Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Huh. So Dirt 3 and GRID are no longer on Steam, and I'm guessing Showdown is soon to go too. Licensing reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's free on Steam as well.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And on GOG as well.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's got a good look for Mutons tho.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's a badly self-made gif from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HBwQl9eggs

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I was super into early Bureau stuff but by all accounts the reason we got what we got was because the original version just wasn't coming together (due to what sounded like equal parts design problems and studio mismanagement). So in that regard I'm glad we at least got something out of it instead of it just disappearing like a lot games that go through similar troubles.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Escape Goat posted:

Not sure why they don't just charge monthly for it instead of this bizarro hybrid business model.

Because it works for Calladuty.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Warbird posted:

There is a disturbing lack of Cave Story in the recent discussions.

Because Cave Story isn't a Metroidvania.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Grobbit posted:

I seem to remember Super Monday Night Combat doing something dodgy with buttmining in an update that pretty much sealed the deal on it's demise.

They straight up started a "mine bitcoins for us....get SMNC funny money in return!!" scheme.

And it's not just that the playerbase was all or nothing in terms of skill, the top tier players would literally organize newb stomp events right on the official forums. That community reached new heights of sheer toxicity.

IMO the game was also an unbalanced mess.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Barudak posted:

Besides its about a nuclear bomb not a woman at all, I claim, as i wait for the fumes of my fart cloud to reach me over the course of several hours

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Each Arkham game after Asylum ends up having a bunch of positives and a bunch of negatives as they kept tweaking the formula (this includes Origins, fight me). The end result for me personally is that I think City is actually the weakest of the bunch.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think Origins did stealth and story better than City, and I liked the new enemy types. Origins' biggest problem is that they mucked up the melee combat. Though the shock gloves end up alleviating that and also everything else in the game because they're kinda overpowered.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The collectibles end up being more important in Asylum because, IIRC, their XP still contributes to healing you between fights and unlike later games you only have the one health bar rather than it being split between melee and guns. I'm pretty sure a fair few of them are placed as they are to act as glowing green medkits between big fights in case you're really struggling.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah YMMV on the collectibles in the Arkham games (especially in the later ones where actual Riddler content is locked behind them and also the total amount is bloated to all hell) but I at least appreciate the fact that they're not completely arbitrary and accurately reflect the Batman/Riddler dynamic.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's called Rayman Leg Ends because Rayman has no legs, only feet.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In terms of modern day appeal Postal 2's structure is still relatively unique and poo poo like this...

GreatGreen posted:

pissing on people to make them puke then blowing their heads off with a shotgun and then seeing the puke spewing out of their neck stump as their flailing bodies writhe around in a big puddle of piss?
...while childishly over the top and gross, is still kind of hilarious in a "they went through the effort of programming all of that?" sort of way. There's a bunch of other small details like that and even basic poo poo like being able to pour your own trail of gasoline to then ignite which is not at all a thing in games still. That said, even with those meager positives I still would never recommend the game because of, y'know, all the goddamn racism, sexism, and Gamergate support.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sleeveless posted:

I thought the Gamergate thing was something the now-fired GoG social media chud did to promote a sale on the game and had nothing to do with the actual devs? Regardless, Postal 2 is the kind of bad game that's so bad it's actually interesting and with 15+ years.of distance I view the racism in it as a historical artifact of the times in the same way that Superman beating up "Japoteurs" or Deus Ex having anti-government terrorist militias as the good guys.

They literally had Milo show up in one of the expansions.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also I fail to really see the distinction.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Coolguye posted:

they have also been caught on multiple occasions installing spyware on client machines for unknown and uncommented on purposes, most recently they were caught parsing the steam clientregistry.blob to import everything about you. their half-hearted explanation that they were trying to get friends list information for fortnite was met by steam's reps saying "hey there's an API for that exact purpose and it's existed for years, is actually secure, and you've never used them once we can audit that so we know that for sure" so either epic is so incompetent that they don't know how to search public API documents or they're lying through their teeth for some unknown reason.

Part of their excuse was some complete nonsense about not wanting to rely on a 3rd party for that data, which of course is the dumbest loving thing in the world when the data they want is that very same 3rd party's data, who willingly offers it through their official API. Also something about being in a rush to implement Steam friend integration into Fortnite so extremely loving shady shortcuts were taken but obviously only properly addressed once they got caught. In short, either they're shady af or incompetent af. Or as a third option, they're projecting onto Valve thinking that they'd try to somehow cut off their access to the API just to be petty. Basically it all reminded me of when Sony stalled on crossplay by implying that it was other platforms that were potentially insecure and nebulously "dangerous" for kiddies.

Also reminder that one of the masterminds of the Epic Store is the dude who ran Steam Spy, who was more than happy to interpolate useful data about the Steam store for poor beleaguered indie devs who couldn't get what they wanted directly from Valve. And then of course turned around and said that the Epic Store would not be publicly revealing that sort of information any time soon.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's part of the current Humble Choice so you can probably get it + several more games for the same amount of dosh.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The only things that don't hold up with AC2 is that it's still got the marionette control scheme and the PC port is simply adequate. Brotherhood was where they both ditched the former and started doing a better job with the latter.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’ve never seen a Steam giveaway that wasn’t clicking At to my Library. It’s never asked me to immediately download the game.

It happens from time to time, usually because the publisher set up the wrong link or because Steam got confused for one reason or another.

You can always check your account details to see if the game actually attached to your account properly.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Bottom Liner posted:

Is that a new full game or like a smaller side thing? I don’t know what the Saga line indicates there.

The latter. I believe the Saga games tend to be where they hash out mechanics ahead of the next big Total War game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also modern versions of Windows don't suffer from the CPU bug in the first place.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The thing to realize about Dear Esther is that it's a mood piece first and foremost. Approaching it even like other walking sims like Gone Home is going to leave you frustrated.

There is something of a concrete narrative you can piece together if you really want to, but that's better left to reading forum posts laying out theories after the fact than trying to puzzle it out in-situ.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

baka kaba posted:

I played it recently-ish and I didn't really have trouble following the narrative. I mean it's fragmented at first but then the threads start to tie together, and you start to realise what things are actually a reference to. It's definitely an art piece but I feel like that's more about how it presents and explores its story (which is more of a small, mundane, personal tragedy at the heart of it - but those moments can be bigger and more meaningful for the person affected by them, and that's what the game's expressing)

I may have overstated it. It's not hard to figure out what Dear Esther is about, but piecing together the full tapestry is less of a one and done thing and much is left up to interpretation. What I was mainly getting at is that some people have a tendency to assume that Mystery = Puzzle to be Solved and if you approach Dear Esther from a mechanical perspective like that you're probably going to hate it.

AARP LARPer posted:

You guys realize you have to log into a dumbass Ubisoft promo, right? gently caress that noise. Nothing’s worth that.

A Ubisoft game that requires you to log into Uplay? Unheard of! :monocle:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

AARP LARPer posted:

You’re not going to trick me. While you’re watching a video, I will be busy not-watching it. Checkmate.

I don't need to watch the video, because I already bought Watchdogs 2 like three years ago. And subsequently :ghost: logged into Uplay :ghost: in order to play it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

AARP LARPer posted:

Well, well, well...guess who didn't have to sit through a 60 minute commercial like a shitlord to get his free game?

Everyone? You just had to log in and click a button. You weren't forced to watch anything, lol.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like Torchlight 1 had merit at the time (and I'd argue still does to an extent) for being a take on Diablo 1, something not done in years because every other game was trying to be Diablo 2. Then Torchlight 2 came to the party late trying to be Diablo 2 while all of its contemporaries were busy finally moving the genre forward a bit. Made all the worse because the streamlined, casual-friendly approach T1 took was a good fit but applying the same to D2's framework is no easy feat and clearly they didn't nail it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You say that but their shift to F2P seems to have gone full blown idiotic monetization scheme so I'm not actually sure you can play multiplayer with a friend without forking over money.

Edit: Yup. Online friend matches are locked behind the $20 "Core Pack" aka buying a copy of the game like it wasn't F2P.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 21, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

webmeister posted:

My shameful confession is that I haven't played an FPS game since the original Doom.

FPS games usually give me violent motion sickness (splitting headaches and gut-wrenching nausea within about five minutes), so it was probably the last FPS game I've played for more than a few minutes. Never played Half-Life, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Counter-Strike, etc. Doing the exact same stuff in third-person, like say in GTA games, is completely fine, weirdly, and I can play those for hours on end.

Dunno if you've ever bothered to experiment over the years at all (I can definitely understand why you wouldn't; I get the same kind of nightmarish motion sickness on occasion :barf:), but nowadays there's a lot of known strategies and settings to reduce motion sickness in games. Unfortunately there's still no universal settings for it, but in a lot of games if you can generally turn off stuff like the horribleness that is weapon bob (very relevant for Doom) and mess with the FOV and that can make all the difference.

Also due to not being true 3D spaces, older shooters like Doom or its contemporaries generally made the motion sickness even worse. (To say nothing if your machine couldn't even run them at a nice silky framerate.) So more modern stuff might not be as instantly gut-churning as those could be.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

On the flipside, Rime is the only 3rd person game to give me motion sickness and I still don't know how that's possible.

Actually since we're on the subject, the single worst bout of motion sickness I've had in recent memory (that didn't involve a car and a lack of dramamine :() was the final stage in A Hat in Time's first DLC. The level is a cruise liner and for the big finale it naturally hits an iceberg and starts sinking. Cue platforming through the level, but the entire boat is tilted 45-75~ degrees to one side. :barf:

At least in that case it's not hard to figure out why it triggered me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh great, even Sega wants you to vote for their team now. :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

njsykora posted:

Starlink isn't a bad game at all, but you can probably find the Switch version for under $10 in a clearance bin near you and then you also get a cool Arwing toy.

At one point Amazon basically gave the Arwing bundle away for free/paid you to clear out their backstock.

Though I'm terrible at actually getting around to playing anything on my Switch so I'll probably end up loading up the PC version first lol.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

flatluigi posted:

why exactly do you think the same people who go 'yeah I'm not comfortable playing a game by a professed bigot who spent decades of his life openly hating people like me and is just sad he got called out on it' are jumping at the chance to buy and play every AAA game? when was the last time anyone even brought up buying a full price AAA game in this thread about free games?

personally I sure don't pick up AAA games in general for several reasons, especially not at full price and especially not ones i know have labor issues (which, as you point out, is unfortunately most of them)

Well you see you can only care about one thing at a time.

Also "happens to be a bigot" is one hell of a downplaying of someone being a loving nazi.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oopsie woopsie itty bitty indie dev is just a tiny winy nazi fuckface. Pobody's nerfect. uwu

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JazzFlight posted:

I think Torchlight doesn't allow for respecs (I think people modded this in?), which super turned me off. Diablo 3 had an incredible respec-at-any-time-for-free system which allowed for experimentation. I hate permanently going down one path and then learning it sucks after hours of play.

Torchlight 1 didn't have any, but the very first "sample mod" the developers put out was for a respec potion.

Torchlight 2 had an awkward half-measure thing where you could undo the last handful of skill points you spent but that was it. While the most popular mods do have respec options, they're all incredibly awkward kludge solutions like "this potion subtracts 5 from every stat but gives you 20 back" type stuff.

As for the quality of the game itself, I literally just tried to get into TL2 like a month ago (after first trying to get into the original FATE, yes really) and...eh. Even with a big mod pack sprucing bits and pieces of it up, as has been said it's still just blandly competent and focused on literally nothing other than numbers go up. Skills are either uninteresting or redundant, gear tends to severely lack the "every legendary does something cool" philosophy of D3, and you're certainly not playing the game for the story. Maybe modded classes fare a little better, but I wanted to play a barbarian dangit.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JustJeff88 posted:

I did claim a copy of the game, but will almost certainly never play it. Not surprised that it's the product of the shittier half of the team, however.

RCT1 and 2 are games that I love but am utterly terrible at, but me liking them is remarkable because I generally don't like business-sim games. These games just have an aesthetic about them that is colourful and full of levity that really clicks for me. I went so far as to buy a copy of the game for the original Xbox (RCT1 with all the expansions, and amazingly a multilingual version from an era when that was not common), but it was just not playable with a controller. That said, I find the games very hard because, rather than having a "reach this milestone at any time within x years to complete the scenario win condition, it's usually structured as "make sure that these conditions are satisfied at the exact moment that the scenario ends", which I find very difficult as it leads to unintuitive gameplay and Dead Man Walking scenarios that can go on for hours of in-game time. The fact that I struggle to build good coasters and the game forces that in real time also displeases me.

Sorry that small rant there, but I've found myself recently thinking about why I both love and resent these games so much while also being saddened that they have not put out a decent one since 2004. I didn't like RCT3 nearly as much as 1 and 2, but given what came after 3 is a rock star.

Try Parkitect.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JustJeff88 posted:

Oof, I missed that one. AssCreed is such a ludicrous series that playing all of them is impossible

I'll get there...someday.....

I'm currently in the middle of Odyssey because I needed Kassandra in my life, but I'm not lying when I say part of the reason I decided to buy ACO was to get my hands on a working copy of AC3 + the PSP spinoff.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
PS4's aren't free. :colbert: Nice try, Sony.