplace or accumulated hearing loss from my loud workplace but I couldn't understand a word of the vocaloid singing bullshit in Crystal Kingdom and didn't even know there was lyrics until Griffin acknowledged that a lot of people were asking for them. I still like CK but I wonder if actually being able to hear the songs would have made it my favorite.

As it stands though, I think the show found its stride back in Rockport Limited of three morons saving the world mostly by accident and generous funding.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

The 7th Guest posted:

when the pandemic is over and everyone can go outside, a lot of this cabin fever will end and the mcelroys will just stop tweeting forever

The people who are posting one-handed about McElroy twitter drama didn't go outside before covid and they're not going to start after.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Squack McQuack posted:

Good lord this was the most dire thing to ever come out of the McElroy verse. I don’t know what a Cheesy is and I’ve never played Among Us, but I just watched a several minutes long video of Travis calling a group of video gamers “bad people” to their faces because they wouldn’t play the children’s game the way Travis wanted them to. He is seriously ill and needs to get help or go away for awhile.

Touch grass.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Just Chamber posted:

I also like the new people, I think it's not helped that a lot of the new people have been more at the forefront during covid times and as a lot of their content is at home it's going to be about 10% as good as in studio stuff. Also yea gently caress Adam for being unable to not be weird in the office.

Yeah, a big draw of Funhaus, at least for me, were the in-studio antics. It didn't take long for me to fall off the channel once the work-from-home era started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Impermanent posted:

i don't really understand how eliott kalan hasn't been canceled by left twitter seeing as he was head writer of the daily show during the late jon stewart years and seems like he'd be prime "this is what libs are like" fodder but actually being the person in charge of a consensus-establishing media apparatus ranks far below Extreme Middle Child Syndrome.

Nobody outside this thread knows or cares about the opinions of Eliot Kalan except, probably, his family.