Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
As usual the framerate is... kinda chugging, but if they manage to make the combat fun (despite saying they're aiming for simplicity) then I'm sure it'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Baal posted:

There is a lady being tortured and I need to go back for a monkey wrecnh, rip this lady
Remind me when you meet Kyle because every scene with him is the height of stupidity.
And his dumb turtleneck wearing in the Mojave too.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Good thing you beat that boss, otherwise he kills the most important NPC: dog. Speaking of which that reminds me, the "true ending" has some real stupid conditions so I hope you saved Pierce with the ice otherwise you're in for an even bigger disappointment.

I appreciate that they tried for RE (well more like they straight up borrowed the RE2 dev team from Capcom), but coming from the first game the change can be annoying. I think the game makes for a lot more fun NG+ runs due to how many modes it gives you. Then again, "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" applies here, so yeah. Especially the weird as hell inventory system.

The camels and exploding flying babies are weird. Also the sound design on the enemies just feels odd in general. I think it improves in the back half for like, 2 or so enemies but it's just so weird.
The first game mostly did giant animals but the mutations were done so well and were so freaky that actually worked a lot, unlike say RE0.

Also worth noting is the loving massive downgrade going from Yoko Shimomura to weird atmospheric music by ???. Mostly guitar twanging for who knows how long. And the battle theme very slowly coming together over the course of the entire game is a neat idea but ultimately obnoxious.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh god I forgot the product placement, Colas were actually super useful ether items.
Your subliminal messaging won't get me Square! Man I sure could go for the smooth and refreshing taste of a carbonated beverage right now though.

HGH fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 26, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Since everyone here love TTB so much, it's on PSPlus sale right now for 10$, along with a slew of other PS1 and PSP titles.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Odin Sphere update: the boss repetition is still kinda annoying. I don't get Belial, he's such an utter pushover, so he's okay as the tutorial boss, but why reuse him after that? And Leventhan's baby form is just annoying because it has so much health but is never a threat.
At least Mercedes got two silly shmup stages, that was a cool addition.

Policenaut posted:

I'm glad to hear that Bamco is making more of an effort to redeem Extreme VS Force. Normally they would simply let the game rot instead!

Stranger of Sword City delayed to April
http://gematsu.com/2016/01/stranger-sword-city-ps-vita-delayed-april
Really? I thought Bamco was being really proactive in maintaining good standing with players now. At least I feel like they've been expending a lot more effort.

So is the XboxOne version not delayed at all?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
3 more years and they'll be joining Lightning in Louis Vuiton interviews.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I mean, he's not wrong, but a lot of people seem kinda rubbed wrong by the more serious parts and deaths and all that due to the high contrast to everything else.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Chicks dig Metal Greymons?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGrU_W_eWtA

This weirdly makes me miss Prince of Persia. Wallrun attacks were great.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
NISA have their press conference at the end of the month, we'll probably see it confirmed or not by then, so wait up a bit I'd say.

EDIT: jesus christ what the hell
Nep's finally made it big.

HGH fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 9, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
There's a nice little blog about Odin Sphere by Atlus.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I heard about that, something about radio shows too maybe?

Also drat, April has a whole bunch of releases now. It's good Stranger of Sword City got moved up a bit cause I have no idea how I'll play everything and DS3 when that hits.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Baal posted:

Everyone buy Cyber Sleuth so I can play the sequel with the English voice acting it so rightfully deserves

What games does Bandai bother doing this with other than DBZ?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
What do people dislike about the translation? I didn't see much problems so far. Maybe I turned a blind eye to some bad sentences or something.

Didn't know that PS4 factoid, that's really cool. Amazing what that crazy petition managed to achieve. Honestly if I hadn't seen so much support I might not have tried it since Digimon was never my thing.

Motto posted:

Cold Steel II's localization is well underway. I've already seen XSeed staff tweeting about voice recording.
Last couple localization interviews I read said that dubbing happens kinda early comparatively. Like, there's still at least 5 or 6 months after dubbing or so.
Then again 5 months would be exceedingly fast.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Summon Night 5 had reaaally clunky dialogue too.
EDIT: Oh that interview mentions Ignition's fuckups and rewrites... Yeah after playing both the original Muramasa and the Vita port I can see why they stopped getting work.
On the other hand, no more gems like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk024-oaFv4

EDIT2: Weird, apparently both these games were originally be handled by XSEED before they changed publishers. Wonder what happened?

HGH fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 15, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
EDIT: Yeah I think the americanized accents work really. The dub's great for what it is.

I find it interesting when he mentioned the original developers called him back on for the rereleases and even made changes in the characters cause of localized script.
I wonder if that sorta back and forth trade happens with other localization companies? Stuff like the exaggerated PROTEIN/MEAT stuff in Persona for example(that's probably more in the original I guess).

EDIT2: There's a huge interview with Falcom about Trails and Ys here.

HGH fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 15, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

it's not quite the same thing, but in Kingdom Hearts' case a lot of Japanese fans see the English dub as the 'real' VAs, partly because all the Disney characters are American in origin and partly because the Final Mix versions of the games (which is what most JP players are familiar with) have the English dub on by default.
Oh yeah, I guess Final Mix would be KH:US or International over there. I always thought this was neat. Reminds me of how FromSoft only put in Japanese dubbing in the latest rerelease of Bloodborne and just coordinated everything with a UK studio prior to that.
Hearing Donald and Goofy and Japanese just... kinda makes me shudder. Although I did grow up hearing them in French and find those great so it sorta depends on your background.

I wonder what a KH on Vita would have been like. SE touched almost every gaming console under the sun.

EDIT: Oh no more Chinese mobile ripoffs

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 15, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Who's the developer/publisher behind this?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Since I saw some people confused about Trillion, all the gameplay info's already explained in-depth on the game site. They've been updating a while now.

I hate seeing people buy something they might dislike so basically know this is half VN (seriously there's a lot of talking), half simulation where you make training decisions(think Long Live the Queen or Princess Maker) to prepare for a fight. Each character has different stats/preferences but you carry some over between them.
Rarely there'll be a 1 floor mystery dungeon level you can go into for loot.
After an amount of actions your timer runs out and you send the current character to whittle down the boss' HP, either dying or retreating along the way. Rinse and repeat.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

In Training posted:

Has there been any word on Exist Archive getting localized.
An Atlus PR suggested they're not doing it, but there's a NISA press event in 3 days so it might be there. XSEED probably have their plate full with Cold Steel 2, and I'm not sure if Aksys have worked with Kadokawa before. Unless they're bringing it over themselves.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Apparently all the titles might be supposed to be references to Gundam show titles?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think this site broke press embargo on something called PsychoPass getting localized by NISA?
EDIT: Oh it's a VN adaptation of an anime.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It'd be best if you could list off what you already have in the genre, that way we can avoid redundancies and see what you prefer.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's weird, I never thought of Japanese games operating so much off of preorder sales like that. Kinda reminds me of SpaceBaseDF9 minus the scam part.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Someone was talking about Asia imports or something the other day I think? Well here's Gundam Breaker 3 in Asian English. Last time that happened they announced a localization not too much later (when's that due anyway?).

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Hey, they laid out the rules: Hearts R sells good and they give us Innocence but uh I guess that didn't happen. I bought Hearts though. I liked it.
Remember "#JRPGVita"?
The guy who started even left Sony at this point.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Popular Human posted:

They're totally going to pull an Axiom Verge - tell people "the Vita port's coming, just wait a little longer" for six months, then pretend there never was a port.

Still bitter about that game.
This camcorder footage of an "alpha" means it's totally coming you guys!
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/22/new-footage-available-ps-vita-version-axiom-verge-coming-soon/

And you know despite all this it's still gonna sell more than whatever darling JRPG of the month we get.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Dehry posted:

The Vita is no longer on Gamestop's system menu. VR is now in its spot. It was moved to the "more" section.

I see they're investing in a new sinking ship.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Here's a small Cold Steel 2 loc blog:
https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDTrails/posts/1343859172306159

Voice recording's gonna start next week apparently.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That's just ripped off from Media Creates' charts (that Gematsu and Siliconera post too) and only applies to Japan.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Nah I think that's 2008.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Apparently there's some random items and accounts that just aren't working/available right now.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Dehry posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/xseed_games

Xseed is showing of the new Senran Kagura. An interesting little tidbit they revealed was that Sony won't allow a physical Vita manual in the west.
For this game or just for new games?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Just noticed my World of Final Fantasy preorder went up an extra $20. The amazon price is still the same at $40. EDIT: Actually so are most other stores, seems like this might just be GS.
Are future Vita releases gonna get price gouged by stores from now on?

HGH fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 14, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm used to the Atlus tax, and I see XSEED is basically making all regular versions collector's edition sized to justify the pricing so it's not that bad. I just haven't had sudden price changes happen to me while waiting for something I ordered ages ago. Really it might just be GS being lovely.

Also SE finally put up an English site for I Am Setsuna and... no Vita version to be seen anywhere.
http://www.iamsetsuna.com/us/

I mean considering how it ended up it's not such a loss but still, kinda surprising.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Poor Dogi apparently gets shafted if Rean's comments on how no one cares about the character echo Falcom's real fanbase.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
...Aksys?
I mean, all I see them doing right now is a tower defense game, Guilty Gear's update, and that awful looking Langrisser reboot.

There's always the 1/1000 chance Spike decide to become their own publisher here?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Megalixir posted:

You could ask the producer? His twitter is tuyatuya3110.

On second thought the game sold 29k units on Vita. Don't bother. If a game doesn't sell domestically, it won't sell internationally, unless it has some gimmicky appeal like Idea Factory.

Isn't it usually the other way around and poor local sales drive companies to recoup through cheap localizations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Translation: We're too lazy to fix our lovely rear end Unity game so you're not getting it.