Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I'd kill for arms like those of Tom Hopper. But I'm afraid trying for them might kill me first, or at least make me break several tendons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Going to the gym is pretty drat fun. I think a lot of hollywood dudes enjoy it

Hugh Jackman is swole as gently caress and he loves going to the gym. I bet Mr.Forearms has been physically active his whole life and didn't just randomly start getting swole for a pirate show

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hm, he didn't always have fantastic forarms though, very disappointing

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

I'd imagine it's easier to get Billy Bones arms when your job affords you the time to do it, and probably provides the best HGH money can buy.

yeah, no doubt there's tons of chemical assistance for actors getting n staying as jacked as they are

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

savinhill posted:

yeah, no doubt there's tons of chemical assistance for actors getting n staying as jacked as they are

Or you know the fact they can pay someone who can tell them exactly what exercises to do and how to do it. Then go home and have a chef make exactly the food they need to eat. I mean gently caress.. half the battle IMO of working out is eating the right stuff and doing the right exercises. Which is a giant pain in the rear end to do on your own if you're interests lie elsewhere or you have something making it harder then normal to do properly(like type 1 diabetes for me).

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aphrodite posted:

No, Charles Vane was the slow boyfriend on Shameless who liked gigantic dildos and autofellatio.

in my mind that was Vane's life before he took to the seas.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Oh cool we're talking about sexism in the pirate thread

Goons

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

Or you know the fact they can pay someone who can tell them exactly what exercises to do and how to do it. Then go home and have a chef make exactly the food they need to eat. I mean gently caress.. half the battle IMO of working out is eating the right stuff and doing the right exercises. Which is a giant pain in the rear end to do on your own if you're interests lie elsewhere or you have something making it harder then normal to do properly(like type 1 diabetes for me).

Yes, they'll do all this, and do steroids too.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Eh, I'd rather do Rackham than Vane.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I'd prolly regret it, but Flint for me with this kind of justification.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I would do them all in a giant pirate orgy. We'd roll around on deck amidst coats and rum and cannons going off

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Zzulu posted:

I would do them all in a giant pirate orgy. We'd roll around on deck amidst coats and rum and cannons going off

This goon understands the pirate life.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
gently caress Tent 4 Life

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

savinhill posted:

gently caress Tent 4 Life

You cost Randall a leg.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Man watching this shortly after watching the Walking Dead finale is just so crazy. How can one show be so loving good at wrapping this up when one of the most popular shows on TV is so bad at it. How this show doesn't have better ratings than the walking dead is amazing. Pirates are infinitely more interesting than zombies.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If it was on basic cable its ratings would be better.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

TWD is not nearly as good as this show, not by a long shot, but it's still way better than many network TV shows out there like Quantico (oh great, adults doing teeny relationship drama except going to the FBI academy while doing it) or The Vampire Diaries (even my wife stopped watching this show recently citing her reason as being that the show has gone over the top with stupid). I mean, lots of people like those shows I guess and I can't knock them for liking what they like, even if I give my wife poo poo for watching the Vampire Diaries, but there are way better shows out there to watch. The problem is, lots of people don't have premium channels and that's why they watch shows a lot of us might consider dumb, which gives them better ratings.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
As annoying as they are id take both Eleanor and max at the same time any day of the week.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

As annoying as they are id take both Eleanor and max at the same time any day of the week.

W h a t i f M a x t a l k e d l i k e t h i s t h e w h o l e t i m e t h o u g h ?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

W h a t i f M a x t a l k e d l i k e t h i s t h e w h o l e t i m e t h o u g h ?

hahahhaah hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. it would be hard but yes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I was curious what she sounded like in real life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UiR_29ulrc

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

She's not actually French??????? :aaaaa:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

The Spartacus dudes had a special gladiator camp with a few hours of workouts each day and the results were pretty amazing.

Actor Simon Merrells flunked out the basic fitness test at the beginning such as not being able to do a single pullup but got into great shape as a result of the show.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

FrensaGeran posted:

Canadian. Close!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Her accent was just so impeccable and not irritatingly artificial and monotone I can't believe it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FrensaGeran posted:

Her accent was just so impeccable and not irritatingly artificial and monotone I can't believe it.

She should have just moved to Quebec for a few months.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Med School posted:

This show made me realize how much harder it is for men to be sexy as gently caress. Anyone would probably say Vane is a 10 as far as dudes are concerned, and Jessica Kennedy is a 10 as far as girls are concerned, but you never read
Any articles about the girls of the show having to run 13 miles and do 200 pull-ups a day to look the way they look...
http://nypost.com/2016/04/01/what-2000-squats-per-day-get-you/

You're an idiot. Great name/post combo though to be weighing in with, though!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FrensaGeran posted:

Canadians are perennially terrible at pronunciation and cadence. Behold the afore-linked http://www.historyofpiratespodcast.com/ to solidify the point.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Is there another good show out there like this one and Vikings atm?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Immortan posted:

Is there another good show out there like this one and Vikings atm?

It's not really a period piece but Banshee is pretty great for your tits, violence, and rear end fix.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also gorgeous camera work.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm on episode 3 of the series, does it pick up as RT suggests? Right now this show is killing me

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working

Professor Shark posted:

I'm on episode 3 of the series, does it pick up as RT suggests? Right now this show is killing me
I skipped most of the first season. Second is great though and its pretty easy to follow without knowing much about the first.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I liked the first season but 2 and 3 blow it away

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I skipped all of one and two and just watched three with my husband, and I loved it. I'll go back and watch the others at some point. I could ask him questions if I was confused (not often) and I did catch some of 2 when he watched it.

It's a great show, and I love the idea of the characters from Treasure Island being stuck with historical pirates and everything that happens because of that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm halfway through the first season, I'll stick with it

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The evolution of John Silver in this show is spectacular

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Ross Angeles posted:

The evolution of John Silver in this show is spectacular

Yeah, I'd deffo say watch Season 1 solely because of this + other character evolutions. They come quite a long way from how they're originally introduced.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I'm binging this right now - can't believe this was off my radar for so long. I didn't know how badly I wanted a pirate TV show until I was already a season and a half deep. I really love the whole Treasure Island prequel aspect intermingling with the historical aspects and the production and locations are all great. Where is this filmed? I realise all the ship battles are greenscreen but they are great and I need more of them.

But I mainly came into the thread to say that I just watched 2x05 and holy loving poo poo a knife has been plunged into my heart. "James, my truest love." :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Pretty sure it's filmed in South Africa. Watch this on BluRay if you can.

• Locked thread