Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Leperflesh posted:

Remember that bitcoin homeless encampment? I think it was in the florida jungle somewhere. I forget how it was supposed to work.

Didn't some goon make an actual game based on that? I remember playing a choose-your-own-adventure style game.

http://www.beepboopbitcoin.com/

Pro tip: It's worth it to play through to the end. Keep playing until you've won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

14. Roger “Bitcoin Jesus” Ver renounced his US citizenship in order to avoid a shitload of back taxes but accidentally became stateless in the process (which is a really lovely situation), wanted to re-enter the US in order to attend a bitcoin conference but was denied entry because he had this huge tax bill, so then he paid his enormous tax bill and the US State Dept was like "lol thanks for the money but you're still a shithead and we don't want you to come here, gently caress off"

15. The iOS game that paid people penny shavings of bitcoin to keep playing, and then someone figured out how to get the game to pay out all of its bitcoins at once

16. The bitcoiner who came up with "Paycoin" which was an altcoin that was supposed to be guaranteed to be worth at least $20 per coin. And then when the price crashed and he ran out of money saying "how was this ever even supposed to work? I think that there are some fundamental flaws with the idea behind this altcoin!"

17. The bitcoin exchange that was being run entirely on a single ephemeral AWS virtual machine with no persistent storage. They lost all their bitcoins when they rebooted it one day.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Did I miss the bitcoin-hobo CYOA getting posted?

http://bitsim.beepboopbitcoin.com/

Keep playing, the format shifts after a plot twist.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

wayne curr posted:

So how many women are involved with Bitcoin?

Just this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEthXBHsEac

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Azathoth posted:

You are the harbinger of death, Satoshi Nakamoto. You will lead them all to their end.

There must be some kind of way out of here.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The Goatfather posted:

regurgitation is all that normally goes on in these threads

And people say rainbow parties are a myth.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Tricky D posted:

A currency backed by the price of weed. It's like the perfect replacement for the gold standard.

Money that grows on... well I suppose it's not trees exactly, but eh, close enough.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Novo posted:

the design work is easy: previous bitcoin prices -> machine learning! -> future bitcoin prices

where he'll fail is the implementation

(Looks at graph of price history) "This is easy! You just buy in here, at the low point, then sell right here at the next peak. Then do that again, here and here. And here and here. Man, I can't believe no one has figured this out before! I'm going to be rich!"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

Why wouldn't Crowley just review the food and the woman who made the salad got a rating that way. That's how we do it now. It doesn't just work, it's the best way.
Why is there a forum filled with people doing something with bitcoin to guess how tasty something is based on a picture taken with a phone.

Well you see, the only people who'd be bothering to rate the tastiness of food pictures in exchange for penny shavings would be poor people... who probably couldn't afford the very food they're rating. This allows Crowley to feel superior to them, without ever needing to bother to even find out anything about them.

It's the same reason he doesn't just steal the autonomous intelligent lawnmowers, murder them, and sell them for parts. He'd rather have the feeling of having slaves working his land (mechanical slaves, yes, but still self-aware enough for his taste) than get the money for a used carburetor.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Just call up the central Bitcoin dispatch and get them to reverse the transaction.

Or have FDIC cover the depositors' funds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Kim Dotcom is bringing Megaupload back, and this time it's apparently going to have bitcoins awkwardly stapled on.

quote:

This system will be called Bitcache and Dotcom claimed its launch would send the bitcoin price soaring way above its current $575 value.

The launch of Megaupload 2.0 will take place on Jan. 20, 2017, he said, urging people to “buy bitcoin while cheap, like right now, trust me.” Bitcoin’s value fell sharply this week after a $72 million theft from the Hong Kong exchange Bitfinex, though it subsequently bounced back to a degree.

Crucially, Dotcom said the Bitcache system would overcome bitcoin’s scaling problems. “It eliminates all blockchain limitations,” he claimed.

http://fortune.com/2016/08/05/bitcoin-megaupload-kim-dotcom/

https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/761377836271894528

https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/761380995824168960

• Locked thread