Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Maldoror posted:

The bitcoin install needs 20 gigs because it works by storing every transaction ever made on every client.

This is a lot of work for my weed I added to my web cart. But I guess it's better than getting killed buying from a dealer in the hood?

Curse you, weed!

It's actually a 60 gig download now lol

And that number isn't ever going down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Professor Shark posted:

wait what is the take back payments feature??

RBF (replace by fee) is their genius solution to the problem of your transaction never going through because you didn't pay enough fees, so you can re-initiate the transaction with a new fee so it will actually happen...

Only thing is when you re-initiate it you can also set the payee to someone else, so you can just set it to yourself and the original person never receives the coins.

As stated in the article pretty much everyone thinks this is a terrible idea, but the bitcoin devs put it in anyways so welp!

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 18, 2016

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

wayne curr posted:

Don't forget that the reward for mining coins will be halved later this year.
http://www.bitcoinblockhalf.com/

Effectively halving the income of Bitcoin miners.

Yeah and the only reason anyone is mining at all right now is because miners in China (who control about 90% of the network, as mentioned in the article) need a way to get their money out of the country somehow. The Chinese government limits the amount of yuan that can leave the country to something like 50grand a year, so they're mining coins at a loss and will probably keep doing it because the next best way to get your money out (gambling in Macau) was recently shut down pretty well by the CCP.

If any of this seems to dumb to be true, well, that's bitcoin for you

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Do they still have literal warehouses filled with computers mining bitcoins or did those all burn down?

They're still going, but at least one (that we know of) burned down horribly:

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 18, 2016

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
And if she actually manages to sell them (on an exchange that isn't a scam or isn't crashing, without getting stabbed in a parking lot, etc.) tell her to take a video of the dude when he flips out about it

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
If she doesn't know anything about it, there's a good chance the guy has the private key to whatever address he gave her, and another very good chance he'll try to take them back if she says anything about her plan

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Serak posted:

All of these things are true but you see this is actually good for Bitcoin because

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

GrimGypsy posted:

I think I know the answer to this, but is there any way for them to hit some giant reset button to revert back to a time when mining didn't require a small nation's electricity supply and an investment suitable to open your own restaurant?

I think that's what the bitcoin classic is trying to do, but assuming it actually works, you then have to convince tons and tons of nerds and the Chinese miners who control the network and have invested their lives into bitcoin working as it does right now to use it, just like any other major change.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Parallax Scroll posted:

yeah iirc the "assassin" sent him a random pic of a dead body and was like "yep i killed him" and the silk road guy was like "cool here's 60 grand in bitcoins"

and i think one or all of those times the assassin was a cop

And that assassin was, you guessed it, corrupt DEA agent Carl Mark Force IV who pretended to be a french maid named "Carla" (among a shitload of other stupid things) while attempting to exploit the whole silk road bust for personal profit, and who is also in prison lol

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Professor Shark posted:

Remember when Bitcoiners all invested in an honest from the get go Ponzi? Like the OP said THIS IS A PONZI SCHEME! and people gave him money and told people calling them idiots that the business was fine as long as you knew when to get out?

Jesus those were good times

Yeah so, they're still doing that http://gamblingwithbitcoin.com/bitcoin-ponzi-game/ :cawg:

quote:

Bitcoin ponzi games are based on ponzi scheme which gives you the new investors’ money – the higher the promised returns, the greater the risk of the Ponzi.

The following is a list of investor based games using ponzi scheme, along with any additional information about their duration, their rate of return and fees.
bitcoin pyramid Crypto pyramid ★★★★★ Attract referrals and build unlimited hierarchy, 49% of money goes to your sponsor/referrer, 49% goes to a random member, and 2% goes to the Pyramid as a maintenance fee. Deposit more to increase your income.
doublebot.com btc ponzi DoubleBot ★★★☆☆ Bitcoin investment game which will send twice the amount of your payments back to you. All payments proofs can be found on the main page. Service fee is 2% and you earn a 200% profit.
multicryptos investment game Multicryptos ★★☆☆☆ Online investment game to be played with more than 35 cryptocurrencies. Multiply x2, x10, x100 or even more your investment. Service fee is 5%.
BTC goldmine - ponzi game BTC-Goldmine ★☆☆☆☆ Faucet & investment base game where you can earn 150% profit + return on your Bitcoin within 10 days + referral commission. You only need to buy a gold mine and increase levels.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I think the actual number of Bitcoin true believers who really think it's going to take off any time now is pretty small at this point. However there are still a lot of bagholders who don't want the value of their coins diminished, and would never admit it or even express public views to the contrary. See the admin of the main bitcoin Reddit who will delete any discussion related to the current fracturing of the network. There's an "investment" to protect, and maybe if they wait a bit longer the price will fluctuate back up to 600 dollars a coin (so they only take a 200 dollar loss on each because they bought in at the Mt. Gox bot-price-pump fiasco).

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
You would just enter in ".02" into the software and send it to whatever address. People on reddit even got into the habit of "tipping" fractions of a penny worth of coins before it was banned on most forums for being indistinguishable from spam.

The smallest unit is named after Dear Leader Satoshi

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 21, 2016

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Bitcoin: a currency where "regular tumbling" is a concept.

Gotta obfuscate the source of the coins before they meet the fate of all bitcoin exchanges: getting "hacked".

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I'm sure we can all feel sorry for him for real when he's in prison.

haha yeah right gently caress that guy

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
As far as I understand it, it's all based on assumed risk and supply/demand for trashbags full of deactivated amazon gift cards being exchanged in K-Mart parking lots.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

akulanization posted:

mental illness.

The Kool-Aid Man posted:

OH YEAH!!!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I can't wait for bitcoin to disrupt both home ownership and fire safety.

Uhhhh...

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
That's all well and good friend, but have you read Satoshi 3:16 of The Whitepaper written by the man himself? I think you'll find that all that is good and true lies thusly within the kingdom of His blockchain, father and son of the one true protocol, amen.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Have you ever looked outside and cast your gaze upon the ephemeral silver moon? That's where bitcoin is going soon, friend, so you would be wise to HODL you coins until our Savior returns to us and lifts us all there with his own mighty hands. Meanwhile, we invite you to attend service where you can learn to cast away your doubts and sing praise of His word: http://churchofsatoshi.org/

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

wayne curr posted:

Holy poo poo what's going on in China? Why's there so many god drat Chinese buying up coins over the last few weeks?
http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/volumepie/

Possibly because the CCP has recently made it either illegal or extremely difficult to get your money out of the country. The situation is now so bad that taking a gamble laundering your money out with bitcoin might seem like a good idea.

http://www.chinalawblog.com/2016/03/getting-money-out-of-china-the-reality-has-changed.html

Earlier you could take a limit of 50grand a year out of the country, which is why the bitcoin miners are all in China and were (and still are) desperately trying to get past that limit, and it just got worse.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 12, 2016

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The only way to even ask would be to first find out which of the gigantic Chinese mining warehouses processed your transaction, learn Mandarin, and then see if they send you any response other than "Thanks for the coins, gently caress you."

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I just had to renew my passport in YOOL 2016 and the only option they gave me to pay the fee was a check or money order for christ's sake.

Now if they offered bitcoin however, what an improvement that would be right?

....right?

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 22, 2016

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Quote-Unquote posted:

loving lol, the UK government's chief scientific advisor is a bitcoiner and has persuaded the government to move welfare payments over to a cryptocurrency called 'Govcoin', as a way to force help stupid loving proles the needy to 'manage their finances better'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36785872

what the gently caress

:ughh::ughh::ughh:

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 14, 2016

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

This is actually good for bitcoin because...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Cheap coins!! Value is assured! Buy now while you still can! :shepface: :shepface: :shepface:

• Locked thread