Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

I enjoyed this quite a lot. It was corny but what are you gonna do, it's a comic book show about comic book characters doing comic book things. No complaints, as always Wentworth Miller alone is worth the time watching but everybody else was fun and likable. Brandon Routh looked so genuinely crestfallen when Hunter tells them all the truth, Victor Garber was great, Arthur Darvill was great, Caity Loitz was great :shrug:

Yeah I really liked this, it was so much like a comic book story that managed to pack in both character introductions and a beginner mission. Some great lines too like "I thought we were supposed to be a team". And Dominic Purcell shouting "I love the 70s" almost right into the camera during the bar fight was great.

One thing I can't figure out though - if Captain Cold just wants money why doesn't he license the technology used in his Freeze-O-Ray gun?! It could be worth tens of millions of dollars just from food & beverage industry applications. Maybe he simply likes being a big bad guy, which is fine by me.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Soothing Vapors posted:

Dude this show so far is basically What If Rory Was The Doctor and the answer is he would be way better at it

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The Hawkcouple keep being killed not because of a curse but simply because their relationship creeps everyone out so much they have to be gotten rid of. And Hawk"girl" seems like a weird appellation for someone who is 4000 years old. Her partner is not Hawkboy.

But seriously, if they are immortal through soul resurrection or whatever, and they are traveling through time, they could meet themselves during their adventures and ask for or give themselves advice and remember that meeting when they return to the 'current' timeline :paradox: :derp: :science:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Garber's great and seeing The Atom in action is amazing.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

Okay so can we all take a moment to give some much needed appreciation to White Canary knocking a man out with a giant bong?

Seriously, it's only the second episode and the entire team is already clicking. :allears: I can't come up with the team I like the most but anything with Snart or Sarah is a pretty safe bet.
Yes. Loved that, and her palming a few joints on their way out.
Canary is also able to knock bad guys down with a sword without cutting them. Must've learned that from the League of Assassins. Really. she is great, already better than the sob sister she was on Arrow, and I look forward to her being a give-no-fucks badass in period costume every week.

:master: Legends could have Sara and the team meeting John Constantine in the 80s in England. Oh the possibilities..

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 29, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

Though, Matt Ryan is in his thirties. In 2016. The main possibility is that DCTV Constantine is between the ages of 1 and 9 in the 1980's.

Constantine received a transfusion of demon's blood in the 1980s, keeps him looking younger.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

I like the people trying to explain how dangerous or whatever the villain dude is, like :lol:
"No, but umm...Actually, you see let me tell you my headcanon about why he's so dangerous...:agesilaus:"

It's approaching fanfiction, because nothing in the show or the crossovers have been anything but poo poo on his end. They try to make him 'EVIL" or whatever, but he kills his chief scientist because he's 'EVIL' and a 'MASTERMIND' like what a shitheap boring character. The old dude half of Firestorm makes an infinitely more interesting villain in his 4 seconds of bluffing the bouncer at the black market than whatever they have written for Vandal Savage.
"In 2166, an immortal tyrant named Vandal Savage conquered the world."

This isn't fanfiction, it's the first line spoken in episode 1 part 2.

and the team's biggest fault is that they're trying to use their comic book superpowers against Savage directly. What they should really do is knock out all his support first - destroy (or steal) his financial network, infiltrate and overrun or turn his 'army', etc.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 31, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

CainsDescendant posted:

Rip mentioned that changes to time take a while to fully work themselves out, like cement drying. The ring disappearing was the immediate consequence of the wibbly wobbly, presumably if they'd done nothing about it Martin's past and recollections thereof would have eventually changed to fit the new timeline.

First rule of time travel is, don't think too hard about time travel.

XboxPants posted:

Eh, that's just his powerset. He can shrug off a nuke, but whack him with a sturdy rake and he's out.
Similarly, don't think too hard about superpowers. Firestorm absorbed the energy from a nuclear bomb. This is Firestorm unleashing his full strength energy blast:

This is Vandal Savage, immediately after:

Didn't even muss up his hair. Or knock the buttons off his coat. Or melt them. Or do...anything.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 1, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Xoidanor posted:

Am I the only one that finds the un-focused action scenes incredibly dull? It's literally just the actors running around waving their props. It's like the direction was: "Just do whatever, we'll fix it in post". :psyduck:
It's quite typical for ensemble comic book action scenes. I like the widescreen organized mayhem and it makes rewatches more interesting.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 2, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

The action scenes suffer because most of the team's powers overlap and are visually boring. Hawkgirl flies. Captain Cold shoots an ice gun with no discernible effect. Heat Wave shoots a fire gun with no discernible effect. Firestorm flies AND shoots fire with no discernible effect. Rip Hunter shoots a laser gun with no discernible effect. Atom flies AND shoots lasers with no discernible effect. And sometimes does it while tiny. It's all very samey and kind of boring looking. Canary is the only one that does any actual action stuff.

I watched the nuclear auction fight scene again and maybe there's so much going on you aren't seeing it all.
The ice and fire guns do have effects - and also double as close-combat concussive weapons. But this is not a team of psychopaths so they're trying to stun/neutralize/knock out the henchmen, not commit mass murder.
The real mystery is how they got past security with those huge guns hidden under their coats LOL.

And The Atom in flight is awesome. He's more effective than the Hawkcouple, in the first miniaturized sweep across the room he takes down 6 people in about 2 seconds, grows back to full size and immediately knocks out 2 more.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 5, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Solid episode. When it started I thought the whole team was going to make an entrance in Ancient Egypt in period costumes. Maybe some day.

Stealthed Zombie posted:

So are they going to explain why they can't just take his body to the time ship, wait for Kendra to wake up and then stab him?

Other than "There's 7 episodes left"

1. He's already dead, so killing him now will not end him.
2. Even 'dead', Savage is far too dangerous to take on the Tardis Waverider. If they fail to finixh him he could take it over and become The Master (of Time and Space). Speaking of that I got a kick out of someone yelling in Rip's face, "Why?" like it was a riff on the usual question to a Time Lord of, "Who?". With all his crazy schemes, Jax should just start calling Rip, Dr. Why.

Kwyndig posted:

Legends of Tomorrow: 80's edition!

Back on Page 11,"Binary Logic" posted:

.:master: Legends could have Sara and the team meeting John Constantine in the 80s in England. Oh the possibilities..

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 5, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

-So they can wait until he's healed then have Hawkgirl shank him. They don't have to bring him on the ship, keep him in a 1970s warehouse. Then they can all get super high while waiting for him to heal.
So they stash him in a warehouse and then his followers find and free him and we're back where we are now.. :derp:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Does the fact that Rip has "seen Men of Steel die and Dark Knights fall" imply that there's a Superman and Batman in their universe? Could be a dumb theory, but it was just a random thought I had
That plus the green kryptonite in this episode makes it more than implied.
The Flash exists in this universe, and the Flash is going to meet Supergirl.

BTW whatever happened to the Temporal Bounty Hunter sent by the Time Masters Club? I think he was called Chronos but that seems way too on-the-nose even for this show. I expect him to show up at the worst possible time, whenever that is.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 5, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

BrianWilly posted:

What they should've done was to take Savage and then deposit him in the year 5000.
This is the new "The Walking Dead Season 6 - They Should've Lit the Pit on Fire".

Savage killing Rip's family is a fixed point in time. It has happened, it will always happen. The Time Masters explained this to Rip and he refused to accept it. Nothing the Legends Squad does will change events enough to stop it from happening.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 5, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

Read this as DCTV Doom Patrol somehow and boy did my ears perk up
My ears would freak out hearing "Release the Negative Spirit" on a Legends of Tomorrow/Doom Patrol crossover episode. Or Cliff Steele looking at The Atom's suit and sneering something like, "Cute outfit".

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

XboxPants posted:

As much as I complained about the larger narrative stuff, I really like the way they're structuring the individual episodes with little C-plots between just 2 characters. It's a great opportunity to flesh out the relationship dynamics between the cast quickly - Stein/Ray, Sara/Kendra, etc. Reminds me a bit of what they did in the old Justice League cartoon. And like you said, they're actually building good chemistry between these people, too. Even Jackson the Natural Athlete.

Yes, it's great that this group really only operates as a team occasionally, and is mostly a collection of strong individuals each with their own motivations and morals often operating at cross purposes. And at any time, any one of them can say "You guys wait here Imma go try something" and zoom off (and then mess up the situation).

And really, Rip Hunter is a time-travelling gently caress-up and a fugitive with a legitimate bounty hunter chasing him,. The Time Masters told him not to do what he's doing but he is trying anyway, even though he knows it's wrong.
The essential time paradox Rip refuses to accept:
If Savage is not around to kill Rip's family in 2166, Rip does not steal the Waverider, go back in time, assemble the team, and try to stop Savage.

IOW to see the events that are taking place on this show, Rip cannot and does not stop Savage from rising to power and killing his wife and son.

So now Rip has inculcated these people into helping him and rather than heroes, they're essentially all time criminals. Even though from their own point of view they're trying to save humanity. It's a great conflict within the show.

And to conclude: I had no idea who Caity Lotz is other than actress on Arrow and LoT. Then I saw this. :boom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACP7Gl8WkPk

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 9, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm also seriously beginning to suspect Berlanti only made this show so he could put Caity Lotz and Arthur Darville in sexy outfits, which is A-OK with me.

More about the Berlantiverse: This week The Flash goes to Earth 2 and a tv news report in Central City mentions Mayor Snart.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 10, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

Crashing in a random place and time? NOW it's Doctor Who.

Yes. This was a great episode and next week's looks amazing.

And, as messed up as the Legends teamwork might be, the Time Master's bounty hunter is even worse at his job than they are! And if the timeline is so important to maintain maybe send more than 1 lone guy to stop a squad that includes a demigod, Firestorm, etc.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Soothing Vapors posted:

given that they can't even beat Chronos

Chronos cannot be defeated. The only hope is to convince the Time Lords Masters that Rip is doing the right thing (or his changes to the timeline are acceptable).

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fateo McMurray posted:

Yes, in real life it's bad to dry fire a bow. But it's also bad to parkour around a city and shoot arrows at people in real life. Good thing this is a tv show.

Maybe for you, and for most of the time, but this Friday I'll parkour around and shoot arrows at people.

Archers V. Zombies, should be a lot of fun.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 22, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SalTheBard posted:

Heatwave taking the bosses jacket and becoming the new boss was great. I love Heatwave and Capt Cold.

I liked how brutal and instantaneous that was. Take out the alpha male and the whole gang follows the new guy without even knowing who he is.

And Caity was badass again. Great episode even though the comedy relief of the high school relationship storyline was silly.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

Only if it's 1860's Hawkman and he's super racist. With mutton chops and a serious, inappropriate bias against Jax.
...and Stein.

computer parts posted:

Also, how many episodes until we get a future/past Hawkman to replace the dead one?

How many episodes until Hawk meets an earlier incarnation of herself ?

Wheat Loaf posted:

It would be better if Savage had more of an active plan he was clearly working towards that the team needed to stop.
Gathering an army of devout followers and taking over the planet is not enough of an active plan?!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Gideon is such a goofy talking computer it should have been named X-Po 2 for delivering too much exposition whenever necessary.

Bad Moon posted:

Stein the Time Pirate Space Ranger owns. Who would hate this show?
Yes. Add in some Caity Lotz fighting scenes, Atom action and the strange relationship between Snart and Mick and this was one of the best episodes so far.
The Rip Hunter backstory seems to be apart and aloof from the other characters' motivations and actions, but it's nice to get more of his past filled in.
But the Time Masters are such shitheads. Why do so many organizations have to have the familiar "no love allowed" regulation?! LOL. (Like the Nights Watch in Game of Thrones}. "As a Time Master, you are not allowed close personal relationships" seems like a rule made to be broken.

lotus circle posted:

It's pretty sad state of affairs that the Mick and Snart partnership is far more compelling than any half-baked romances they create. Why the hell are they hooking Kendra and Ray up when she literally turned him down an episode ago. And in terms of the continuity she rejected him maybe a few hours ago.

That's not a sad state of affairs, it's the craft of scriptwriting. And fairly common to build up a character for an episode or two before killing him off (if that's what happened). Gives the scene more emotional impact as you have indicated.
Kendra didn't turn down Ray before because she wasn't attracted to him, she explained why she was hesitant previously. And was obviously caught up in the moment this episode.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 4, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

All very important questions.

This one could probably be answered by A: SFX budget and B: They're in a location where shooting explosive blasts of fire would not necessarily yield a safe outcome for anyone.

My question: What kind of Time Pirate uses an energy gun that's concussive as opposed to being like an actual laser?

Even Time Pirates are hesitant to go around murdering everyone in their path. The Butterfly Effect stipulates that killing even a seemingly unimportant person could have unforeseen dire consequences to the timeline. OTOH....Gideon had no problem killing them off by blasting all the Time Pirates out into space LOL.
Or maybe lasers would harm the structural integrity of the ship's infrastructure and hull.
Or maybe the Time Pirates just don't want to be bothered having to clean up all the blood spatter from laser blasts. :iiam:

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 4, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Narcissus1916 posted:

The fight scene against the pirates was honestly fantastic.

Captain Cold and Sara's heart to heart allowed both actor's some needed space to emote.

But lord allmighty, all the Rip Hunter stuff remains awful. Its like deleted scenes from some poo poo 70s space show. Referencing Star Wars and Trek just reminds me how derivative and schlocky Rip's material is.
Hey that's not fair! For its time, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century exemplified the highest technological achievements in spandex costuming.

That show also had a Hawk couple.

As for Rip, it would be great if someone a lot like Vastra would make an appearance.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Narcissus1916 posted:

Rip is supposed to come off as Stressed Captain Who Makes Tough Choices, but the show has no awareness that he's completely incompetent.

"the show" through various characters such as Snart and Stein has openly discussed Rip's incompetence in both using the team members and carrying out missions. The whole premise of the series is basically that Rip was incompetent, stole a ship and is now futilely trying to fix his situation.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Guy A. Person posted:

Finally catching up after a few weeks.

I feel like there is a bet going on in the writers room to see how long they can go without having Stein and Jackson become Firestorm.

Don't fret, eventually the two men will hold hands and become a flaming couple

of superheroes.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

Well, that was painfully racist. Par for the course, though.

E: I mean the time period, not the show.

Yeah interactions between police and black men are so much better now.

I really like this show but we're 8 episodes into 16 episode season and there has been absolutely zero progress in their battle against Savage - in fact they've gone backwards and have actually helped him. Because now he's known about Rip's crew chasing him, and their powers/technology since 1958.

Or maybe that's the show's central time paradox - the Legends of Tomorrow are the reason Savage decided to, and was able to rule the world.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Bad Moon posted:

Go Team Kidnap!!!'

These guys are the worst time travelers ever and it owns.

To be fair, Rip was trained by the Time Masters who are also terribly incompetent.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
This show is such goofy fun. Starts out with "don't do anything to attract attention or alter the timeline" and ends up with them in their future-selves superhero outfits not giving a gently caress about anomalies.

Tiggum posted:

Now I want to watch a show about a team of time-travelling thieves, pulling off heists throughout history.
Be careful what you wish for - Hot Tub Time Machine 2 is not nearly as good as you're hoping.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 14, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

This man is wrong, HTTM2 is exactly as amazing as it sounds.
Fine don't take only my word on it.

tessiebee posted:

I love Ray.
You can keep your sarcastic Snart or bad boy Rory.
Sweet, enthusiastic, 'heart is his superpower' Ray is where it is at.

Bad boy Rory? I think Stein causes more problems and gets them into more troubling situations than anyone else.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 14, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
/\Yes there should have been some on-screen flashback or something to give him a backstory.

ShakeZula posted:

For however much they've hosed with the timeline and changed things, if Martin hadn't gone against Rip's orders and intervened HG Wells would have died as a child, so there must be some consideration of their actions in the existing timeline.

i thought HG Wells grew up in England :confused: These Legends have really messed up the timeline!

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 15, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I wonder if Samuel Clemens would have been a better reference (some of his siblings died very young) but for some reason they couldn't use him. I know this is incredibly trivial concerning a science fiction program but the conversation should have been:

Stein: You're HG Wells?
Young Herbert: HG, I like that.
Stein: What on Earth are you doing in America?!

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 15, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Ray "Leeroy Jenkins" Palmer.

Maybe Vandal is right. Monarchies, democracies, dictatorships...we've tried every system and ended up hosed. Maybe the world actually needs the iron fist of a single immortal leader to create unity.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 6, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

nooneofconsequence posted:

Why is everyone in this show so loving stupid

From what I remember of the comic books, The Atom is socially awkward and often gets himself into trouble.

But when he opened the cell door to fight Savage I really thought that it was setting a trap, and Snart + Chronos were around a corner waiting to blast him and toss him off the ship into open space.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fat Shat Sings posted:

At this point I am rooting for Savage.

His speech to Rip about seeing dozens of his children die in his arms to old age over 4,000 years made some sense. He has seen every major civilization fall and has a perspective nobody else does.

Add to that the Time Masters are helping him and talking about how short sighted Rip is. The guy who was a master of time and decided to settle his family in the middle of the bloodiest conflict in Earths history with the death of billions.

It makes it seem like Savage taking over the world and killing Billions actually saves the human race from destroying the planet/extinction and Rip is just an rear end in a top hat that is endlessly seeking revenge regardless of the cost.

I completely agree. As I said earlier, we've tried monarchies, democracies, and many other nation-based forms of government and they all eventually get hosed up.
Furthermore, HeatWave/Chronos and Snart could easily make a deal with Savage to go around stealing stuff and causing mayhem around his devastation. OR the LoT could ditch Rip and work with Savage as a sort of clean-up and rehab crew. So he goes in, demolishes an area and takes it over, then they come along and help people on a local scale, re-building infrastructure for the survivors and helping them crawl from the wreckage. So Vandal gains 'political' power and they can still be do-gooders.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Loved all the action and the high stakes.

But why couldn't these genius superheroes just jam a gun or Ray's helmet against the button in the Oculus to keep it pressed down.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

BrianWilly posted:

So am I the only one who really enjoyed this episode?

I mean, I can empirically see that these clumsy writers are trying their hand at concepts far too profound for their feeble skills to handle, but it was all still kinda cool.

Like...holy dicks, did they just come up with an in-story explanation for the team being colossal fuckups who can't ever make good decisions? It was because they Time Masters were....???....?..controlling them?.....all along!........??

It's such ridiculous bullshit but I like it.

And yeah I hope we get to see a Thanagarian invasion.
It was a great episode. The first 30 minutes featured so much action I didn't realize there was still another half hour to go.
And yeah it was amazing that after all our complaints, the explanation for LoT being so bad at stopping Savage wrapped it up and explained it all.

Since the DC TV universe is completely separate from the movies, a Thanagarian invasion could be a cross-series CW event and involve the Flash, Supergirl and Green Arrow teaming up with LoT.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 13, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

That was pretty excellent, I want to believe she improved that.

While it's certainly in the script, her facial expression did improve the scene a lot.

• Locked thread